Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Romeo Delight
    Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

My full Zeppelin collection are on LP's, and that's how I am accustomed to listening to it...

Before my Wife and I married, she bought the Zep box set on CD.

Being that I had everything on LP, we shelved the CD collection...

Well, last night we were going through some boxes, and yanked out the CD set; thought that it'd be great to hear it while taking a drive by the ocean.

Track after track, I had to turn it off. I couldn't listen to it. It was that harsh.

Is it me? I guess I didn't realize the difference...When you think about it, half of Van Halen was released on CD from the beginning, so I never made the connection...

I still can't believe it...
    "The day will come when it will sound better, but it will still be digital. To me, it just isn't musical. And when it comes to music, I'm the Unabomber of digital technology. I hate it." -Eddie Van Halen

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

the classic 6 pack
    Favorite VH Song

hmmm...everybody wants some
    Last Online

12.10.17 @ 06:14 PM
    Liked 963 Times in 385 Posts

[img]graemlins/wtf.gif[/img]

JMJ
    "you can't change JMJ, it's legendary"- Brett Norton 9/24/07

"It's the "JMJ" everyone had grown to love, man! Time to blow the roof off this place!"
    -Zachenfoot 2/23/10

"The links just look a little better with JMJ. Always has, always will." -Hurricane Halen 2/24/10

"I'm doin' the victory dance. Told ya I'd be back. Tell me ya missed me. Say it like ya mean it" - Blood and Fire. =VH= 2012. Welcome back boys :headband:

"I don't give a flying fuck about Motley Crue. I give about a half a fuck about Rush. I like Van Halen and don't give a flying fuck how many tickets they all sell. Any questions?"- jimmyw

Romeo Delight
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Well, i take a listen to Fair Warning on cd, and then I also have the LP. I played the lp, and was blown away.. I prefer the LP if its kept in good condition.. It takes on a totally different sound... But, cd's are good, because the material is remastered and you can hear more of what's going on.. There are negative and posative sides to both.
    "And my loves got no rain check baby!"-DLR

Last Online

12.07.17 @ 01:08 PM
    Liked 10 Times in 5 Posts

Originally posted by JMJ:

JMJ
    I agree with JMJ so much, I'll give him two:

[img]graemlins/wtf.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/wtf.gif[/img]

Hey Me Wise Magic,

Trying putting the CD's in upside down, maybe that would help??

Last Online

11.12.17 @ 09:04 PM
    Liked 121 Times in 68 Posts

Donor

Originally posted by mattjw01:
    Well, i take a listen to Fair Warning on cd, and then I also have the LP. I played the lp, and was blown away.. I prefer the LP if its kept in good condition.. It takes on a totally different sound... But, cd's are good, because the material is remastered and you can hear more of what's going on.. There are negative and posative sides to both.
    For whatever reason, my Fair Warning LP is the best-sounding LP I have ever owned.

Romeo Delight
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Originally posted by Crown Royal:
    </font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by JMJ:

JMJ

Hey Me Wise Magic,

Trying putting the CD's in upside down, maybe that would help?? [img]graemlins/wtf.gif[/img]
    </font>[/QUOTE]Uh, yeah...

Maybe you can explain why LP's have a much broader range of sounds?
    "The day will come when it will sound better, but it will still be digital. To me, it just isn't musical. And when it comes to music, I'm the Unabomber of digital technology. I hate it." -Eddie Van Halen

Last Online

12.07.17 @ 01:08 PM
    Liked 10 Times in 5 Posts

Originally posted by Me Wise Magic:
    </font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Crown Royal:
    </font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by JMJ:

JMJ

Hey Me Wise Magic,

Trying putting the CD's in upside down, maybe that would help?? [img]graemlins/wtf.gif[/img]
    </font>[/QUOTE]Uh, yeah...

Maybe you can explain why LP's have a much broader range of sounds?
    </font>[/QUOTE]Relax Magic, it was just joke, so chill.

My point is, that most "LP's" that have since been replaced on CD end up sounding better than on LP.

Now I'm sure that this is NOT the case with all albums (I do not own the Zep Box set), but with many albums it is the case (RUSH for example).

My whole point is, I guess I would find it hard to believe that a band that you love is considered "harsh" just beacuse of the media it is on.

[img]smile.gif[/img]

Romeo Delight
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Originally posted by Crown Royal:

Relax Magic, it was just joke, so chill.
    Sorry that I caught you the wrong way, although I still gotta disagree [img]smile.gif[/img]

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

"5150"
    Last Online

04.05.12 @ 09:06 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

I for one think that most music has a superior sound quality on CD than on vinyl, but I have heard some CD's that have had very shitty-sounding mastering when first put on CD. It's only these poorly-mastered discs that sound as bad or worse than their vinyl counterparts.

That having been said, I think the LZ Boxed Set sounds much better than the vinyl or cassette versions.
    Scott Roberts
    The Official Scott Roberts Blog - http://www.scottrobertsweb.com
    FORMER owner of The VH Trade Site - http://www.vhtrading.com

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Mean Street
    Last Online

05.17.09 @ 06:50 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

Frankly I was glad to hear them come out with the remixed collection. Ed would always play the background on one side and the lead on the other and my car had one of the front speakers out. All I heard was the rhythm track during the solos and the bass drum sounded like a trash can because my blown 6x9 speaker wasn't mounted, it was stuck to the floor (no carpet) behind the drivers seat by the magnet.

Romeo Delight
    Favorite VH Album

Any
    Favorite VH Song

Any
    Last Online

04.19.12 @ 08:32 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

The reason CD's don't have the same quality of vinyl is that they are digital, and to digitize sound you have to sample it. The minimum for a sampling rate is twice the highest frequency of the sample, but that is not a limit. Unfortunately the record companies, in their infinite wisdom , decided the minimum is "good enough" for commercial products, as 90% of the buying public can't hear what's missing. Records sound better because they are an analog recording that can reproduce the subtle overtones and harmonics that a lot of good rock artists produce. Eddie even felt that digital mastering ruined III, even asking the interviewer at the time if the cassette tape he made of the III album didn't sound better (the interviewer agreed). Hope this helps.
    Into every life, a little Halen must fall

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning & 1984
    Favorite VH Song

Girl Gone Bad
    Last Online

12.06.17 @ 07:36 AM
    Liked 106 Times in 43 Posts

Wawazat is right on the money.

Favorite VH Album

All
    Favorite VH Song

Way Too Difficult
    Last Online

12.09.17 @ 12:49 PM
    Liked 63 Times in 33 Posts

CD does not have as much bandwidth as vinyl, so a good pressing played on a quality turntable will always sound better than CD. However, I have an SACD player, and it sounds amazing - definitely better than vinyl or CD. Just wish Warner Bros would bring some VH out on the format.
    Salt shaker, little lick a lime...

Top Of The World
    Favorite VH Album

OU812
    Favorite VH Song

So This Is Love?
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hey Pat and whawazat, great posts both of you, right on the money!!!

I was wondering if someone was going to make mention of the SACD format!!

I am a huge Van Halen fan, and at the same time I am a bit of a music "hobbyist". I strive for teh best possible sound I can get. I am also only 20, so affording some of the top notch equipment has been difficult. And, I agree somewhat with those who believe that records sound better, as, the trend these days seems to be on "smaller" sound sources. Well, more compression=-crappier sound.

However, I as well have an SACD player, along with a top-notch NAKAMICHI receiver, and I use exclusively PARADIGM speakers, with a 12" PARADIGM subwoofer, and I guarantee you MWM, if you came over to my place, your Zep cd's would sounds pretty good...

It's actually funny, maybe you experienced this Pat, because my equipment has gotten so good, I actually had to STOP listening to old VH, because it was picking up all the flaws. However, I rushed out and bought all the remasters, and the difference has been ASTOUNDING. Diver Down, VH2 and Fair Warning sound amazing, with VH1, 1984 and WACF slightly disapointing, but still much better.

Also, one question Pat...I was under the impression that for something to be "authentic" SACD, it had to be RECORDED IN SACD, and that as of now, an artist had to actually SIGN A DEAL WITH SONY TO MAKE THESE TYPES OF RECORDINGS. I've also heard on many occasions that a lot of bands/groups/artists are shying away from this, because although SACD is an amazing format, it hides nothing, so bands like N'SYNC, would have a difficult time "hiding their shittiness" like they do now.

I have often wondered if VH wants to sign with Sony and be one of the first big bands to record in SACD, because it would definately be something that I could see Eddie wanting to do...

Anyway, very interesting thread and some great responses everyone!

Favorite VH Album

All
    Favorite VH Song

Way Too Difficult
    Last Online

12.09.17 @ 12:49 PM
    Liked 63 Times in 33 Posts

Originally posted by bizzatch:
    one question Pat...I was under the impression that for something to be "authentic" SACD, it had to be RECORDED IN SACD, and that as of now, an artist had to actually SIGN A DEAL WITH SONY TO MAKE THESE TYPES OF RECORDINGS. I've also heard on many occasions that a lot of bands/groups/artists are shying away from this, because although SACD is an amazing format, it hides nothing, so bands like N'SYNC, would have a difficult time "hiding their shittiness" like they do now.
    Hi bizzatch, SACD is just another multi-channel format similar to Dolby Digital 5.1 or DTS, you don't actually have to use all the channels to hear the improvement in sound quality provided by the extra bandwidth. You obviously didn't get the "Various Artists" demo disc I did when I bought my machine, on that, many of the tracks have been remixed into the multi-channel format, but some are left in stereo. But they all share the same incredible sound quality, hence my earlier comment hoping WB will release some of the VH back catalogue. In the UK SACD seems to be winning easily over the rival DVD-A format, which I must admit I haven't heard, probably because of the extremely limited software available compared to SACD - but of course I'm only talking in relative terms here.
    Salt shaker, little lick a lime...