Van Halen 1
    Favorite VH Song

The one's Ed plays on
    Last Online

12.16.18 @ 04:39 PM
    Liked 1,092 Times in 514 Posts

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by Hack View Post
    you're missing my point, once again. regardless of Bond's steroids or his hitting coach prowess, he's saying in that article what i know is true: you don't have to swing uphill, sacrifice your batting average, up your strikeouts/pop ups and rollovers, to attain home runs. would you rather have Yelich or Bellinger ?? that's laughable.

Bellinger 2018 .260 28 doubles 25 HR 76 rbi
    Yelich 2018 .326 36 doubles 36 HR 110 rbi

i'm not gonna change your mind obviously. i promise you won't change mine.

i don't know your history of playing this game. you may have played better and gotten farther than me, and that's all good.

i've faced 98 mph fastballs in my career. i've faced low 90's sliders. played 3 yrs Division 1. got to AAA, got stuck in my career behind David Oritz. never got released !
    in my opinion, going to the plate facing top level pitcher's and blatantly trying to only blast home runs is a slap in the face to pitcher's, and a slap in the face to how fucking hard hitting a baseball is.

i've been teaching hitting for 23 yrs. i'll tell you what i tell my clients about this recent fad. if a team/organization wants their big boy's to take this all or nothing approach, i don't agree with it. however, why the Daniel Descalso's of the world, the Nick Ahmed's of the world/why the 6-9 hitters of the world refuse to move a runner over, try to get a base hit to get a rally started, etc...is beyond me. not every player is built for power.
    do what the Red Sox do, know your role ! some dudes hit bombs, some dudes steal bases (Billy Hamilton, Dee Gordon), have some pure base hit guys for the big boys to drive in. actually have a well rounded team !
    ...if you want the big boys to go all or nothing, i don't agree with it, but i can understand it. (messed that part up. oooops !)
    ...AND ON THE SEVENTH DAY, GOD CREATED VAN HALEN

VAN HALEN IS A LIFESTYLE

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained, Hear About It Later
    Last Online

12.14.18 @ 03:26 PM
    Liked 2,660 Times in 1,824 Posts

Hack,

I know and respect your credentials. You played and coached at a far higher level then me. I also know from your posts over the years that you are a great dude.

That is the thing though, you are so entrenched in it every day doing it the same way for 40 years that you don't see the new trends emerging. It was what worked for you and several generations. Myself included. BUT........The game is changing rapidly, especially at the MLB level. Seismic groundbreaking changes. It is not a "fad".

It is not really at the youth travel level right now. Yet..... I am only talking about the MLB level. It will be years or even decades. First MLB, then the minors, then college, then Highschool and finally Youth Travel.

Several of us have sited the examples. Provided you the stats. Again, this shift is for the Mid Level and lower level talent MLb player. AAA fringe guys. To bring them up to valuable MLB player.

Bonds, Albert P are 1% HOF talent, they didn't need it. Yelich is an extreme outlier, I even provided you with his approach philosophy and exit velocity to explain it.

BTW Cody Bellinger hit 39 HRs in 2017. Yelich's high is 36 and his career average is only 19 per year.

Favorite VH Album

Alex, Dave, Ed and Mike
    Favorite VH Song

The songs with Ed on them
    Last Online

12.16.18 @ 09:48 PM
    Liked 22,942 Times in 11,541 Posts

Premium Member

If everyone in MLB thinks that a game made up of walks, strike outs and home runs is appealing baseball, they are out of their minds.
    Taylor Swift is nice to look at. Adele can sing.

Emperor Brett - "I can't believe you guys are analyzing song-by-song Van Halen III? What next, analyzing the script of Stroker Ace looking for some shred of Citizen Kane?"

David Lee Roth did the impossible. He made Van Halen better. Deal with it!

A man's rights rests in three boxes: the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box

Hurricane Halen - Let's all gingery touch our sword tips!!!

4. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

12.17.18 @ 01:59 AM
    Liked 14,464 Times in 6,286 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Dave's Dreidel View Post
    If everyone in MLB thinks that a game made up of walks, strike outs and home runs is appealing baseball, they are out of their minds.
    Thatís what it is now.
    Webmaster
    VHLinks.com - Your Van Halen Internet Resource Guide
    http://www.vhlinks.com

JamToThis.com
    Audio/Video Trading Community
    Tons of Van Halen!

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by Dave's Dreidel View Post
    I didn't say I liked it. I am an 80s guy to the core.

But as Brett just mentioned above. THAT IS WHAT IT IS NOW. League full of 3 true outcome guys. Walk, Strike Out or HR.

Teams are using the strategy to generate the most runs possible in this new environment VS defensive shifts (taking away the line drive single/double) and super bullpens throwing 95+ gas from each new revliever.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

12.17.18 @ 01:59 AM
    Liked 14,464 Times in 6,286 Posts

I donít think any of us older guys love the game the way itís played now but if teams are winning playing that way I canít see it changing.
    Webmaster
    VHLinks.com - Your Van Halen Internet Resource Guide
    http://www.vhlinks.com

JamToThis.com
    Audio/Video Trading Community
    Tons of Van Halen!

8. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen 1
    Favorite VH Song

The one's Ed plays on
    Last Online

12.16.18 @ 04:39 PM
    Liked 1,092 Times in 514 Posts

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by atomicpunk5151 View Post
    Hack,

I know and respect your credentials. You played and coached at a far higher level then me. I also know from your posts over the years that you are a great dude.

That is the thing though, you are so entrenched in it every day doing it the same way for 40 years that you don't see the new trends emerging. It was what worked for you and several generations. Myself included. BUT........The game is changing rapidly, especially at the MLB level. Seismic groundbreaking changes. It is not a "fad".

It is not really at the youth travel level right now. Yet..... I am only talking about the MLB level. It will be years or even decades. First MLB, then the minors, then college, then Highschool and finally Youth Travel.

Several of us have sited the examples. Provided you the stats. Again, this shift is for the Mid Level and lower level talent MLb player. AAA fringe guys. To bring them up to valuable MLB player.

Bonds, Albert P are 1% HOF talent, they didn't need it. Yelich is an extreme outlier, I even provided you with his approach philosophy and exit velocity to explain it.

BTW Cody Bellinger hit 39 HRs in 2017. Yelich's high is 36 and his career average is only 19 per year.
    i appreciate the kind words my friend. talked to Jake Burger yesterday. he's the best kid i've ever taught/worked with. 1st rounder 2 yrs ago. i asked him about it. Jim Thome is definitely against it. he's an advisor with the White Sox. i've seen Jim on mlb network a lot talking about it. however, one of the main hitting coaches in the system is apparently an advocate.

Yelich doesn't like it, Bellinger does. it seems to me that there are guys in the big leagues currently on both sides of the fence. all i can say is that i'm sticking to my guns til i'm done teaching. drive the baseball. hit line drives as often as humanly possible and the home runs will take care of themselves. be a consistently productive hitter. you help the team and yourself.
    ...AND ON THE SEVENTH DAY, GOD CREATED VAN HALEN

VAN HALEN IS A LIFESTYLE

10. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by Hack View Post
    i appreciate the kind words my friend. talked to Jake Burger yesterday. he's the best kid i've ever taught/worked with. 1st rounder 2 yrs ago. i asked him about it. Jim Thome is definitely against it. he's an advisor with the White Sox. i've seen Jim on mlb network a lot talking about it. however, one of the main hitting coaches in the system is apparently an advocate.

Yelich doesn't like it, Bellinger does. it seems to me that there are guys in the big leagues currently on both sides of the fence. all i can say is that i'm sticking to my guns til i'm done teaching. drive the baseball. hit line drives as often as humanly possible and the home runs will take care of themselves. be a consistently productive hitter. you help the team and yourself.
    At the Youth Travel and High School Level you are mostly working with it will be pretty much the same the next 10 years. As long as local teams don't start a tracking database...and start employing DEFENSIVE SHIFTS....

The reason the White Sox system Hitting Coach is in on it is because he knows MLB teams are deploying Defensive shifts at the MLB level that take away hits from traditional line drives and grounders. He has to prepare his guys for what they will see if they make it to the show. It is adapt or die right now at the MLB level for the Mid or Lower Talent MLB guy. For guys like Mike Trout, it doesn't matter as they are so naturally talented and Strong that they could hit with any approach.

Jim Thome was born 1970. Learn hitting mechanics from 1982-89. Not tough to figure that one out. Pretty funny you mention Thome tough.... he led the League in STRIKEOUTS Three times. 2,548 Punchouts.....lol... More then 1 a game.
    Last edited by atomicpunk5151; 11.02.18 at 01:23 PM.