The Magnificent 7
    Last Online

10.18.19 @ 04:32 AM
    Liked 18,407 Times in 10,495 Posts

Premium Member

Wow

Shane Gillis Fired from ‘Saturday Night Live’ After Old Jokes Surface

David Ng 16 Sep 2019

His departure comes just fours days after Saturday Night Live announced that Gillis was joining the cast for the show’s new season, set to start Sept. 28.

“After talking with Shane Gillis, we have decided that he will not be joining SNL,” a show spokesperson said on behalf of producer Lorne Michaels, in a statement.

“We want SNL to have a variety of voices and points of view within the show, and we hired Shane on the strength of his talent as comedian and his impressive audition for SNL. We were not aware of his prior remarks that have surfaced over the past few days. The language he used is offensive, hurtful and unacceptable. We are sorry that we did not see these clips earlier, and that our vetting process was not up to our standard.”

Gillis was fired despite issuing an apology last week.

“I’m a comedian who pushed boundaries. I sometimes miss,” Gillis said. “If you go through my 10 years of comedy, most of it bad, you’re going to find a lot of bad misses. I’m happy to apologize to anyone who’s actually offended by anything I’ve said. My intention is never to hurt anyone, but I am trying to be the best comedian I can be and sometimes hat requires risks.”

The media backlash against Gillis began almost immediately after Saturday Night Live announced that he was joining the cast.

A video clip from Gillis’ Matt and Shane’s Secret Podcast resurfaced in which the comedian is heard talking about New York’s Chinatown.

“Let the fucking ch-nks live there,” Gillis said, adding that a restaurant was “full of fucking Chinee [sic] in there.”

The podcast series also featured Gillis using the words “retard” and “faggot.”

Despite numerous calls for him to be fired, Gillis found one defender — Democratic presidential candidate Andrew Yang.

“For the record, I don’t think he should lose his job,” Yang tweeted. “We would benefit from being more forgiving than punitive. We are all human.”

https://www.breitbart.com/entertainm...jokes-surface/

The left is destroying comedy.
     "He has a swaggering retro machismo that will give hives to the Steinem cabal" -Camille Paglia on Donald Trump

"But, fucking with Brook is like fucking with hot shit on and ax handle. You just don't get a grip"-track5

"Make way for the bad guy"- Tony Montana

'This hamburger don't need no helper"- David Lee Roth

"I wish Bon Jovi would've given me a call before he recorded all of his hits, because the lyrics would've been smarter, the melodies would've been much more smashing, and they would've sold a lot fewer records." -David Lee Roth

"My beef is people thinking Bon Jovi is good cuz they sold lots of records to housewives." -tango

"But being number one doesn’t really mean jack fuck all. We sold twice as many records as other records that year (1984) that landed in the Number One position." ~Eddie Van Halen

Atomic Punk
    Last Online

10.17.19 @ 09:49 PM
    Liked 2,273 Times in 1,542 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by bklynboy68 View Post
    Wow

David Ng 16 Sep 2019

His departure comes just fours days after Saturday Night Live announced that Gillis was joining the cast for the show’s new season, set to start Sept. 28.

“After talking with Shane Gillis, we have decided that he will not be joining SNL,” a show spokesperson said on behalf of producer Lorne Michaels, in a statement.

“We want SNL to have a variety of voices and points of view within the show, and we hired Shane on the strength of his talent as comedian and his impressive audition for SNL. We were not aware of his prior remarks that have surfaced over the past few days. The language he used is offensive, hurtful and unacceptable. We are sorry that we did not see these clips earlier, and that our vetting process was not up to our standard.”

“I’m a comedian who pushed boundaries. I sometimes miss,” Gillis said. “If you go through my 10 years of comedy, most of it bad, you’re going to find a lot of bad misses. I’m happy to apologize to anyone who’s actually offended by anything I’ve said. My intention is never to hurt anyone, but I am trying to be the best comedian I can be and sometimes hat requires risks.”

The media backlash against Gillis began almost immediately after Saturday Night Live announced that he was joining the cast.

A video clip from Gillis’ Matt and Shane’s Secret Podcast resurfaced in which the comedian is heard talking about New York’s Chinatown.

“Let the fucking ch-nks live there,” Gillis said, adding that a restaurant was “full of fucking Chinee [sic] in there.”

Despite numerous calls for him to be fired, Gillis found one defender — Democratic presidential candidate Andrew Yang.

“For the record, I don’t think he should lose his job,” Yang tweeted. “We would benefit from being more forgiving than punitive. We are all human.”

Is there anything they don’t end up destroying?

Atomic Punk Get The Show On The Road's Avatar
    Favorite VH Album

Van Halen
    Favorite VH Song

I'm The One
    Last Online

10.17.19 @ 06:32 PM
    Liked 16,704 Times in 8,798 Posts

Premium Member

Wow

David Ng 16 Sep 2019

Interesting.

I don't recall that New York Times editor being fired when her racist tweets surfaced, and those weren't even being said in jest - they were mean spirited racist garbage.

Double standard, anyone?
    The only genre I really know is Van Halen.

4. The Following 2 Members Like This Post:

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Love Walks In
    Last Online

10.17.19 @ 05:49 PM
    Liked 288 Times in 195 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by rocknblues81 View Post
    Is there anything they don’t end up destroying?
    How do you think you will feel when the jokes are at your expense and you are no longer part of the majority and your privilege and influence are diminished?

Good Enough
    Last Online

10.17.19 @ 09:37 PM
    Liked 979 Times in 517 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by VH1986 View Post
    How do you think you will feel when the jokes are at your expense and you are no longer part of the majority and your privilege and influence are diminished?
    Well, speaking only for myself, I'm not that thin skinned to give a rat's ass. I've never felt triggered when guys like Eddie Murphy or Richard Pryor made jokes at whitey's expense.

Sinner's Swing!
    Last Online

10.18.19 @ 04:14 AM
    Liked 4,602 Times in 2,045 Posts

Premium Member

Curious what do you know specifically about RNB's privelage and influence?

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

8. The Following 4 Members Like This Post:

Favorite VH Album

like them all, no favourite
    Last Online

10.18.19 @ 02:44 AM
    Liked 11,584 Times in 6,480 Posts

Asians have a higher income than any other group in the country. They are more educated than any other group in the country. How is making jokes of the most "privileged" group in the nation now a reason to fire someone. Also, it's comedy. If this was an asian comic making fun of white people, would he have been fired? What if it was a female asian comic? Same result. If there's a chance the answer is no (and we all know it is) then you know there is a real problem out there.

10. The Following 4 Members Like This Post:

Favorite VH Album

like them all, no favourite
    Last Online

10.18.19 @ 02:44 AM
    Liked 11,584 Times in 6,480 Posts

Wow

David Ng 16 Sep 2019

Comedy is destroying comedy. SNL shouldn't have moved on from him. He's a comic. Let people complain, just ignore them.

12. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Atomic Punk
    Last Online

10.17.19 @ 09:49 PM
    Liked 2,273 Times in 1,542 Posts

No comedians have ever made jokes about white people, eh?

14. The Following 2 Members Like This Post:

Favorite VH Album

The Magnificent 7
    Last Online

10.18.19 @ 04:32 AM
    Liked 18,407 Times in 10,495 Posts

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by It's Mike View Post
    Comedy is destroying comedy. SNL shouldn't have moved on from him. He's a comic. Let people complain, just ignore them.
    Are they going to remove DECADES of skits from their own website? How about put them in a vault and throw away the key?

Like this one

Hypocrisy. If SNL thinks this is over, they’re wrong. Now that they’ve given in, they’re at the mercy of this Frankenstein’s monster.
     "He has a swaggering retro machismo that will give hives to the Steinem cabal" -Camille Paglia on Donald Trump

"But, fucking with Brook is like fucking with hot shit on and ax handle. You just don't get a grip"-track5

"Make way for the bad guy"- Tony Montana

'This hamburger don't need no helper"- David Lee Roth

"I wish Bon Jovi would've given me a call before he recorded all of his hits, because the lyrics would've been smarter, the melodies would've been much more smashing, and they would've sold a lot fewer records." -David Lee Roth

"My beef is people thinking Bon Jovi is good cuz they sold lots of records to housewives." -tango

"But being number one doesn’t really mean jack fuck all. We sold twice as many records as other records that year (1984) that landed in the Number One position." ~Eddie Van Halen

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Dance the Night Away
    Last Online

10.18.19 @ 03:46 AM
    Liked 6,572 Times in 3,416 Posts

I wonder will the government while coming to get my guns, also will get my copy of Blazing Saddles?

Last Online

10.18.19 @ 04:17 AM
    Liked 10,994 Times in 6,063 Posts

Premium Member

Wow

David Ng 16 Sep 2019

Nice. They force him to say he's sorry like a little bitch... and still tell him he's out of a job.

Why is it when anyone on the left apologies for their transgressions... everything is always honky dory and the issue just fades away?

I'd better watch that new Dave Chappelle comedy special before someone let's Netflix know what their showing.
    Last edited by Number 47; 09.17.19 at 04:15 AM.

Sinner's Swing! BlindtotheWorld's Avatar
    Favorite VH Album

OU812
    Favorite VH Song

Romeo Delight/Mine All Mine
    Last Online

10.17.19 @ 12:05 PM
    Liked 1,798 Times in 950 Posts

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by It's Mike View Post
    Let people complain, just ignore them.
    What a novel idea!
    ]"Problem is Van Halen doesn't miss you. Or me. Or any of us." - Little Dreamer

Favorite VH Album

=VH= II
    Last Online

10.17.19 @ 09:54 PM
    Liked 2,477 Times in 1,318 Posts

Premium Member

Yes indeed.
    ☩ ☩ ☩

Atomic Punk Get The Show On The Road's Avatar
    Favorite VH Album

Van Halen
    Favorite VH Song

I'm The One
    Last Online

10.17.19 @ 06:32 PM
    Liked 16,704 Times in 8,798 Posts

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by Darrin Stephens View Post
    Curious what do you know specifically about RNB's privelage and influence?

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
    Actually, and he can correct me if I'm wrong, RnB has lived a pretty rough life. He's only mentioned it once or twice and I don't ever see him playing the victim or pulling the "woe is me" crap.

I don't always agree with his language and posts but to fucking call him privileged is absolutely ridiculous. Especially when you know nothing about the guy except for your assumption that he's white.

This is the kind of crap I'm talking about jape as far as why certain posters get the responses they do.
    The only genre I really know is Van Halen.

21. The Following Member Likes This Post: