Favorite VH Album

The First One
    Favorite VH Song

I'm The One
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 10:56 AM
    Liked 16,486 Times in 9,343 Posts

Default Make a case ...

For your all-time favorite Van Halen song. What are the specific reasons that puts it at the very top of the heap for you? The devil is in the details, so be more creative than simply stating things like "it rocks", "it's epic", "it has swagger" and "it's well-crafted."

Court is now in session ...
    "It's so lonely at the top because it's so crowded at the bottom" - Diamond David Lee Roth

"If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving is not for you"

"Be careful what you wish for because you just might lose what you already have"

"Women and Children First ... The REAL Van Halen III"

Favorite VH Album

VH, 1984, 5150, F.U.C.K.
    Favorite VH Song

A few of Daves, a few of Sams!
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 11:13 AM
    Liked 6,969 Times in 5,005 Posts

Premium Member

Panama.

It rocks, and is well crafted.
    "There's too many people on this basketball that's floating around the sun, who are too afraid to allow themselves to FEEL" - Edward Van Halen
    "Van Halen was never about the singer..." - a very wise fan.
    "Embrace the past. Live in the moment but keep your eyes on the future, and keep on moving forward..." - Richie Sambora

3. The Following 3 Members Like This Post:

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen II
    Favorite VH Song

Dance the Night Away
    Last Online

12.10.17 @ 07:58 PM
    Liked 2,801 Times in 1,450 Posts

Dance the Night Away

One of my all time favorite guitar riffs. It has a cool swing to it and is a great example of Eddie's great rhythm technique. In order to play it you have to put in his various mutes and open string accents. It's mostly about the right hand. I also adore the solo. Only Eddie would think to do something like that.

Probably my favorite song by Alex. He is perfect on this song imo. I'm not a skilled drummer, but he seems to do very original things in this song to my ear. Like how he ends up on the snare at the beginning of the song. Seems like most drummers typically start with the snare and end up on the toms for a drum fill.

Best example I can think of for how the vocal quality of Micheal Anthony elevates VH. When that chorus hits...it REALLY hits. It's like a burst of adrenaline for me every time. Beautiful is a word that is an apt description.

One of the great vocal performances by Dave. That isolated vocal track is a revelation. I invite anyone to try and sing DTNA at a karaoke bar. You are probably going to be surprised at how hard it is to do what Dave does unless you are a really good singer.

5. The Following 4 Members Like This Post:

Favorite VH Album

WOMEN AND CHILDREN FIRST/ADKOT
    Favorite VH Song

EVERYBODY WANTS SOME!!
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 10:19 AM
    Liked 8,707 Times in 4,703 Posts

Premium Member

Everybody Wants Some!! has been my favorite tune for over 30 yrs. The jungle drum intro, with Al's tribal drums just sounding THUNDEROUS has always been my favorite drum intro, even more so than HFT.

Always loved all the eerie sounds of Ed's guitar during the intro. He made it sound like it was screaming, then what sounded like metal being twisted and torn apart, then it sounded like his guitar was talking.

Then you have Dave chiming in with the chimpanzee squeals and Tarzan scream to complete the wild vibe.

Then when the song kicks in, always sounded massive to me, like a rollicking freight train.

Loved that it dropped back into the tribal drums during the verses, with some of Dave's best vocals punctuated by his signature screeches at the end of each line.

Not one of Ed's most technical solos, but still one of my all time favs. It sounds appropriately reckless and untamed, fitting perfectly with the vibe of the music layed down by the intro.

Along with ATBL, arguably the most famous and classic VH breakdown of all, and the only other singer I can think of that could pull it off would probably be Bon Scott.

Topped off with the hard driving outro with one of Dave's greatest screams ever and fades out with Dave's classic "look I'll pay ya for it, WTF" line.

Oh, almost forgot, it doesn't have the typical high MA harmonies, but the chorus always sounded epic, even anthemic, to me.

It also helps that WACF has my favorite drum and guitar tones of all time.

In summation-

7. The Following 3 Members Like This Post:

Last Online

12.11.17 @ 10:31 AM
    Liked 2,272 Times in 1,165 Posts

Loss of Control

Unreal.

How do you play at such a high tempo, and retain musical touch and detailing awareness of ALL the different parts at the same time. Next to no one can do this like VH did.

And... it's was so unique to see a band/vocalist both install such a humorous slant to the lyrics and the musical vibe within a song that makes speed metal artists stop and take notice. Only VH could engineer these bizarre musical recipes of contrasting ingredients that no one else has ever handled in this seemingly effortless way.

Now, we know in hindsight, that it actually wasn't effortless for them, and that the band had a serious undercurrent happening the entire time. They were very aware that they wanted things to look easy and chilled on the surface, but they were designing things in their musical/branding engine room with a lot of stress and attention to detail.

They were true showmen, and I'm hopefully waiting for another band to come along and impress me in the same way. It's been 40 years.

9. The Following 3 Members Like This Post:

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

EVERYBODY WANTS SOME!!
    Last Online

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by noise next door View Post
    Loss of Control

Unreal.

How do you play at such a high tempo, and retain musical touch and detailing awareness of ALL the different parts at the same time. Next to no one can do this like VH did.

And... it's was so unique to see a band/vocalist both install such a humorous slant to the lyrics and the musical vibe within a song that makes speed metal artists stop and take notice. Only VH could engineer these bizarre musical recipes of contrasting ingredients that no one else has ever handled in this seemingly effortless way.

Now, we know in hindsight, that it actually wasn't effortless for them, and that the band had a serious undercurrent happening the entire time. They were very aware that they wanted things to look easy and chilled on the surface, but they were designing things in their musical/branding engine room with a lot of stress and attention to detail.

They were true showmen, and I'm hopefully waiting for another band to come along and impress me in the same way. It's been 40 years.
    My #3 all time favorite tune, following EWS and Romeo Delight, and probably the single greatest example of the unparalleled virtuosic synchronicity between Ed and Al. If they had chosen to, I believe VH could've done anything that the later speed metal and thrash metal bands did in the 80s, and done it better and with like you said MORE musicality.

I don't even know how Dave managed to put lyrics to it but they are perfectly in tune with the aggressiveness of the music and I have always LOVED Mike's comically "too high" purposefully cartoonish backing vocals.

Still my single all time favorite rock drum track and Al's cowbell/tom fill after the solo is my all time favorite fill.

Yes, LOC is sheer brilliance on all levels from every member of the band. Classic Van Halen, indeed.

Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by JUNGLE DRUMMER View Post
    ....Al's cowbell/tom fill after the solo is my all time favorite fill...
    He must have had major caffeine running through his system that day.

12. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

EVERYBODY WANTS SOME!!
    Last Online

Premium Member

He must have had major caffeine running through his system that day.
    He had "something" a little extra running through his veins that day.

And I love how Ed's harmonics are perfectly in time with every note Al hits on that awesome fill after the solo. This is just one example of why, for ME, they're the two greatest rock musicians ever at their respective instruments.

14. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Favorite VH Album

VH, 1984, 5150, F.U.C.K.
    Favorite VH Song

A few of Daves, a few of Sams!
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 11:13 AM
    Liked 6,969 Times in 5,005 Posts

Premium Member

For JD...
    This is the last paragraph on page 48 of the softcover book 'Everything You Ever Wanted To Know About Van Halen'.

"Everybody Wants Some" is one of Van Halen's best songs. It starts out with Alex playing a mysterious jungle beat. David comes in with some Tarzan calls and jungle screams. Eddie plays some guitar that sounds as if someone is crushing bones! The song has all the classic Van Halen ingredients: a great sing-along chorus, weird 'gonzo' guitar solos, a fiery crescendo, and for good measure, a David Lee Roth ad-libbed rap that has to be heard to be believed!

20171124_131124.jpg

**edit** Not sure why every pic I post lately is sideways?
    Last edited by RRvh1; 11.24.17 at 10:27 AM.
    "There's too many people on this basketball that's floating around the sun, who are too afraid to allow themselves to FEEL" - Edward Van Halen
    "Van Halen was never about the singer..." - a very wise fan.
    "Embrace the past. Live in the moment but keep your eyes on the future, and keep on moving forward..." - Richie Sambora

16. The Following 2 Members Like This Post:

Last Online

EVH & AVH are total (musical) freaks of nature.

They are not normal.

18. The Following 2 Members Like This Post:

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

EVERYBODY WANTS SOME!!
    Last Online

Premium Member

It is mind boggling to think this band would "diversify" into playing uninteresting generic pop schlock with no interesting musical parts like WCTBL and dime a million ballads like LWI only a few short years later to fit in with what all their contemporaries were doing.

Last Online

Cocaine and (partial) Mental Burnout.

21. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

EVERYBODY WANTS SOME!!
    Last Online

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by RRvh1 View Post
    For JD...
    This is the last paragraph on page 48 of the softcover book 'Everything You Ever Wanted To Know About Van Halen'.

"Everybody Wants Some" is one of Van Halen's best songs. It starts out with Alex playing a mysterious jungle beat. David comes in with some Tarzan calls and jungle screams. Eddie plays some guitar that sounds as if someone is crushing bones! The song has all the classic Van Halen ingredients: a great sing-along chorus, weird 'gonzo' guitar solos, a fiery crescendo, and for good measure, a David Lee Roth ad-libbed rap that has to be heard to be believed!

20171124_131124.jpg

**edit** Not sure why every pic I post lately is sideways?
    LOL, I think I agree with that author's description. I haven't read that book.

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

EVERYBODY WANTS SOME!!
    Last Online

Premium Member

Cocaine and (partial) Mental Burnout.
    Yeah, I mean obviously those songs were hugely successful, but I just liked the WACF FW period where the band had complete freedom and was diversifying their writing while seeming to have little or no regard for the latest pop trends or purposely trying to make pop hits.

Unfortunately, it all started to go that direction with PW and DITS, and culminated with the poppy sound of 5150. I definitely liked the darker tone of OU812 better, that's for sure.

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

EVERYBODY WANTS SOME!!
    Last Online

Premium Member

EVH & AVH are total (musical) freaks of nature.

They are not normal.
    So true. And I always wished Al got more credit for his inventive custom monster kits back then. Just like Ed's guitars didn't look like anybody else's, Al's kits each tour were always completely unique to him, and even the way he positioned his toms or the things he did to his bass drums were just always "weird" compared to all the other drummers of the era.

25. The Following Member Likes This Post: