Page 3 of 18 FirstFirst 12345613 ... LastLast
    Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

The Magnificent 7
    Last Online

02.19.20 @ 06:52 PM
    Liked 19,926 Times in 11,446 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Pacfanweb View Post
    Yeah, I don't know why Dave thinks that sounds good when he sings like that. Surely not everyone around him is an ass kisser who just says "you sound great" no matter what?

Sam's voice is fine. Little lower, little less smooth...sure, but you just tune down a bit and keep rolling. He sounds like an older Sammy Hagar, but is very consistent.

Dave, I think would still sound like a 63 year old David Lee Roth if he would sing like David Lee Roth instead of singing like someone is stepping on his balls.
    He could sing in his normal voice, just a little lower...but he just...doesn't. I don't get it. The dude seemingly loves accolades and attention. He can't be oblivious to all the flak he caught during that last tour for how he sang. Just sing, Dave. Sing in your normal voice, sing in time, sing on key, sing all the words. You can still get your Diamond Dave on in between songs.
    No, Sam does not sound "just fine". When Dave stays in his normal register, like he did for most of the second half of 2015, he sounds like Dave minus the banshee scream. It is what it is and both men have lost in the vocal category.
     "He has a swaggering retro machismo that will give hives to the Steinem cabal" -Camille Paglia on Donald Trump

"But, fucking with Brook is like fucking with hot shit on and ax handle. You just don't get a grip"-track5

"Make way for the bad guy"- Tony Montana

'This hamburger don't need no helper"- David Lee Roth

"I wish Bon Jovi would've given me a call before he recorded all of his hits, because the lyrics would've been smarter, the melodies would've been much more smashing, and they would've sold a lot fewer records." -David Lee Roth

"My beef is people thinking Bon Jovi is good cuz they sold lots of records to housewives." -tango

"But being number one doesn’t really mean jack fuck all. We sold twice as many records as other records that year (1984) that landed in the Number One position." ~Eddie Van Halen

2. The Following 2 Members Like This Post:

Romeo Delight
    Last Online

01.18.20 @ 02:38 AM
    Liked 65 Times in 42 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Little Dreamer View Post
    http://www.blabbermouth.net/news/dav...e-stars-video/

Watch at your own peril, when it comes to the quality of the singing performance...
    That was pretty brutal. Kudos to him for giving his time and energy to support the fundraiser. But what I don't get is why Dave doesn't do something to strengthen his voice. He obviously takes care of himself, but seems to neglect his voice. I get that he is in his 60s and we can't expect him to be the same DLR as he was 30 years ago. But it does not seem like he is putting in the effort to improve that which has been pointed ad naseum as an issue. If not for himself, how about for fans who shell out a lot of money to see him perform. Maybe not for this performance, but for the last couple of tours.

Sinner's Swing!
    Favorite VH Song

Hang `em High, I'm the One
    Last Online

02.19.20 @ 11:34 AM
    Liked 2,045 Times in 1,174 Posts

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by DRFC View Post
    You sound like a nine year old playing fashion police.
    Because you probably look like a mentally challenged clown in an argyle sweater and plaid pants as you type this.

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

I'm the One
    Last Online

02.19.20 @ 01:35 PM
    Liked 2,653 Times in 1,253 Posts

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by ArtyBoy View Post
    Because you probably look like a mentally challenged clown in an argyle sweater and plaid pants as you type this.
    You were the one typing that, genius.

Favorite VH Album

VHI-VHII-WACF-FW-DD-1984-ADKOT
    Favorite VH Song

Now - HoneyBabySweetieDoll
    Last Online

02.19.20 @ 08:53 AM
    Liked 315 Times in 93 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by TravelingMan View Post
    That was pretty brutal. Kudos to him for giving his time and energy to support the fundraiser. But what I don't get is why Dave doesn't do something to strengthen his voice. He obviously takes care of himself, but seems to neglect his voice. I get that he is in his 60s and we can't expect him to be the same DLR as he was 30 years ago. But it does not seem like he is putting in the effort to improve that which has been pointed ad naseum as an issue. If not for himself, how about for fans who shell out a lot of money to see him perform. Maybe not for this performance, but for the last couple of tours.
    This is the problem, in a nutshell, if I may...

Dave's voice IS strong... the bottom line (as has been stated by myself and many others here) is that DLR since the '07-'08 Tour (where he absolutely destroyed!!!) has chosen
    to sing (or revert back) to the 'yelping, high nasally, singing way off melody and strain to sound like he can sing high' style of vocalizing. His voice is strong and he has all the tools (even the semi-scream as evidenced by a few of the last shows on the 2015 tour) to sound like 'Classic' Diamond Dave with the low whiskey growl, etc...

In his own mind, he thinks he sounds good doing this... apparently nobody is telling him he does not, and if they are, he is not listening... in '07/'08 he had something to prove and absolutely regained the crown... and now he went from King to Jester, if I may sound cheesy...

As a singer I can attest, his voice is strong and basically all there... it is his 'stylistic vocal choices' that are keeping him in this clown persona... his melody lines and octave jumps are MIND BOGGLING (the plaid outfits and overalls don't help)... I fully believe the 'Cool Diamond Dave' is in there...

