Register
Save
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    On Fire
    Last Online

07.05.18 @ 04:21 AM
    Liked 157 Times in 74 Posts

Default VH and Social Media

I would have never guessed that Sammy Hagar uses Social Media like Twitter more than Diamond Dave. In fact, as little has Eddie (Janie) uses it he still has more recent posts than Roth.

Social Media seems right up Dave's alley. I'm surprised that he's not been able to capitalize on it. Even CEO's like @JohnLegere have been able to use it to advertise T-Mobile's brand. Roth could have taken his 80's persona and capitalized on it. Its crazy he doesn't use it consistently. Even if it has nothing to do with VH.

Roth show was an interesting concept. I can see how that could run out of steam. But Twitter or Instagram for Dave seems simple. He's a talker and he travels a lot. Seems like a perfect match.

Last Online

08.07.18 @ 08:06 AM
    Liked 2,131 Times in 1,327 Posts

Donor

Social media is ruining the world. I’m glad Dave and Ed stay away from it. They’re old school.

3. The Following 6 Members Like This Post:

Favorite VH Album

The Super Seven
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained/I'm the One
    Last Online

07.17.18 @ 10:40 PM
    Liked 509 Times in 260 Posts

Roth is hit and miss on social media. Like everything else he does in life, he shows up when he feels like it. He had a YouTube show that was quite entertaining. Eddie and Alex post once every blue moon. Anthony posts semi-regularly. Of the current band Wolfie has the most consistent posting presence.

Last Online

09.23.18 @ 08:56 PM
    Liked 10,787 Times in 6,476 Posts

Premium Member

If you consider baby pics a "presence".

6. The Following 3 Members Like This Post:

Favorite VH Album

VH, 1984, 5150, F.U.C.K.
    Favorite VH Song

A few of Daves, a few of Sams!
    Last Online

09.24.18 @ 12:56 AM
    Liked 8,099 Times in 5,831 Posts

Premium Member

Reminds me of that Paul Gilbert instructional video where he talks about his tone.
    The gain, the treble, and the the presence... "You know, the presence?"

Off camera crew proceed to throw wrapped and bowed gift boxes - presents - at him. Haha.
    "There's too many people on this basketball that's floating around the sun, who are too afraid to allow themselves to FEEL" - Edward Van Halen
    "Van Halen was never about the singer..." - a very wise fan.
    "Embrace the past. Live in the moment but keep your eyes on the future, and keep on moving forward..." - Richie Sambora

8. The Following 2 Members Like This Post:

Favorite VH Song

Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love
    Last Online

09.24.18 @ 12:48 AM
    Liked 1,864 Times in 1,151 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by What a Rocker 1973 View Post
    Roth is hit and miss on social media. Like everything else he does in life, he shows up when he feels like it. He had a YouTube show that was quite entertaining. Eddie and Alex post once every blue moon. Anthony posts semi-regularly. Of the current band Wolfie has the most consistent posting presence.
    I think Kody has more of a presence.
    Remember the Heroes - 9/11/01

In 2012, the phoenix has risen!!

"High speed, low drag."

"Look at all the people here tonight!!!" - 10/5/07, 5/20/08 Mohegan Sun

Congratulations to Van Halen as part of the Class of 2007 Rock and Roll Hall of Fame!

Cinco de Cabo @ Foxwoods: "A giant party with live music" - S. Hagar

got tequila?

http://keepitaliveforever.com

10. The Following 2 Members Like This Post:

○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ Number 47's Avatar
    Last Online

09.24.18 @ 01:10 AM
    Liked 8,576 Times in 4,621 Posts

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by Raldo View Post
    I think Kody has more of a presence.
    Yep. Kody was at the gym this week with his mommy.

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

I'm the One
    Last Online

09.22.18 @ 04:39 AM
    Liked 2,360 Times in 1,107 Posts

I don't agree that the process of being active in social media is up Dave's alley at all. Quite the opposite.

If you think about it, being 'active' on social media involves stopping anything you are doing - alone, looking down at your screen - alone, and typing - alone, and then typically, monitoring the response. All things that take a person out of the actual moment they are in around them, regardless of where or when.

I think Dave likes to capitalize on some of the benefits of social media that point eyeballs his way (when he isn't dark like the past year that is), but while he craves attention, I think Dave would rather marvel at a spider crawling on a wall for an hour while drinking his coffee in the morning than a computer screen of a virtual audience.

13. The Following 4 Members Like This Post:

Good Enough
    Last Online

09.23.18 @ 06:41 PM
    Liked 2,787 Times in 1,200 Posts

Premium Member

This is pretty consistent throughout his career. When he is not working sort to speak while he is friendly in person he has always remained private. You heard about his jungle trips etc... back in the day when they would be out promoting a new album. The Roth Show essentially was an extension of his radio gig. Otherwise his private life is and for the most part always has been exactly that private. Some who do not like him make him out to be a class clown seeking attention non stop but its not actually true. The promo for his sisters charity a ways back was a rare item he went public but otherwise he stays out of the limelight. His EMT work really only got reported after the fact when again was out promoting something. He doesn't live his life in public and never has, he works in public.

The only thing that is different now is he simply is not working now, there is nothing to promote as of today. That changes then as always he will work in public again. Some guys do not separate as much work from personal and every time they try a new restaurant or some shit it gets posted. His life and his work are separate entities, I respect that.

15. The Following 5 Members Like This Post:

Favorite VH Album

Women and Children First
    Favorite VH Song

Everybody Wants Some!!
    Last Online

09.21.18 @ 10:44 AM
    Liked 1,197 Times in 734 Posts

Premium Member

If when VH and/or DLR decide to put out new music (I'm hilarious) or go on tour, DLR will likely resurrect the Roth Show.
    Social Media for these guys is like doing press. Something they only do when they have a product to promote.

I would be very surprised if WVH didn't have a second social media presence for interacting with his friends, away from our curious eyeballs.

17. The Following 3 Members Like This Post:

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear About It Later
    Last Online

09.23.18 @ 08:53 PM
    Liked 1,717 Times in 950 Posts

It just seems like their time has passed. They had their moment, and it was a glorious moment. Now it's over. And they're fine with it. Some people fight to make their moment last longer. VH has stopped fighting.
    Little Dreamer

Favorite VH Song

Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love
    Last Online

09.24.18 @ 12:48 AM
    Liked 1,864 Times in 1,151 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Little Dreamer View Post
    It just seems like their time has passed. They had their moment, and it was a glorious moment. Now it's over. And they're fine with it. Some people fight to make their moment last longer. VH has stopped fighting.
    The thing is, I think they have plenty more to offer. Eddie, Al and Wolf were on fire the last tour!!
    Remember the Heroes - 9/11/01

In 2012, the phoenix has risen!!

"High speed, low drag."

"Look at all the people here tonight!!!" - 10/5/07, 5/20/08 Mohegan Sun

Congratulations to Van Halen as part of the Class of 2007 Rock and Roll Hall of Fame!

Cinco de Cabo @ Foxwoods: "A giant party with live music" - S. Hagar

got tequila?

http://keepitaliveforever.com

Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Last Online

09.23.18 @ 04:04 PM
    Liked 104 Times in 51 Posts

It isn't just their moment. Rock's moment is over. Kids aren't listening to rock and nobody cares what adults/musicians listen to because they do not make up the majority of the audience.

This is what Napster brought about. It's our fault. When Justin Bieber can rise to the top, you know something has gone horribly, horribly wrong.

It's going to take a band/song/album that nobody can resist to get rock "popular" again. There has to be a new "Smells Like Teen Spirit" moment that turns the head of listeners in an entirely different direction.

21. The Following 4 Members Like This Post:

Whoa, this is heavy! Jedi McFly's Avatar
    Last Online

09.23.18 @ 12:37 PM
    Liked 3,699 Times in 1,439 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by danielleesale View Post
    It isn't just their moment. Rock's moment is over. Kids aren't listening to rock and nobody cares what adults/musicians listen to because they do not make up the majority of the audience.
    As a part-time guitar teacher I refute this idea. All the kids I teach have a decent grasp of the classic rock acts that you'd find on T-Shirts in Hot Topic. Bands like Zeppelin, AC/DC, Guns 'n Roses, Aerosmith, etc. Bands that have been and still are well branded and present in the media. Kids aren't paying for Spotify and don't waste time torrenting what they don't know. The way these kids consume music is discovery/exploration on YouTube, and then download/stream what they like later.

This goes back to the thread about whether VH is the "Ultimate American Rock Band" or not. Besides fucking up their attempts with Roth and Hagar multiple times a huge part of them not earning that crown is their relative absence from the public consciousness. There's a reason why the 13-year-old kids I teach know "The Ocean," "Back in Black," "Walk This Way," etc. They even know plenty of GnR, a band that wasn't their proper lineup for what, 20 years? But Slash (and to an extent Axl) stayed in the public consciousness.

VH having a proper social media presence would be a step towards solving this issue if they wanted to actively tour and release new music. But they're not doing that, so I guess they figure "why bother?" with social media.

But the time of one music genre dominating the nation is over. There are too many vehicles for media consumption and its far easier to get your music out there. Rock isn't dead, its just never going to be top dawg again. Pop will continue to be at the forefront because its got money behind it, everything else has its niche, but less spotlight.
    Last edited by Jedi McFly; 03.13.18 at 10:49 AM.

23. The Following 4 Members Like This Post:

Favorite VH Album

ADKOT
    Favorite VH Song

Outta Space
    Last Online

09.23.18 @ 06:14 PM
    Liked 734 Times in 394 Posts

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by danielleesale View Post

This is what Napster brought about. It's our fault. When Justin Bieber can rise to the top, you know something has gone horribly, horribly wrong.

It's going to take a band/song/album that nobody can resist to get rock "popular" again. There has to be a new "Smells Like Teen Spirit" moment that turns the head of listeners in an entirely different direction.
    There's always a Bieber. Back in the day there was Shaun Cassidy. David Cassidy. Loads of Biebers. On top for awhile, then on to the next one. Not too many Michael Jacksons, who can get there and stay there permanently.
    I asked a ref if he could give me a technical foul for thinking bad things about him. He said, of course not. I said, well, I think you stink. And he gave me a technical. You can't trust em. -
    Jimmy V

25. The Following 2 Members Like This Post: