Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast
    Favorite VH Album

The First One
    Favorite VH Song

I'm The One
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 10:56 AM
    Liked 16,486 Times in 9,343 Posts

Default What are some of your opinions on the VH catalog ...

That might be seen as controversial or unusual on this great website?

I will start it off with some of my views from each of the 12 albums:

VH: On Fire is among my 3 favorite tracks on the debut, along with I'm The One and Feel Your Love Tonight.
    VH II: Outta Love Again and Beautiful Girls don't get enough love around here. Very underrated songs.
    WACF: I prefer Fools and Loss Of Control to And The Cradle Will Rock.
    FW: Unchained is probably only my 4th favorite track on FW, behind Hear About It Later, Mean Street and Sinner's Swing!
    DD: I've always liked Dancing In The Streets and prefer it to (Oh) Pretty Woman and Where Have All The Good Times Gone!
    1984: I've always liked Jump and I'll Wait and I think the 1984 album is a little underrated around here.
    5150: I can't stand Why Can't This Be Love, but I totally dig Love Walks In and Inside.
    OU812: Source Of Infection is among my 3 favorites on this album, along with AFU (Naturally Wired) and Black and Blue.
    FUCK: Runaround is my all-time favorite Sam era tune. Not a big fan of Pleasure Dome or Right Now.
    Balance: The lyrics to Amsterdam have never bothered me. I don't care for Don't Tell Me (What Love Can Do) or Feelin'.
    VH III: I actually like one song, Fire In The Hole.
    ADKOT: Outta Space, Big River and Beats Workin' are among my five favorite tunes on this album.

Let the slagging begin.
    "It's so lonely at the top because it's so crowded at the bottom" - Diamond David Lee Roth

"If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving is not for you"

"Be careful what you wish for because you just might lose what you already have"

"Women and Children First ... The REAL Van Halen III"

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

I'm the One
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 07:50 AM
    Liked 1,941 Times in 913 Posts

Premium Member

When WCTBL comes on I get more excited than some other songs that I like a lot better, for some reason. But, then about halfway through I turn it off.

Maybe not controversial but unusual I think to feel that way about a song.

Last Online

12.11.17 @ 10:31 AM
    Liked 2,272 Times in 1,165 Posts

Here's two that I strongly believe, but almost no one else does.

1. Spanked is a killer (misunderstood) song.
    2. VH are actually THE greatest rock band ever.

4. The Following 4 Members Like This Post:

Favorite VH Album

Alex, Dave, Ed and Mike
    Favorite VH Song

The songs with Ed on them
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 11:19 AM
    Liked 18,079 Times in 8,933 Posts

Their catalog is too small.

Six albums in seven years.

Then six albums in thirty three. There is slowing down, and then there is wasting your talents.
    Taylor Swift is nice to look at. Adele can sing.

Emperor Brett - "I can't believe you guys are analyzing song-by-song Van Halen III? What next, analyzing the script of Stroker Ace looking for some shred of Citizen Kane?"

David Lee Roth did the impossible. He made Van Halen better. Deal with it!

Preferred pronouns: he/him/his

Hurricane Halen - Let's all gingery touch our sword tips!!!

DONATE TO THE LINKS YA CHEAP BASTARDS!!!!

6. The Following 2 Members Like This Post:

Favorite VH Album

VH, 1984, 5150, F.U.C.K.
    Favorite VH Song

A few of Daves, a few of Sams!
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 11:23 AM
    Liked 6,969 Times in 5,005 Posts

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by noise next door View Post

I really like 'Spanked', altbough that's a minority opinion 'round these parts.
    And 'the best' is subjective, yet VH are certainly MY favorite rock band of all time. I have a pretty big cd collection, but in actuality it's not even close. VH for the win!
    "There's too many people on this basketball that's floating around the sun, who are too afraid to allow themselves to FEEL" - Edward Van Halen
    "Van Halen was never about the singer..." - a very wise fan.
    "Embrace the past. Live in the moment but keep your eyes on the future, and keep on moving forward..." - Richie Sambora

8. The Following 2 Members Like This Post:

Favorite VH Album

WOMEN AND CHILDREN FIRST/ADKOT
    Favorite VH Song

EVERYBODY WANTS SOME!!
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 10:19 AM
    Liked 8,707 Times in 4,703 Posts

Premium Member

VHI- On Fire is the best tune on the debut. Little Dreamer is in my bottom 10 VH tunes with Dave. It is only my 5th favorite album by VH after WACF, FW, VHII, and 1984.

VHII- Beautiful girls is my least favorite tune on the album and I like VHII more than the debut. You're No Good is the best studio recorded cover by VH.

WACF- LOC is my #3 all time favorite tune. Oh, and WACF is a flawless album, the greatest rock album of all time.

FW- So This is Love? is my least favorite tune on another flawless album.

DD- Where Have All The Good Times Gone is a superior tune to YRGM and my 2nd favorite tune on the album behind Little Guitars.

1984- I've always loved 1984 and Jump.

5150- WCTBL is the worst song from either the Dave or Sam eras. LWI is also a bottom 10 song from the Sam and Dave eras. Ed's guitar tone is my least favorite of any VH album, although his live tone on that tour was awesome. I like Inside.

OU812- Sucker In A 3 Piece is my favorite track on the album, and one of my favs from the Sam era. This is my favorite Sam era album.

FUCK- The drums are vastly overrated by many, mainly because the toms are so inconsistent tonally. They range from really good(Pleasure Dome, MOAM, Dream Is Over) to bland(Spanked, In N Out) to a muddy distorted mess(Poundcake, Judgment Day). Pleasure Dome is my 2nd favorite song on it after Dream Is Over.

Balance- I really like Doin Time. I can't stand Feeling as a song, but the pre solo breakdown and solo are among Ed and Al's finest 2 minutes of blazing music.

VHIII- I like this album, always have. I enjoyed the show I saw at the Gorge on this tour more than any Sam era shows I saw in person.

ADKOT- My 6th favorite VH album, ahead of DD, all the Sam albums, and VHIII. Beats Workin is my 2nd favorite tune on the album.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning/5150
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained/Best of Both Worlds
    Last Online

12.09.17 @ 12:23 AM
    Liked 7,837 Times in 4,573 Posts

Premium Member

[I]1. Spanked is a killer (misunderstood) song.
    Feels So Good.

If this was any other band but VH...it wouldn't get near as much criticism. Same goes for CSLY.

But Taylor Swift is all rage? Absolute shite.

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

EVERYBODY WANTS SOME!!
    Last Online

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dave's Dreidel View Post
    Their catalog is too small.

Six albums in seven years.

Then six albums in thirty three. There is slowing down, and then there is wasting your talents.
    And their catalog is bigger than Zeppelin's, and only 2-3 studio albums less than Aerosmith's. I think their catalog is even bigger than Metallica's. These are all bands that many regard much much higher than VH.

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

EVERYBODY WANTS SOME!!
    Last Online

Premium Member

Spanked has some really interesting parts musically, but I can't stand the vocals, especially the irritating "all you bad, bad boys" backing vocals.

I do agree, and always will, that Van Halen is the greatest band of all time.

Last Online

12.11.17 @ 11:03 AM
    Liked 1,596 Times in 982 Posts

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by I Coulda Hada VH View Post
    That might be seen as controversial or unusual on this great website?

I will start it off with some of my views from each of the 12 albums:

VH: On Fire is among my 3 favorite tracks on the debut, along with I'm The One and Feel Your Love Tonight.
    VH II: Outta Love Again and Beautiful Girls don't get enough love around here. Very underrated songs.
    WACF: I prefer Fools and Loss Of Control to And The Cradle Will Rock.
    FW: Unchained is probably only my 4th favorite track on FW, behind Hear About It Later, Mean Street and Sinner's Swing!
    DD: I've always liked Dancing In The Streets and prefer it to (Oh) Pretty Woman and Where Have All The Good Times Gone!
    1984: I've always liked Jump and I'll Wait and I think the 1984 album is a little underrated around here.
    5150: I can't stand Why Can't This Be Love, but I totally dig Love Walks In and Inside.
    OU812: Source Of Infection is among my 3 favorites on this album, along with AFU (Naturally Wired) and Black and Blue.
    FUCK: Runaround is my all-time favorite Sam era tune. Not a big fan of Pleasure Dome or Right Now.
    Balance: The lyrics to Amsterdam have never bothered me. I don't care for Don't Tell Me (What Love Can Do) or Feelin'.
    VH III: I actually like one song, Fire In The Hole.
    ADKOT: Outta Space, Big River and Beats Workin' are among my five favorite tunes on this album.

Let the slagging begin.
    Omg you are better than this. List whore. You used to have more in the bag. Come on!
    Tighten up, son. :P And btw those sentiments are in no way controversial you proverbial fence sitting pussycat. 😎

That said heck I dunno if I hv any controversial ops re: Eddie Van Catalogue.

Haha.

Fuck lists tho seriously. U want controversial? Get outta the way. 😝🙏😇😈

VH1 is not the alpha and omega of VH. That title belongs to FW. You vh1 purists...are wrong. Best debut album ever? Of course. Superior musicianship than Warning? Uh, clearly no.

VH2 is, compared to the rest of Dave Halen...kinda weak. Love it, but...doesnít rank with the best of VH...except for LUTS, DOA, and BU.

Putting anything other than FW above WACF is just FOOLish. Except for LOC. LOC sucks. Letís face it. 😉 But WACF is da beeís knees udderwise. Next time I see a certain Canuck dismiss IASR as filler, imma hv another former Canuck troll of our acquaintance track him down and fart rainbow marbles in his poutine. 😎

Unchained is not FWís tentpole. That title rightfully belongs to HAIL or MS.

DDís 4 originals eclipse every piece of work VH has ever put to tape except for WACF and FW. Buhleeve it. On that note, Secrets might be Ed and Daveís finest moment of true symbiosis between axe ní mic.

Top Jimmy is so criminally underrated itís a travesty. The axe work is beyond belief.

5150 just didnít age well. I hate saying it. But it is what it is.

OU812 might hv been VHís second or third finest hour if theyíd turned up the deep end and chucked the ballads entirely and just made the whole LP barn burner from start to finish.

FUCK sucks. It just does. Even PC and Runaround donít hold up today. Only JD does. Side 2 was a wash from the get go.

Balance. Sigh. Used to be my Sam Halen fave. Now I know better. 4 good songs including the b side. The rest is a wash.

Irony or not, 2 of the 3 BOV1 tracks are among VHís best works ever. Serio. HB and MwM are utterly epic. CGTSNM is horseshit tho.

VH3. Lol, pretend it never happened.

2 of the 3 BOBW tracks arenít as bad as everyone thinks. One is.

ADKOT... just doesnít hold up to OG Dave Halen. I wish it did. But it doesnít. That said, SF and YAYB are excellent pinnacles of VH4.

Boom. 😎😎😎😎😎😎

Coulda, cut the shit already.

Favorite VH Album

VH, 1984, 5150, F.U.C.K.
    Favorite VH Song

A few of Daves, a few of Sams!
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 11:23 AM
    Liked 6,969 Times in 5,005 Posts

Premium Member

"There's too many people on this basketball that's floating around the sun, who are too afraid to allow themselves to FEEL" - Edward Van Halen
    "Van Halen was never about the singer..." - a very wise fan.
    "Embrace the past. Live in the moment but keep your eyes on the future, and keep on moving forward..." - Richie Sambora

Last Online

12.11.17 @ 11:03 AM
    Liked 1,596 Times in 982 Posts

Donor

Mr. Tambourine have another cocktail itíll warm your heart. 😎

Favorite VH Album

All of them
    Favorite VH Song

Humans Being
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 10:07 AM
    Liked 353 Times in 182 Posts

I don't have controversial views on every VH album, but here's a few of mine that usually manage to piss someone off.

VH1: 2nd best debut album in the entire history of music, behind Boston's debut.
    FW: A top 5 all time album.
    DD: Take out the covers & it's a wonderful EP.
    5150: The song "5150" is the only song I can still listen to on this album because the album as a whole sounds like a tin can.
    OU812: See above. Replace "5150" with Source of Infection.
    FUCK & Balance: My two favorite VH albums, from a sound standpoint, especially the latter. The Seventh Seal is my go to tune for testing new speakers.
    VHIII: If this was released as "An Edward Van Halen Solo Album", it would have been heralded instead of shit on.
    ADKOT: A fine return to hard rock form, but as with nearly every album these days, brickwalled to all fuck.

Other views on non-studio album VH.
    Live RHRN: Crap. Complete crap. CD production sucked and video production was laughable.
    BOV1: Me Wise Magic & Humans Being are two of their best songs, regardless of era.
    BOBW: 2 of the 3 new ones were cool.

And the one that twists everyone's tit....
    I would have given anything for them not to split in '96. Humans Being/Respect The Wind are perfect in my eyes. VH were pretty much the only hard rock band to thrive into the mid 90s. Had they done another album with Hagar in the vein of Humans Being in either '97 or '98, they'd have lay claim to biggest rock band going into the millennium. Most likely would've gotten their 5th #1 album in a row. Might have even gone back out with Metallica on their Summer Sanitarium tour & done stadiums in the states for the first time since 1988. But, of course, I'm just a wishful thinker.

Carry on, gents.

Favorite VH Album

Alex, Dave, Ed and Mike
    Favorite VH Song

The songs with Ed on them
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 11:19 AM
    Liked 18,079 Times in 8,933 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by JUNGLE DRUMMER View Post
    And their catalog is bigger than Zeppelin's, and only 2-3 studio albums less than Aerosmith's. I think their catalog is even bigger than Metallica's. These are all bands that many regard much much higher than VH.
    Zeppelin's was over thirteen years, not forty.
    Taylor Swift is nice to look at. Adele can sing.

Emperor Brett - "I can't believe you guys are analyzing song-by-song Van Halen III? What next, analyzing the script of Stroker Ace looking for some shred of Citizen Kane?"

David Lee Roth did the impossible. He made Van Halen better. Deal with it!

Preferred pronouns: he/him/his

Hurricane Halen - Let's all gingery touch our sword tips!!!

DONATE TO THE LINKS YA CHEAP BASTARDS!!!!

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

EVERYBODY WANTS SOME!!
    Last Online

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dave's Dreidel View Post
    Zeppelin's was over thirteen years, not forty.
    And VH put out 9 albums in 13 yrs. There's no way of knowing how many more albums Zep would've done, but Page certainly hasn't been the busiest at putting out new music in the last 37 yrs.