Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast
    Good Enough
    Last Online

04.22.19 @ 02:21 PM
    Liked 791 Times in 416 Posts

Default Gibson Guitars Not Long For The World?

https://www.thestreet.com/story/1428...-its-debt.html

A lot of Gibson players have lamented the drop in quality over the last decade and most put the blame on the company's decline squarely on the shoulders of CEO Henry Juszkiewicz. The last decade, Gibson put out some absolutely terrible designs like the two below that crashed and burned in the marketplace:

Other complaints include most of the best luthiers in the custom shop have essentially been driven out of the company and retailers are pissed they have to see an unreasonable number of dollars of Gibson product to remain an authorized dealer. Finally, a lot of guitarists were not happy with Gibson shoving their crappy G-Force tuners onto all their core models the last couple years.

Finally, it's not a secret guitar-based music/bands are an endangered species. Fender is in trouble as well although not to the degree Gibson is. And Sam Ash and Guitar Center are teetering on the brink of bankruptcy too.

Favorite VH Album

1984, VH1, ADKOT
    Favorite VH Song

ATBL, China Town
    Last Online

04.23.19 @ 05:32 AM
    Liked 207 Times in 127 Posts

I know a little about this. The Custom shop is on the brink as they've fired their top 3 employees over the past couple of years. Gibson USA was killed in 2015 by bad policy (G force tuners etc), and has barely recovered. I know the dealer rules are onerous. Dave's Guitar Shop recently left Gibson, as a major dealer example. Definitely need to get rid of Henry, which is a problem, as he owns the company
    "People ask me how far I've come. And I tell them twelve feet: from the audience to the stage." - David Lee Roth

Little Dreamer
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning.
    Favorite VH Song

Romeo Delight.
    Last Online

04.17.19 @ 12:56 PM
    Liked 10 Times in 8 Posts

Henry must go if they want to survive. Even if the right new CEO appears, it will take years to turn the tide. Rock & a hard place anybody?
    l

4. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Push comes to shove
    Last Online

04.21.19 @ 05:38 PM
    Liked 1,300 Times in 805 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by JPP View Post
    Henry must go if they want to survive. Even if the right new CEO appears, it will take years to turn the tide. Rock & a hard place anybody?
    l
    Fuck em
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."

ďA patriot must always be ready to defend his country against his government.Ē

Last Online

04.23.19 @ 03:06 AM
    Liked 1,300 Times in 675 Posts

Premium Member

I got my Gibson back in 2004. It's a faded studio all mahogany body, nothing special. Looking at them today and holy crap the new faded studios are horrid. It most definitely shows they are cutting corners to save a few bucks. If I were shopping today I'd go the used market for sure.

7. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Favorite VH Song

Seventh Seal/Me Wise Magic
    Last Online

10.07.18 @ 06:44 PM
    Liked 504 Times in 309 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by evhintexas View Post
    Fuck em
    My man, when you are fantasizing, don't go for attainable, you can get attainable at the local Applebee's. - Dave's Dreidel

Sinner's Swing!
    Last Online

01.08.19 @ 08:26 PM
    Liked 1,390 Times in 814 Posts

Henry absolutely needs to go.

I saw a vid from YT the other night that absolutely left me speechless. a brand new $2800.00 Les Paul guitar with the following issues:

High E action too high and bridge thumbwheel already bottomed....Bridge so maladjusted it looked to have a 30 degree angle from the low to high E!
    Neck tongue rise so severe that the notes fret out even with the ridiculously high action.
    Neck actually set wrong in the pocket.
    Binding overscraped revealing a thick transition to the lacquer. = chipped or flaking in short order.
    frets undercut, and binding nibs not dressed correctly allowing high E to snag in the excessive gap.
    Proper sealing of maple top prior to sunburst staining/tinting not sufficient allowing unusual blotchiness at certain angles.
    The A tuner is crooked....Not drilled to template/jig spec. Appeared to be eyeballed.

The guy had to order this guitar in to his local store, and when he got it, the above is what he found.

I always maintain that you should always play a guitar before you buy, but in this day and age, with online retailers, a lot of stores simply don't always stock as many as they used too.
    For $2800.00, you may not get exactly what you want, but c'mon! That kind of money should at least ensure that you get a playable guitar!

It's inexcusable.

It was so bad that many commenters thought he got scammed and was given a fake....but all the documentation checked out.

Favorite VH Album

Fair warning, 5150
    Favorite VH Song

HAIL, love walks in, 5150
    Last Online

@
    Liked 7,221 Times in 3,593 Posts

Donor

Sadly Gibson used to have this issue in the 80-90's period too. Don't really see how it's his fault. He ain't setting em up and making them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Panama
    Last Online

04.23.19 @ 04:40 AM
    Liked 8,709 Times in 6,265 Posts

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by we die young View Post
    Henry absolutely needs to go.

I saw a vid from YT the other night that absolutely left me speechless. a brand new $2800.00 Les Paul guitar with the following issues:

High E action too high and bridge thumbwheel already bottomed....Bridge so maladjusted it looked to have a 30 degree angle from the low to high E!
    Neck tongue rise so severe that the notes fret out even with the ridiculously high action.
    Neck actually set wrong in the pocket.
    Binding overscraped revealing a thick transition to the lacquer. = chipped or flaking in short order.
    frets undercut, and binding nibs not dressed correctly allowing high E to snag in the excessive gap.
    Proper sealing of maple top prior to sunburst staining/tinting not sufficient allowing unusual blotchiness at certain angles.
    The A tuner is crooked....Not drilled to template/jig spec. Appeared to be eyeballed.

The guy had to order this guitar in to his local store, and when he got it, the above is what he found.

I always maintain that you should always play a guitar before you buy, but in this day and age, with online retailers, a lot of stores simply don't always stock as many as they used too.
    For $2800.00, you may not get exactly what you want, but c'mon! That kind of money should at least ensure that you get a playable guitar!

It's inexcusable.

It was so bad that many commenters thought he got scammed and was given a fake....but all the documentation checked out.
    That sounds like one hell of an expensive nightmare!
    "There's too many people on this basketball that's floating around the sun, who are too afraid to allow themselves to FEEL" - Edward Van Halen
    "Van Halen was never about the singer..." - A very wise fan.
    "Embrace the past. Live in the moment but keep your eyes on the future, and keep on moving forward..." - Richie Sambora

Good Enough
    Last Online

04.23.19 @ 06:18 AM
    Liked 1,652 Times in 939 Posts

On one hand I can understand that you have to bring the guitars in line with modern tastes and expectations. If someone tried to play anything from Van Halen to Metallica with a `59 Les Paul, they would be sorely disappointed. Much lower output pickups with no wax potting.

But those goofy-ass G-force tuners! If you can't tune your guitar yourself, you shouldn't be playing! Then they came out with the 100th birthday models with that handwritten scrawl on the headstock that looked like a Sharpie. I was just looking at the 2017 SG's and they've removed the traditional "Rhythm-Treble" ring from the switch, and the knobs don't have the "Volume" and "Tone" reflectors. I wouldn't mind Grovers one bit, but they're locking tuners. I can see how it could make a string change fast, but...I dunno. I feel like locking tuners are for tremolo guitars, not stop tailpiece SG's.

I've got four Gibsons, and I would say all but one have had some little issues. On the 1990 Les Paul, which I got brand new, the knobs were a bit too big for the pots and would rattle until I got new pots awhile back. On the 2000 Les Paul and 2004 SG the high E can slip off the neck, especially on the SG. I may have to get a nut cut sometime (my stadiums full of fans demand perfection). On the `00 Les Paul it seems like I have to have the action higher than I would like to avoid fret buzz, but maybe as I practice more the action will feel "lower." I've also got an SG Classic with the P-90's, and that one's flawless.

My Fenders, including the ones branded Charvel and Jackson, Mexican and American, were ready to roll right away.

Despite the issues, though, the #1 thing I was after with the Gibsons is intact: it's awesome as hell to lift the lid on the plush-lined case and see a classic Gibson guitar with shiny chrome looking up at you!

13. The Following 2 Members Like This Post:

Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by ArtyBoy View Post
    On one hand I can understand that you have to bring the guitars in line with modern tastes and expectations. If someone tried to play anything from Van Halen to Metallica with a `59 Les Paul, they would be sorely disappointed. Much lower output pickups with no wax potting.
    Depends what their expectations or knowledge were in getting the sound. If they hear the early VH sound and think it's DISTORTED, than yes, they would be disappointed if they used a lower output pickup. They would also be slightly misguided (I'd say incorrect, as well) in terms of what they're hearing.

They should be using that low output pickup in the 59 Lester with a dimed, slightly dirty-ish amp and I reckon they would get closer than anybody with a stock EVH Wolfgang and 5150III. Actually, I'd probably guarantee they would. If you listen to Ed's tone on 1984...it sounds like a vintage Les Paul. It has that "quack" that only those pickups have.

Also, the Franky pickup came from a vintage 335, lets not forget.
    Last edited by MF5150; 09.06.17 at 05:15 PM.
    My man, when you are fantasizing, don't go for attainable, you can get attainable at the local Applebee's. - Dave's Dreidel

15. The Following 2 Members Like This Post:

Good Enough
    Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by MF5150 View Post
    Also, the Franky pickup came from a vintage 335, lets not forget.
    That he potted and rewound himself by hand, not counting the winds.

Good Enough
    Last Online

Oh, wait, and...

18. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Knew he potted it, but didn't know he rewound it. Interesting.

Grain of salt as I don't trust a single fucking word he has said about his setup/guitars. His stories have bounced around more than Sofia Vergara's tetas in a wagon driving through Monument Valley. I think a lot of the things he said back in the day, were just misdirection so nobody copied him.

Good Enough
    Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by fudd View Post
    Sadly Gibson used to have this issue in the 80-90's period too.
    If it's a newer guitar with issues, it's because quality has slipped. If it's a vintage guitar with issues, it's because it was "lovingly handcrafted."