Register

Thread: 4 Cable Method

Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Last Online

04.08.20 @ 06:22 AM
    Liked 205 Times in 110 Posts

Default 4 Cable Method

My amp doesn't have an effects loop, but I am running an EVH distortion in front of it. Is is possible, if I get the new Line 6 HX effects processor, to run the 4 cable method with this configuration, and get the appropriate effects in place after the distortion?
    Last edited by danielleesale; 01.27.18 at 01:49 PM.

Last Online

03.31.20 @ 12:57 PM
    Liked 805 Times in 389 Posts

I'm not sure what the 4 cable method is, but I have an answer for you.

Put your effects between your EVH Distortion and the front of your amp, then run your amp on clean and you will be fine.

Basically, your EVH Overdrive is generating all of your gain that the pre-amp in a 5150 would generate. The effects loop on a high gain amp would be between the pre-amp and Power amp. Basically, think of the output of your 5150 Overdrive as your pre-amp (or effects send), and the input of your clean amplifier as your power amp (or effects return).

If you want a lead boost, put it as the last pedal in the chain before your clean amp. Use a line booster or eq pedal as a lead boost.
    "Having an opinion that people disagree with doesn't make you a Douche, arguing with the people who disagree with your opinion and calling them stupid does!" -Me.

Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Last Online

04.08.20 @ 06:22 AM
    Liked 205 Times in 110 Posts

Right, but some effects have to go before the distortion, like the phaser, etc. That’s how I’m set up now.

This has to do with a single unit that houses 100+ effects so getting the effects where I need them to be would usually be done via a cable configuration and placing the effects either before or after the amp in settings of the unit. Whether it can be done when there is no FX loop & just an Overdrive pedal is what I’m wondering about.

Eruption
    Favorite VH Album

Zero thru FW
    Favorite VH Song

One Sky Control Movies
    Last Online

04.06.20 @ 08:59 PM
    Liked 802 Times in 511 Posts

The four cable method is for an amp with an effects loop;

Guitar-> Cable 1-> Front Effects-> Cable 2 -> Amp's Pre amp-> Cable 3-> Loop Effects-> Cable 4-> Amp's power amp-> Speaker

If you must have the phase before the gain stage(s), you will need a separate phase pedal in front of everything.

Banned!
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Panama
    Last Online

03.24.20 @ 07:57 PM
    Liked 9,316 Times in 6,703 Posts

Premium Member

I'm not familiar with that particular Line 6 unit, but I know that certain others by BOSS etc. have effects loop routing for.just that reason - using external pedals and having some effects pre gain and.post gain.

What kind of input/output connection jacks are on the Line 6?

Eruption
    Favorite VH Album

Zero thru FW
    Favorite VH Song

One Sky Control Movies
    Last Online

I looked it up, and apparently this thing has two effects loops, and quite a bunch of other features.
    Looks pretty cool.
    For a grand and a half, I would hope it was able to arrange the effects order, but I wasn't able to find that in the wordage;

https://line6.com/hx-effects/

Actually, at that price, I would expect it to plug itself in

I think it may use the six cable method, which is way over my head

Banned!
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Panama
    Last Online

Premium Member

Hmm, that thing does look pretty impressive. Although from past experience, those types of units have about 30 000 functions that I would likely never use or putz around with.

I recently got a BOSS DD-500 digital delay and was just jamming with it. Same thing - I have three or four basic sounds and probably only use 1/100th of its capability... Haha.

I'd suggest looking at the similar BOSS MD - 500, modulation pedal. Sounds like the OP uses the 5150 Overdrive for his main tone? The BOSS allows you to put phaser, flanger etc. first and then connect the 5150 in the loop, and have tremolo, rotary, slicer, harmony etc. after the gain stage. Then into the amp. Plus, it's less than $500.00 new and is smaller.

Just some thoughts...

Eruption
    Favorite VH Album

Zero thru FW
    Favorite VH Song

One Sky Control Movies
    Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by RRvh1 View Post
    Hmm, that thing does look pretty impressive. Although from past experience, those types of units have about 30 000 functions that I would likely never use or putz around with.

I recently got a BOSS DD-500 digital delay and was just jamming with it. Same thing - I have three or four basic sounds and probably only use 1/100th of its capability... Haha.

I'd suggest looking at the similar BOSS MD - 500, modulation pedal. Sounds like the OP uses the 5150 Overdrive for his main tone? The BOSS allows you to put phaser, flanger etc. first and then connect the 5150 in the loop, and have tremolo, rotary, slicer, harmony etc. after the gain stage. Then into the amp. Plus, it's less than $500.00 new and is smaller.

Just some thoughts...
    Yeah, the Boss sounds a bit more do-able.
    From my past experiences, I've had a couple of bad Line6 affairs, so I'd prefer a Boss product, as well, especially at that cost difference.
    For now though, I'm still old school four cable.
    My mind melts at very low temperatures

Banned!
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Panama
    Last Online

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by turnbuckle View Post
    Yeah, the Boss sounds a bit more do-able.
    From my past experiences, I've had a couple of bad Line6 affairs, so I'd prefer a Boss product, as well, especially at that cost difference.
    For now though, I'm still old school four cable.
    My mind melts at very low temperatures
    There is a pretty well known guy (in VH online circles) who goes by Doug Steele. Awesome guitarist, and a real fan of the six pack. He's also been known to use several of those Line 6 muti-fx boards to get his tones. For the record, I've seen him jam through various equipment, and he's one of those players who could make a Tele through a Pignose sound incredible... But I remember this one clip he did where he talked about his Line 6 freezing up and not working. That got me to thinking - if all your sounds are in one box and the box conks out, you're screwed! That's partly why I do the individual stompbox thing. If my flanger dies? Put a new one on there. If my chorus is acting up? Swap it out. Only my BOSS delay is one of those digital toys with menus and presets, and if it ever died, I don't use a lot of delay for the most part and usually just have my reverb on. Is my setup very versatile compared to those other setups? No.

Yet I have a few tried and true effects without all the bells and whistles. And like someone once said, "Everyone just uses two sounds anyways, clean and dirty..."

10. The Following Member Likes This Post: