Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Last Online

02.20.19 @ 08:46 AM
    Liked 426 Times in 256 Posts

I didn't bother to read the whole thread so if some one beat me to it I apologize.

I have it on excellent authority Gibson is fine and is going nowhere. The reports of their demise have been greatly exaggerated. GC is in trouble. So use up your old gift cards before it's too late. I am.
    VH III is Ed's solo album. So everybody who keeps saying they wish he'd do one needs to stfu and listen to III. Then stfu again.

Last Online

12.26.18 @ 11:07 AM
    Liked 60 Times in 38 Posts

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by AFU View Post
    I didn't bother to read the whole thread so if some one beat me to it I apologize.

I have it on excellent authority Gibson is fine and is going nowhere. The reports of their demise have been greatly exaggerated. GC is in trouble. So use up your old gift cards before it's too late. I am.
    Gibson retail sales are fine. They aren't going anywhere. OTOH, there's a good chance that 'ol Henry is going to get leveraged out of a job.

Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Favorite VH Song

Seventh Seal/Me Wise Magic
    Last Online

10.07.18 @ 07:44 PM
    Liked 504 Times in 309 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by AFU View Post

Not sure if this post was sarcastic but I hope it was. Gibson needs to be saved by somebody who cares about the history of the brand and the fucking nutjob running the joint needs to go back to sniffing permanent markers and paint stir-sticks under a desk somewhere.

With respect to GC, I'll wait for the liquidation sale.

My man, when you are fantasizing, don't go for attainable, you can get attainable at the local Applebee's. - Dave's Dreidel

Romeo Delight
    Last Online

02.20.19 @ 04:14 PM
    Liked 73 Times in 29 Posts

Maybe the best thing that could happen to Gibson is to go bankrupt and another person or company pick up the pieces and fix whatís actually wrong with the company.. horrible quality control.. that said itís better now than it was a few years ago.
    maybe gibson will sell off some brands and Fender will buy Kramer (one can hope lol)

Iím currently looking at an R9, itís a 2014 model thatís still new, I can get it for $1,700 off.

Favorite VH Album

1984, VH1, ADKOT
    Favorite VH Song

ATBL, China Town
    Last Online

02.19.19 @ 09:56 AM
    Liked 200 Times in 121 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by evh5150vanhalen View Post
    Maybe the best thing that could happen to Gibson is to go bankrupt and another person or company pick up the pieces and fix what’s actually wrong with the company.. horrible quality control.. that said it’s better now than it was a few years ago.
    maybe gibson will sell off some brands and Fender will buy Kramer (one can hope lol)

I’m currently looking at an R9, it’s a 2014 model that’s still new, I can get it for $1,700 off.
    Get that R9! I have a 2013 & it's an amazing guitar
    "People ask me how far I've come. And I tell them twelve feet: from the audience to the stage." - David Lee Roth

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Too many to list...
    Last Online

02.20.19 @ 06:58 AM
    Liked 328 Times in 176 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by KS 5150 View Post
    Get that R9! I have a 2013 & it's an amazing guitar
    The one I posted above is also a 2013 R9...and the best guitar I've ever owned...period. I had to sell it once during a particularly bad financial period and tracked it down and bought it back just as soon as I was able.

Romeo Delight
    Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by RogueNT View Post
    Henry absolutely needs to go. In fact, I believe his creditors have said as much...something like, they'll only agree to a bailout if Henry steps down.

That said...this one will be buried with me....

Is that sunrise tea burst?

It looks like Iím going for the R9, $1,700 off
    And it will be the sunrise tea burst, one a few in that color have made itís way to Canada according to what I read.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Too many to list...
    Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by evh5150vanhalen View Post
    Is that sunrise tea burst?

It looks like Iím going for the R9, $1,700 off
    And it will be the sunrise tea burst, one a few in that color have made itís way to Canada according to what I read.
    According to the paperwork that came with it, it's a "Felder Burst." That guitar is one of 25 that Vic Da Pra commissioned for his "Shadows of '59" series in 2013. I tried about 15 or 16 different Historics and True Historics at the time I bought it and I kept coming back to that one. It's honestly the "best" guitar I've ever owned in my life...in terms of feel, tone and just how I bonded with it.
    Last edited by RogueNT; 03.01.18 at 02:52 PM.

Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by RogueNT View Post
    According to the paperwork that came with it, it's a "Felder Burst." That guitar is one of 25 that Vic Da Pra commissioned for his "Shadows of '59" series in 2013. I tried about 15 or 16 different Historics and True Historics at the time I bought it and I kept coming back to that one. It's honestly the "best" guitar I've ever owned in my life...in terms of feel, tone and just how I bonded with it.
    Burstbuckers in it? Or Custom buckers?

I'm not partial to the big flames (unless its Pearly or Principle Skinner) but that sunburst is gorgeous.
    My man, when you are fantasizing, don't go for attainable, you can get attainable at the local Applebee's. - Dave's Dreidel

Romeo Delight
    Last Online

The only thing that is making me second guess pulling the trigger is past experiences with Gibsons

Iív Had
    2008 standard
    2012 standard
    2014 standard plus
    2016 es les paul standard sans F holes

2008 and 2012 standards had build quality issues and wouldnít stay in tune
    My 2014 stayed in tune perfect once I put a fender LSR roller nut on it
    The ES, I didnít play too often because of the hollow body squeal, but it was a beautiful guitar

And Iím still on the fence on whether I want to modify my car more or get the R9 lol
    Last edited by evh5150vanhalen; 03.01.18 at 07:21 PM.

Last Online

02.20.19 @ 08:46 AM
    Liked 426 Times in 256 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by MF5150 View Post
    Not sure if this post was sarcastic but I hope it was. Gibson needs to be saved by somebody who cares about the history of the brand and the fucking nutjob running the joint needs to go back to sniffing permanent markers and paint stir-sticks under a desk somewhere.

With respect to GC, I'll wait for the liquidation sale.

I'm very serious. Gibsons short term future is secure. Financially.

GC. Even with what I know I'll believe it when I see it. I expect a downsize first at some point. And liquidation?!? Of what? Squires and Epis? Yuck. No thanks
    Last edited by AFU; 03.02.18 at 01:54 PM.
    VH III is Ed's solo album. So everybody who keeps saying they wish he'd do one needs to stfu and listen to III. Then stfu again.

Last Online

02.04.19 @ 07:23 AM
    Liked 779 Times in 376 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by CalFB View Post
    Juszkiewicz is blaming it on the dealers

ďThere are problems with the guitar retail industry," he said. "All of the retailers are fearful as can be; they're all afraid of e-commerce, with Amazon just becoming the second largest employer in the U.S., and the brick and mortar guys are just panicking. They see the trend, and that trend isn't taking them to a good place, and they're all wondering if there will be a world for brick and mortar stores for much longer. Itís a turbulent world to be a retailer, and many of our retail partners are facing that same issue.Ē

He said Gibson has long protected their sales partners by refusing to have an online store, although he predicted that would almost certainly change. But he warned stores that theyíd have to up their game if they wanted to survive in the harsh climate. ďThe first thing we are doing is try to teach the stores how to merchandise,Ē he commented. ďIíve been arguing with retailers for a long time that you have to be a place where [customers] can sit and take in the store, and be a destination that is friendly. If you walk into most music stores, there's nowhere to sit. Give me a break! Most stores aren't comfortable places.
    I happen to be good friends with the local guitar shop owners here in Peoria. The problem with is with Gibson. They dictate to the dealers the amount of inventory they are to carry in their stores, and what type of inventory that is. They make the dealers take a bunch of un-sellable crap so they can get the guitars and gear they actually want. The dealers know what will sell and what won't in their stores, but Gibson makes them take a bunch of guitars that the dealer knows they won't sell. No amount of arguing with the dealers, or training them how to merchandise is going to make a customer come in looking for a reverse Flying V. The dealers have a choice, either they take what Gibson is pushing them to sell, or they aren't a dealer. Combine that with the fact that Gibson is giving online retailers and GC an unfair price advantage over the mom and pop shops, and it's just not an attractive product for a business to have in their store.
    "Having an opinion that people disagree with doesn't make you a Douche, arguing with the people who disagree with your opinion and calling them stupid does!" -Me.

13. The Following Member Likes This Post:

JPP

Eruption
    Favorite VH Album

Zero thru FW
    Favorite VH Song

One Sky Control Movies
    Last Online

02.18.19 @ 07:21 PM
    Liked 648 Times in 414 Posts

The nice, clean EC-

The not so clean EC-

Why behave in public...if you're livin' on a playground !

Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by turnbuckle View Post
    Gotta say the"nice, clean" aka 'From the Cradle'-era Clapton has got to be my favourite in terms of his playing, singing and presence. Looking like that Uncle who everybody 'knows' plays the guitar but never does for the Family, but then one Thanksgiving he busts out the old, relic 335 and starts fuckin' rippin, to everybody's amazement.

Some of the bootleg performances I've seen from the Nothing But the Blues Tour are direct progressions from his work and playing prowess on the Beano record. Always find it very moving and goosebump-inducing to watch. Him playing the tunes that are the sole reasons he exists as a player is always special to see.

16. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Too many to list...
    Last Online

Burstbuckers in it? Or Custom buckers?

I'm not partial to the big flames (unless its Pearly or Principle Skinner) but that sunburst is gorgeous.
    It came with Custombuckers, but I replaced them with Beast Buckers. The Custombuckers sounded great...really great, in fact...but I liked the Beast Buckers even better. I bought them with the hope that they really DID sound like the pickups in Bernie Marsden's "Beast" and they did. Bernie's "Beast" is without a doubt one of the best sounding '59's I've ever heard.