Last Online

03.24.20 @ 08:57 PM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by Harpospoke View Post
    The problem might be that Eddie sees it just that way.

I remember seeing the first G3 tour with Satch, Vai, and Eric Johnson. They each did their thing and all came out at the end to play together. It didn't feel like a competition to me. They all seemed to really enjoy playing together and appreciated what each had to offer in their unique way. They "get it".

But is it that way for Eddie? I dunno. Anyone remember reading about when Eddie got up and jammed with Steve Morse and Albert Lee in the early 80s? Supposedly Eddie played with them a while and eventually just gave up and stepped aside with something like a "I can't keep up with these guys".

Also brings to mind the stories of how Eddie refused to give advice to Randy Rhoads. Maybe it is a competition for Eddie?
    Not only that, but when Ed has jammed with Lukather, Morse, Lee, Holdsworth etc. there are almost always the same licks and patterns (both traditional and tapped) that he uses every single time. Ed would do well as a guest appearance one night on a G3 tour, but he'd have a hard time keeping up and sounding fresh night after night, with other players who have endless lead lines and improv ideas. IMO.

But again, Ed isn't that type of player... He's unique unto himself and more power to him.
    Besides - if he's able to be out touring I want it in the context of Van Halen! With Roth, Hagar, or both. But I want to hear those tunes he wrote and save the instrumental ditties for his live solo cadenza spotlight.

2. Harpospoke thanked for this post.
    Take Your Whiskey Home
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

Van Halen II
    Favorite VH Song

Dance the Night Away
    Last Online

05.08.19 @ 10:10 AM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Get The Show On The Road View Post
    I'm not sure he sees it so much as a competition. I just think that he's not wired that way and probably isn't interested in going up there and hearing and seeing reviews about how he "can't hang with the big guns" or whatever.
    That was my question really. If he doesn't see it as a competition, he wouldn't worry about a review like that. If he does worry about that kind of thing, it could only be because he does see in a competitive way.

Quote Originally Posted by japeape View Post
    That was an article in Musician magazine, and the writer had it out for Eddie.
    The guy was a total dick.

Steve Morse & Albert Lee are country shredders, the jam would be a clusterfuck, regardless.
    And i've never gotten the appeal of Morse.
    He picks everything & picks hard.
    It's just an abrasive sound/attack, every time i hear him play.
    Yeah I seem to remember a negative vibe to that article that would never come from a guy like Morse or Lee. Probably exaggerated.

I went to a Morse clinic once and someone asked him about Eddie (late 80s and he still got an Eddie question). Morse was very kind and added something like "he's a natural musician".

I like Morse as a songwriter as much as anything else really. Love his playing, but love his compositions just as much. He's a "shredder" but he didn't sound like the rest of them.

Quote Originally Posted by RRvh1 View Post
    Not only that, but when Ed has jammed with Lukather, Morse, Lee, Holdsworth etc. there are almost always the same licks and patterns (both traditional and tapped) that he uses every single time. Ed would do well as a guest appearance one night on a G3 tour, but he'd have a hard time keeping up and sounding fresh night after night, with other players who have endless lead lines and improv ideas. IMO.

But again, Ed isn't that type of player... He's unique unto himself and more power to him.
    Besides - if he's able to be out touring I want it in the context of Van Halen! With Roth, Hagar, or both. But I want to hear those tunes he wrote and save the instrumental ditties for his live solo cadenza spotlight.
    Seems like Eddie could dip into his 10 albums worth of material and bring Alex out with him.

It would take work of course. He would have to rehearse with Alex, a bass player and keyboard player maybe. But that shouldn't be a problem because his work ethic doesn't suck.

Sinner's Swing!

Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

I'm The One
    Last Online

12.26.18 @ 07:56 PM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

I see G3 type things as more about the guitar wankery. Ed is more about the song. The two don't match.

5. JUNGLE DRUMMER thanked for this post.
    Forum Frontman
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

Fair warning, 5150
    Favorite VH Song

HAIL, love walks in, 5150
    Last Online

@
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Donor

Achievements:
    Master PraiserSupremely-LikedElite Daily PosterVHLinks Proud!100,000 VHL Life PointsOld Guard

Sent from my iphone using Tapatalk

7. Get The Show On The Road thanked for this post.
    Hang 'Em High
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

WOMEN AND CHILDREN FIRST/ADKOT
    Favorite VH Song

EVERYBODY WANTS SOME!!
    Last Online

Today @ 05:56 AM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    Master PraiserSupremely-LikedElite Daily PosterVHLinks Proud!150,000 VHL Life PointsOld Guard
    Awards:
    The VHLinks Forum MAP (Most Active Poster)

Listening to the guitar only tracks Show posted in the other thread...Ed could just get up and play like stuff like Mean Street, Romeo Delight, I'm The One, Hang Em High, HAIL and on and on and on, and he would blow all those dudes off the stage. I couldn't careless how technically "superior" Yngwie thinks he is, he's not worthy of carrying Ed's guitar case.

