Save

Thread: D-Tuna issue

Favorite VH Album

VH1
    Last Online

11.15.17 @ 05:12 AM
    Liked 66 Times in 35 Posts

Default D-Tuna issue

First let me say I have 6 guitars with the EVH D-Tuna installed and I am pretty sure I know how to use them and set them up.
    I am having an issue with my USA EVH Wolfgang that has me baffled.

Here is the deal -
    I keep it tuned 1/2 step down.
    Release the locking nut, dis-engage the d-tuna, tune to C#
    Engage the d-tuna and use the fine adjust allen on the d-tuna to tune to D# - to do this I have to fully loosen the fine adjust allen. Essentially it could be all the way out it is so far loosed.
    At this point every thing is fine, strange, but fine. D-tuna disengage, C# and engaged D#.
    Then I tighten the locking nut. This is where I do not understand what is happening.
    Dis-engaged d-tuna = perfect C#. Engaged d-tuna D# goes sharp.

I have adjusted the string retainer bar on the head stock a couple of times and think I have it right. All 5 of the other strings stay in tune after tightening the locking nut. Also changed the string.

So - thoughts on what could be wrong? It is very strange to me that the fine adjust allen basically is not doing anything. Maybe a bad d-tuna?

Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by FAN4EVER; 11.13.17 at 12:50 PM.
    Aint life grand!

Last Online

11.19.17 @ 09:42 AM
    Liked 378 Times in 224 Posts

First thing your doing wrong is not locking the nut. Pull out D-tuner. Tune to C. Lock nut. Assuming the fine tuner is set up correctly push in d-tuner and tune to D. Should work right now.
    VH III is Ed's solo album. So everybody who keeps saying they wish he'd do one needs to stfu and listen to III. Then stfu again.

Favorite VH Album

VH1
    Last Online

11.15.17 @ 05:12 AM
    Liked 66 Times in 35 Posts

I likely did not describe my process very clearly. And you are right AFU I need to tune to C#, lock the nut and then fine tune to D#. I continued to mess around with the d-tuna last night and even went so far as to change it out with another one from one of the other guitars. The result was the same. I do think I figured out what it was. At least it was something. I checked my intonation and found that it was not correct. While looking at it I noticed that the saddle was pretty far back on the base plate. I reset the intonation moving the saddle forward. It could have been that or the fact that I took the entire assembly apart, removing all saddles and even taking the block off. When I put it all back together I took great care to make sure that each saddle was aligned perfectly so that the string bolt was centered thru the base plate slots and that each saddle moved up and down effortlessly. I also swabbed a bit of 3 and 1 on the side of each saddle as well as the pivot joint. The last thing I did was loosen the 2 claw springs. I only run 2 because I am tunes 1/2 step down with 9's. Everything seems to be working now.
    Aint life grand!