Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Van Halen
    Favorite VH Song

I'm the One
    Last Online

12.12.17 @ 03:44 AM
    Liked 1,126 Times in 617 Posts

Hurricane Party are from 2007. Long after grunge died.

Skin picked up traction 93-96. Lots of PR, TV appearances and media interest. Defying the myth that metal died overnight in 1991.

Also, on that subject for a mo, no one thought metal died. Everyone thought it was just temporarily uncool. The big bands were still big and everyone talked about music going in cycles. Hence you got metal films still being made in 93 and money thrown at the likes of Skin.

You're missing out with America not letting you hear Skin. I'd YT then if I were you and search for a copy that is allowed.
    Last edited by BlofeldsCat; 08.12.17 at 06:49 PM.

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Van Halen
    Favorite VH Song

I'm the One
    Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by ArtyBoy View Post
    I've determined that's what killed Hurricane Party.
    Please tell me this is your attempt at trolling/sarcasm.

Eruption
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 12:07 PM
    Liked 913 Times in 484 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by BlofeldsCat View Post
    Hurricane Party are from 2007. Long after grunge died.

Skin picked up traction 93-96. Lots of PR, TV appearances and media interest. Defying the myth that metal died overnight in 1991.
    You're in Australia, aren't you? I have to think the situation must've been very different down there. Even by 1989 or `90 I knew of very few people who shared my interest in bands like Led Zeppelin and Aerosmith, or even Van Halen. The guys who used to wear Motley Crue shirts were in Danzig and Megadeth shirts by 1988. The bands I recall being big in the later `80's and early `90's were Metallica, Danzig, RHCP, Bauhaus, Morrissey, The Cure. This was for people who still listened to bands, and weren't into techno like Nine Inch Nails' first album and Ministry.

I went to see Primus (a one word, one syllable name!) in 1990 and never felt more like I was in hell, but that was the beginning of people thinking a crunchy guitar was the cue to start beating the crap out of their fellow concert goers. If your band wasn't oddball as hell like Primus, you were considered old, uncreative and unoriginal.

I've seen Ratt saying they were suddenly doing half-house shows at arenas, and even those weren't full, and they were saying, "Where did the audience go?" Ratt actually played a sports bar here around `96, a place I once played; I mean a place so small there were dart boards and pool tables just a few feet from the stage!

Not grunge in particular, but Weezer, Radiohead, Juliana Hatfield, all that sort of stuff took over and has remained in charge around here ever since `93.

Eruption
    Last Online

Please tell me this is your attempt at trolling/sarcasm.
    Nope. That's an awful name.

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Van Halen
    Favorite VH Song

I'm the One
    Last Online

I shudder at your selective memory of the late 80s/early 90s.

Primus is two syllables.

Eruption
    Last Online

Primus is two syllables.
    Oops. Oh, yeah!

Eruption
    Last Online

You're missing out with America not letting you hear Skin. I'd YT then if I were you and search for a copy that is allowed.
    Ah, I found a Skin song that would play! Yep, perfectly enjoyable. Really like the singer's voice. But by 1993 in the United States, yep, I would say this wouldn't be "allowed."

A few nights ago I searched the Billboard Top 200 to confirm my memories, and it looked like around September of `94, I think it was, Def Leppard, Aerosmith and Ugly Kid Joe were on a downward slide, and Crash Test Dummies and Hootie and the Blowfish were on the way up. This was where I started turning loose and realizing I would indeed follow the path of my parents after they heard The Beatles, and would not understand any modern music by the time I was 25. (I saw Hootie and the Blowfish at a battle of the bands in 1990. Dullest thing I'd ever seen. Still can't believe they took off.)

Yo, bro! Gimme some SKIN!

Makes me think of "All Right Now" a bit.

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Van Halen
    Favorite VH Song

I'm the One
    Last Online

Nope. That's an awful name.
    I was referring to your (yet again) arrogance and obnoxiousness of passing judgement without knowing the facts. You don't know the band, don't know the history, didn't even get the decade right let alone the year and so you don't know any of the factors or even the climate they found themselves in yet you talk smugly nonetheless.

As for one name bands that made it:
    Tesla Rush, Bush, Metallica, Megadeth, Danzig, Scorpions, Rainbow, Helloween, Whitesnake, Queen, Extreme, Aerosmith, Boston, Nirvana, Journey, Heart, Eagles, Disturbed, Muse, Styx, Blondie, KISS, Foreigner, Motorhead, Sweet, Accept, Yes, Hole, Oasis, Radiohead, Tool, Ramones, Kansas, Dio, Slayer, Pantera, Coldplay, Poison, Santana, Toto, Krokus Soundgarden, Nelson, Stryper, Primus, Weezer, INXS, Chicago, Nazareth, Kix, Loverboy, Anthrax, Rammstein, Blondie, Blur, Slaughter, Queensryche, Testament, Cinderella, Ratt, Dokken, WASP.
    Last edited by BlofeldsCat; 08.12.17 at 07:46 PM.

9. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Eruption
    Last Online

I was referring to your (yet again) arrogance and obnoxiousness of passing judgement without knowing the facts.
    You don't know the band, don't know the history, didn't even get the decade right let alone the year and so you don't know any of the factors or even the climate they found themselves in yet you talk smugly nonetheless.
    Aww, boo hoo! Is the Cat crying? If you stick it in this thread, expect it to be judged! The "why" in the title indicates a request for analysis. A record company wouldn't give it as much of a listen as I did, and I bet 99.999% of the people on this forum won't even check it out. Be glad I listened and gave it any thought at all.

You can be a Cat, just don't be a pussy!

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

In A Simple Rhyme
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 10:05 PM
    Liked 705 Times in 386 Posts

But on the subject of names...Tesla was not originally called Tesla (another one word name...hmm...). They were called City Kid. Apparently Geffen told them City Kid was a stupid name and handed them a list of potential names, and that's where Tesla came from.

Peanuts was also not originally called Peanuts. Charles Schulz called it Lil' Folks. United Features Syndicate found where there had been a comic called Little Folks 20 years earlier and feared a lawsuit, so they gave Schulz a list of possible names, and he picked Peanuts. AND said he always regretted it, he hated the name. Indeed, I've very rarely heard anyone call it Peanuts, they call it Charlie Brown or Snoopy, but hindsight is 20/20.

The moral of the story being, if big record labels keep a secret file of kickass names, I wouldn't be above switching to a better idea.

I've determined that's what killed Hurricane Party. "Hey, you wanna go see this band Hurricane Party with me?" Uhhh...no.
    I know a local band who built a decent following under the band name FallRise. They met with a producer and a label in LA, and the label renamed the band Dark Signal. Made them change their sound, too.

Their attitude is "whatever it takes." They just want a career. "Fake it until you make it," one of the members told me. Probably why I never made it. So not my style.
    blah blah blah Devin Townsend blah blah blah

https://www.facebook.com/devintownsendexperience

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Van Halen
    Favorite VH Song

I'm the One
    Last Online

A few nights ago I searched the Billboard Top 200 to confirm my memories, and it looked like around September of `94, I think it was, Def Leppard, Aerosmith and Ugly Kid Joe were on a downward slide, and Crash Test Dummies and Hootie and the Blowfish were on the way up.
    I'm not going round and round on this again. Suffice it to say if you look for evidence to prove you right you will find it. Bands were getting dropped throughout metal's glory years but it doesn't mean metal was dying.

You said before that by 1988 rock was on its way out and with your peers moving on from the Crue and 'standard' metal to heavier bands - even though that was the peak time for metal and Crue, Warrant and Metallica all had their biggest albums in 1991. Def Leppard, who you mentioned, went triple platinum in the US in 1992. And Nirvana/grunge didn't come to the fore until 1992 - which, as I said in response, is when metal's downswing started and ran til about 1995 (you mentioned bands on a down turn in 94 - which ties in nicely with this time frame).

So far you've mentioned REM, Nirvana, Alice in Chains and now Hootie and Dummies as being signs that metal was dying. That's pop, grunge, alternative metal and lame dad-country rock-pop and no doubt you'll keep going, listing any band/genre that was doing well as metal faded. But that doesn't mean all, if any, were to blame. All they illustrate - as now in 2017 - that there is a diverse range of music and there's risers and fallers in each genre. At least there was a correlation with grunge and alternative - heavy music that appealed to, and lured away, traditional rock fans.

Neither REM, Crash Test Dummies and certainly not Hootie and the Blowfish (WTF America?) had any impact on metal. Just like the bands of the 'new' music called heavy metal didn't steal Barry Manilow's fans in the early 80s.

In the previous htread you said metal was dead by 91

Eruption
    Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by Wildman View Post
    Their attitude is "whatever it takes." They just want a career. "Fake it until you make it," one of the members told me. Probably why I never made it. So not my style.
    It takes the magic out of it, but listen to Bon Scott's band Fraternity, before AC/DC. Sounds a lot like Traffic, and his friends say that's the kind of music that was really closest to his heart. He was capable of sounding a lot like Steve Winwood.

Also listen to all the pre-Zeppelin Robert Plant stuff that's on YouTube. He was doing everything from Tom Jones type music to old blues. Led Zeppelin really only showed one side of what he was capable of.

The Black Crowes are from my area. When they hit MTV, I ran into a couple of people who had gone to high school with them. They claimed Chris Robinson had worshiped Michael Stipe, and their demos sounded like R.E.M. Then a guy from Geffen heard them play "No More, No More" by Aerosmith (R.E.M. had also covered Aerosmith) while they were in New York and he told them to do more songs like that.

I found that almost unbelievable until I saw clips like this on YouTube:

Eruption
    Last Online

In the previous htread you said metal was dead by 91
    I said the cracks were showing. This is the part you keep missing. It wasn't an overnight thing. You could see the t-shirts and haircuts were changing.

Favorite VH Album

Alex, Dave, Ed and Mike
    Favorite VH Song

The songs with Ed on them
    Last Online

12.12.17 @ 06:26 AM
    Liked 18,093 Times in 8,939 Posts

For me it changed the minute I walked onto a college campus in the fall of 1988.

Everything in my life went from Metallica and Iron Maiden to REM and the Violent Femmes. I was thinking "what the fuck kind of music do you people listen to? This shit sucks!"
    Taylor Swift is nice to look at. Adele can sing.

Emperor Brett - "I can't believe you guys are analyzing song-by-song Van Halen III? What next, analyzing the script of Stroker Ace looking for some shred of Citizen Kane?"

David Lee Roth did the impossible. He made Van Halen better. Deal with it!

Preferred pronouns: he/him/his

Hurricane Halen - Let's all gingery touch our sword tips!!!

DONATE TO THE LINKS YA CHEAP BASTARDS!!!!

16. The Following 2 Members Like This Post:

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Van Halen
    Favorite VH Song

I'm the One
    Last Online

Aww, boo hoo! Is the Cat crying?
    LOL. Calmly pointing out your MO is not crying.

[quote]If you stick it in this thread, expect it to be judged! [/qoute]
    Ditto. As per the host of one-name successful bands I listed in response to your mega-retarded analysis on band names/band success.
    And why I called you out (yet again) on your fucked up thinking and obnoxiousness.

The "why" in the title indicates a request for analysis.
    Taking wild stabs in the dark to support a hunch you have no reason to have (and which history has proved to be bullshit) is not analysis.

Making blind reads on a band and the then-musical climate whilst being out by almost 2 decades is not analysis.

As with your comments in the Circus thread, and what type of man women are into, you're randomly, and without foundation, blurting out what you want to see.

A record company wouldn't give it as much of a listen as I did
    Good job this isn't a website for pushing new music.
    Especially as the music I posted is not new.
    And has already been released.

I bet 99.999% of the people on this forum won't even check it out.
    Considering there's thousands of members, that's a stat that will be accurate for any thread ever.
    It also holds true for the shite you posted.
    More to the point, I don't care.

Be glad I listened and gave it any thought at all.
    And there's that smugness and obnoxiousness again. Right there. Remember that next time you're being exposed for mega-retardedness. You're a cock, I give you zero respect and credit. You're a buffoon and I'm embarrassed for

I also didn't post the content for you and was quite bemused that you deigned your opinion worthy enough to even pass comment

You can be a Cat, just don't be a pussy!
    Come over here and see how much of a pussy I am.
    Last edited by BlofeldsCat; 08.12.17 at 08:13 PM.