None of the guys that have done the G3 wankfests combined have written as many classic incredible songs as Edward. Glad he never has done one of those tours. I think it was Jape who said it earlier...a G3 tour is beneath Ed, as it is Page as well.

9. cfimages thanked for this post.
    The Full Bug
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Yesterday @ 08:34 PM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Premium Member
    Achievements:
    Well-Liked15,000 VHL Life PointsOld Guard

Quote Originally Posted by edwardv View Post
    I saw Yngwie on the G3 he was great. To me Joe has always been the weak spot. But he's still great too. If Ed ever did it Alex has to be the drummer. Joe would have to get some bigger venues too as the ticket demand would be off the charts. Dream on wankers.
    Don't know what size venues these shows play, but I would guess clubs? Can't imagine anything bigger than small theaters for this kind of show. With or without Ed.
    SOME VH LINKS CLASSICS

"Sammy is fat, Dave is bald, Mike is next in line to be the Pope, Eddie is a drunk, Wolfie is fat, Gary is gay, CVH is VH, Mike is VH, Sammy can outsing Dave on a tequilla hangover, Eddie is a meth head, How Many Say I is the worst VH song ever, Up for Breakfast is a close second, Dave was horrible at radio and everybody hates the assless chaps.
    Ok I think that covers everything." Ziggysmalls

"I sense that some of our newer passengers may be nervous due to the sudden turbulence. Please be seated, this is simply a normal part of the periodic ride.
    I didn't say we'll get to the destination, but until Alex comes out a says what a complete waste of carbon DLR is, we're still climbing, so strap yourselves in.
    Those of you who have been on this ride before, the hottie in the mini will be around shortly with your drinks......." Red

Banned!

Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Panama
    Last Online

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by fudd View Post

Sent from my iphone using Tapatalk
    One of my favorite outside of VH jams that Eddie has done that has video footage. The top one for me is still the SNL Stompin' 8H one, although this Les Paul Tribute gig was also fantastic.

But again (in both cases) they are tunes or ideas that Eddie came up with, and the other guys learned and followed along. Eddie seems to be not such a shining star when he has to follow someone else's parameters...

There are different kinds of guitar shredding (yes, you can shred on the blues or jazz) and Ed is basically a great guitarist in the context of his band, but he'd stick out too much - perhaps not in a good way - onstage with Satch, Gilbert, Yngwie, Vai etc.

Banned!

Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Panama
    Last Online

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by edwardv View Post
    I saw Yngwie on the G3 he was great. To me Joe has always been the weak spot. But he's still great too. If Ed ever did it Alex has to be the drummer. Joe would have to get some bigger venues too as the ticket demand would be off the charts. Dream on wankers.
    I have the Denver G3 dvd and love it! To me, Vai and Malmsteen both destroy Satch.
    Joe just bothers me. Always did. Yngwie will drop jaws with his licks on Little Wing, along with Steve doing his legato stuff... Then Joe comes in like "I'm gonna play with feeling now. Got my neck pickup on and will play some slow bendy stuff 'cause I'm tasty."

The Full Bug
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Girl Gone Bad
    Last Online

Today @ 02:59 AM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Premium Member
    Achievements:
    Padawan PraiserVeteranSupremely-LikedVHLinks Proud!15,000 VHL Life Points

I've seen a couple of G3 shows, 1 with Petrucci and 1 with Lukather. I love Dream Theater but Petrucci's playing has never moved me at all. He's mind fuck good, but it's emotionless for me. I can listen to Vai for hours though, love his phrasing and composition. Satch, i'm done with in about 10-15mins. Lukather sang some tunes, which was great, but man, his tone was grating, which surprised me coz I usually love everything he does.
    If you always search for bullshit on the Internet, all you ever read is bullshit

Banned!

Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Panama
    Last Online

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by CalFB View Post
    I've seen a couple of G3 shows, 1 with Petrucci and 1 with Lukather. I love Dream Theater but Petrucci's playing has never moved me at all. He's mind fuck good, but it's emotionless for me. I can listen to Vai for hours though, love his phrasing and composition. Satch, i'm done with in about 10-15mins. Lukather sang some tunes, which was great, but man, his tone was grating, which surprised me coz I usually love everything he does.
    Petrucci is the same as Satch for me. As a guitarist you'd have to be foolish in the head to deny their talents, yet the music does absolutely nothing for me. Zip. Zilch. Zero.

Has Ritchie Kotzen done a G3 yet? I'd like to see that for sure.

Light Up The Sky
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

Van Halen
    Favorite VH Song

I'm The One
    Last Online

05.30.20 @ 08:28 PM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Premium Member
    Achievements:
    VeteranMaster PraiserSupremely-LikedElite Daily PosterVHLinks Proud!150,000 VHL Life Points
    Awards:
    The Congeniality Award

Quote Originally Posted by RRvh1 View Post
    One of my favorite outside of VH jams that Eddie has done that has video footage. The top one for me is still the SNL Stompin' 8H one, although this Les Paul Tribute gig was also fantastic.

But again (in both cases) they are tunes or ideas that Eddie came up with, and the other guys learned and followed along. Eddie seems to be not such a shining star when he has to follow someone else's parameters...

There are different kinds of guitar shredding (yes, you can shred on the blues or jazz) and Ed is basically a great guitarist in the context of his band, but he'd stick out too much - perhaps not in a good way - onstage with Satch, Gilbert, Yngwie, Vai etc.
    Hasn't he told us this though in countless interviews?

"Yeah, I couldn't stand the piano competition and lessons because they made me play it exactly as it was written."

"We got fired from a lot of clubs because I didn't sound like the record, I sounded like me."

It's ironic to me that I spent so much time trying to sound exactly like a guy who thought sounding like others was ridiculous.

I didn't get the memo...
    The only genre I really know is Van Halen.

16. JUNGLE DRUMMER, Harpospoke thanked for this post.
    Hot For Teacher
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear About It Later
    Last Online

Yesterday @ 10:30 PM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    Master PraiserSupremely-LikedVHLinks Proud!100,000 VHL Life PointsThee King

RRvh1, are you familiar with early Satch? Like the solos in "Crushing Day" and "Flying in a Blue Dream," Hordes of Locusts," etc. "Driving At Night" - "Day At The Beach." Awesome stuff.
    Little Dreamer

18. I Coulda Hada VH thanked for this post.
    The Full Bug
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

ADKOT
    Favorite VH Song

Outta Space
    Last Online

Yesterday @ 08:40 PM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Donor

Achievements:
    Padawan PraiserWell-Liked15,000 VHL Life PointsKnight Of Da Roundtable

I think Ed would do fine at a G3.

They all get up individually and play their own stuff, right? Basically a "greatest bits" show?

So who is going to have the best of that? Quick, someone name 3 Satch/Vai/Yngwie/Petrucci/Etc pieces that EVERYONE knows and loves that will get the reaction that say, I'm The One, Mean Street intro/song, Eruption/YRGM will. Or Spanish Fly.

I can't tell you one. I mean, I know a few Satch/Vai songs, and I've watch Malmsteen play fast many times on Youtube.....but for the most part, none of those guys play anything I want to hear. It's unlistenable. First you go "wow, he's fast"...then you go "yeah, but this isn't a great SONG"....and turn the channel.

Satch Boogie is pretty cool.....ironically, it sounds about like something Ed would do. Ed even basically said that about it.

Will anyone really give a crap if Ed got up for the jam at the end and couldn't play "Arpeggios From Hell" quite as fast as Yngwie can? All it is, is an exercise is playing a shitload of them, fast...repetitively.

Plus, I bet if Ed decided to do it, he'd practice up a bit and look very respectable while playing "their stuff", and everyone could laugh when none of the rest could sound remotely like him on "his stuff".
    I asked a ref if he could give me a technical foul for thinking bad things about him. He said, of course not. I said, well, I think you stink. And he gave me a technical. You can't trust em. -
    Jimmy V

20. JUNGLE DRUMMER, Get The Show On The Road thanked for this post.
    Banned!

Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Panama
    Last Online

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by Get The Show On The Road View Post
    Hasn't he told us this though in countless interviews?

"Yeah, I couldn't stand the piano competition and lessons because they made me play it exactly as it was written."

"We got fired from a lot of clubs because I didn't sound like the record, I sounded like me."

It's ironic to me that I spent so much time trying to sound exactly like a guy who thought sounding like others was ridiculous.

I didn't get the memo...
    Absolutely.
    And some might take this wrong (don't know why as Ed is my favorite guitarist, yet I can be honest) but Ed isn't really a good "jamming:" buddy. Most folks would love a signature sound, yet sometimes it just isn't called for when playing with other musicians. Then again, who am I to talk? Haha.

I know I'm probably not explaining this very well...

Banned!

Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Panama
    Last Online

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by Little Dreamer View Post
    RRvh1, are you familiar with early Satch? Like the solos in "Crushing Day" and "Flying in a Blue Dream," Hordes of Locusts," etc. "Driving At Night" - "Day At The Beach." Awesome stuff.
    I gave his first record a listen or two after reading Steve Vai gush about him.
    In one ear and out the other, although there's a couple of licks in "Always With Me Always With You" that briefly got my attention.

Heard some other stuff as well, like Summer Song, Big Bad Moon, FIABD, Midnight, etc.
    Again... I admit he's an awesome talent, yet his actual music doesn't grab me or make me want to put any given tune on repeat.