Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 31 to 45 of 66
  1. #31
    Atomic Punk JUNGLE DRUMMER's Avatar
    Join Date
    04.20.07
    Age
    44
    Posts
    9,051
    Favorite VH Album

    WOMEN AND CHILDREN FIRST/ADKOT
    Favorite VH Song

    EVERYBODY WANTS SOME!!
    Last Online

    12.10.17 @ 06:09 PM
    Likes
    32,522
    Liked 8,679 Times in 4,692 Posts


    Premium Member

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Destructo3 View Post
    Forgive my ignorance Chris, but what do PCTS, SAITP and OFOTD stand for?
    Song titles on the album. Although I would argue Push Comes To Shove would've made a good single. It would be a great track for them to play live now, too. Well, for those of us who have enjoyed seeing the band play deep cuts the last three tours anyway.

  2. #32
    Atomic Punk CaboChris's Avatar
    Join Date
    09.23.11
    Age
    45
    Location
    Reno, NV
    Posts
    15,612
    Favorite VH Album

    Fair Warning/5150
    Favorite VH Song

    Unchained/Best of Both Worlds
    Last Online

    12.09.17 @ 12:23 AM
    Likes
    4,313
    Liked 7,837 Times in 4,573 Posts


    Premium Member

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Destructo3 View Post
    Forgive my ignorance Chris, but what do PCTS, SAITP and OFOTD stand for?
    Push Comes To Shove
    Sunday Afternoon In The Park
    One Foot Out The Door

  3. #33
    Eruption
    Join Date
    05.18.15
    Location
    Redding
    Posts
    923
    Favorite VH Album

    Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

    Humans Being
    Last Online

    12.10.17 @ 12:17 PM
    Likes
    0
    Liked 563 Times in 316 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JUNGLE DRUMMER View Post
    Song titles on the album. Although I would argue Push Comes To Shove would've made a good single. It would be a great track for them to play live now, too. Well, for those of us who have enjoyed seeing the band play deep cuts the last three tours anyway.
    Amen! Thanks

  4. The Following Member Likes This Post:


  5. #34
    Eruption FW1981's Avatar
    Join Date
    04.09.07
    Age
    56
    Location
    the coast
    Posts
    814
    Favorite VH Album

    Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

    Unchained
    Last Online

    12.10.17 @ 01:38 PM
    Likes
    1,060
    Liked 544 Times in 277 Posts

    Default

    Where I lived, FW was barely played on the radio. I understand that Mean St and HAIL are maybe too dark, but you would have thought that Unchained and So This Is Love would have been played heavily on the radio. WACF received heavy airplay, and I lived in 2 different markets in 80. Then FW comes out, and it was basically ignored. Then Pretty Woman comes out, and radio is all over it. DD was released and radio was all over it. I remember a interview with DLR and he was critical about WB not supporting FW (and we all know back in those days that record companies paid off the radio stations). I also remember a WB executive blowing off DLR's comments, saying something along the lines of that is just Dave being Dave. I will say this, as a VH nut, that the first 3 albums were easy for me to absorb. But FW took me several listens to really get it and appreciate it. It was darker and very heavy. We have discussed this before, but to me, WACF and FW were the sweet spot of the 6 pack. Those 2 albums were heavy metal VH.

  6. The Following Member Likes This Post:


  7. #35
    Atomic Punk RRvh1's Avatar
    Join Date
    02.13.11
    Location
    Ontari-ari-ari-o!
    Posts
    16,398
    Favorite VH Album

    VH, 1984, 5150, F.U.C.K.
    Favorite VH Song

    A few of Daves, a few of Sams!
    Last Online

    12.10.17 @ 05:57 PM
    Likes
    6,127
    Liked 6,968 Times in 5,004 Posts


    Premium Member

    Default

    I remember liking FW from the first spin on vinyl. Yeah, it was heavy and dark, but I was mesmerized...
    "There's too many people on this basketball that's floating around the sun, who are too afraid to allow themselves to FEEL" - Edward Van Halen
    "Van Halen was never about the singer..." - a very wise fan.
    "Embrace the past. Live in the moment but keep your eyes on the future, and keep on moving forward..." - Richie Sambora

  8. The Following 2 Members Like This Post:


  9. #36
    Atomic Punk I Coulda Hada VH's Avatar
    Join Date
    12.29.00
    Location
    Land O' Lakers
    Posts
    30,360
    Favorite VH Album

    The First One
    Favorite VH Song

    I'm The One
    Last Online

    12.10.17 @ 06:17 PM
    Likes
    10,242
    Liked 16,470 Times in 9,331 Posts

    Default

    The relatively soft sales of Fair Warning resulted in the overly radio friendly and admittedly rushed Diver Down. All of the cover tunes pissed off Eddie which inspired him to build the 5150 studio in his backyard, where they recorded 1984, their most popular album. Dave didn't like Eddie having this "home court advantage" which was likely at least part of the reason he foolishly decided to leave the band in 1985.
    "It's so lonely at the top because it's so crowded at the bottom" - Diamond David Lee Roth

    "If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving is not for you"

    "Be careful what you wish for because you just might lose what you already have"

    "Women and Children First ... The REAL Van Halen III"

  10. #37
    Atomic Punk Van Squalen's Avatar
    Join Date
    12.21.03
    Posts
    22,157
    Last Online

    12.10.17 @ 05:31 PM
    Likes
    0
    Liked 1,595 Times in 981 Posts


    Donor

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by japeape View Post
    And i still think WACF was a darker/heavier album than FW.
    No way. WACF's inclusions of CTBM and IASR alone dress it as a slightly less dark horse. Slightly, though. There's no doubt that RD, Fools, Whiskey, and EWS are toned and produced in the same recording vein as FW's lot. As we know, WACF and FW are brothers of the same kin. They could've dropped both as an 18 track double album (I'm sure we all remember and most gladly owned and played the shit outta the double cassette tape ) and nobody would've noticed a difference.

  11. The Following Member Likes This Post:


  12. #38
    Atomic Punk I Coulda Hada VH's Avatar
    Join Date
    12.29.00
    Location
    Land O' Lakers
    Posts
    30,360
    Favorite VH Album

    The First One
    Favorite VH Song

    I'm The One
    Last Online

    12.10.17 @ 06:17 PM
    Likes
    10,242
    Liked 16,470 Times in 9,331 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Van Squalen View Post
    No way. WACF's inclusions of CTBM and IASR alone dress it as a slightly less dark horse. Slightly, though. There's no doubt that RD, Fools, Whiskey, and EWS are toned and produced in the same recording vein as FW's lot. As we know, WACF and FW are brothers of the same kin. They could've dropped both as an 18 track double album (I'm sure we all remember and most gladly owned and played the shit outta the double cassette tape ) and nobody would've noticed a difference.
    Two great albums right in the middle of the 6 pack. The songs on FW are darker and the mix on WACF is rawer.
    "It's so lonely at the top because it's so crowded at the bottom" - Diamond David Lee Roth

    "If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving is not for you"

    "Be careful what you wish for because you just might lose what you already have"

    "Women and Children First ... The REAL Van Halen III"

  13. #39
    Romeo Delight
    Join Date
    12.17.11
    Age
    48
    Location
    San Antonio, TX
    Posts
    83
    Favorite VH Album

    Fair Warning-1984-F.U.C.K
    Last Online

    12.10.17 @ 08:16 AM
    Likes
    17
    Liked 38 Times in 23 Posts

    Default

    Paying to have an artist's album/song played on radio or doing something to influence radio play was (not sure if it still is) common place. MTV was the same in the late 80s and 90s. Money, power, and the ability to influence helped a lot of artists (new and established).

    There are lots of stories about how Motown did that stuff for the majority of their artists. Polygram, Captial, RCA, WB, they all did it. If they wanted to back an artist they did "behind the door" deals with radio stations, distributors, retailers, etc..Not just money but drugs, woman, all types of "favors."

  14. #40
    5150 GOLATTARI's Avatar
    Join Date
    09.25.10
    Age
    26
    Location
    Brazil
    Posts
    574
    Favorite VH Song

    Unchained!
    Last Online

    12.10.17 @ 11:29 AM
    Likes
    4
    Liked 35 Times in 16 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Harpospoke View Post
    I don't doubt any of it. Sounds par for the course with the music business. It's a dirty business from top to bottom. Was just reading about how the music industry basically blackballed Irene Cara in the 80s because of a dispute over money. Record companies don't like giving out more than a tiny sliver of the money generated from an artist's talent.

    And who knows what any "certification" really means? We do know that RIAA only does it when the artist pays them to do it. So they aren't really interested in providing accurate numbers....they are interested in being paid. Who knows how accurate any of that stuff is. If an artist doesn't pay...they have a lower number of sales. And this makes me wonder if paying might give an artist an artificial boost to their numbers as well.

    Also believing Monk's story about being asked by Billboard where they wanted the album to land on the charts in its first week. That sounds par for the course too. So that calls into question any "#1 album" claims. Who knows if that is real? That could all vary act to act depending on how important they believed the pub from "#1 album" was.

    And of course payola exists. That's common knowledge. But here I wonder if the stations really played the songs. I wouldn't be shocked if they took the money and did nothing. I say this because I was in New York City when the album came out and I had to find out it was released from a fellow Coast Guardsman. I seriously never heard a track from the album played on the radio in NYC once. Not once.

    Maybe I was exceedingly unlucky and just kept missing it or something...but that doesn't seem likely. Maybe NYC was more expensive and they didn't bother with them? I can't speak for other parts of the country. I do know the Madison Square Garden show was the most epic concert I ever saw and the crowd was insanely into it. So there definitely was a market for the band in NYC.
    http://www.nytimes.com/1981/07/20/ar...he-garden.html

    HARD ROCK: VAN HALEN AT THE GARDEN

    By Stephen Holden

    Published: July 20, 1981

    DESPITE all the talk about a commercial resurgence of prerock styles of pop, the music that is keeping the record business afloat is the heavy-metal brand of hard rock established by Led Zeppelin in the late 1960's. And the triumphant appearance of Van Halen, one of the heaviest of heavy-metal rock groups, at Madison Square Garden on Friday was impressive evidence of the style's commercial strength.

    This sold-out concert wasn't merely a musical event but a three-ring circus with the southern California quartet's flamboyant lead singer, David Lee Roth, serving as ringmaster and its lead guitarist, Eddie Van Halen, as right-hand man.

    Clad in a gaudy gladiator's costume and tossing his shoulder-length blond hair, Mr. Roth put on a Dionysian performance whose bumps and grinds, high balletic kicks and strip-teasing maneuvers amounted to a one-man burlesque show. And when not singing or prancing, he regaled the crowd in the theatrically condescending tone of a carnival barker act as master of ceremonies for a children's television show. Mr. Van Halen, for his part, wielded his guitar like a lethal weapon, playing it with his teeth, even jumping up and down on it in a mock frenzy.

    The music was about as extreme as the genre gets, with thunderous power chords creating a deafening wall of sound that rendered both the group's blues-based tunes and lyrics almost completely unintelligible. In a way it was a shame, because its latest album, ''Fair Warning,'' is one of the better heavy-metal records of recent years and reveals Mr. Van Halen as a guitarist with more range than most of his peers. But the audience of teen-agers, who remained on their feet from beginning to end, didn't seem to care. They got the spectacle they wanted. Stephen
    GOL Guitar!
    [SIGPIC]http://www.vhlinks.com/vbforums/signaturepics/sigpic23027_7.gif[/SIGPIC]

  15. The Following 3 Members Like This Post:


  16. #41
    Atomic Punk japeape's Avatar
    Join Date
    02.05.15
    Posts
    7,846
    Last Online

    12.08.17 @ 09:45 AM
    Likes
    5,594
    Liked 7,610 Times in 3,989 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by GOLATTARI View Post
    http://www.nytimes.com/1981/07/20/ar...he-garden.html

    HARD ROCK: VAN HALEN AT THE GARDEN

    By Stephen Holden

    Published: July 20, 1981

    DESPITE all the talk about a commercial resurgence of prerock styles of pop, the music that is keeping the record business afloat is the heavy-metal brand of hard rock established by Led Zeppelin in the late 1960's. And the triumphant appearance of Van Halen, one of the heaviest of heavy-metal rock groups, at Madison Square Garden on Friday was impressive evidence of the style's commercial strength.

    This sold-out concert wasn't merely a musical event but a three-ring circus with the southern California quartet's flamboyant lead singer, David Lee Roth, serving as ringmaster and its lead guitarist, Eddie Van Halen, as right-hand man.

    Clad in a gaudy gladiator's costume and tossing his shoulder-length blond hair, Mr. Roth put on a Dionysian performance whose bumps and grinds, high balletic kicks and strip-teasing maneuvers amounted to a one-man burlesque show. And when not singing or prancing, he regaled the crowd in the theatrically condescending tone of a carnival barker act as master of ceremonies for a children's television show. Mr. Van Halen, for his part, wielded his guitar like a lethal weapon, playing it with his teeth, even jumping up and down on it in a mock frenzy.

    The music was about as extreme as the genre gets, with thunderous power chords creating a deafening wall of sound that rendered both the group's blues-based tunes and lyrics almost completely unintelligible. In a way it was a shame, because its latest album, ''Fair Warning,'' is one of the better heavy-metal records of recent years and reveals Mr. Van Halen as a guitarist with more range than most of his peers. But the audience of teen-agers, who remained on their feet from beginning to end, didn't seem to care. They got the spectacle they wanted. Stephen
    Played with his teeth?
    Jumped up & down on his guitar?

    Is this guy confusing Michael Anthony's Bass solo with Edward?

  17. The Following 3 Members Like This Post:


  18. #42
    Hang 'Em High
    Join Date
    01.07.07
    Location
    The Texxas Jam - 1978
    Posts
    5,939
    Favorite VH Album

    Depends on the Day of the Week
    Favorite VH Song

    HAIL, D.O.A., TYWH
    Last Online

    12.10.17 @ 04:45 PM
    Likes
    1,115
    Liked 1,323 Times in 795 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dave's Dreidel View Post
    Could not care less.

    That's the business side from their end, that I have no part of and really no interest in.

    They released a great album and went on a legendary tour to support it, that's all a fan can ask for.
    If all they sold was 10 copies of FW, I couldn't care less. I loved the LP, and I was satisfied, and that's all really mattered to me. And them touring.
    Last edited by The Rover; 11.08.17 at 04:20 PM.

    ~~8 U.S.C. 1182(f)~~

  19. #43
    Atomic Punk I Coulda Hada VH's Avatar
    Join Date
    12.29.00
    Location
    Land O' Lakers
    Posts
    30,360
    Favorite VH Album

    The First One
    Favorite VH Song

    I'm The One
    Last Online

    12.10.17 @ 06:17 PM
    Likes
    10,242
    Liked 16,470 Times in 9,331 Posts

    Default

    Just because I feel like listening to it ...

    "It's so lonely at the top because it's so crowded at the bottom" - Diamond David Lee Roth

    "If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving is not for you"

    "Be careful what you wish for because you just might lose what you already have"

    "Women and Children First ... The REAL Van Halen III"

  20. The Following 2 Members Like This Post:


  21. #44
    Atomic Punk Van Squalen's Avatar
    Join Date
    12.21.03
    Posts
    22,157
    Last Online

    12.10.17 @ 05:31 PM
    Likes
    0
    Liked 1,595 Times in 981 Posts


    Donor

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by I Coulda Hada VH View Post
    Just because I feel like listening to it ...

    Good gawd, why? Everybody knows that's the weakest track on FW.

  22. #45
    Atomic Punk I Coulda Hada VH's Avatar
    Join Date
    12.29.00
    Location
    Land O' Lakers
    Posts
    30,360
    Favorite VH Album

    The First One
    Favorite VH Song

    I'm The One
    Last Online

    12.10.17 @ 06:17 PM
    Likes
    10,242
    Liked 16,470 Times in 9,331 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Van Squalen View Post
    Good gawd, why? Everybody knows that's the weakest track on FW.
    Ya' think? The fade out contains one of EVH's all-time greatest solos. I dig it.
    Last edited by I Coulda Hada VH; 11.08.17 at 05:29 PM.
    "It's so lonely at the top because it's so crowded at the bottom" - Diamond David Lee Roth

    "If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving is not for you"

    "Be careful what you wish for because you just might lose what you already have"

    "Women and Children First ... The REAL Van Halen III"

  23. The Following 2 Members Like This Post:


 

 

Similar Threads

  1. Fair Warning
    By Bluesbro in forum VH Songs/Albums/Videos
    Replies: 45
    Last Post: 08.22.10, 01:47 PM
  2. FAIR WARNING
    By Rocket in forum VH Songs/Albums/Videos
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 04.28.02, 06:23 AM
  3. FAIR WARNING
    By Rocket in forum Main VH Discussion
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 04.25.02, 10:25 PM
  4. FAIR WARNING
    By Rikk in forum VH Songs/Albums/Videos
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 12.07.01, 12:41 PM
  5. Why Fair Warning is the best.....
    By hain23x in forum VH Songs/Albums/Videos
    Replies: 27
    Last Post: 08.30.00, 09:51 AM

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •