Register
    Favorite VH Album

5150/ADKOT
    Favorite VH Song

Dreams/Blood and Fire
    Last Online

12.12.17 @ 05:23 PM
    Liked 787 Times in 474 Posts

Default Fellow Pittsburghers--Where's Sammy's been?

So I'm heading to the 70th CWBB movie tomorrow and was thinking...son of a bitch if Sammy hasn't been here since 2006, The Other Half show at Starlake. Over 10 years now.

WTF? Anyone care to figure out why?

I don't know about Sammy's pre-VH dates here, but he was always coming here until Ten 13 then he stopped:

'86 Civic Arena
    '88 Three Rivers Stadium
    '91 Starlake
    '93 Starlake
    '95 Starlake
    '97 I.C. Light Amphitheater
    '99 I.C. Light Amphitheater

...then '01....nothin'. In '97, they played "Little White Lie," "Marching to Mars," and "Both Sides Now" pretty often on the radio on DVE. Same with 2 years later "Mas Tequila," "Shag," and "Right on Right." But "Serious Juju," the lead single, they never played. Much less the other singles. And his new tunes haven't been played since then (outside of "It's About Time") until "Oh Yeah." In fact, I was interning at DVE around that time and asked one of the jocks why "Serious Juju" wasn't being played and honestly can't remember the reason they gave. But for that tour supporting T13, he didn't come. I wonder if there was a connection with the radio play?

He came here with Dave at Starlake at the Song for Song as it was a huge tour (and the lawn was pretty full) of course, but nothing in '03 when he did a mini-tour for Live Hallelujah, but again it was just a mini-tour. Then he returned with the VH reunion which was a good crowd, nothing in '05 on that mini-tour with Mike doing the Los Tres Gusanos but again with mini aspect, then came with Mike the next year for The Other Half/Livin' It Up at Starlake. Now the crowd wasn't big that night, but the Bucs were hosting the All-Star game that same very night and they had to have known that. In '91, '93, and '95 they were breaking attendance records in The Burgh, so he's loved here as far as I know.

His mini-tour with Mike the next year (Mad Anthony Express) was a skip and then in 2009 with The Foot, they were scheduled to play at (of all places) Sandcastle, our waterslide park. Then they cancelled without reason. Never came back since then. The '11-'12 Chickenfoot tour was like a half hour long tour so that I get, but nothing in '13 for SH & Friends and no Circle since they started touring in '14.

I have to drive to Ohio, Jersey, and Michigan to see his red ass. Is he mad at us? A Ravens or Bengals guy? Come on Sammy!
    Last edited by DFVH5150; 12.04.17 at 09:20 PM.
    Dave
    VH FOREVER!!!!!!!

Stats:
    BECAME FAN/PSYCHO: 12/91
    VAN HALEN WITH DAVE: 9x
    VAN HALEN WITH SAMMY: 8x
    VAN HALEN WITH GARY: 5x
    CHICKENFOOT/THE CIRCLE: 6x
    DAVE SOLO: 13x
    SAMMY SOLO: 15x (including MIKE/MONTROSE)
    GARY/EXTREME/TRIBE OF JUDAH/HURTSMILE: 7x
    CABO WABO CANTINA: 1x
    MET: Sammy 1x, Dave almost 1x, Gary 2x