Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
    Eruption
    Last Online

12.12.17 @ 12:25 PM
    Liked 913 Times in 484 Posts

Default The Digital Age - are you in it?

We probably have people who are still analog and tube types here, but is anyone using the new digital-age stuff?

For my podcast I bought a used Mackie 1402 Pro mixer off of E-Bay. I saw Paul Shaffer using a similar model on TV, and Prince's keyboard player was using one, and in a recent video tour of Sunset Sound I saw what looked like Mackies all around the studio, so I felt like a stud!

Just now on Facebook someone mentioned using a brand called a Midas. I thought it must be an autocorrect error, but I looked it up. Midas makes mixers where the mic inputs are in one box that then communicates with mixer software on your iPad/Android tablet by WiFi. A sound man can walk all over a venue with their iPad and evaluate the sound from every seat! It also has automated mixes where you just set what needs to happen with mic volumes in a song and it does it automatically, even somehow avoiding feedback. And this guy on Facebook says his will also switch his HD cameras!

So I don't plan on updating and love my Mackie, but wow, I guess this thing is a T-model now.

Then I'm also seeing genuine tube Marshall heads selling for $500-$650 used. Used to getting even a used Marshall for under $1,000 was unheard of. Makes me wonder if lots of people are switching to Fractals and Line 6's, Headrushes, etc. and dumping their tube heads?

Please update this "grandpa" on what's going on.

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen II
    Favorite VH Song

Dance the Night Away
    Last Online

12.16.17 @ 05:44 PM
    Liked 2,802 Times in 1,451 Posts

I'm all in on the 21st century. I pretty much embrace every new advancement that comes along. The digital mixers are going to make analog mixers into dinosaurs pretty quickly imo. Like you said...you can walk all over the venue with a tablet or even your phone and make adjustments to the mix. Best part is how you can save the mix for the next time you play that venue. The next show there you just setup and do a quick sound check to fine tune.

Other things like having a tablet mounted on the mic stand with the setlist on it. No more printing/writing out the setlist. You can edit the order of the songs on the fly if someone wants to change things around. Plus just touch the song and the lyrics pop up if needed. You can then set them to scroll at any speed you want and adjust the size of the font for the bad eyes.

Digital recording is a godsend too. Just amazing things all over the place. I'm not a fan of the "good old days".

Eruption
    Last Online

12.12.17 @ 12:25 PM
    Liked 913 Times in 484 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Harpospoke View Post
    Digital recording is a godsend too. Just amazing things all over the place. I'm not a fan of the "good old days".
    Definitely! I learned with the one and only band I ever put together that I'm not a group project kind of guy. I love that I can use MIDI and soundfonts and put a complete track together, mixed just how I want it. No trying to scat an idea at a drummer, or point at the frets to a bass player to get them to do what you want. Plus I always thought the whole idea of a band was to get to make a record, so now I just cut to making a record and skip playing the bars!

The only thing I can't do is sing. When I can download a freeware Steve Marriott I'll be all set.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

12.17.17 @ 11:22 AM
    Liked 11,598 Times in 4,945 Posts

Love digital recording but can't imagine myself ever playing live without an amp.
    Webmaster
    VHLinks.com - Your Van Halen Internet Resource Guide
    http://www.vhlinks.com

JamToThis.com
    Audio/Video Trading Community
    Tons of Van Halen!

5. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Romeo Delight
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning-1984-F.U.C.K
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 07:38 PM
    Liked 38 Times in 23 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Brett View Post
    Love digital recording but can't imagine myself ever playing live without an amp.
    This - I don't mind using digital tools to get something recorded but in a live situation a tube amp is mandatory in my opinion. If I was a professional in a professional band I could spend hours, days, weeks getting sound from a tube amp. In my homemade studio it has to be quick and easily accessible to record so I use Pod Farm 2.

Favorite VH Album

All of them
    Favorite VH Song

All Of Them!
    Last Online

12.17.17 @ 08:06 AM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I love the new tools available to us now! A lot of it is truly amazing stuff! I tend to use a mix of old school "hands on knobs" and new digital for recording. I use my mac for some stuff, for other things I use my Tascam DP-02 recording digital 8 track. I will always use an tube amp either miked or with my Palmer into a DAW interface. I also use my Line 6 PODXT for quick hook ups. Easy to use and great sound.
    "If you don't have anything nice to say...what is understood doesn't need to be discussed."-Me