Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Favorite VH Song

Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love
    Last Online

12.12.17 @ 10:17 AM
    Liked 1,472 Times in 899 Posts

Love the catalog (with a few exceptions). Wish there was more to hear!!
    Remember the Heroes - 9/11/01

In 2012, the phoenix has risen!!

"High speed, low drag."

"Look at all the people here tonight!!!" - 10/5/07, 5/20/08 Mohegan Sun

Congratulations to Van Halen as part of the Class of 2007 Rock and Roll Hall of Fame!

Cinco de Cabo @ Foxwoods: "A giant party with live music" - S. Hagar

got tequila?

http://keepitaliveforever.com

Favorite VH Album

Balance, 1984, VH I
    Favorite VH Song

Humans Being, I'll Wait
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 05:55 AM
    Liked 56 Times in 18 Posts

I think peopleís view of Van Halen is tied to their age. For me, I was coming of age during the FUCK/Balance/BOV1 period, so I have a pretty strong enjoyment of those albums. Lots of cool memories there for me.

There canít be much doubt that the 6 pack is (for the most part) some of the strongest material ever written by anyone ever, but itís got some filler too. Songs like Loss of Control, In Through the Out Door, and a lot of the cover work just arenít my cup of tea.

It seems like the band went off on a heck of a tangent for 5150, in terms of content and production. That had to be a huge shock for VH fans during that time, so I can see where the fragmentation started. Sammy has clearly written some cheese, but Dave did too.

As pointed out by another poster, my biggest wish in VHland would have been another album or two after Balance. Where the band was at musically and lyrically in 1995/96 was the best theyíd ever sounded. Their live show was top notch sonically too.

No doubt of Edís talent or ability. He was so good live in 2015. His live sound though, too much like a buzzsaw for me. Dave is a heck of a storyteller and lyricist, but unless itís a reunion with Mikey for VH1ís 40th, I dunno if itís worth my money to see live again.

Give us new music. Open up the vaults.

3. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning/5150
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained/Best of Both Worlds
    Last Online

12.12.17 @ 01:16 PM
    Liked 7,838 Times in 4,574 Posts

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dave's Dreidel View Post
    The current guitarist in our band is of my age, so he of course is familiar with Ed and gives him his due. However, the guy I played with before him, was in his 20's, and a reallly good player, not Blofeld good, but really good, and he knew NOTHING about Van Halen.

Stones, Zeppelin, Who, Doors, yep, all of them. VH...nope. They are radioactive for some reason.
    I can vouch for this. I work with this 20 year old girl. We often talk about classic rock and she's a fanatic. All about Zeppelin, AC/DC, Skynyrd etc. Raised by classic rock parents our age. Wikis them...knows their stories...who has died. The whole shebang.

Has NO clue about Van Halen. Her: "The name sounds familiar"
    Me: "uh...jump? Mights as well jump?
    Her: "sounds familiar"

"pan-a-ma ha"!

Blank stare.

It's the damndest thing.

Favorite VH Album

diver down
    Favorite VH Song

drop dead legs
    Last Online

12.12.17 @ 08:17 AM
    Liked 2,383 Times in 1,487 Posts

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by CaboChris View Post
    I can vouch for this. I work with this 20 year old girl. We often talk about classic rock and she's a fanatic. All about Zeppelin, AC/DC, Skynyrd etc. Raised by classic rock parents our age. Wikis them...knows their stories...who has died. The whole shebang.

Has NO clue about Van Halen. Her: "The name sounds familiar"
    Me: "uh...jump? Mights as well jump?
    Her: "sounds familiar"

"pan-a-ma ha"!

Blank stare.

It's the damndest thing.
    I used to show pics of Roth from back in the day to kids I worked with and asked them you know this guy? He was rocks best frontman once. Almost no one ever knew his name or if they did it was yeah that Van Halen guy. Now I know how Tommy Dorsey felt in 1975.
    EVH 1979: Well, actually it's not much of a vacation, because we run everything ourselves. We design our own album cover, we have to be in the office every day to sign checks - the whole corporation revolves around us. Nothing can be done without our approval. We even have photo approval.

6. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning/5150
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by edwardv View Post
    I used to show pics of Roth from back in the day to kids I worked with and asked them you know this guy? He was rocks best frontman once. Almost no one ever knew his name or if they did it was yeah that Van Halen guy. Now I know how Tommy Dorsey felt in 1975.
    This is another time where VH (Ed) dropped the ball. Dave should have been unleashed from day one in 2007. Full on 1980's Dave. Morning, late night, print, daytime etc.

2007 was another golden opportunity to really right the ship in a new way. What will become of them when it's all over?

15 years from now...will kids know who they are?

Favorite VH Album

VH, 1984, 5150, F.U.C.K.
    Favorite VH Song

A few of Daves, a few of Sams!
    Last Online

12.12.17 @ 02:11 PM
    Liked 6,969 Times in 5,005 Posts

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by edwardv View Post
    I'd be more concerned about taking photos of David Lee Roth to work... LOL.
    "There's too many people on this basketball that's floating around the sun, who are too afraid to allow themselves to FEEL" - Edward Van Halen
    "Van Halen was never about the singer..." - a very wise fan.
    "Embrace the past. Live in the moment but keep your eyes on the future, and keep on moving forward..." - Richie Sambora

9. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Favorite VH Album

diver down
    Favorite VH Song

drop dead legs
    Last Online

12.12.17 @ 08:17 AM
    Liked 2,383 Times in 1,487 Posts

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by RRvh1 View Post
    I'd be more concerned about taking photos of David Lee Roth to work... LOL.
    Cell phone dude. But this experiment was done in about 03-04 with 20-25 year olds and I'm sure its much worse now.
    EVH 1979: Well, actually it's not much of a vacation, because we run everything ourselves. We design our own album cover, we have to be in the office every day to sign checks - the whole corporation revolves around us. Nothing can be done without our approval. We even have photo approval.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning/5150
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Premium Member

It's even worse when it comes to Hagar. If VH doesn't register...Sam sure as hell won't.

12. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Last Online

12.12.17 @ 01:49 PM
    Liked 1,596 Times in 982 Posts

Donor

The hard truth is, VH just didn't reach legendary status like Zep, the Beatles, or the Stones. They might have. But they didn't. Mostly due to inept management and extended and repeated hiatuses. It is what it is. Future generations aren't going to remember or laud VH as they do Zeppelin or the Beatles. To be fair, few bands or artists have legacies that rival the Big Three.

14. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Poundcake
    Last Online

12.12.17 @ 10:46 AM
    Liked 305 Times in 225 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Get The Show On The Road View Post
    Yeah, but Big Band Jazz died years ago and Dizzy Gilespie and Charlie Parker are still talked about as fabulous players. Especially in music appreciation classes.

You can't tell the story of pop music without including the electric guitar, and you can't tell the story of the electric guitar without mentioning EVH.

I'm guessing when EVH passes (which hopefully won't be for a while) his legacy will be re-written and some of the dismissive tone towards him will be forgotten. Since he's still alive he doesn't get that "final" judgement and retrospective on just what he accomplished on the instrument.
    Music historians have not been kind to the songs of the 80s.
    Most people claim it was the worst decade of all,so yeah they might just look to blame Eddie for it.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning/5150
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by Van Squalen View Post
    The hard truth is, VH just didn't reach legendary status like Zep, the Beatles, or the Stones. They might have. But they didn't. Mostly due to inept management and extended and repeated hiatuses. It is what it is. Future generations aren't going to remember or laud VH as they do Zeppelin or the Beatles. To be fair, few bands or artists have legacies that rival the Big Three.
    I think Ed will be lauded but as a whole? I gotta agree. Now, we can point to all the teens at the shows but how many of those are kids of people like us and how many attended because of societal influence?

Favorite VH Album

WOMEN AND CHILDREN FIRST/ADKOT
    Favorite VH Song

EVERYBODY WANTS SOME!!
    Last Online

12.12.17 @ 12:29 PM
    Liked 8,717 Times in 4,712 Posts

Premium Member

I can't speak for anything except my own personal experience. All I can say is I took my niece to her first VH show in 2007 when she was 19. She would tell me afterwards that all her friends, both guys and girls, were all jealous that she'd gotten to see VH.