But he is DLR and he will do as he pleases... still Dave Or Grave... but I can be honest in my assessment

FALCO
    \m/ \m/
    Wicked Maraya - www.Facebook.com/WickedMaraya / www.WickedMaraya.com
    NEW Wicked Maraya out now!!!
    'Lifetime In Hell' on MASSACRE Records!!!
    *** VIDEO - Suicidal Dawn *** - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aURv...rt_radio=1&t=0

The Smokin' Aces - The BEST Of ROCK, POP, PUNK, DANCE, DISCO, COUNTRY & FUNK!!!! www.Facebook.com/TheSmokinAces

"A little more volume in the headphones please..."

7. The Following 4 Members Like This Post:

Sinner's Swing!
    Favorite VH Song

Hang `em High, I'm the One
    Last Online

02.19.20 @ 11:34 AM
    Liked 2,045 Times in 1,174 Posts

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by DRFC View Post
    You were the one typing that, genius.
    Much like with this post I quoted you, shithead.

Baluchitherium
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Drop Dead Legs
    Last Online

01.10.20 @ 09:27 PM
    Liked 3,902 Times in 1,979 Posts

Ok, I only watched Gigolo because I've got to head out the door but I'll watch the rest later. But honestly, I had no problem with it at all. I obviously hear what others always refer to about him going too high and all that, and yes, there's no reason he couldn't minimize that and improve things. But my issue with Dave's singing has always been (and this goes back to the old days which is I think why some other people say he's never sung well live) that he so often doesn't even sound like he's hearing the music he's singing over. He'll come in late on this line, and then the next line he'll leave out three words, and then the next line he'll come in too early, and then he'll skip the next line, etc.

It drives me absolutely crazy and as much of a live music fan as I am even most bootlegs from the old days wear on me fast because of it. It's like listening to a band where the guitarist is playing in 4/4 and the drummer is playing in 5/4. It's headache inducing and makes everything just sound like a jumbled out of sync mess, no matter how good the band sounds. And that's one thing I think Dave is actually much better with on modern tours. The fact that he wouldn't or couldn't ever simply put the words where they go bugged me way more than straining too high ever has. Dave is pretty much hitting his marks here, and I think he's putting effort in. I've got no problem with this at all given that context. I also think he looks good and is having fun and is doing a good thing. Good on Dave!

10. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Last Online

02.20.20 @ 12:07 AM
    Liked 11,663 Times in 6,443 Posts

Premium Member

Thanks Little Dreamer and Blabbermouth for being current and on the ball. My morning poop thanks you too... just enough reading time to let that one loose.

12. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

I'm the One
    Last Online

02.19.20 @ 01:35 PM
    Liked 2,653 Times in 1,253 Posts

Premium Member

Much like with this post I quoted you, shithead.
    Nice try, genius.

Atomic Punk Get The Show On The Road's Avatar
    Favorite VH Album

Van Halen
    Favorite VH Song

I'm The One
    Last Online

02.19.20 @ 10:13 PM
    Liked 18,029 Times in 9,581 Posts

Premium Member

You could have just called him "retarded..."
    The only genre I really know is Van Halen.

Banned!
    Last Online

11.25.18 @ 07:41 PM
    Liked 11,193 Times in 6,766 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Get The Show On The Road View Post
    You could have just called him "retarded..."
    Dumbfuck and when I say that, it's to denigrate you.

16. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Favorite VH Album

The First One
    Favorite VH Song

I'm The One
    Last Online

02.19.20 @ 10:28 PM
    Liked 25,656 Times in 14,574 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Number 47 View Post
    Thanks Little Dreamer and Blabbermouth for being current and on the ball. My morning poop thanks you too... just enough reading time to let that one loose.
    KLOS DJ Marci Wiser here in So Cal basically repeated the same story (about Sammy saying his idea for the dual singer reunion is dead, not your morning poop) yesterday around 11:00 am.
    "It's so lonely at the top because it's so crowded at the bottom" - Diamond David Lee Roth

"The truth sounds like hate to those who hate the truth" - Todd Wagner

"Women and Children First ... The REAL Van Halen III"

Good Enough
    Last Online

02.18.20 @ 11:45 AM
    Liked 1,362 Times in 533 Posts

Just picking...Why does Dave look like he is event beneficiary rather than a guest performer?

Joel Goddard has to be Dave's biological father...

19. The Following 2 Members Like This Post:

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning & 1984
    Favorite VH Song

Girl Gone Bad
    Last Online

02.09.20 @ 08:49 PM
    Liked 132 Times in 50 Posts

David's work in VH is amazing, but I don't understand his voice anymore. WTF. He could sound great, but he chooses to push well beyond where he should be singing and kinda blows it. Come on Dave... give us a break....

21. The Following 2 Members Like This Post:

Favorite VH Album

ADKOT
    Favorite VH Song

Outta Space
    Last Online

02.19.20 @ 08:33 PM
    Liked 959 Times in 514 Posts

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by TravelingMan View Post
    He's a heavy smoker. Takes a toll on the respiratory system over the years, including the voice.

If he quit, I bet his voice would get a lot stronger over the next year.
    I asked a ref if he could give me a technical foul for thinking bad things about him. He said, of course not. I said, well, I think you stink. And he gave me a technical. You can't trust em. -
    Jimmy V