Last Online

04.01.19 @ 11:06 AM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Default Joe Satriani: these are the guitarists who turned me down for G3

http://www.musicradar.com/news/joe-s...me-down-for-g3

"For many years, I was asking Eddie Van Halen… but that never went anywhere!"

2. thismusicsux thanked for this post.
    Banned!

Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Panama
    Last Online

03.24.20 @ 08:57 PM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Premium Member

I don't see Eddie ever doing something like that. Same as how Yngwie always said that Ed avoided him about jamming together. Pride? Ego? Fear?

Hard to say, but I don't think Ed is that type of player. I saw a clip a few years ago of George Lynch trading licks with Dokken's then new guitarist. The young gun was on fire and Lynch had his ass handed to him that night.

I don't think Ed wants or needs to be put in that situation.

D.O.A.
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

=VH= II
    Last Online

Yesterday @ 10:30 PM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Premium Member
    Achievements:
    Master PraiserSupremely-LikedVHLinks Proud!50,000 VHL Life PointsKnight Of Da Roundtable

Quote Originally Posted by RRvh1 View Post
    I don't see Eddie ever doing something like that. Same as how Yngwie always said that Ed avoided him about jamming together. Pride? Ego? Fear?

Hard to say, but I don't think Ed is that type of player. I saw a clip a few years ago of George Lynch trading licks with Dokken's then new guitarist. The young gun was on fire and Lynch had his ass handed to him that night.

Yeah, I always saw Ed as the self-taught guy who's got a great ear for notes and creating his own stuff (genius in that regard), but never one to jam with other guitarists since he never really studied guitar theory stuff, and he'd feel way out of his comfort zone on stage with someone like Vai or Satch for example who could play pretty much all of Ed's stuff and everyone else's too for that matter. That's just not Ed. And when you've won so many "greatest guitar player ever" awards as a player like Ed then I'm sure he's not wanting to have a live duel with any of the others, yeah partly for fear that they'd possibly upstage him and then that untouchable image of his would be shattered.
    Not a bad thing about Ed. Just my opinion about it.
    ☩ ☩ ☩

Hang 'Em High
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

II & WACF
    Favorite VH Song

HAIL & Simple Rhyme
    Last Online

Yesterday @ 04:04 PM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    VeteranMaster PraiserSupremely-LikedElite Daily Poster100,000 VHL Life Points

Ed is a legendary musician, Satch & Vai are not.

Why would Eddie feel the need to play some guitar wank-fest, when he's already
    been there, done that & closed the book.

What does he have left to prove?
    How would it benefit him to appear alongside Satch or the guy from Dream Theater?

It's not fear, it's more "What's the point?"

6. JUNGLE DRUMMER, rchop84, cfimages, DFVH5150 thanked for this post.
    Runnin' With The Devil

Posts Per Day
    Last Online

02.29.20 @ 07:03 PM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

I honestly wouldn't like to see Eddie do one of these things. He's not that type of player. Any time he's done jams in the past, he doesn't seem to fit in. He really needs his brother with him for him to play at his best. He's a bit lost without Al and he resorts to all his tried and true licks (Letterman appearances aside, he seemed pretty comfortable doing the Letterman show). Al is the only one who understands Eddie's odd sense of ryhthm. I think for the same reason, we've never ever seen Al do anything without his brother. Ed's very out of place playing with those types of shredder guitarists. I also would not like to see Jimmy Page do one of these, same reason, he's not that type of musician.

Hang 'Em High
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

II & WACF
    Favorite VH Song

HAIL & Simple Rhyme
    Last Online

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:

Page, Beck & VH are so beyond a G3 type scenario.
    Joe has to understand that.

I love Vai & Nuno, but they are still, in a sense, the children of Eddie.
    Eddie was the original gunslinger way back in 1978.

Today, he's in a different place.

9. thismusicsux, JUNGLE DRUMMER, turnbuckle, cfimages, Raldo thanked for this post.
    Take Your Whiskey Home
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

Van Halen II
    Favorite VH Song

Dance the Night Away
    Last Online

05.08.19 @ 10:10 AM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by RRvh1 View Post

The problem might be that Eddie sees it just that way.

I remember seeing the first G3 tour with Satch, Vai, and Eric Johnson. They each did their thing and all came out at the end to play together. It didn't feel like a competition to me. They all seemed to really enjoy playing together and appreciated what each had to offer in their unique way. They "get it".

But is it that way for Eddie? I dunno. Anyone remember reading about when Eddie got up and jammed with Steve Morse and Albert Lee in the early 80s? Supposedly Eddie played with them a while and eventually just gave up and stepped aside with something like a "I can't keep up with these guys".

Also brings to mind the stories of how Eddie refused to give advice to Randy Rhoads. Maybe it is a competition for Eddie?

11. RRvh1 thanked for this post.
    The Full Bug
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Girl Gone Bad
    Last Online

Yesterday @ 10:55 PM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Premium Member
    Achievements:
    Padawan PraiserVeteranSupremely-LikedVHLinks Proud!15,000 VHL Life Points

Yeah, it's not Ed at all. For a start, he doesn't have albums of instrumental music to play, he writes vocal songs for Van Halen, and he ain't gonna take VH on the road as Satch support gig.
    If you always search for bullshit on the Internet, all you ever read is bullshit

13. JUNGLE DRUMMER thanked for this post.
    Light Up The Sky
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

Van Halen
    Favorite VH Song

I'm The One
    Last Online

05.30.20 @ 08:28 PM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Premium Member
    Achievements:
    VeteranMaster PraiserSupremely-LikedElite Daily PosterVHLinks Proud!150,000 VHL Life Points
    Awards:
    The Congeniality Award

Quote Originally Posted by Harpospoke View Post

I remember seeing the first G3 tour with Satch, Vai, and Eric Johnson. They each did their thing and all came out at the end to play together. It didn't feel like a competition to me. They all seemed to really enjoy playing together and appreciated what each had to offer in their unique way. They "get it".

But is it that way for Eddie? I dunno. Anyone remember reading about when Eddie got up and jammed with Steve Morse and Albert Lee in the early 80s? Supposedly Eddie played with them a while and eventually just gave up and stepped aside with something like a "I can't keep up with these guys".

Also brings to mind the stories of how Eddie refused to give advice to Randy Rhoads. Maybe it is a competition for Eddie?
    I'm not sure he sees it so much as a competition. I just think that he's not wired that way and probably isn't interested in going up there and hearing and seeing reviews about how he "can't hang with the big guns" or whatever.

Outside of Eruption, when has Ed ever wrote "guitar masturbation" type music? In other words, he's not an instrumental guitarist, and the instrumentals he has done with the exception of Eruption and Spanish Fly aren't exactly shred fests. Cathedral, the Mean Street intro, Intruder, Little Guitars intro, 316, Tora Tora! are all rooted more in musical interludes or actual song like pieces of music as opposed to flashy show off guitar playing. The rest of his playing is oriented and arranged around playing with a band. And TBH, his rhythm playing matches or exceeds his lead playing.

I think a lot of people miss the boat when they think of or describe Ed as a guitar player. He has much more in common with Jimmy Page and Billy Gibbons than he does with Satch and Vai or Malmsteen, Johnson, etc.

That said, I'd like to see him go up on a G3 stage and do this.

Satch and Vai wouldn't stand a chance.
    Last edited by Get The Show On The Road; 10.09.17 at 03:06 PM.
    The only genre I really know is Van Halen.

15. JUNGLE DRUMMER, Harpospoke thanked for this post.
    Hot For Teacher
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

diver down
    Favorite VH Song

drop dead legs
    Last Online

Yesterday @ 11:00 PM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Premium Member
    Achievements:
    Master PraiserSupremely-LikedVHLinks Proud!75,000 VHL Life PointsKnight Of Da Roundtable

I saw Yngwie on the G3 he was great. To me Joe has always been the weak spot. But he's still great too. If Ed ever did it Alex has to be the drummer. Joe would have to get some bigger venues too as the ticket demand would be off the charts. Dream on wankers.
    EVH 1979: Well, actually it's not much of a vacation, because we run everything ourselves. We design our own album cover, we have to be in the office every day to sign checks - the whole corporation revolves around us. Nothing can be done without our approval. We even have photo approval.

Hang 'Em High
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

II & WACF
    Favorite VH Song

HAIL & Simple Rhyme
    Last Online

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:

Quote Originally Posted by Harpospoke View Post

That was an article in Musician magazine, and the writer had it out for Eddie.
    The guy was a total dick.

Steve Morse & Albert Lee are country shredders, the jam would be a clusterfuck, regardless.
    And i've never gotten the appeal of Morse.
    He picks everything & picks hard.
    It's just an abrasive sound/attack, every time i hear him play.

Hot For Teacher
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear About It Later
    Last Online

Yesterday @ 06:19 PM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    Master PraiserSupremely-LikedVHLinks Proud!100,000 VHL Life PointsThee King

OK, status, competition, pride, etc, etc. But at the same time, we might get to hear new instrumentals, or new versions of existing ones. It would be priceless. Shouldn't it be "all about the music?" One can dream.
    Little Dreamer

Top Of The World

Posts Per Day
    Last Online

Yesterday @ 10:30 PM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    Padawan PraiserWell-Liked15,000 VHL Life PointsKnight Of Da Roundtable

Quote Originally Posted by japeape View Post
    Ed is a legendary musician, Satch & Vai are not.

Why would Eddie feel the need to play some guitar wank-fest, when he's already
    been there, done that & closed the book.

What does he have left to prove?
    How would it benefit him to appear alongside Satch or the guy from Dream Theater?

It's not fear, it's more "What's the point?"
    Exactly this..I just can't get in to all that million frets per minute stuff. I appreciate Vai and his skills, but, meh and yeah Ed would never do this, nor Page
    Dealing with it.

20. JUNGLE DRUMMER thanked for this post.
    The Full Bug

Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

Van Halen
    Favorite VH Song

I'm the One
    Last Online

02.11.20 @ 07:31 AM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

The idea of Ed being scared is fucking daft. He's the guy who gets up and free wheels with Holdsworth on Allan's turf and playing Allan's style of music. Same when he inprovised alongside Steve Lukather at NAMM. And he did just fine without his brother - that angle's a myth. He just doesn't see the point - particularly as he doesn't have any solo material with which to play a set with.

As for Satch and Vai being able to play Ed's stuff and more - that's the key: Ed's stuff. The guy's a genius and invented what these guys copied. If anything they should be terrified of sharing a stage with him and of having to come up with technique and approaches that weren't derived from Ed.

One thing is for sure, out-techniqued or not, he would blow them away in the jams-of-famous-rock songs. Every time, every tour, every line-up, classic tracks like Hey Joe, Wishing Well, Highway Star, Smoke on the Water are butchered by 12 minutes of nonsensical, tuneless wanking that demonstrates no appreciation or synchronicity of the music they're ripping over. Even Satch who is the most melodic of the lot. Vai is the thinking player's Zakk Wylde - forgoing musical relevance and groove for his obsession to show off. In his case his array of scales and exotic sounds (as oppose
    Last edited by BlofeldsCat; 10.09.17 at 05:03 PM.

22. JUNGLE DRUMMER thanked for this post.
    Bullethead
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

WACF
    Favorite VH Song

As Is
    Last Online

07.02.20 @ 05:16 AM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    Padawan PraiserVeteranWell-Liked5,000 VHL Life Points

I'm glad Ed has never done G3. It's like the Vegas lounge act for shredders. I saw one. Petrucci/Gilbert/Satch. Petrucci's instrumental stuff put me to sleep. Gilbert came out and did a pop rock set where he sang his solo stuff, threw in an instrumental tribute to Mr. Big, had the other guy from Racer X come out and do Scarified with him, and sang more of his pop rock stuff. It was fun. Satch came out, did more instrumental stuff and put me back to sleep. I'm sorry the reason these guys can never touch Eddie is because he does what he does in a pop rock song setting. Satch, Vai, Petrucci, Yingwee, and most others all need this giant expose in order to come close to what Ed did in less than two minutes.