When I took her again in 2012, she told me it was the same reaction from friends. Now, I can tell everyone here that my niece was a bit of a social butterfly. Yes, it's still a small sample size in the grand scheme, but it's probably larger than what some of you guys are describing.

VH is not nearly as big as we'd like them to be. But I also don't think they will be forgotten in 15-20 yrs either. Especially not with as much radio play as VH gets in the US.

Top Of The World
    Last Online

11.26.17 @ 05:36 PM
    Liked 10 Times in 7 Posts

VHI: As I've aged I've found On Fire and I'm The One are the ones on this album I go back to. Eruption/YRGM, ATBL, RWTD has been ruined by hearing it weekly on classic rock radio
    VHII: DOA is a helluva closer
    WACF: The only VH album I can listen start to finish to this day
    FW: Feels way too short, Hear About It Later might be my favorite VH Roth song
    DD: Dreadful, I've resented and hated this band due to how Pretty Woman is played almost twice a day on classic rock radio here in Michigan for the past five years. Worst album VH ever did. Although Secrets is a nice change up and is underrated.
    1984: Girl Gone Bad is still amazing, Top Jimmy very underrated
    5150: The sound of this album does not hold up at all. Cringe worthy hearing how this album was mixed. WCTBL does hold up though, but Al sounds like total shit.
    OU812: Worst VH album by Sam, much like 5150 the sound doesn't hold up and is cringe worthy. Mine All Mine has some brilliance to it though.
    FUCK: Still love Top of The World, Runaround doesn't get played much anymore which is a shame. Pleasure Dome is so dumb, a wasted VH sond that could have been great. Dream is Over might be my favorite VH Sammy song.
    Balance: Best sounding VH Sammy record. Never cared for Seventh Seal at all though. Don't Tell Me has grown on me
    VHIII: Without You should get more love from the band, its a top 10 VH song. Very hit and miss record with a lot of misses
    Me Wise Magic and Humans Being were the best non full album songs which radio has forgotten about
    ADKOT: Dave tried, there is some flashes of good stuff. You and Your Blues, As Is, Beats Working, and Blood and Fire are pretty good. Honeybabysweetiedol is by far my favorite, its just very different and Dave can handle singing it. Stay Frosty is a regretful song, it should be a Top 10 or Top 5 Van Halen song. But Dave just butchers the fuck out of it with his "uh ah ah" verses that he can't sing at all. Its a great song and cringe worthy at times. Oh what could have been.

Favorite VH Album

Alex, Dave, Ed and Mike
    Favorite VH Song

The songs with Ed on them
    Last Online

12.12.17 @ 01:37 PM
    Liked 18,108 Times in 8,946 Posts

As much as Blofeld is wrong on almost everything, he is dead on about the lack of reverence for Ed in younger musicians.

The current guitarist in our band is of my age, so he of course is familiar with Ed and gives him his due. However, the guy I played with before him, was in his 20's, and a reallly good player, not Blofeld good, but really good, and he knew NOTHING about Van Halen.

Stones, Zeppelin, Who, Doors, yep, all of them. VH...nope. They are radioactive for some reason.
    To piggyback on this, there is a list on MSN.com today of the 25 greatest guitarists of all time...guess who isn't on the list?
    Taylor Swift is nice to look at. Adele can sing.

Emperor Brett - "I can't believe you guys are analyzing song-by-song Van Halen III? What next, analyzing the script of Stroker Ace looking for some shred of Citizen Kane?"

David Lee Roth did the impossible. He made Van Halen better. Deal with it!

Preferred pronouns: he/him/his

Hurricane Halen - Let's all gingery touch our sword tips!!!

DONATE TO THE LINKS YA CHEAP BASTARDS!!!!

20. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning/5150
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Premium Member

To piggyback on this, there is a list on MSN.com today of the 25 greatest guitarists of all time...guess who isn't on the list?
    Twenty fucking five and Ed isn't on there? Jesus.

This is why VH will never be revered 20 years from now.

The greatest guitar player of all time and not a peep.