Favorite VH Album

Van Halen II
    Favorite VH Song

Dance the Night Away
    Last Online

05.08.19 @ 10:10 AM
    Liked 4,223 Times in 2,233 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by snowdog View Post
    It's hard to separate nostalgia/attachment from movies or music, but I still think tons of old movies hold up great regardless of technological or stylistic changes. I can watch Dawn Patrol from 1938 endlessly.
    Agreed. It even works that way for "younger" older movies like Jaws and the Spaghetti Westerns from the 60s. Sure there are some dated things going on, but at the same time there are things you don't get from today's movies due to changing styles. I think Quentin Tarantino is able to use lost vibes from the 60s and 70s in his movies and it helps him stand out from other directors.

There's one thing about old movies I don't feel in newer films. A sense of romanticism. The stars were more of a mystery in their day. No 24 hour cable news and E! network making sure I saw them going to buy groceries and shop for clothes. Cary Grant and Kate Hepburn felt more like gods than people. And the black and white plus the grainy film gave it a fantasy feel too. It doesn't look "real".

I love newer movies too but for different reasons.

2. The Following 2 Members Like This Post:

Baluchitherium
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Drop Dead Legs
    Last Online

11.18.19 @ 05:33 PM
    Liked 3,879 Times in 1,964 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Harpospoke View Post
    Agreed. It even works that way for "younger" older movies like Jaws and the Spaghetti Westerns from the 60s. Sure there are some dated things going on, but at the same time there are things you don't get from today's movies due to changing styles. I think Quentin Tarantino is able to use lost vibes from the 60s and 70s in his movies and it helps him stand out from other directors.

There's one thing about old movies I don't feel in newer films. A sense of romanticism. The stars were more of a mystery in their day. No 24 hour cable news and E! network making sure I saw them going to buy groceries and shop for clothes. Cary Grant and Kate Hepburn felt more like gods than people. And the black and white plus the grainy film gave it a fantasy feel too. It doesn't look "real".

I love newer movies too but for different reasons.
    Yeah, and in a lot of cases I think old movies are benefitted from being in black and white. Special effects tend to not stand out as garishly, and there's kind of a clean elegance about it and how it makes the actors look. I know many people criticize the older style of dialog delivery that was commonly used, very much "over-acting", but I think that's a holdover from stage work. Movies were new and the acting people knew from the live stages always had to be exaggerated to be communicated to the audiences.

But in general this is why being "dated" has never bothered me about music either. I like that Sun Records stuff sounds like it's from the 50s or 5150 sounds like it's from the 80s the same way that I love that 60s vibe of the early James Bond movies, for example. It's part of the charm to me that art is technologically and stylistically "stamped" that way. But I get why that bothers some people.

4. The Following 2 Members Like This Post:

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen II
    Favorite VH Song

Dance the Night Away
    Last Online

05.08.19 @ 10:10 AM
    Liked 4,223 Times in 2,233 Posts

Yeah, and in a lot of cases I think old movies are benefitted from being in black and white. Special effects tend to not stand out as garishly, and there's kind of a clean elegance about it and how it makes the actors look. I know many people criticize the older style of dialog delivery that was commonly used, very much "over-acting", but I think that's a holdover from stage work. Movies were new and the acting people knew from the live stages always had to be exaggerated to be communicated to the audiences.

But in general this is why being "dated" has never bothered me about music either. I like that Sun Records stuff sounds like it's from the 50s or 5150 sounds like it's from the 80s the same way that I love that 60s vibe of the early James Bond movies, for example. It's part of the charm to me that art is technologically and stylistically "stamped" that way. But I get why that bothers some people.
    Right there with you.

Even today, a black and white photo just looks cooler at times. You ever put a B&W filter on a photo of yourself? You instantly look way cooler.

It works for everyone:

Atomic Punk
    Last Online

11.18.19 @ 11:23 PM
    Liked 2,300 Times in 1,562 Posts

Right there with you.

Even today, a black and white photo just looks cooler at times. You ever put a B&W filter on a photo of yourself? You instantly look way cooler.

It works for everyone:

A lot of black and white Old Hollywood movies look like pretty good.... Especially if they've been restored by Criterion. A lot of them will look better than a lot of 1970's movies.
    Michael Caine on Jaws: The Revenge:

"I have never seen it, but by all accounts it is terrible. However, I have seen the house that it built and it is terrific."

Samuel Johnson 1775 : “Patriotism is the last refuge of a scoundrel”

"McDonalds is The Antichrist" - Bill Hicks

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jSH6ofHbeUw

"See, if you look at the drug war from a purely economic point of view, the role of the government is to protect the drug cartel." - Economist Milton Friedman (1991)

7. The Following 2 Members Like This Post:

Banned!
    Last Online

11.25.18 @ 07:41 PM
    Liked 11,189 Times in 6,765 Posts

Originally, Spielberg was going to film Schindler's List in color but felt that it would take away from the somber nature of the topic or something like that.

Also, he said that's how we know The Holocaust: in black & white. That's how we were taught it, in history books and film footage etc. Makes sense.

9. The Following 2 Members Like This Post:

Baluchitherium
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Drop Dead Legs
    Last Online

11.18.19 @ 05:33 PM
    Liked 3,879 Times in 1,964 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by CaboChris View Post
    Originally, Spielberg was going to film Schindler's List in color but felt that it would take away from the somber nature of the topic or something like that.

Also, he said that's how we know The Holocaust: in black & white. That's how we were taught it, in history books and film footage etc. Makes sense.
    Or at the other end of the spectrum, Young Frankenstein was filmed in b/w to match the 30s movies' feel so the parody would work better.

11. The Following 2 Members Like This Post:

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Panama
    Last Online

11.18.19 @ 07:02 PM
    Liked 9,166 Times in 6,595 Posts

Premium Member

Right there with you.

It works for everyone:

Dave, IMO, needs all the help he can get at this point....
    "There's too many people on this basketball that's floating around the sun, who are too afraid to allow themselves to FEEL" - Edward Van Halen
    "Van Halen was never about the singer..." - A very wise fan.
    "Embrace the past. Live in the moment but keep your eyes on the future, and keep on moving forward..." - Richie Sambora

13. The Following 2 Members Like This Post:

Banned!
    Last Online

11.25.18 @ 07:41 PM
    Liked 11,189 Times in 6,765 Posts

Or at the other end of the spectrum, Young Frankenstein was filmed in b/w to match the 30s movies' feel so the parody would work better.
    Exactly.

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen, WACF
    Favorite VH Song

On Fire
    Last Online

08.08.19 @ 01:55 PM
    Liked 23 Times in 10 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by CaboChris View Post
    I think we've always just asumed that Sam's book is the reason that those two dont talk. I used to believe that but not anymore. Maybe Ed was pissed in the beginnig but after all these years still bitter about it? Nah.

To me, it fits with Ed's pattern which is, once he's done with you, he's done. That's messed up but that's his MO. He doesn't have any communication with people who didn't write a book about him. To my knowledge, he and Gary haven't spoken in many years so it's not just about never forgetting betrayal or whatever.

I agree with you. As far as we all know, Eddie never had a problem with Gary but as you mentioned, Gary himself has said he and Eddie haven't spoken in years. I think Eddie views Gary the same as Sammy; they are part of the past and he probably sees no need to talk to either one of them. I seriously doubt he hates Sammy or anyone, he just has nothing to say to him. Like Gary, Sammy is part of his past and that's probably where he will leave both of them. I'm sure we have all experienced this with people in our lives as well, I know I have. Some people, and things, are better left in the past.

Sinner's Swing!
    Last Online

11.18.19 @ 06:25 PM
    Liked 4,752 Times in 2,142 Posts

Right there with you.

It works for everyone:

I always liked these photos as there are not a lot of pics of Dave with his natural smile instead of the "diamond" ear to ear grin for the camera.

17. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Hang 'Em High
    Favorite VH Album

You name it
    Favorite VH Song

See above
    Last Online

11.17.19 @ 12:11 PM
    Liked 267 Times in 189 Posts

My God it's embarrassing when interviewers don't do their damn research.