Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register

Thread: Without You

Unchained
    Last Online

01.28.16 @ 01:53 PM
    Liked 7 Times in 3 Posts

I think if Eddie is the one who wrote these lyrics for this song, as I think I've read here before, that this is a lyrical plea from him to both Sammy and Dave to come and work things out, and take the music to the next level of what life is all about. Van Halen with Dave and Sammy both did plenty of songs about partyin' and gettin' laid and everything in between. Read the words to this song people, at least those of you that have the cd, and those who don't, go to any VH site with lyrics and read them please. I think Eddie just wants them to all be on the same page.

Think about it. They were the most powerful band in the world at one time, influencing a great many of our lives in alot of different ways. Maybe upon looking back, Eddie knows how much we love that music and he is still very proud of all of it, and his instrumental message is probably the same as ever, but try to imagine where his playing could go if he was inspired by the lyrics, whereas he said he used to never even know alot of the lyrics.

Sammy and Dave have both lived the rock and roll life to the fullest, and surely know exactly what the excess in anything can do to a person. If that is what Eddie is wanting to do, take those experiences, and write about them with the same killer lyrics and conviction that they sang about partying, as well as the most inspired playing of his life, I think we would be on our way. They could make a huge difference to alot of people, lots of old-school fans that might need a nudge in the right direction, and as inspired as the new music would be, it would surely find it's way to many younger people who seem to be really searching for something in the lyrics of the music of today, as alot of new bands are touching on exactly what I've been talking about through this post. Thing is, they, the new bands, are only going to be able to take it so far instrumentally, only as far as their skills will take them. Yet, tons of kids are grabbing hold of the message of the words they're hearing.

Think about how many people would be influenced by new VH music with not only lyrics relevant to life today, but also a level of music that would apppeal to a great many others.

To those of you who think life is all about the party until the day you die, it ain't, and I think Eddie is ready to take it that way. At least that's what I gather from those words to that song. And if you naysayers would just listen to VHIII, I know you can find some stuff on there you will dig. It's all I've had on for a week now, and it kicks ass, just in a different way. And would have kicked even more ass if Gary had been able to sing in his comfort zone of a half step drop across the board tuning. I think Gary being the team player he is, just went in there, didn't stir up any shit, and sang to what he was played. As established as he was from his time with Extreme, I doubt he was going to walk into 5150 like a bull in a china shop and say, hey, I like these jams, but can we tune it down a half step. Who knows? They may have known each other well enough after an album and a tour together for Gary to suggest it while they working up the second album, but so many people bitched and moaned because it's not Dave, it's not Sammy, it ain't about partyin', it's not VH. And for as good of a guy as Gary is and now matter how strong his will is, how would anyone here like to go out and try to please a bunch of people singing live, when they continually slag the guy.
    This guy did what anyone of us here would do given the chance, gave it all he had, and half the fans spit in his face. And we may never know just how great what they were working on could have been. And let me tell you, any VH music is better than nothing, just like all those covers on Diver Down were better than waiting another year for more new music, just like Live Right Here, Right Now was better than waiting another year two for new music. And to those of you who say say VHIII sucked, and Gary sucks, you are entitled to your opinion, but to say new music he and VH would have made would suck without hearing it is just bordering on the closed-mindedness that may be playing a key part in keeping us from getting VH music in any shape of form.

I love Dave and Sammy, love the music they gave us, but please just go up to 5150 and work this shit out, and make it happen. Make a real difference, and kick our ass at the same time. Life is too short. Check the egos at the door, and show us you can work it out. And if they've already done it, and red tape is all that's holding things up, thanks guys.
    John 3:16, Can You Dig It?

People, the 6 wings of the Mighty Van Halen will fly again! Can You Dig It?

You gotta give more than you take! Can You Dig it?

And underneath the arch, it turned into a march,
    and there He found a spark to set this fucker off!
    Set it off, set it off now children,set if off!

We are down the road! I Can Dig It! Can You?

Favorite VH Album

All of 'em
    Favorite VH Song

All of 'em
    Last Online

07.17.17 @ 12:03 PM
    Liked 20 Times in 2 Posts

Donor

No, the song is about working out your own inner problems and demons, if I remember correctly. At least that's what Ed said, maybe he'll change the story later...
    You can lead a horse to water, but that still won't make him a duck!

Little Dreamer
    Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Why would he be writing about working it out with Dave and Sam when at the time the song was written Gary was the "lead singer for life" and Ed's musical "soul mate"?

Top Of The World
    Last Online

05.31.12 @ 04:45 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Originally posted by WARHEAD:
    ...this is a lyrical plea from him to both Sammy and Dave to come and work things out, and take the music to the next level of what life is all about....
    I agree with you, WARHEAD, (I think?). I always felt this song was directed at DLR. But, I didn't see why Cherone would have written those lyrics, I never considered the possibility they were written by Ed.

Of course, this is probably just our interpretation.
    "The last singer was a singer, I am THE singer" - DLR

Unchained
    Last Online

Liked 7 Times in 3 Posts

I'm pretty sure it's been posted here before that Eddie wrote those lyrics, on the pot at that!

I can easily see the inner turmoil interpretation of the lyrics, but I know just from alot of the stuff lately, as well as the fact that I'm going through alot of personal things, for the better, but very personal nonetheless, that after I write a verse with one thing in mind, I will go back and look at it and may have other things that are part of or have been part of my life, come through out of the same lines that I'd written with something else in mind. Almost subconciously writing with multiple meanings, as opposed to Dave's style of where I think he conciously thought out at times how he could word a verse to where it could mean a couple of different things for sure, and possibly a great many other things at the same time.

As I have been trying to get my life on a better track, I have been listening more to lyrics than ever before, and you can draw a positive message out of alot of songs that you may have held in a different light before. I think whatever is the main thing on your mind and in your life at a given time will influence how you interpret things lyrically. I used to listen to the music first and foremost, then the lyrics and the vocals if they moved me.

Having played and made some decent music with people I no longer play with on a regular basis, I know that no matter what problems and differences I have with them, there are times, especially after we do an occasional jam, when I want to play with them again all the time because what we did and are capable of doing is so special.

Eddie said he never had a problem with working making music with Dave, it was living with him that wore him down, and I imagine if anyone of us stayed up all night trying to write our next album, it would be tough to deal with a person of Dave's personality on a dailey basis. I think that for all the differences these guys had off the stage and out of the studio, that they just got off so much on the show and the music that they made it alot further than most would have, and we have the music itself to thank for that.

I doubt Eddie spends alot of his time trying to figure out either Dave or Sammy, as he is probably as sure as anyone that neither is going to change a whole lot after this long. But I have no doubt in my mind, that after making great music with both, music that is very to special to Eddie and a great many people, that he does indeed at times have that desire to play with them again. It's only human nature for people that play music to feel that way. Egos and pride go hand in hand with making music, to an even greater degree I imagine when you add fame and money to the equation. At the same time, they get in the way of people being able to say to each other exactly what they feel.

Dave: Damn Good Times
    Sammy: Both Sides Now
    Eddie: Without You

All these guys want it so bad inside, you can taste it. It's just a matter of getting past all the bullshit, sitting in a room, and being real with each other, even if it goes to some bad places, and then everything can work out. I myself, think they may have already done this, and as soon as Eddie is 100% ready mentally, personally and physically, and a dark "ray" of light is out of the picture, we'll be back on track, cookin' with stream! Do you believe?

Unchained
    Last Online

Liked 7 Times in 3 Posts

I'm pretty sure it's been posted here before that Eddie wrote those lyrics, on the pot at that!

I can easily see the inner turmoil interpretation of the lyrics, but I know just from alot of the stuff I've written lately, as well as the fact that I'm going through alot of personal things, for the better, but very personal nonetheless, that after I write a verse with one thing in mind, I will go back and look at it and may have other things that are part of or have been part of my life, come through out of the same lines that I'd written with something else in mind.

Almost subconciously writing with multiple meanings, as opposed to Dave's style of where I think he conciously thought out at times how he could word a verse to where it could mean a couple of different things for sure, and possibly a great many other things at the same time.

As I have been trying to get my life on a better track, I have been listening more to lyrics than ever before, and you can draw a positive message out of alot of songs that you may have held in a different light before. I think whatever is the main thing on your mind and in your life at a given time will influence how you interpret things lyrically. I used to listen to the music first and foremost, then the lyrics and the vocals if they moved me.

An example, and I may be way off base here, but "Stranglehold" by Ted Nugent, I always thought was about a woman, but it also can be a very spiritual song, and I do believe Ted is about as spiritual of a person as there is, he just has a different way of expressing his views than most.

Having played and made some decent music with people that I no longer play with on a regular basis, I know that no matter what problems and differences I have with them, there are times, especially after we do get the chance to do an occasional jam, when I want to play with them again all the time because what we did and are capable of doing is so special.

Eddie said he never had a problem with working making music with Dave, it was living with him that wore him down, and I imagine if anyone of us stayed up all night trying to write our next album, it would be tough to deal with a person of Dave's personality on a dailey basis. I think that for all the differences these guys had off the stage and out of the studio, that they just got off so much on the show and the music that they made it last alot longer than most would have, and we have the music itself to thank for that.

I doubt Eddie spends alot of his time trying to figure out either Dave or Sammy, as he is probably as sure as anyone that neither is going to change a whole lot after this long. But I have no doubt in my mind, that after making great music with both, music that is very to special to Eddie and a great many people, that he does indeed at times have that desire to play with them again. It's only human nature for people that play music to feel that way. Egos and pride go hand in hand with making music, to an even greater degree, I imagine, when you add fame and fortune to the equation. At the same time, they get in the way of people being able to say to each other exactly what they feel.

Dave: Damn Good Times
    Sammy: Both Sides Now
    Eddie: Without You

All these guys want it so bad inside, you can taste it. It's just a matter of getting past all the bullshit, sitting in a room, and being real with each other, even if it goes to some bad places, and then everything can work out. I myself, think they may have already done this, and as soon as Eddie is 100% ready mentally, personally and physically, and a dark "ray" of light is out of the picture, we'll be back on track, cookin' with steam! Do you believe?

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning, ADKOT
    Last Online

12.09.17 @ 10:25 PM
    Liked 444 Times in 246 Posts

If Eddie wanted either of those guys in the band at that time they would've been in the band. He's not going to write lyrics wishing they were back when in fact he could've brought them back at any moment.
    M*U*L*E