Register
Save
Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst ... 3456789 ... LastLast
    Last Online

09.21.17 @ 07:54 PM
    Liked 714 Times in 333 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jedi McFly View Post
    Personally, here's how I see it:

The Peavey Wolfgangs were awesome guitars of super consistent quality.

The EVH Wolfgangs are spec'd better than the Peaveys (IMO), but quality control is not as consistent.

The compound radius, neck shape, stainless or jumbo frets, and the pickups are better on the EVH guitars. But the finish, tops, and feel of the Peaveys are usually better.

For me it comes down to the specs - if you prefer hotter pickups and a flatter radius then definitely go Peavey. If you prefer more balanced pickups, compound radius, and either stainless vintage frets (on USA models) or straight up jumbo frets (imports) then take the time to find an EVH that plays well for you.

Sincerely - the owner of a Peavey Wolfgang Standard, MIM Wolfgang Special, and formerly a MIJ Wolfgang Special and several other Peavey Wolfgangs
    I agree with all this. Spot on. I generally tend to gravitate toward the Peavey Wolfgang, but I currently own a MIM Special. Pickups don't really matter to me, because I usually swap the bridge pickup out to a Custom Custom anyway.

I should probably just go back to a Peavey anyway, since all the mods I did to my MIM basically turned it into a Peavey. I liked the Jumbo frets of the MIM Special (like Peavey), I swapped out the black EVH tuners for Chrome Schaller M6 mini tuners (like Peavey), I replaced the black EVH Floyd for a chrome GOTOH (like Peavey) Other than the neck shape and headstock, it's really not much different than the Peavey version in looks and playability.

I would be very interested in getting one of these HP2 guitars, and throwing a Perpetual Burn pickup in the bridge position.

One thing that these HP2s are going to be good for buyers, and bad for owners of Peavey Wolfgangs. As soon as these were announced, the prices one could ask for Peavey Wolfgangs dramatically dropped. Great for guys like me, terrible for guys who bought like 10 Wolfgangs as an investment to sell later at maximum profit.
    "Having an opinion that people disagree with doesn't make you a Douche, arguing with the people who disagree with your opinion and calling them stupid does!" -Me.

2. The Following 2 Members Like This Post:

Romeo Delight
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Dirty Movies
    Last Online

09.23.17 @ 05:38 PM
    Liked 35 Times in 13 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by nobozos View Post
    I replaced the black EVH Floyd for a chrome GOTOH (like Peavey)
    Actually the Peavey Wolfgangs had a licensed floyd made by Ping (in Korea). The Music Man EVH had Gotoh floyds.

4. The Following 3 Members Like This Post:

Eruption
    Favorite VH Album

VHII
    Favorite VH Song

Light up the Sky
    Last Online

09.03.17 @ 03:21 PM
    Liked 167 Times in 85 Posts

Another vid I found on YT

I might have to get one of these. I like the blue one!
    ~ I like the way the line runs up the back of her stockings ~

Whoa, this is heavy! Jedi McFly's Avatar
    Last Online

09.24.17 @ 10:50 AM
    Liked 2,695 Times in 1,016 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

The knocked it out of the park with that ocean blue fade. Everybody loves it. My wife even told me I should save for one haha

7. The Following 5 Members Like This Post:

Little Dreamer
    Last Online

07.28.17 @ 03:40 PM
    Liked 19 Times in 11 Posts

Watching the first video from Premier Guitar... maybe I'm overanalyzing it, but it really felt like the Peavey employees had sat with their attorneys and said "How close can we get to saying **** *** to Van Halen, without actually saying it?" lol.

If this guitar had been released last year, I probably would have splurged and bought it instead of my EVH Wolfgang Special (MIM). I like the Wolfgang a lot, but I don't love it. These HP2s are better looking guitars (to my eyes) and I'd prefer the flatter radius neck. Don't get me wrong, I enjoy playing my Wolfgang, but I only own three electrics, and if I had a time machine, I'd probably have gone back in time, stopped myself from buying my EVH, and waited for one of these instead. It also seems like better value for money than the USA Wolfgang. I'll be eager to play one of these and see if it lives up to my expectations.

9. The Following 2 Members Like This Post:

Last Online

09.20.17 @ 05:24 AM
    Liked 691 Times in 270 Posts

I'm a 3 guitar guy as well. I don't foresee getting rid of my vintage white EVH Special MIJ for a Peavey. They actually look TOO nice. I prefer beater guitars that I can throw into the rafters at the end of our set and not be heartbroken if I drop it (which I never have!)

It also is a pretty big FUCK YOU to Ed, and just doesn't seem right to me. Plus they are now building their 6505 line in China and charging almost as much as they did for the USA made ones. Doesn't seem right either. Peavey has tried so many stupid guitars and they all fail. Powerslide, tombstone, Self tuning guitar... All colossal failures. So they go back to the one successful design. Which wasn't even realty theirs. Ill stick with EVH. HP 2 is a stupid name too IMO. At least be somewhat creative.
    Last edited by EJC; 07.16.17 at 06:03 PM.

11. The Following 2 Members Like This Post:

Last Online

08.18.17 @ 03:23 AM
    Liked 21 Times in 14 Posts

I don't know. The whole EVH line kinda rubbed me wrong from the start. Ed and his yes men were just sooo arrogant in those interviews. "This is the greatest (insert guitar or amp here) ever- I couldn't do what I do without it." It's like, ok so 20 years ago when you used to actually make records you somehow managed. And you said the same shit about the last 3 companies you were with. Then the only interviews he'd give was only to pimp his gear and wouldn't address any 'elephant in the room' issues about his band. When I'd read those, I'd just be thinking, I don't give a shit about 5-ply binding, just make some damn music!

Atomic Punk Get The Show On The Road's Avatar
    Favorite VH Album

Van Halen
    Favorite VH Song

I'm The One
    Last Online

09.24.17 @ 11:25 AM
    Liked 9,876 Times in 5,200 Posts

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jedi McFly View Post
    The knocked it out of the park with that ocean blue fade. Everybody loves it. My wife even told me I should save for one haha
    You've been given permission.

Make sure you have it in writing!
    I don't always listen to hard rock, but when I do, I prefer Van Halen. Stay Frosty my friends.

14. The Following 3 Members Like This Post:

Last Online

09.23.17 @ 08:10 PM
    Liked 6,940 Times in 3,619 Posts

Peavey should call it the "Lone Wolf."

HALF THE MONEY, ALL OF THE BITE!

With a searing tone that positively bites, the Lone Wolf
    leads the pack of handmade, hard rockin' guitars.

A crunch machine with the proper BALANCE, from high gain to sweet sustain,
    the HP is better than any guitar named after a Bass player!

16. The Following 5 Members Like This Post:

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

09.24.17 @ 11:17 AM
    Liked 10,833 Times in 4,585 Posts

Default Looks like Peavey is making some version of the Wolfgang again.

I'm just not a fan of the EVH line or the arrogance about it. The ones I've tried to like I can't even force myself to, I don't like the necks and I just think the finish is cheap. I know a lot of you guys are huge fans but honestly how many of you would really play the new EVH guitars if they weren't attached to Ed? I just think a lot of these guys running around online jerking off over them are just shills because of endorsements, it's kind of obnoxious actually. I have no allegiance to buying things just because they have Ed's name on them if there are better alternatives. And for me there are just far better and cheaper alternatives than the Fender EVH Wolfgangs.

Again I'm not attacking you guys who truly like them, but the arrogant gloating over them by dudes on the payroll who want to keep getting free shit by sucking up to Ed just bugs me. The line and the way it's promoted really rubs me the wrong way that's all.

I know this post comes off as really negative but I don't really mean it at all towards you guys on here, it's a just vibe I get outside of here and the fact that some of the instruments I have played didn't warrant the price.

Now the EVH pedals from Dunlop. Those are a different story.
    Webmaster
    VHLinks.com - Your Van Halen Internet Resource Guide
    http://www.vhlinks.com

JamToThis.com
    Audio/Video Trading Community
    Tons of Van Halen!

18. The Following 3 Members Like This Post:

Eruption
    Favorite VH Album

For Unlawful Carnal Knowledge
    Favorite VH Song

Mine All Mine
    Last Online

09.24.17 @ 10:03 AM
    Liked 841 Times in 445 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Brett View Post
    I'm just not a fan of the EVH line or the arrogance about it. The ones I've tried to like I can't even force myself to, I don't like the necks and I just think the finish is cheap. I know a lot of you guys are huge fans but honestly how many of you would really play the new EVH guitars if they weren't attached to Ed? I just think a lot of these guys running around online jerking off over them are just shills because of endorsements, it's kind of obnoxious actually. I have no allegiance to buying things just because they have Ed's name on them if there are better alternatives. And for me there are just far better and cheaper alternatives than the Fender EVH Wolfgangs.

Again I'm not attacking you guys who truly like them, but the arrogant gloating over them by dudes on the payroll who want to keep getting free shit by sucking up to Ed just bugs me. The line and the way it's promoted really rubs me the wrong way that's all.

I know this post comes off as really negative but I don't really mean it at all towards you guys on here, it's a just vibe I get outside of here and the fact that some of the instruments I have played didn't warrant the price.

Now the EVH pedals from Dunlop. Those are a different story.
    I hope I'm not included in that. I don't own a single STOCK EVH Wolfgang, closest is probably my stealth. Their stock options just aren't good enough for me, so I have to mix and match. The hardware and wood is great in my opinion though. I just change fretboard, paint finishes, etc. I have seven Wolfgangs right now. Three of the signature paint finishes that were done at home, a black stoptail, in progress white single coil, and my tobacco/ebony wolf.
    I'd probably still play them if they weren't attached to Ed. It's still a hybrid of a strat/Paul to me, and the amps sound great (despite mine giving me an issue every now and then).

I have no business relationship with EVH, for the record

Hot For Teacher
    Favorite VH Album

All of them
    Favorite VH Song

DTNA, 5150
    Last Online

09.24.17 @ 02:38 AM
    Liked 113 Times in 74 Posts

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by RRvh1 View Post
    If only Sterling Ball would revamp his exceptional EVH signature model...
    Isn't that the Axis?
    It's 5150 time!

Last Online

09.24.17 @ 09:13 AM
    Liked 1,007 Times in 525 Posts

Premium Member

I am not a master or tinker like many of the guys around here but I feel like the guitar line is progressively gotten worse. I owned a USA hard tail Peavey Wolfgang in the early 2000's. Played great, felt good but I felt like there were much better options for the price range. I'd sum it up as , "meh".

Any of the Fenders I've messed with all feel cheap (haven't even seen an American made one yet). Almost like quality was a forethought. The fact that I've seen many say that after you tweek the Fenders, it's a great guitar. I'm not gonna buy a guitar knowing I'm gonna have to tweek it to get it in it's prime. I'm willing to spend a little more to get the better package but I shouldn't have to do surgery after getting it out of the box outside of the initial set up. Now one of the biggest things that bug me is I'm not going to spend a grand on a guitar built in china with a maple veneer top. I probably sound like a purist but I think that is dumb.

Now the EVH Music Mans are amazing in every aspect. I've played on 2 of the actual EVH and one Axis and I can't help but feel, that is how all Wolfgangs should feel and sound. I'd sell a kidney for a Music Man.

Seems like the rate it's going, Ed and Esteban can sell guitars on the home shopping network in 15 years

Just my .02 cents.
    Last edited by VanZeppelin667; 07.17.17 at 05:39 AM.

22. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Last Online

09.20.17 @ 05:24 AM
    Liked 691 Times in 270 Posts

I guess I'm not really up on who is endorsing EVH shit lately. I got my MIJ in a trade deal so I probably spent less than $600 out of pocket on it. Its not the greatest guitar I ever played, but its def a good working mans guitar that I don't have to worry about fucking it up or getting stolen. Has an Ed vibe without being over the top. And yeah my Peavey Wolfgang Standard that I sold like an idiot, was probably a better guitar. Damn I miss that thing. I've never played a USA EVH so I can't really speak for the quality. I think guitar building tech has come a long way, so any guitar over a street price of $500 should not have ANY issues in my opinion. After that price point, its just aesthetics and options. I'm always amazed when I get catalogs and see Les Pauls for like $3000 and up. Strats over $2000. Its gotta be collectors who drop that kind of coin on a guitar. All my guitar gear combined doesn't equal $2000.
    ~E

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Mean Street
    Last Online

09.22.17 @ 12:48 PM
    Liked 695 Times in 373 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by EJC View Post
    I guess I'm not really up on who is endorsing EVH shit lately. I got my MIJ in a trade deal so I probably spent less than $600 out of pocket on it. Its not the greatest guitar I ever played, but its def a good working mans guitar that I don't have to worry about fucking it up or getting stolen. Has an Ed vibe without being over the top. And yeah my Peavey Wolfgang Standard that I sold like an idiot, was probably a better guitar. Damn I miss that thing. I've never played a USA EVH so I can't really speak for the quality. I think guitar building tech has come a long way, so any guitar over a street price of $500 should not have ANY issues in my opinion. After that price point, its just aesthetics and options. I'm always amazed when I get catalogs and see Les Pauls for like $3000 and up. Strats over $2000. Its gotta be collectors who drop that kind of coin on a guitar. All my guitar gear combined doesn't equal $2000.
    ~E
    Same here, basically. I bought a MIJ Wolfgang for $632. It's a solid playing guitar. I also have a USA Peavey Special, which is a more solid feeling guitar. But the MIJ has a bird's eye maple neck and a really nice finish. They are both great guitars, in my opinion, and play as well as any other guitar I've played in that $1,000 to $1,200 price range. In fact, I've played $2,000 Les Pauls at Guitar Center that didn't play as well.

I would not have paid full price for a MIJ Wolfgang. I admit I may not have the eye for quality that some on this site have. But I don't regret paying what I did, and, frankly, I love it.

TK

25. The Following Member Likes This Post: