Hybrid View

Sinner's Swing!
    Favorite VH Song

Hang `em High, I'm the One
    Last Online

09.18.19 @ 03:22 AM
    Liked 1,845 Times in 1,053 Posts

Default EARACHE: Art's Tune Thread

Seeing Greta Van Fleet* get so much acclaim for playing rock n' roll got me back in the mood to write songs again. I've got a few things both recent and old that I'll eventually post here.

Here's my latest project. I went to high school with this girl. She was an outstanding singer and easily dominated at our school talent shows. However, for some reason she never pursued her talent. Recently we reconnected on Facebook, and I pitched the idea of her singing one of my songs, just for a fun recording project to post on Facebook. She politely sidestepped the issue.

However, she posts old clips she recorded on a phone or boom box in 2006 all the time, so I discreetly grabbed the audio of one of her original songs and covertly turned it into a complete band tune! The top is the original audio I grabbed, the bottom is what I did with it.

Yes, things get out of sync at a couple of points. I had to create a drum track to something that was played without a metronome, so I had to average the tempo every few measures to keep it relatively in line. A stray beat or two out of 2:30 isn't bad, in my opinion. This was my first time mixing vocals, so it was a learning experience. I've gotten feedback that the guitar was too loud, so it's now a full 5 dB lower than the vocal.

Once again she wrote this song, not me. I used pink and baby blue for my graphic because it's a "girl song."

Original

My spin on it

* If you're visiting this thread post-2018, do people still listen to Greta Van Fleet? Or were they like The Darkness and Wolfmother?

Banned!
    Last Online

11.25.18 @ 06:41 PM
    Liked 11,189 Times in 6,765 Posts

Premium Member

I REALLY enjoyed that. That girl has a good voice and the music is great too.

Favorite VH Album

=VH= II
    Last Online

09.18.19 @ 09:56 AM
    Liked 2,444 Times in 1,295 Posts

Premium Member

Very nice, Arty. Nice guitar licks,, and you're right she is a really good singer. Good stuff man.
    ☩ ☩ ☩

Last Online

09.18.19 @ 02:24 AM
    Liked 1,751 Times in 874 Posts

Premium Member

Very cool - thanks for sharing! What was her reaction?

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Panama
    Last Online

09.18.19 @ 07:05 AM
    Liked 9,043 Times in 6,494 Posts

Premium Member

Way to go, Art!!!
    That was damned impressive. Really cool playing and country vibe. I loved the guitar parts and authentic sounding tone. Your friend is a good singer as well.

Didi she get to hear it? I wonder if she'll consider another 'collaboration' later on? Very neat how you took existing audio and then built a full song around it...
    "There's too many people on this basketball that's floating around the sun, who are too afraid to allow themselves to FEEL" - Edward Van Halen
    "Van Halen was never about the singer..." - A very wise fan.
    "Embrace the past. Live in the moment but keep your eyes on the future, and keep on moving forward..." - Richie Sambora

Sinner's Swing!
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Thank you for the compliments, one and all!

The next day she posted three "wow!" faces on Facebook. I don't mean to brag, but the words "musical genius" were used (I'm definitely not. Aw, shucks!), which made me feel like Eddie Van Halen for a moment. She said when she was showing it to her husband she got choked up just thinking that someone had put that kind of work into one of her songs.

I'm also relieved she liked it and I got good comments here, because I posted it on The Gear Page earlier just to have people doublecheck my mixing, and they almost had me convinced it stunk! They said I was noodling too much and "burying" her, and the boom box version was better! WHAT?! But this project sent me on a jag of listening to Stevie Nicks on YouTube, and I found the demo version of "Gypsy," which is just her and a piano. I noticed that got the same comments: "Why did the producer put all that stuff on it when all you needed was Stevie's voice and a piano? He ruined it!" So if I'm in the same boat as the guy that mixed a classic rock staple, I guess I've done all right!

Special thanks for the compliments on the guitar playing. I think this is for sure the best guitar stuff I've ever recorded (best thing I've ever done overall of any kind, really), and I realized it brought me full circle. The opening to the guitar solo was the first thing that hit me, and I learned that lick from Jimmy Page at the beginning of the solo to "Ten Years Gone!" The very end, where I bend the low D and then play the fifth, is an Eddie lick. I think he taps it, but I know it's on "Live Without a Net" a lot and on the records various places. And I originally started playing guitar because I wanted to be Waylon Jennings, and the Telecaster with a phaser on it and that rhythm style is straight out of his playbook.

Another point of connection to Van Halen: When I was 16, I remember being so sure this singer should be discovered I wrote a letter to David Lee Roth, thinking he would know just how to promote somebody like that. I remember writing it, but don't think I ever found the nerve to actually mail it.

I just did a couple more tweaks that should make a pretty big difference. For one, I fixed that timing glitch at :51. Second, I suddenly realized that the site I had used to grab her audio gave me a crappy quality MP3. I downloaded it again from another site and got a much better copy, so this new version should show her voice a lot better. I'm talking to her about putting it on Bandcamp for download.

Thanks so much again, everyone!

IMPROVED VOCAL AND TIMING VERSION

7. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Sinner's Swing!
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Back to the drawing board!

Sinner's Swing!
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Just want to say I checked out that last song, "I See It Differently," again for the first time in a few days -- TERRIBLE! And to think I worked on it for a couple of weeks and didn't see it! You get in a trance and you can't even judge what you're doing. Something better next time!

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen II
    Favorite VH Song

Dance the Night Away
    Last Online

05.08.19 @ 09:10 AM
    Liked 4,223 Times in 2,233 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ArtyBoy View Post
    Just want to say I checked out that last song, "I See It Differently," again for the first time in a few days -- TERRIBLE! And to think I worked on it for a couple of weeks and didn't see it! You get in a trance and you can't even judge what you're doing. Something better next time!
    I know exactly what that feels like. Sometimes even walking away for an hour can open up things you didn't hear.

11. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Sinner's Swing!
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

As mentioned in another thread, I had a song in the Ratt-Dokken-Def Leppard vein that I thought might be a good one for Jacob Deraps and Josh Gallagher. I went ahead and finished up the music track and sent it to Jacob's email. I could see he looked because it went up by exactly one view, but a week has passed and I haven't heard anything. Oh, well. I figured.

So I get to present it to you here! I've done some searching and there may be as many as four or five other bands out there playing `80's-style rock today, so maybe I'll bounce it off some of them. I've also got lyrics and a melody for this but I'll spare you my "singing" (RRvh1 has heard it). This needs a Stephen Pearcy-Joe Elliot sound.

13. The Following 2 Members Like This Post:

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Panama
    Last Online

09.18.19 @ 07:05 AM
    Liked 9,043 Times in 6,494 Posts

Premium Member

Like I said, neat tune and some great playing on there!
    You have some wicked licks in the lead parts! Glad you decided to share it on here. Right on...
    "There's too many people on this basketball that's floating around the sun, who are too afraid to allow themselves to FEEL" - Edward Van Halen
    "Van Halen was never about the singer..." - A very wise fan.
    "Embrace the past. Live in the moment but keep your eyes on the future, and keep on moving forward..." - Richie Sambora