Favorite VH Song

The songs with Ed on them
    Last Online

08.17.19 @ 11:44 AM
    Liked 25,996 Times in 13,118 Posts

Premium Member

I believe in public accommodation.

This isn't it.

Go get someone else to bake your cocksucking cake.
    If I don't respond to you it means I have you on ignore, which means you are a douchenozzle.

Emperor Brett - "I can't believe you guys are analyzing song-by-song Van Halen III? What next, analyzing the script of Stroker Ace looking for some shred of Citizen Kane?"

David Lee Roth did the impossible. He made Van Halen better. Deal with it!

A man's rights rests in three boxes: the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box

Hurricane Halen - Let's all gingery touch our sword tips!!!

2. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Atomic Punk
    Last Online

08.17.19 @ 03:14 PM
    Liked 4,444 Times in 2,680 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Get The Show On The Road View Post
    This right here is the damning evidence:

The judge noted that the Colorado Civil Rights Commission extended protections to three bakers who declined to produce cakes bearing anti-gay messages, reasoning that those bakers do not have to relay messages with which they disagree.

Disband this bullshit "civil rights commission." They obviously have a problem with upholding the same standards for everyone.
    There is a distinction here, and it's why SCOTUS keeps punting on this. Putting an explicit message on a cake, like a swastika or a bible verse or something anti-gay is inarguably speech.

Where there is a question is whether or not a wedding cake in and of itself is speech and if it is, at what point it is. I have a broad view of speech and think any specially made cake could be considered a form of speech, especially for a specific ceremony or event. But not everyone sees it that way, and I don't think SCOTUS really wants to get in the weeds on something this dumb.

Favorite VH Album

Alex, Dave, Ed and Mike
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Premium Member

It's a cake. It isn't a bare essentials of life requirement. If I went into a bakery, and they said "I don't serve white people", I wouldn't like it, but I would just go to another baker.

Why would you want someone to profit off of your business that obviously doesn't like you? Makes no sense. Wouldn't they rather their money go to someone that is more sympathetic to their world view?
    If I don't respond to you it means I have you on ignore, which means you are a douchenozzle.

Emperor Brett - "I can't believe you guys are analyzing song-by-song Van Halen III? What next, analyzing the script of Stroker Ace looking for some shred of Citizen Kane?"

A man's rights rests in three boxes: the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box

Atomic Punk
    Last Online

And this is where the Republican Party's messaging has been a complete failure.

Instead of taking this up purely as a religious issue, they could've used the opportunity to show that they believe in public accommodations, but those have to be balanced against the rights of others.

"Public accommodations were a vital and important aspect of the 1964 Civil Rights Act. It was a very real possibility that a traveling, minority family could find themselves denied, gasoline, a room to sleep, or a meal to eat. That no one along their route would serve them. We have made great strides in the decades since then, but there are still struggles, so these safeguards stay in place.

Public accommodations are in place to prevent a situation where no one would provide to a particular group services deemed essential. In Colorado, the free market has produced what no government law or mandate ever could. Masterpiece Bakery is surrounded by at least 90 other, quality bakeries that would openly and gladly create a special wedding cake for a same sex couple. The marketplace has shown public accommodation protections to be unnecessary in this case, at least for now.

Besides, perhaps it's an insult to the history of denial of essential services to minorities to consider a specially made wedding cake an essential service."

That's way better than "Religious freedom!"

6. The Following 3 Members Like This Post:

Favorite VH Album

Alex, Dave, Ed and Mike
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Premium Member

Yep.

8. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Favorite VH Album

The Magnificent 7
    Last Online

08.17.19 @ 04:28 PM
    Liked 17,677 Times in 10,025 Posts

Premium Member

MASTERPIECE CAKESHOP AND COLORADO CALL TRUCE IN HARASSMENT, DISCRIMINATION DISPUTE

03/05/2019

Christian baker Jack Phillips and the Colorado Civil Rights Commission (CCRC) have resolved a legal dispute that set Phillips’ religious beliefs against the state’s public accommodations law.

The deal, announced Tuesday afternoon, provides that the Commission will close an ongoing anti-discrimination probe of Phillips’s Masterpiece Cakeshop if Phillips withdraws a federal lawsuit alleging state officials were subjecting him to a concerted campaign of harassment.

“After careful consideration of the facts, both sides agreed it was not in anyone’s best interest to move forward with these cases,” Colorado Attorney General Phil Weiser said in a statement. “The larger constitutional issues might well be decided down the road, but these cases will not be the vehicle for resolving them.”

The Supreme Court found that the Commission’s first action against Phillips was infected with anti-religious animus. The June 2018 judgment was 7-2. The case arose when Phillips refused to create a custom wedding cake for a gay couple, Charlie Craig and David Mullins.

The Court did not decide whether business owners can claim a religious exemption to public accommodations laws, a provocative question that remains unresolved.

The state issued a second probable cause finding against Phillips three weeks after the high court’s ruling. In that instance, a prospective customer called Autumn Scardina filed a complaint after Phillips declined to create a cake celebrating a gender transition, consistent with his beliefs about the immutability of sex.

Phillips believes Scardina made other requests for custom baked goods, including cakes featuring dildos and images of the occult.

In turn, Phillips sued nine state officials, alleging a number of constitutional violations. His lawsuit argued the CCRC was enabling harassment of his business by pursuing complaints from possible bad faith actors. (RELATED: Kavanaugh Laments ‘Pure Discrimination’ As Supreme Court Denied Church Bid For Historic Preservations Funds)

“We hope that the state is done going along with obvious efforts to harass Jack,” said the Alliance Defending Freedom’s (ADF) Jim Campbell, who represents Phillips. “He shouldn’t be driven out of business just because some people disagree with his religious beliefs and his desire to live consistently with them.”

Though the state’s case is now closed, the Colorado AG says Scardina can still file a lawsuit against Phillips. Both sides will pay their own attorney’s fees.

ADF said their case was strengthened when they found evidence that the CCRC failed to heed the Supreme Court’s 2018 decision. Writing for the majority, Justice Anthony Kennedy condemned Commissioner Diann Rice for comparing Phillips’s stated religious objections to defenses of slavery and the holocaust.

At a commission meeting shortly following the Court’s decision, Commissioners Rita Lewis and Carol Fabrizio expressed support for Rice and her sentiments. ADF only recently became aware of those statements. Lewis and Fabrizio still sit on the Commission.

The CCRC ratified the state’s agreement with Masterpiece Cakeshop by unanimous vote Tuesday morning.

One Colorado, an advocacy group for LGBT rights, noted the agreement does not affect enforcement of Colorado’s public accommodations law.

“Despite the mutual agreement between the State of Colorado and Masterpiece Cakeshop, the law is still the law. No matter who you are, who you love, or what you believe, Coloradans across our state — including LGBTQ Coloradans and their families — are still protected under Colorado law from discrimination in the areas of employment, housing, and public accommodations,” said executive director Daniel Ramos.

https://www.dailycaller.com/2019/03/...iece-colorado/
     "He has a swaggering retro machismo that will give hives to the Steinem cabal" -Camille Paglia on Donald Trump

"But, fucking with Brook is like fucking with hot shit on and ax handle. You just don't get a grip"-track5

"Make way for the bad guy"- Tony Montana

'This hamburger don't need no helper"- David Lee Roth

"I wish Bon Jovi would've given me a call before he recorded all of his hits, because the lyrics would've been smarter, the melodies would've been much more smashing, and they would've sold a lot fewer records." -David Lee Roth

"My beef is people thinking Bon Jovi is good cuz they sold lots of records to housewives." -tango

"But being number one doesn’t really mean jack fuck all. We sold twice as many records as other records that year (1984) that landed in the Number One position." ~Eddie Van Halen

Atomic Punk
    Last Online

What people keep missing in these lawsuits, including this one that Phillips and CO were fighting over recently, is that cakes that carry a specific message can be refused by the bakers. This trans cake was a no-brainer.

The issue is whether a decorative cake made for a wedding carries enough of a message for it to qualify as speech. This is why SCOTUS has punted. It doesn't want to draw that line if it doesn't have to.

The idea that public accommodations might mean people have a "right" to a cake just shows that we've lost sight of the original reason a narrow public accommodations law was included in the Civil Rights Act.

11. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Atomic Punk Get The Show On The Road's Avatar
    Favorite VH Album

Van Halen
    Favorite VH Song

I'm The One
    Last Online

08.17.19 @ 04:32 PM
    Liked 16,069 Times in 8,442 Posts

Premium Member

So they had a segment about Jack on the news tonight.

He once again reiterated that he would make a cake for anyone who walks in his store, what he won't do is make a cake with a message that he feels goes against his beliefs and faith.

He is not discriminating against anyone. If I operated a bake shop I would run it the same way. No one should be expected to produce a product that they find offensive. Otherwise people would be forced to make all sorts of things with messages or things they find offensive.

This guy has been harrassed and demonized for doing absolutely nothing wrong, and by the State government to boot.

What a bunch of bullshit.
    The only genre I really know is Van Halen.

13. The Following 2 Members Like This Post:

Favorite VH Album

The Magnificent 7
    Last Online

Premium Member

Colorado Christian cakeshop sued a third time for discrimination

Caleb Parke 3 hours ago

The owner of Masterpiece Cakeshop -- which won a case before the U.S. Supreme Court recently -- was sued for a third time this week.

Jack Phillips, the Lakewood, Colo. bakery owner who has refused to bake cakes that violate his Christian faith, is being sued again by Autumn Scardina, a transgender woman, for refusing to bake a gender transition cake.

Scardina claims it is textbook LGBT discrimination. But Phillips said she is rehashing old claims that hold no merit.

Phillips describes himself as an artist who uses cakes as "canvas" to express ideas and celebrate events. He has insisted he doesn't want to do something that goes against his faith. He said the cases against him have directly affected his family and business and he's faced death threats and harassment.

The Supreme Court ruled in favor of Phillips last year in a case where he refused to bake a cake for a same-sex wedding. The high court ruled the Colorado Civil Rights Commission showed "anti-religious bias" when it filed a discrimination charge against Phillips.

The commission then filed another complaint against Phillips after he refused to make Scardina a cake celebrating a gender transition. He, in turn, sued the state claiming he was being singled out for his religious beliefs.

The Commission and Phillips agreed to drop their cases in March after discovery showed "anti-religious hostility" from the state toward the family-run bakery.

Scardina decided to pursue separate litigation, which attorneys filed Wednesday in district court.

“The dignity of all citizens in our state needs to be honored. Masterpiece Cakeshop said before the Supreme Court they would serve any baked good to members of the LGBTQ community. It was just the religious significance of it being a wedding cake,” Paula Griesen, one of the attorneys representing Scardina, told the local CBS station. “We don’t believe they’ve been honest with the public.”

Scardina claims Phillips violated Colorado's Anti-Discrimination Act and Consumer Protection Act for refusing to bake a "birthday cake" celebrating the plaintiff's gender transition, which was to be blue on the outside and pink on the inside, symbolizing a transition from male to female.

Jim Cambell, senior counsel for Alliance Defending Freedom, which has represented Phillips in the other cases, called it further harassment rehashing old claims.

"So this latest attack by Scardina looks like yet another desperate attempt to harass cake artist Jack Phillips," Cambell said. "And it stumbles over the one detail that matters most: Jack serves everyone; he just cannot express all messages through his custom cakes.”

https://www.foxnews.com/us/colorado-...discrimination
     "He has a swaggering retro machismo that will give hives to the Steinem cabal" -Camille Paglia on Donald Trump

"But, fucking with Brook is like fucking with hot shit on and ax handle. You just don't get a grip"-track5

"I wish Bon Jovi would've given me a call before he recorded all of his hits, because the lyrics would've been smarter, the melodies would've been much more smashing, and they would've sold a lot fewer records." -David Lee Roth

"My beef is people thinking Bon Jovi is good cuz they sold lots of records to housewives." -tango

"But being number one doesn’t really mean jack fuck all. We sold twice as many records as other records that year (1984) that landed in the Number One position." ~Eddie Van Halen

Favorite VH Album

like them all, no favourite
    Last Online

08.17.19 @ 04:22 PM
    Liked 11,335 Times in 6,337 Posts

Does there come a point where this guy can counter sue and bankrupt these people who are clearly just trying to put him out of business via the courts?

Favorite VH Album

The Magnificent 7
    Last Online

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by It's Mike View Post
    Does there come a point where this guy can counter sue and bankrupt these people who are clearly just trying to put him out of business via the courts?
    Yes. It would be better if the Supreme Court just gave a firm ruling to cut this crap out.

17. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Me Wise Magic & Summer Nights
    Last Online

08.15.19 @ 06:46 PM
    Liked 312 Times in 172 Posts

Is there a "no double jeapordy" clause that could be applied to this case?
    "If only Eddie, Alex and Wolfgang had as much enthusiasm about Van Halen as Dave, Sammy and Mike do … " - I Coulda Hada VH

"I don't think he owes us, and I think few if any do. What we would like is for him to release music, since he is our favorite musician. It's a wish and a hope, not a critique." - Dave's Dreidel

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Constantly Changes
    Last Online

08.17.19 @ 05:35 AM
    Liked 929 Times in 532 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by NDL View Post
    Is there a "no double jeapordy" clause that could be applied to this case?
    Only applies to criminal cases.
    "Always hopeful, yet discontent,
    He knows changes aren't permanent
    But change is!"

Favorite VH Album

The Magnificent 7
    Last Online

Premium Member

Supreme Court tosses ruling against bakers who refused cake for gay couple

Ronn Blitzer 2 hours ago

The Supreme Court on Monday threw out a ruling against two Oregon bakers who refused to bake a wedding cake for a lesbian couple.

The couple, Melissa and Aaron Klein, cited religious beliefs as their reason for not providing services for a gay wedding. This touched off the latest in a series of such cases making headlines in recent years. During the court's last term, justices ruled in favor of a Colorado baker in a similar situation, stating that a state body demonstrated improper hostility toward the baker's religion in finding that he violated a state anti-discrimination law.

On Monday, the Supreme Court sent the Klein case back down to a lower court "for further consideration in light of" their Colorado decision.

The central disputes in the case -- which pits LGBT rights against religious freedom considerations -- have yet to be addressed by the Supreme Court.

A similar case involving Washington state florist Baronelle Stutzman previously was sent back so the state court could review its decision against Stutzman in light of the Colorado case. The Washington court upheld its decision, and the case is expected to go back before the Supreme Court once more.

The Kleins' case arose when Rachel Bowman-Cryer went to them in January 2013 to see about a wedding cake. When Aaron Klein asked for information, including the name of the groom, she told him there was none. Klein then said the bakery does not make cakes for gay weddings, court documents said.

Bowman-Cryer's mother, who was with her, said Klein quoted the Bible when explaining his decision.

The Kleins had to pay a $135,000 judgment to the couple for discriminating against them in violation of a state public accommodations statute. They ended up closing down their bakery.

The couple is represented by First Liberty, who celebrated the Supreme Court's decision as a win.

"This is a victory for Aaron and Melissa Klein and for religious liberty for all Americans," First Liberty president Kelly Shackelford said in a statement. "The Constitution protects speech, popular or not, from condemnation by the government. The message from the Court is clear, government hostility toward religious Americans will not be tolerated."

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/sup...for-gay-couple

Atomic Punk Get The Show On The Road's Avatar
    Favorite VH Album

Van Halen
    Favorite VH Song

I'm The One
    Last Online

08.17.19 @ 04:32 PM
    Liked 16,069 Times in 8,442 Posts

Premium Member

https://www.washingtontimes.com/news...rt-dismiss-tr/

If this was really about a fucking cake then this woman or man or whatever it is could have gone to Wal-Mart, or Target, or the grocery store to get a cake that was blue on the outside and pink on the inside and I guarantee there would have been no questions asked.

Instead somehow out of all the places a cake could be purchased in the Denver metro area, it happens to be this particular baker's shop.

The complaint ought to be tossed and the Plaintiff ought to be fined for harassment.

This shit needs to stop.
    The only genre I really know is Van Halen.