Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Good Enough
    Last Online

02.19.19 @ 02:10 PM
    Liked 1,541 Times in 875 Posts

Default EARACHE: Art's Tune Thread

Seeing Greta Van Fleet* get so much acclaim for playing rock n' roll got me back in the mood to write songs again. I've got a few things both recent and old that I'll eventually post here.

Here's my latest project. I went to high school with this girl. She was an outstanding singer and easily dominated at our school talent shows. However, for some reason she never pursued her talent. Recently we reconnected on Facebook, and I pitched the idea of her singing one of my songs, just for a fun recording project to post on Facebook. She politely sidestepped the issue.

However, she posts old clips she recorded on a phone or boom box in 2006 all the time, so I discreetly grabbed the audio of one of her original songs and covertly turned it into a complete band tune! The top is the original audio I grabbed, the bottom is what I did with it.

Yes, things get out of sync at a couple of points. I had to create a drum track to something that was played without a metronome, so I had to average the tempo every few measures to keep it relatively in line. A stray beat or two out of 2:30 isn't bad, in my opinion. This was my first time mixing vocals, so it was a learning experience. I've gotten feedback that the guitar was too loud, so it's now a full 5 dB lower than the vocal.

Once again she wrote this song, not me. I used pink and baby blue for my graphic because it's a "girl song."

Original

My spin on it

* If you're visiting this thread post-2018, do people still listen to Greta Van Fleet? Or were they like The Darkness and Wolfmother?

Banned!
    Last Online

11.25.18 @ 07:41 PM
    Liked 11,184 Times in 6,763 Posts

Premium Member

I REALLY enjoyed that. That girl has a good voice and the music is great too.

Favorite VH Album

=VH= II
    Last Online

02.19.19 @ 02:05 PM
    Liked 1,917 Times in 989 Posts

Very nice, Arty. Nice guitar licks,, and you're right she is a really good singer. Good stuff man.
    ☩ ☩ ☩

Last Online

02.18.19 @ 11:04 AM
    Liked 1,424 Times in 727 Posts

Premium Member

Very cool - thanks for sharing! What was her reaction?

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Panama
    Last Online

02.19.19 @ 02:36 PM
    Liked 8,560 Times in 6,160 Posts

Premium Member

Way to go, Art!!!
    That was damned impressive. Really cool playing and country vibe. I loved the guitar parts and authentic sounding tone. Your friend is a good singer as well.

Didi she get to hear it? I wonder if she'll consider another 'collaboration' later on? Very neat how you took existing audio and then built a full song around it...
    "There's too many people on this basketball that's floating around the sun, who are too afraid to allow themselves to FEEL" - Edward Van Halen
    "Van Halen was never about the singer..." - A very wise fan.
    "Embrace the past. Live in the moment but keep your eyes on the future, and keep on moving forward..." - Richie Sambora

Good Enough
    Last Online

Thank you for the compliments, one and all!

The next day she posted three "wow!" faces on Facebook. I don't mean to brag, but the words "musical genius" were used (I'm definitely not. Aw, shucks!), which made me feel like Eddie Van Halen for a moment. She said when she was showing it to her husband she got choked up just thinking that someone had put that kind of work into one of her songs.

I'm also relieved she liked it and I got good comments here, because I posted it on The Gear Page earlier just to have people doublecheck my mixing, and they almost had me convinced it stunk! They said I was noodling too much and "burying" her, and the boom box version was better! WHAT?! But this project sent me on a jag of listening to Stevie Nicks on YouTube, and I found the demo version of "Gypsy," which is just her and a piano. I noticed that got the same comments: "Why did the producer put all that stuff on it when all you needed was Stevie's voice and a piano? He ruined it!" So if I'm in the same boat as the guy that mixed a classic rock staple, I guess I've done all right!

Special thanks for the compliments on the guitar playing. I think this is for sure the best guitar stuff I've ever recorded (best thing I've ever done overall of any kind, really), and I realized it brought me full circle. The opening to the guitar solo was the first thing that hit me, and I learned that lick from Jimmy Page at the beginning of the solo to "Ten Years Gone!" The very end, where I bend the low D and then play the fifth, is an Eddie lick. I think he taps it, but I know it's on "Live Without a Net" a lot and on the records various places. And I originally started playing guitar because I wanted to be Waylon Jennings, and the Telecaster with a phaser on it and that rhythm style is straight out of his playbook.

