Page 144 of 236 FirstFirst ... 4494134141142143144145146147154194 ... LastLast
Results 2,146 to 2,160 of 3535
    Good Enough
    Last Online

09.23.18 @ 06:41 PM
    Liked 2,787 Times in 1,200 Posts

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by Purple Haze View Post
    . How many memes or vids have I seen on here mocking someone for their opposing view.

Typically mocking groups based on race, religion, sexual orientation, or gender will often say much much more about yourself than whatever argument you wish to make or entire group you wish to dismiss. Usually better to argue against an actual argument not an entire group of people. Those in history who approached entire groups as the problem seldom are treated well by time.

2. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Favorite VH Album

diver down
    Favorite VH Song

drop dead legs
    Last Online

09.24.18 @ 12:19 AM
    Liked 2,946 Times in 1,810 Posts

Premium Member

Man killed in Baltimore on Saturday was driving in funeral procession at time of shooting, police say

Ashamed to say I grew up in Baltimore. When I tell folks I'm from there most of them say I know why you left. Thats partially true because when I left the area in the mid 80s the situation was already bad since the 68 riots. Its 100 times worse now and the city leaders in some ways have given up.
    EVH 1979: Well, actually it's not much of a vacation, because we run everything ourselves. We design our own album cover, we have to be in the office every day to sign checks - the whole corporation revolves around us. Nothing can be done without our approval. We even have photo approval.

4. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Atomic Punk lovemachine97(Version 2)'s Avatar
    Last Online

09.23.18 @ 08:55 PM
    Liked 3,825 Times in 2,253 Posts

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by Darrin Stephens View Post
    Typically mocking groups based on race, religion, sexual orientation, or gender will often say much much more about yourself than whatever argument you wish to make or entire group you wish to dismiss. Usually better to argue against an actual argument not an entire group of people. Those in history who approached entire groups as the problem seldom are treated well by time.
    This is also true of the articles I see posted from leftist friends or tweets from leftists blogs that slag “White people” in general and characterize me based upon my race.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. The Following 2 Members Like This Post:

Good Enough
    Last Online

09.23.18 @ 06:41 PM
    Liked 2,787 Times in 1,200 Posts

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by lovemachine97(Version 2) View Post
    This is also true of the articles I see posted from leftist friends or tweets from leftists blogs that slag “White people” in general and characterize me based upon my race.

Its intellectual weakness. I'll side step a view or having to understand your position by just addressing a broad group to cast my view against. It is also flat out racist AF to assume most black, white, etc... are uniform and primary driver of beliefs, intellect, etc... Assholes come in all shapes, sizes and colors

8. The Following 3 Members Like This Post:

Favorite VH Album

The Magnificent 7
    Last Online

09.23.18 @ 05:51 PM
    Liked 14,239 Times in 8,011 Posts

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by lovemachine97(Version 2) View Post
    It’s low on the list, but the idea of coerced patriotism rubs me the wrong way. I’m guessing you’re okay with students being able to opt out, yes?

Of course! I have no problem with the opt out option.
     "He has a swaggering retro machismo that will give hives to the Steinem cabal" -Camille Paglia on Donald Trump

"Make way for the bad guy"- Tony Montana

'This hamburger don't need no helper"- David Lee Roth

"I wish Bon Jovi would've given me a call before he recorded all of his hits, because the lyrics would've been smarter, the melodies would've been much more smashing, and they would've sold a lot fewer records." -David Lee Roth

"My beef is people thinking Bon Jovi is good cuz they sold lots of records to housewives." -tango

"But being number one doesn’t really mean jack fuck all. We sold twice as many records as other records that year (1984) that landed in the Number One position." ~Eddie Van Halen

10. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Mean Street
    Last Online

09.21.18 @ 09:21 AM
    Liked 1,104 Times in 613 Posts

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by bklynboy68 View Post
    Of course! I have no problem with the opt out option.
    Totally okay with the pledge at private, voluntary events. Extremely uncomfortable with the pledge at government financed, compulsory institutions like school.

TK

12. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Atomic Punk
    Last Online

09.24.18 @ 12:17 AM
    Liked 2,029 Times in 1,375 Posts

Premium Member

Warriors coach Steve Kerr urges youth to keep fighting for gun safety, awareness

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/2...t-gun-violence

Dude thinks he is some kind of expert. Yeah, his dad died at the hands of a gunman, but that doesn't make him anymore of an expert on guns or laws than it makes a victim of the Boston Bombings a bomb expert. Sorry, that's not how any of this works.
    Michael Caine on Jaws: The Revenge:

"I have never seen it, but by all accounts it is terrible. However, I have seen the house that it built and it is terrific."

Samuel Johnson 1775 : “Patriotism is the last refuge of a scoundrel”

"McDonalds is The Antichrist" - Bill Hicks

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jSH6ofHbeUw

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Mean Street
    Last Online

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by rocknblues81 View Post
    Warriors coach Steve Kerr urges youth to keep fighting for gun safety, awareness

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/2...t-gun-violence

Dude thinks he is some kind of expert. Yeah, his dad died at the hands of a gunman, but that doesn't make him anymore of an expert on guns or laws than it makes a victim of the Boston Bombings a bomb expert. Sorry, that's not how any of this works.
    I don't really see a problem with what he said. At one point he says, "I'm not going to pretend changing gun laws will stop all violence..." or something like that. He's just relating to kids who are upset about a real and terrifying problem.

I don't agree with what these kids are demanding in many cases, but their civic engagement is much more productive than what I was doing at their age.

TK

Atomic Punk
    Last Online

09.24.18 @ 12:17 AM
    Liked 2,029 Times in 1,375 Posts

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by pickslide View Post
    I don't really see a problem with what he said. At one point he says, "I'm not going to pretend changing gun laws will stop all violence..." or something like that. He's just relating to kids who are upset about a real and terrifying problem.

I don't agree with what these kids are demanding in many cases, but their civic engagement is much more productive than what I was doing at their age.

TK
    Yes, it's a terrifying problem. But it's also a problem when most of the people that are doing the lecturing don't have a clue as to what they're talking about. The ones that seem to be heard are the emotional knee jerk people that say things like "common sense" in regards to issues that they don't understand.
    Michael Caine on Jaws: The Revenge:

"I have never seen it, but by all accounts it is terrible. However, I have seen the house that it built and it is terrific."

Samuel Johnson 1775 : “Patriotism is the last refuge of a scoundrel”

"McDonalds is The Antichrist" - Bill Hicks

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jSH6ofHbeUw

Favorite VH Album

VH I
    Last Online

09.24.18 @ 01:06 AM
    Liked 732 Times in 464 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by edwardv View Post
    Man killed in Baltimore on Saturday was driving in funeral procession at time of shooting, police say

Ashamed to say I grew up in Baltimore. When I tell folks I'm from there most of them say I know why you left. Thats partially true because when I left the area in the mid 80s the situation was already bad since the 68 riots. Its 100 times worse now and the city leaders in some ways have given up.
    It's the only major U.S. city where I've felt unsafe in broad daylight in the good part of town.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Mean Street
    Last Online

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by rocknblues81 View Post
    Yes, it's a terrifying problem. But it's also a problem when most of the people that are doing the lecturing don't have a clue as to what they're talking about. The ones that seem to be heard are the emotional knee jerk people that say things like "common sense" in regards to issues that they don't understand.
    I hear a lot of lecturing from all sides, so I don't agree with your "most of the people" comment. I do, however, agree with your assessment of the marketing cliche "common sense" as it applies to making new gun laws. As I see it, we already have common sense gun laws. You have to pass a criminal background check to buy from a retailer. Perhaps we should require "universal" background checks, or pass laws holding irresponsible sellers accountable. I don't know.

"Common sense" seems to be a code word designed to make it look like you don't have common sense if you disagree with my proposal. But banning so-called assault rifles, for example, is the opposite of common sense. We banned them in '94, then lifted the ban. And gun murder has been plummeting ever since.

Anyway, I suspect you and I are in general agreement on gun laws. I just think we adults are being way too hard on kids who, right or wrong, have a legitimate gripe.

TK

Favorite VH Album

The Magnificent 7
    Last Online

Premium Member

Totally okay with the pledge at private, voluntary events. Extremely uncomfortable with the pledge at government financed, compulsory institutions like school.

TK
    Why? And that is an honest question.
     "He has a swaggering retro machismo that will give hives to the Steinem cabal" -Camille Paglia on Donald Trump

"I wish Bon Jovi would've given me a call before he recorded all of his hits, because the lyrics would've been smarter, the melodies would've been much more smashing, and they would've sold a lot fewer records." -David Lee Roth

"My beef is people thinking Bon Jovi is good cuz they sold lots of records to housewives." -tango

"But being number one doesn’t really mean jack fuck all. We sold twice as many records as other records that year (1984) that landed in the Number One position." ~Eddie Van Halen

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Mean Street
    Last Online

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by bklynboy68 View Post
    Why? And that is an honest question.
    Not a fan of coercion to begin with. Even less so when that coercion mixes with compulsory pledges of allegiance. Smacks of fascism/communism. A compulsory pledge is worthless on its face. And a pledge under social pressure in a coercive institution isn't much better, if at all.

It's the presence of that state agent that ruins it for me.

p.s. - totally okay with voluntary clubs pledging and/or praying, even in school. But in my view anything top-down is creepy and a mild form of brainwashing, especially when proctored by agents of the state.

TK

Favorite VH Album

The Magnificent 7
    Last Online

Premium Member

Not a fan of coercion to begin with. Even less so when that coercion mixes with compulsory pledges of allegiance. Smacks of fascism/communism. A compulsory pledge is worthless on its face. And a pledge under social pressure in a coercive institution isn't much better, if at all.

It's the presence of that state agent that ruins it for me.

p.s. - totally okay with voluntary clubs pledging and/or praying, even in school. But in my view anything top-down is creepy and a mild form of brainwashing, especially when proctored by agents of the state.

TK
    I disagree with you , I don't see it as fascism/communism. The opt out is there for those that refuse to take part. You won't find that in a fascist/communist country.

Thank you for taking the time to respond.

Last Online

09.23.18 @ 08:56 PM
    Liked 10,787 Times in 6,476 Posts

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by Purple Haze View Post
    I'll return to Main and slag on Dave and Ed some more and leave you guys to reinforce your own views.
    C'mon now. Dont be a "delicate flower".

22. The Following Member Likes This Post: