Favorite VH Song

I'm The One
    Last Online

06.26.19 @ 06:04 PM
    Liked 15,447 Times in 8,096 Posts

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by Daisy Hill View Post
    Nokomis Florida

3 dead 2 injured, one critically. The shooting occurred at about 11:13 p.m. on Monday, according to the Sheriff’s Office.

http://www.heraldtribune.com/news/20...er-and-suicide

NOKOMIS —Three people are dead and two are injured in a double murder and suicide Monday night, the Sarasota County Sheriff’s Office says.

According to the Sheriff’s Office, the shooting was reported in the 400 block of Kenwood Avenue in Nokomis at about 11:13 p.m. All the people involved are accounted for and there is no threat to the public.

Five people who were all known to each other were involved. Three are dead; one person was taken to the hospital in critical condition and the fifth person has minor injuries.

The identities of those involved have not been released pending notification of next of kin.

A deputy who responded to the crash at 11:31 p.m. was involved in a minor traffic crash at West Lucaya Avenue and Albee Farm Road, Perez said. The deputy was not injured.wounded
    Nice sensationalism there with your thread title.

5 people who knew each other and probably got in a squabble is hardly a mass shooting, no more than if I git pissed off and murdered my wife and kids, killed my dad when he tried to stop me and then turned the gun on myself.
    The only genre I really know is Van Halen.

2. The Following 2 Members Like This Post:

Atomic Punk Get The Show On The Road's Avatar
    Favorite VH Album

Van Halen
    Favorite VH Song

I'm The One
    Last Online

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by Little Dreamer View Post
    Sorry guys, but the "it's worse in Chicago so let's do nothing" reasoning is total BS. You guys are just saying this because none of your family members got hit. If it was someone close to you, you wouldn't be in favor of the status quo, believe me. Tons of pro-gun ppl affected by the tragedy changed their mind.

You heard of the Brady bill? Well Brady was/is a Republican.
    Wrong, wrong, wrong.

My dad was close to the bombing at the Boston Marathon and I am not in favor of the security measures they've put in place since.

You might think this way, but many of us do not.

4. The Following 2 Members Like This Post:

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Panama
    Last Online

06.05.19 @ 03:16 PM
    Liked 2,887 Times in 1,804 Posts

Premium Member

Miami......a drive by that ironically happened at a vigil for a woman killed in a drive by.......4 shot

MIAMI (CBSMiami) – Parents are speaking out after what Miami-Dade police are calling a “non-fatal shooting” of four adults one hour after a candle light vigil for a woman who was murdered last week.

The vigil, held NW 20th Avenue and NW 65th Street, was for Victoria Tutson. The 30-year-old mother of four was riding in a car with a friend when someone shot at it. Tutson, who was struck by several bullets, was taken to North Shore Hospital where she died.

Laveta Wesley said her 31-year-old son Edward Jordan was at the vigil for Tutson when a car drove by and fired on them. Jordan was hit in the side.

“I’m heartbroken because my son is laying up here in trauma, not knowing that it was, anybody could have been killed, anybody,” she said outside the hospital.

Devontae Hemans, 18, who was sitting on a porch near the vigil, was also wounded. He is a senior at Miami Central Senior High School.

His mother, Latrese Williams, told CBS4’s Peter D’Oench, “I’m very heartbroken and I am devastated because this happened to my child. My heart also goes out to the other parents. This is terrible, just terrible, especially for the family of the mother who lost her life last week.”

“I don’t feel good about that, man. Kids are supposed to be out in the open, at 8 o’clock at night people are shooting, that don’t make no sense,” said Hemans’s stepfather Anthony Hemans.

“It’s senseless you know. A lot of that happens, a lot of kids die from that every year. People need to stop, that’s what they need to do, ya’ll need to stop because it don’t make no sense. Innocent people are getting killed,” said Devontae’s stepmother, Jennifer Johnson.

The shooting at the vigil happened just blocks away from where Tutson was shot. In both cases, shots were fired by someone in a silver vehicle. Police have not said if the shootings are related.

Wesley said she wants answers.

“Yes, I really do. Why? Why? And to find out who did and why,” she said.

Miami-Dade Police say two females who are 19 and 25 years old were also wounded in the Tuesday night drive-by that happened at 8:48 p.m. near the Lincoln Fields apartments.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Panama
    Last Online

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by Get The Show On The Road View Post
    Nice sensationalism there with your thread title.

5 people who knew each other and probably got in a squabble is hardly a mass shooting, no more than if I git pissed off and murdered my wife and kids, killed my dad when he tried to stop me and then turned the gun on myself.
    the reasoning behind people trying to decide if it is a "mass shooting" or a "domestic" is similar to the thinking where Katrina was a catastrophic but Maria,,,not so much, only 35 people killed!

Atomic Punk
    Last Online

06.26.19 @ 05:22 PM
    Liked 4,328 Times in 2,608 Posts

There was a Freakonomics podcast several weeks ago about this group of troubled teens they studied into adulthood. One group had “big brothers” intervening (think like the Catholic big brothers) and the other didn’t. As adults, the group who had big brothers felt they were better off in life because of it.

One problem: the data showed the group WITHOUT intervention were better off in life (steady job, family, no jail or less jail, fewer dependency issues, etc.). It was a large study with lots of data. The conclusion was clear. It was enough to cause one guy who’d dedicated his life to mentoring troubled youth to cease immediately. They had some theories on why this was the case, but one thing was clear.

The point: all these mentors thought they were helping, felt good about helping, were proud of their work—but never stopped to ask if they were ACTUALLY helping. And they weren’t. Not just that, they were actually harming them, even if unintentionally.

That’s the gun debate in this country. There are people who want no restrictions and people who want to ban guns. In the middle are people saying “do something,” the Jimmy Kimmels. The other side of the middle is saying, “You need to ask yourself if your ‘something’ actually helps. In fact, it might harm by NOT stopping another mass shooting and by keeping a peaceful citizen from protecting themselves.”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8. The Following 2 Members Like This Post:

Last Online

06.22.19 @ 03:17 AM
    Liked 1,305 Times in 676 Posts

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by lovemachine97(Version 2) View Post
    There was a Freakonomics podcast several weeks ago about this group of troubled teens they studied into adulthood. One group had “big brothers” intervening (think like the Catholic big brothers) and the other didn’t. As adults, the group who had big brothers felt they were better off in life because of it.

One problem: the data showed the group WITHOUT intervention were better off in life (steady job, family, no jail or less jail, fewer dependency issues, etc.). It was a large study with lots of data. The conclusion was clear. It was enough to cause one guy who’d dedicated his life to mentoring troubled youth to cease immediately. They had some theories on why this was the case, but one thing was clear.

The point: all these mentors thought they were helping, felt good about helping, were proud of their work—but never stopped to ask if they were ACTUALLY helping. And they weren’t. Not just that, they were actually harming them, even if unintentionally.

That’s the gun debate in this country. There are people who want no restrictions and people who want to ban guns. In the middle are people saying “do something,” the Jimmy Kimmels. The other side of the middle is saying, “You need to ask yourself if your ‘something’ actually helps. In fact, it might harm by NOT stopping another mass shooting and by keeping a peaceful citizen from protecting themselves.”

Off topic but I like freakonmoics. Sometimes the topics are are hit and miss with me but overall it's a good podcast.

10. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Favorite VH Album

II & WACF
    Favorite VH Song

HAIL & Simple Rhyme
    Last Online

06.26.19 @ 03:21 PM
    Liked 11,251 Times in 6,137 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Get The Show On The Road View Post
    Wrong, wrong, wrong.

My dad was close to the bombing at the Boston Marathon and I am not in favor of the security measures they've put in place since.

You might think this way, but many of us do not.
    I was a block away, and felt the second bomb go off.
    I remember thinking we had a very minor earthquake.

I was the second person to know what happened at work, because my colleague
    had gotten a phone call from his GF who was there, as it happened.
    He told me, i told the manager, but she gave me a look like: Yeah, sure, kid...

A minute later, all the alarms went off with emergency commands coming through
    the speakers.

I was like, "Told ya."

But, yeah, i felt it, and seconds after, the kid covering my break gave me the info as he
    got it, on the phone with his GF.

Atomic Punk Get The Show On The Road's Avatar
    Favorite VH Album

Van Halen
    Favorite VH Song

I'm The One
    Last Online

Premium Member

the reasoning behind people trying to decide if it is a "mass shooting" or a "domestic" is similar to the thinking where Katrina was a catastrophic but Maria,,,not so much, only 35 people killed!
    This is nonsensical.

13. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Atomic Punk
    Last Online

No, but we do distinguish between hurricanes and earthquakes because the root cause, prevention, and response is different, even if both are equally damaging.

15. The Following 2 Members Like This Post:

Atomic Punk
    Last Online

06.26.19 @ 06:05 PM
    Liked 2,216 Times in 1,505 Posts

As a man, I can admit that we do a lot of stupid shit... And we're responsible for most of these shootings, but its laughable to hear all of these soccer mom's that know nothing about this shit but are still the ones that want to decide the policies the most. Congress has a hard enough time doing anything good themselves...These chicks in Hollywood and the music biz makes me laugh.
    Michael Caine on Jaws: The Revenge:

"I have never seen it, but by all accounts it is terrible. However, I have seen the house that it built and it is terrific."

Samuel Johnson 1775 : “Patriotism is the last refuge of a scoundrel”

"McDonalds is The Antichrist" - Bill Hicks

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jSH6ofHbeUw

"See, if you look at the drug war from a purely economic point of view, the role of the government is to protect the drug cartel." - Economist Milton Friedman (1991)

17. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Favorite VH Album

The Magnificent 7
    Last Online

06.26.19 @ 05:37 PM
    Liked 16,942 Times in 9,579 Posts

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by rocknblues81 View Post
    As a man, I can admit that we do a lot of stupid shit... And we're responsible for most of these shootings, but its laughable to hear all of these soccer mom's that know nothing about this shit but are still the ones that want to decide the policies the most. Congress has a hard enough time doing anything good themselves...These chicks in Hollywood and the music biz makes me laugh.
    In other words, you don't watch The View?
     "He has a swaggering retro machismo that will give hives to the Steinem cabal" -Camille Paglia on Donald Trump

"But, fucking with Brook is like fucking with hot shit on and ax handle. You just don't get a grip"-track5

"Make way for the bad guy"- Tony Montana

'This hamburger don't need no helper"- David Lee Roth

"I wish Bon Jovi would've given me a call before he recorded all of his hits, because the lyrics would've been smarter, the melodies would've been much more smashing, and they would've sold a lot fewer records." -David Lee Roth

"My beef is people thinking Bon Jovi is good cuz they sold lots of records to housewives." -tango

"But being number one doesn’t really mean jack fuck all. We sold twice as many records as other records that year (1984) that landed in the Number One position." ~Eddie Van Halen

19. The Following 2 Members Like This Post:

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Panama
    Last Online

Premium Member

Parkland Florida

high school active shooter

multiple fatalities reported

How can we protect these kids? This is awful

Massachusetts by way of the Great State of New Jersey
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Changes with the day
    Last Online

06.26.19 @ 09:16 AM
    Liked 999 Times in 641 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

As counter-intuitive as it is, we stop it by shutting it off. No press, no names, no reporters on the scene talking to idiot bystanders who know nothing, no sensationalism. Just a national response of only fucked up stupid people who aren't worth talking about would ever do this.

Unfortunately, this isn't going to change. The more it happens, the more sensational it is, the more attention is given, the more it will continue to happen. Whether it's a crazy person or a terrorist, they want attention. Period.

22. The Following 2 Members Like This Post:

Baluchitherium
    Favorite VH Song

Humans Being
    Last Online

06.26.19 @ 11:39 AM
    Liked 967 Times in 539 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by lovemachine97(Version 2) View Post
    The rate of gun homicides has halved since 1993. So we are headed in the right direction.

Said none of the family members of the 11,660 shot.
    Winners come and go; legends are forever.

24. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Atomic Punk
    Last Online

Default Today's mass shooting is brought to you by.......

Quote Originally Posted by Scott View Post
    Said none of the family members of the 11,660 shot.
    I’m sure none of the women raped in the US last year are soothed by the fact that they’re better off here than in Saudi Arabia.

So your position is what, it would be no worse if twice as many people were shot and killed this year?

…said none of the 11,660 families who didn’t have members shot and killed this year.

26. The Following Member Likes This Post: