Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Girl Gone Bad
    Last Online

02.20.18 @ 01:05 AM
    Liked 1,112 Times in 568 Posts

Default Instrumental Shreddy Tune

Not me playing, but my good friend Noel, the drummer, wrote this tune. Thought you all might enjoy it. The guitar player, Chris Bieniek, usually plays jazz, but he ramped up the gain and let loose here.

People will agree with you only if they already agree with you. You do not change people's minds. - Frank Zappa

2. The Following 4 Members Like This Post:

Favorite VH Album

VH, 1984, 5150, F.U.C.K.
    Favorite VH Song

A few of Daves, a few of Sams!
    Last Online

02.19.18 @ 05:43 PM
    Liked 7,344 Times in 5,259 Posts

Premium Member

I think you have some very talented friends!
    The song sounded great. Shred guitar with some melody thrown in. I liked the octave sequence patterns during the 'main' guitar solo. Reminded me of some Petrucci lessons I've seen in print, and I don't mean that in a bad way...
    "There's too many people on this basketball that's floating around the sun, who are too afraid to allow themselves to FEEL" - Edward Van Halen
    "Van Halen was never about the singer..." - a very wise fan.
    "Embrace the past. Live in the moment but keep your eyes on the future, and keep on moving forward..." - Richie Sambora

4. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Favorite VH Album

All of them
    Favorite VH Song

All Of Them!
    Last Online

02.11.18 @ 04:50 PM
    Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts

Very cool!
    "It takes energy to be negative. There's enough of that going around. Be better than that!"

Eruption
    Last Online

02.19.18 @ 08:24 AM
    Liked 1,022 Times in 545 Posts

Okay, I think these guys are secretly members of Dream Theater or something. The guy's got an awesome drum mic set up and he's playing the double basses like Dave Lombardo, and there's soundrpoofing on the walls like a real studio, and this sounds like a professional mix. Come on! These aren't some guys goofing off after work! Where does your world tour stop next?!

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Girl Gone Bad
    Last Online

02.20.18 @ 01:05 AM
    Liked 1,112 Times in 568 Posts

You are correct, these guys aren't just after work goof offs. Noel is a pro drummer. He teaches, plays in multiple bands and has a Pearl endorsement. He built that studio over the last couple of years and is also very experienced at recording. Middo on bass doesn't get much room on this track, but he's a groove monster with chops out of the wazoo. I don't know the guitar player, but clearly he ain't just a bedroom jammer, he tours around the country in some big shows.
    Last edited by CalFB; 01.22.18 at 02:39 PM.
    People will agree with you only if they already agree with you. You do not change people's minds. - Frank Zappa

Eruption
    Last Online

02.19.18 @ 08:24 AM
    Liked 1,022 Times in 545 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by CalFB View Post
    You are correct, these guys aren't just after work goof offs. Noel is a pro drummer. He teaches, plays in multiple bands and has a Pearl endorsement. He built that studio over the last couple of years and is also very experienced at recording. Middo on bass doesn't get much room on this track, but he's a groove monster with chops out of the wazoo. I don't know the guitar player, but clearly he ain't just a bedroom jammer, he tours around the country in some big shows.
    AHA! I knew it!

I've spent the past several days working on this ballad I had an idea for. I was A/B'ing it with Motley Crue's "Without You' and Aerosmith's "Angel" to make sure I had the EQ levels right, and was finally satisfied. I was thinking, "This sounds like a Bruce Fairbarn production! I'm a genius!"

Then I saw this video and thought, "I'M A JOKE!"

On my tune, there's a little guitar interlude, and it literally took 50 TAKES to get just THREE notes how I wanted them! The guitar intonation seemed off, I didn't like my vibrato, on and on. Then I look at this and it looks like the guy blew through 100,000 notes perfectly in one take. And I'm spending days just trying to get everything balanced and EQ'd.

Used to an Eddie or Yngwie or a Neil Peart or Dave Lombardo was a rare thing, but now it seems like people with amazing chops are falling off trees. Plus everyone's got a 10 camera setup with multicamera editing and giant kits with high end mics on every tom. It still takes my computer half an hour just to grind out a home movie. I don't get it!

Oh, well, you can certainly say I was impressed!