Another point of connection to Van Halen: When I was 16, I remember being so sure this singer should be discovered I wrote a letter to David Lee Roth, thinking he would know just how to promote somebody like that. I remember writing it, but don't think I ever found the nerve to actually mail it.

I just did a couple more tweaks that should make a pretty big difference. For one, I fixed that timing glitch at :51. Second, I suddenly realized that the site I had used to grab her audio gave me a crappy quality MP3. I downloaded it again from another site and got a much better copy, so this new version should show her voice a lot better. I'm talking to her about putting it on Bandcamp for download.

Thanks so much again, everyone!

IMPROVED VOCAL AND TIMING VERSION

7. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Panama
    Last Online

02.19.19 @ 02:36 PM
    Liked 8,560 Times in 6,160 Posts

Premium Member

Again, that was awesome. I really enjoyed hearing those vesrions of the tune.
    It reminded me at times of Richie Sambora's later use of a Tele with that kind of more Earthy organic playing. Back to the roots, so to speak. You're probably puking a bit in your mouth due to the Sambora reference, but you've known me enough online to 'get" that it's meant as a compliment!

I've heard you play like Eddie and Jimmy, and now you put this out there... I think you might be onto something with this guitar playing thing! Haha.
    "There's too many people on this basketball that's floating around the sun, who are too afraid to allow themselves to FEEL" - Edward Van Halen
    "Van Halen was never about the singer..." - A very wise fan.
    "Embrace the past. Live in the moment but keep your eyes on the future, and keep on moving forward..." - Richie Sambora

Good Enough
    Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by RRvh1 View Post
    Again, that was awesome. I really enjoyed hearing those vesrions of the tune.
    It reminded me at times of Richie Sambora's later use of a Tele with that kind of more Earthy organic playing. Back to the roots, so to speak. You're probably puking a bit in your mouth due to the Sambora reference, but you've known me enough online to 'get" that it's meant as a compliment!

I've heard you play like Eddie and Jimmy, and now you put this out there... I think you might be onto something with this guitar playing thing! Haha.
    This is the no-name knockoff Tele that I got at a used shop for $120 in 1994 you might remember me making a video of. Looking back I can't believe at the time I thought I'd made a big mistake! The bass on this is the Squier Affinity Jazz Bass I got off Craigslist in January. It was $135. I just love doing something like this with guitars a lot of people would turn their noses up at!

The bass amp was Amplitube 3 Free, which I only figured out how to use after I saw what Brett was doing with Guitar Rig 5 and I thought, "Okay, I gotta figure out how this stuff works!" I LOVE the bass sounds I get out of this.

Yep, I wish my Dad could hear it. He would feel like those guitar lessons when I was young finally paid off after all!
    Last edited by ArtyBoy; 04.10.18 at 10:34 PM.

Hang 'Em High
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Bottoms Up!
    Last Online

02.18.19 @ 11:22 PM
    Liked 3,126 Times in 2,006 Posts

That's a good tune, man. Nice guitar work. She's definitely got that Stevie Nicks vibe.

11. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Good Enough
    Last Online

She's already put this on YouTube herself, so I don't suppose she'll mind if I repost it here. This is Angie, the writer and singer of the tune. This was her senior year in high school, so they let her do an encore at the talent show. She was 17 here. I was a 16 year old sophomore and thought, "David Lee Roth should know about this. He would know what to do next," and wrote him a letter.

At the time I thought, "I'm just 16. Maybe I'm just impressed because I haven't seen enough in my life." But now, at 47, after going out to see lots of music in bars and watching many of the early seasons of American Idol, I'm still stunned this is a 17 year old. She performs like she's been doing it for 20 years. I played on that stage a couple of times and the only wave the audience did was the kind you see at the Apollo.

Favorite VH Album

II & WACF
    Favorite VH Song

HAIL & Simple Rhyme
    Last Online

01.09.19 @ 01:53 PM
    Liked 10,473 Times in 5,696 Posts

Wow, the tele work was outstanding, great accompaniment & great solo.

Did Art add that track himself, or did he layer a pre-existing track?

If it was Art, the guy should go into the Rock/Bro Country genre, because he'd make
    a great session guy for this kinda music.

Her voice was excellent, as well.
    Very old school, in a good way.

But i really loved that tele.

Good Enough
    Last Online

Yep, that's me! It took about an hour to noodle over it several times and figure out what I wanted to do. But if I was in a band it would probably have evolved over weeks and months of playing it over and over, so I guess an hour wasn't too long to spend.

That's also me on the bass and backing vocals. If I could play drums that's what I would play, but as it is I had to punch it in on the MIDI drum grid. My drummer friend said, "Pretty cool drum stuff for a guitar player."

This project is what got me to look into Fleetwood Mac. A few people said Angie sounded like Stevie Nicks, so I thought, "What was the story on Fleetwood Mac, anyway?" I knew about Buckingham-Nicks and Peter Green and all that but hadn't really read up on them. I was surprised to read Lindsay Buckinghams' role was exactly what I did on this song! So where's my millions?!

I've done another project similar to this one (different singer, different style of music, but adding music to an existing vocal track) that I may be posting later this week.

Favorite VH Album

II & WACF
    Favorite VH Song

HAIL & Simple Rhyme
    Last Online

01.09.19 @ 01:53 PM
    Liked 10,473 Times in 5,696 Posts

What you did on this track, impressed me more than if you had uploaded yourself
    playing an Yngwie solo.

You did something creative, making a song and adding a really cool solo that fit the
    song & enhanced the song.

I really think you should get back out there & play in a band.
    Do music like this, there's definitely a market for it, plus you don't have to be
    an angsty millennial to put it across.

Again, that tele really works.

Hang 'Em High
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Bottoms Up!
    Last Online

02.18.19 @ 11:22 PM
    Liked 3,126 Times in 2,006 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ArtyBoy View Post
    She's already put this on YouTube herself, so I don't suppose she'll mind if I repost it here. This is Angie, the writer and singer of the tune. This was her senior year in high school, so they let her do an encore at the talent show. She was 17 here. I was a 16 year old sophomore and thought, "David Lee Roth should know about this. He would know what to do next," and wrote him a letter.

At the time I thought, "I'm just 16. Maybe I'm just impressed because I haven't seen enough in my life." But now, at 47, after going out to see lots of music in bars and watching many of the early seasons of American Idol, I'm still stunned this is a 17 year old. She performs like she's been doing it for 20 years. I played on that stage a couple of times and the only wave the audience did was the kind you see at the Apollo.

Those kids were screamin' like it was the Beatles on the Ed Sullivan show.

She's really good. Too bad no big talent show craze back then, like now. She woulda did well on American Idol, or something.

Good Enough
    Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by PrideofPasadena View Post
    Those kids were screamin' like it was the Beatles on the Ed Sullivan show.

She's really good. Too bad no big talent show craze back then, like now. She woulda did well on American Idol, or something.
    If I could've gotten the gym going like that, my bags would've been packed the night of graduation and I would've been rolling out for Nashville or L.A. the next morning. But for some reason she never pursued singing, despite loads of people encouraging her. I sent her some notices about open mics in bars just a couple of miles from her, but for some reason she doesn't follow up. As well as the singing, she's got a very Loretta Lynn-like personality that I think people would connect with.

I swear I remember talking to her mom on the phone once and she said she had auditioned for Star Search here in Atlanta and it came down to a tie between her and another girl, and one of the judges broke the tie by giving the other girl a quarter of a star, even though her mom said she clearly kicked the other girl's ass. But I brought that up to her and she didn't seem to know what I was talking about, but said she had auditioned for another show and won a trip to Las Vegas from it. But that was nearly 30 years ago.

Like I told her, even if she was a backup singer, she could be seeing the world from the window of Keith Urban's Lear jet! People make six-figure incomes singing on demos. Even if she never made a dime she'd have lots of great memories from beyond the high school gym. But oh, well! We're all nearly 50 now so I guess it's a moot point.
    Last edited by ArtyBoy; 05.08.18 at 11:59 AM.