Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Dance the Night Away
    Last Online

08.14.18 @ 09:45 AM
    Liked 5,572 Times in 2,871 Posts

Premium Member

Well I can't believe it but Celtics are for real. My prediction was way off Celtics in 5. Its funny because a few years ago I would be pissing and moaning but I am actually ok. Last year even I was all up in arms over a loss but this year I just kind of think the run they have is done and its ok. Lebron can go wherever and its cool.

I do think the Cavs will win at home at least one of the games. I guess there is still a chance they can win 2 at home and it could a best out of 3.

2. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Massachusetts by way of the Great State of New Jersey
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Changes with the day
    Last Online

08.04.18 @ 02:14 PM
    Liked 896 Times in 572 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

Well, it certainly is now an interesting series. Hell - if I thought Philly could come back, I sure as shit ain't going to say Lebron can't.

Just thinking out loud, but I'd say game 4 is the key game. I expect the Cavs to take game 3, possibly even convincingly. They're too good not to hold serve with their backs to the wall. If the Celtics can steal game 4, or even make it a tight game, then they have a real shot to close this thing out. Otherwise, if the Cavs get it to 2-2, it's anyone's series. Slight advantage to the home court, but not much, not when you have Lebron.

Fact is, Cavs have BY FAR the best player, and probably the second best player in Love as well. That's a tough nut to consistently crack in a 5 man game. I think right now the difference has been 2 things - the Cavs are unaccustomed to a team that can switch everything and not give up a mismatch; and the Celtics backcourt is dominating the Cavs backcourt. It's got to wear you down when you are able to get free/beat your guy, and there's another one just as long waiting for you, while the original guy you beat is recovering to shut down the passing lane.

As for the guards - put Marcus Smart on the Cavs, and they are probably tied up 1-1. Put Kyrie back on the Cavs (and playing), and IMO they win this series easily. They just haven't had that spark on either side of the ball in the backcourt to get them going.

And how much freaking money is Marcus Smart earning right now?!? Holy shit. He is HUGE to what they're doing right now. That superman save down the sideline was just amazing, and talk about tone setting. He is just one tough mfer.
    Last edited by jrk5150; 05.16.18 at 07:34 AM.

4. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained, Hear About It Later
    Last Online

08.14.18 @ 09:59 AM
    Liked 2,471 Times in 1,697 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jrk5150 View Post
    Damn. Wasnít expecting that either. Celtics are playing well in their building.

For them to be doing this with their two best players out...damn.

Although in this series Iím not sure how much that hurts them since the D is their key. They are definitely better on D without Kyrie, no idea how Hayward is on that side of the ball, didnít get to see much of him. But this is a very good defensive team. They can switch on almost everything and not lose much.
    The wild part is that Tatum (19) and Brown (21) are so young. They are only going to get better going forward.

Even Rozier is looking like a possible good player. Smart has also dialed up his game.

Boston is going to be a interesting team to watch over the Summer..... So many DIFFERENT ways they could go.

As for Hayward on Defense, pretty average. He is paid to score. Boston would look much different on Def with Kyrie and GH out there. Sure would mess with their current rotations. Possibly Brad Stevens would even play Kyrie and Hayward apart at times.

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen II
    Favorite VH Song

Dance the Night Away
    Last Online

08.14.18 @ 11:20 AM
    Liked 3,906 Times in 2,053 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jrk5150 View Post
    Well, it certainly is now an interesting series. Hell - if I thought Philly could come back, I sure as shit ain't going to say Lebron can't.

Just thinking out loud, but I'd say game 4 is the key game. I expect the Cavs to take game 3, possibly even convincingly. They're too good not to hold serve with their backs to the wall. If the Celtics can steal game 4, or even make it a tight game, then they have a real shot to close this thing out. Otherwise, if the Cavs get it to 2-2, it's anyone's series. Slight advantage to the home court, but not much, not when you have Lebron.

Fact is, Cavs have BY FAR the best player, and probably the second best player in Love as well. That's a tough nut to consistently crack in a 5 man game. I think right now the difference has been 2 things - the Cavs are unaccustomed to a team that can switch everything and not give up a mismatch; and the Celtics backcourt is dominating the Cavs backcourt. It's got to wear you down when you are able to get free/beat your guy, and there's another one just as long waiting for you, while the original guy you beat is recovering to shut down the passing lane.

As for the guards - put Marcus Smart on the Cavs, and they are probably tied up 1-1. Put Kyrie back on the Cavs (and playing), and IMO they win this series easily. They just haven't had that spark on either side of the ball in the backcourt to get them going.

And how much freaking money is Marcus Smart earning right now?!? Holy shit. He is HUGE to what they're doing right now. That superman save down the sideline was just amazing, and talk about tone setting. He is just one tough mfer.
    The only thing that might give the Cavs more of a chance at home that I saw was about 5 or 6 "Leprechaun" moments in the Celtics favor. There were several times when the Cavs would deflect a ball or there would be a 50/50 bounce....and they all seemed to go right to the Celtics for open shots.

But even if all those went the other way, I don't think it would even it out. The Celtics are just a better team and proved it all year. They look better without Kyrie to me. When the Cavs and Celtics played in the regular season with Kyrie, the teams looked even with maybe a light edge to the Cavs.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by Harpospoke View Post
    My Mavs got horrible luck as usual. 4th best odds and they get the 5th pick. Luck like that can lead to the next 10 years being irrelevant. Great way to miss out on the next star. The rumor is they get Mo Bamba a physical specimen who needs to develop or Michael Porter Jr.....a guy with back problems.

Yay....

But it is funny looking at the draft prospects. I thought big men weren't important any more? Check out the top 7 prospects:

http://www.basketballinsiders.com/to...aft-prospects/
    Kings made out like bandits moving up to #2. If the Suns take DeAndre Ayton, then they can take Luka Donic.

Also it is not that big men aren't important...... It is the old version of big stiff lumbering 7 footers that can't shoot/pass. Big guys that can shoot, pass, move, play Def are still highly valued.

Look at some of the playoff scoring leaders.....

LBJ 6'8"
    AD 6'10"
    KD 6'9"
    Giannis 6'11'
    PG13 6'9"

Best new example at Center is a guy like Joel Embiid. 7'0" with some insane game at both ends of the floor. or even Ben Simmons at 6'10" playing guard.....
    Last edited by atomicpunk5151; 05.16.18 at 08:16 AM.

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen II
    Favorite VH Song

Dance the Night Away
    Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by atomicpunk5151 View Post
    Kings made out like bandits moving up to #2. If the Suns take DeAndre Ayton, then they can take Luka Donic.

Also it is not that big men aren't important...... It is the old version of big stiff lumbering 7 footers that can't shoot/pass. Big guys that can shoot, pass, move, play Def are still highly valued.

Look at some of the playoff scoring leaders.....

LBJ 6'8"
    AD 6'10"
    KD 6'9"
    Giannis 6'11'
    PG13 6'9"

Best new example at Center is a guy like Joel Embiid. 7'0" with some insane game at both ends of the floor. or even Ben Simmons at 6'10" playing guard.....
    But not just highly valued....they are valued over smaller players.

Of course the centers from the past would play that way if they were coming out today. Wilt could hit hook shots from the 3 point line with ease so imagine what he would do if he had an actually green light from the coach.

Imagine guys like Hakeem, Kareem, and Russell with those 3 point and ball handling skills. Even in the 80s the rare times Kareem was allowed to dribble, he didn't suck at it.

edit: Oh...KD is more like 7'0". He's been lying about his true height for years.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Looking forward to most of the Warriors being in FOUL TROUBLE all night...lol...

Hopefully they can play disciplined since you know the Refs will have a quick whistle anytime Harden or CP3 drive to the net. Draymond is all but certain to get a couple Ts on a must win night for the Rockets.... He better not even look at a ref...haha!!

You know the NBA does not want a sweep here....

Hang 'Em High
    Favorite VH Album

Depends on the Day of the Week
    Favorite VH Song

HAIL, D.O.A., TYWH
    Last Online

08.14.18 @ 07:27 AM
    Liked 1,676 Times in 1,020 Posts

A 25-year-old man was arrested after allegedly posing as a high school student in a Dallas Independent School District campus so he could compete in high school basketball, according to Texas officials. Now the University Interscholastic League, UIL, is monitoring the situation.

Dallas ISD police said Sidney Bouvier Gilstrap-Portley claimed to be a displaced Hurricane Harvey evacuee and enrolled as a freshman student at Skyline High School in August under the name Rashun Richardson. Federal law exempts people who claim to be homeless or an evacuee due to a natural disaster from requiring documents they might not have.

DISD says Gilstrap-Portley ended up at Hillcrest High School and joined the varsity basketball team there.

A woman who has a 14 year old daughter at Hillcrest High School told NBC 5 Gilstrap-Portley dated the young girl earlier this year. The woman asked NBC 5 not to make her name public. She says her daughter met Gilstrap-Portley at school in January. Her daughter told her they've kissed, but had no other sexual contact.

Hillcrest High School Principal Bayer said he and staff believed the suspect's story about being a hurricane evacuee, homeless with an absentee mother and younger siblings to care for.

He said he's since learned from police that the suspect Gilstrap-Portley has a child and girlfriend. Bayer says they came to basketball games, but staff believed the woman and child were a sister and nephew of the suspect.

https://www.nbcdfw.com/news/local/25...482727051.html
    "The VH Universe is built on a wall that separates CVH from SVH. Tell either side there's no wall, you've bought a war. Or a slaughter." Lt. Joshi - LAPD

11. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Favorite VH Album

The First One
    Favorite VH Song

I'm The One
    Last Online

08.14.18 @ 11:31 AM
    Liked 19,802 Times in 11,261 Posts

Houston, we have a series.

Does anybody still believe that Kevin Durant is NOT the best player on the Warriors?

Let's wee if the Rockets can get one of the next two in Oakland and keep this thing interesting.
    "It's so lonely at the top because it's so crowded at the bottom" - Diamond David Lee Roth

"Political correctness is fascism pretending to be manners" - George Carlin

"Women and Children First ... The REAL Van Halen III"

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen II
    Favorite VH Song

Dance the Night Away
    Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by I Coulda Hada VH View Post
    Houston, we have a series.

Does anybody still believe that Kevin Durant is NOT the best player on the Warriors?

Let's wee if the Rockets can get one of the next two in Oakland and keep this thing interesting.
    They do have the luxury of switching that "best player on the team" title around as needed.

Like you said, Rockets gotta get one in GS for this to mean anything. As if now, GS got the split they wanted.

Favorite VH Album

The First One
    Favorite VH Song

I'm The One
    Last Online

08.14.18 @ 11:31 AM
    Liked 19,802 Times in 11,261 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Harpospoke View Post
    They do have the luxury of switching that "best player on the team" title around as needed.

Like you said, Rockets gotta get one in GS for this to mean anything. As if now, GS got the split they wanted.
    Curry and Thompson were 10-30 tonight and 3-12 on 3s.

Harden and Paul were 15-38 tonight and 4-20 on 3s.

Ariza, Tucker and Gordon were 23-33 tonight and 12-18 on 3s.

Houston outrebounded Golden State 47-36.
    "It's so lonely at the top because it's so crowded at the bottom" - Diamond David Lee Roth

"Political correctness is fascism pretending to be manners" - George Carlin

"Women and Children First ... The REAL Van Halen III"

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen II
    Favorite VH Song

Dance the Night Away
    Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by I Coulda Hada VH View Post
    Curry and Thompson were 10-30 tonight and 3-12 on 3s.

Harden and Paul were 15-38 tonight and 4-20 on 3s.

Ariza, Tucker and Gordon were 23-33 tonight and 12-18 on 3s.

Houston outrebounded Golden State 47-36.
    I gotta wonder if Lebron was watching what KD was doing and said something like this:

"That's how it feels!"

16. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Favorite VH Album

WOMEN AND CHILDREN FIRST/ADKOT
    Favorite VH Song

EVERYBODY WANTS SOME!!
    Last Online

08.14.18 @ 11:26 AM
    Liked 10,727 Times in 5,842 Posts

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by The Rover View Post
    A 25-year-old man was arrested after allegedly posing as a high school student in a Dallas Independent School District campus so he could compete in high school basketball, according to Texas officials. Now the University Interscholastic League, UIL, is monitoring the situation.

Dallas ISD police said Sidney Bouvier Gilstrap-Portley claimed to be a displaced Hurricane Harvey evacuee and enrolled as a freshman student at Skyline High School in August under the name Rashun Richardson. Federal law exempts people who claim to be homeless or an evacuee due to a natural disaster from requiring documents they might not have.

DISD says Gilstrap-Portley ended up at Hillcrest High School and joined the varsity basketball team there.

A woman who has a 14 year old daughter at Hillcrest High School told NBC 5 Gilstrap-Portley dated the young girl earlier this year. The woman asked NBC 5 not to make her name public. She says her daughter met Gilstrap-Portley at school in January. Her daughter told her they've kissed, but had no other sexual contact.

Hillcrest High School Principal Bayer said he and staff believed the suspect's story about being a hurricane evacuee, homeless with an absentee mother and younger siblings to care for.

He said he's since learned from police that the suspect Gilstrap-Portley has a child and girlfriend. Bayer says they came to basketball games, but staff believed the woman and child were a sister and nephew of the suspect.

https://www.nbcdfw.com/news/local/25...482727051.html

18. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Hang 'Em High
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Bottoms Up!
    Last Online

08.14.18 @ 12:13 AM
    Liked 2,889 Times in 1,852 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Darrin Stephens View Post
    The Cavs are soft mentally weak team that plays zero defense. They need a facilitator at PG and to change their mindset defensively, just a lazy team on that side of the ball.
    They were playing defense in the first two rounds. They ranked fifth in D after that.
    They can do it they just get lazy, like you said.

20. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Hang 'Em High
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Bottoms Up!
    Last Online

08.14.18 @ 12:13 AM
    Liked 2,889 Times in 1,852 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ziggysmalls View Post
    Well I can't believe it but Celtics are for real. My prediction was way off Celtics in 5. Its funny because a few years ago I would be pissing and moaning but I am actually ok. Last year even I was all up in arms over a loss but this year I just kind of think the run they have is done and its ok. Lebron can go wherever and its cool.

I do think the Cavs will win at home at least one of the games. I guess there is still a chance they can win 2 at home and it could a best out of 3.
    It's not over yet. Celtics suck on the road, so far. Their shooting percentages drop dramatically on the road.
    I expect the Cavs to have some intensity at home. They've been blah so far.