Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

DOA
    Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

re: Bringing Back Van Halen

Guys & Girls:

Hear me out on this one...I am going to be long winded on this post, but I think it's necessary to properly convey what I'm trying to say to y'all.

Timeline: Monday afternoon, another work week!

I am sitting here working on my computer, Boston's "Feelin' Satisfied" shuffled up my MP3 player and for whatever reason I suddenly came up with an idea that I think could be pretty profound. Listen Up...

I was thinking how might the next 10 years of VH's contribution to the musical landscape play out, and I was thinking that it would be TRAGIC if these guys couldn't get it together and "contribute" to the collective body of music that we as listeners enjoy every day.

I was watching a documentary on "The Police" the other night, and I thought what a tragedy it was for 3 guys with such incredible musical chemistry to "pack it in" so soon, over some stupid personal problems. The God given gifts bestowed upon Sting, Andy Summers & Stewart Copeland weren't essentially their individual talents (even in Sting's Case), it was the union of the 3 given the chance to work together. They were given a once in a lifetime gift and they threw it away. What a Joke!

Which brings us the present Van Halen reality...

In relative terms, it's often hard to know how good or influential a certain artist's work is when you can't "look back" to make a comparison. I think now, with VH, we can look back over the last 25 years and really see "how good" they have been, in both the Dave Era, Sammy Era and even the Gary Era. Personally I think the Dave era reached an unexplainable pinnacle of energy but the other eras are still in my humble opinion stellar in their impact.

The more profound comparison will come in thirty years. What will we think of Van Halen's music when we are all old & gray? My belief is that their music will be looked back in absolute awe. When Britney's breasts have sagged and the Backstreet Boys have graduated to very bad TV acting gigs, what will we think about Van Halen's contributions. Again, I think we will look back in absolute awe & realize our opinions were right on the ball. In other words, I think the gut feeling we all have today in 2002, that VH is one of the greatest musical groups of "all time", WILL PLAY OUT and we can all collectively say "I told you so".

In the same way we can comfortably state that no basketball player will ever lace them up again like Michael Jordan, that no golfer will play with the same intensity of Tiger Woods or that no women will have the same sexual mystique of Marilyn Monroe...I think we can safely say Van Halen's music is about as good as it gets.

It's one thing to have an influence and change the direction or the styling of music, but it's another thing to record such a HUGE BODY OF WORK, that is so high in it's musical quality that you ask yourself, how does any human being have so much talent? Britney Spears, give me a effn' break, sure she influences culture & society, but 30 years from now we will celebrate the TRUE artistic gifts that came our way as citizen's of this planet and not how much mid-riff Britney showed us. (Mind you, maybe some of us will, ha ha.)

The first bottomline I'm getting at, is that we may NEVER get anything like VH music for the rest of our lives. I wish I could learn to savour music of a more mediocre quality, but I can't, I'm inflicted, what can I say, I have good taste. Anything else but the best doesn't inspire me. And let's be honest here, why do all of us listen to so much music in general?
    It's because it inspires us to work harder, and more often, to play harder! At the risk of sounding like a cliche, it is the soundtrack of our lifes.

You can't watch a Movie 100's of times over, but you certainly can listen to a favourite CD almost indefinitely. Music is the only medium that we internize repeatedly, no other medium has this characteristic. Sure, maybe there is the odd "Star Wars" fanatic that watches "The Empire Strikes Back" 200 time over, but this is an infinitesimal minority of people. I certainly am not one of them, but I'm not sick of "Fair Warning", "Who's Next", or "Goodbye Yellow Brick Road" after so many listens I can't even keep count.

The second bottomline I'm getting at, is that music is more important to us than we may on the surface be aware of, and again it would be tragic to not get another 4 Van Halen CD's over the next 10 years. Maybe the next Fair Warning is still to be put on Tape. Maybe a keyboard song better than Jump is sitting just around the corner. The amount of music that can written is infinite. Some Musicologists state the fact that there IS a limit to the amount of music there is to write, but I 100% disagree with this. In a perfect world, where we would all live to be 200 years old and not age so quickly, Van Halen may record 60 records...the music WOULD BE there to pull from. The argument that Fair Warning style music can never be made again is a crock. It can, and it should be.

In conclusion it is a tragedy to OUR futures if Van Halen falls apart, which unfortunately is possible at this point due to past events. We have seen it happen with many other artists and thus it is easy to see as a possibility.

MY IDEA...

(that you been patiently waiting for)...well...

I was thinking that it's ironic how SO MANY OF US all come to this electronic
    forum and discuss our love of Van Halen's music and we don't seem to have a voice that is reaching through to the Van Halen camp and truly affecting the course of events that will play out in the future of Van Halen's career. At least they don't seem to be do doing anything. We talk day-in and day-out about how we want more VH music and we are still waiting.

But, and hear is the the big BUT, there are so many of us and our feelings are so strong in our support for the return of Van Halen (in any variation) that I think that if we really organize ourselves to communicate to the band our feelings, they at least will get our message loud & clear.

What I propose is we build a Website...and use the power of the Internet, and the fact that we are such a large "group" to communicate something very clearly to Van Halen.

What would we communicate?, what would we try to say?, I say bring it down to the simpliest common denominator...

WHY DON'T WE JUST ASK FOR THEM TO GIVE US MORE MUSIC?

That's right, in the same way you'd ask the waiter for another beer, or ask your neighbour to pick up your mail when you're on vacation. We as say 4000 consumer's of the "Van Halen Music Product" will simply ask in mass for more music.

Us: "More music please."

I run a Website Development Company, and it is easy for me to get the technical infrastructure
    set up to do this.

I envision a website that will list thousands of fans asking for more music. ("more music please")

I would build a form where you could enter a short message to Van Halen, basically stating why you want more music. Hopefully thousands of people would enter their thoughts and the site would catalog everybody's words.

The website would then be promoted to every media outlet on the Net, through a very "romantic" sounding electronic Press Release, that some of them may pick up on because of the story's "emotional value".
    Also...Promote it to every hard rock music news group, forum, etc etc.

I'm not really up on all the Van Halen forums on the Internet, just this & the DLR Army. I'm sure the webmasters of this site would know where we could promote the link. I think the website should be registered under the name of this VHForums to give it a community value, instead of me registering it myself.

Sample Messages fan would leave would be along these lines:

1.Many of the other music legends like Led Zeppelin, The Who & Beatles can't reform even if they wanted to. Bonham, Moon, Entwistle, Lennon, Harrison are no longer with us. You never know when it's your time. At least you guys(vh) are all alive and well and still 100% able to pick up your instruments. For the love of God Eddie, you just survived cancer.

2.Although Van Halen is a recipe or distillation of many elements, in which all the members of VH are important to the final product IT IS Eddie who is the genesis or the channel for the music itself. Even he has admitted it. He has used words like "fountain" and said "I don't know where it comes from". I'm not trying to get all metaphysical here, but it's true. Most songwriters have very similar experiences where songs will come to them in dreams for example.

The point here is that, the music we get from Eddie isn't 100% really his, it's coming from somewhere else. When Eddie doesn't relize his music to the world he is being selfish in a way. We as music lovers have some sort of "right" to hear what he channels. True, he is the one that deserves all the money and fame that his music has given him (because he does all the hard work to bring it to fruition), but you can't logically state we as fans of his music have NO right to simply hear it. We don't want or need the millions of dollars or the mansion in Los Angeles, we just want a CD we can throw into our CD Player that gets us pumped up for work on a Monday morning. Our tastes and needs are simple to satisfy.

3.Do you guys realize the pure joy and happiness you bring us. Eddie, do you realize that those tens of thousands of hours you sat on the edge of your bed as a teenager in Pasadena eventually
    turned into smiles on people's faces?

Things like this...Fuck we all spend time typing into this forum, why don't we type directly to Van Halen. And if do it well enough, Van Halen will get wind of it. The Internet is very powerful.

At the end of the day it's not the end of the world if Van Halen can't give us more music, but I think it's worth a little effort from all of us die hard fans because we really CAN get a voice to Eddie, Alex, Mike, Dave, Sammy, Gary, or anybody else who has what it takes to get involved.

We just have to do it intelligently with a nice professional website.

If anything, we know how to use the Internet Medium, so let's use it. The beauty of using the Internet to communicate a message in comparison to other forms of Media is that it succeeds in 3 ways the other media don't. It brings large amounts of people together quickly, it is very cheap, and it works's well across OVERLY LARGE geographical areas. It has POWER!

Let me know what you think of this idea and maybe a group of us can organize it.

P.S. we'll call it:

www.vh-pleasecomeback.com

Favorite VH Album

The Classic 6 Pack
    Favorite VH Song

Take Your Whiskey Home
    Last Online

11.04.17 @ 06:01 AM
    Liked 185 Times in 65 Posts

I'll get back to you in 2 days when I've finished reading this...
    Woke up this mornin, got Blue Moon in your eyes...
    http://www.myretrolounge.com

Romeo Delight
    Favorite VH Album

fair warning
    Favorite VH Song

So this is love?
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I think that it is a good idea. Someone in the band would catch wind of it. If we had a paragraph from all of us die-hard fans on why they should get in the studio and they were to read it, it should have at least some effect on them. Ill keep up with the progress and see what everyone else thinks. Now i dont know anything about setting up website but as far as expressing my opinion on this website, Im down.
    Lets Hope VH gets some Sensible Shoes that lead them back to Dave.

Favorite VH Album

Balance, 1984, VH I
    Favorite VH Song

Humans Being, I'll Wait
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 05:55 AM
    Liked 56 Times in 18 Posts

I like the website idea, but I'd hate to have such a noble idea get ruined by people turning it into yet another Sam vs. Dave vs. Gary debate. If people could simply tell why they love Van Halen, any era, and maybe give a nice positive VH related story showing how their music touched the writer in a special way, that'd be a really nice gesture by the fans toward our favorite band.
    "And now for the benediction..."
    - DLR (Blossom 5/29/02)

"It's a great day for Hockey."
    - "Badger" Bob Johnson

Little Dreamer
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Panama
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

You've got passion, that's for sure. And I commend you for that.

But, to be completely objective, what's the point of the website? So that Ed, Al and Mike can know that people like their music and want more? I think they know that. Ed isn't going to say, "well, now there are 5,151 people. Al, Mike, let's record." They will make music when they want to. As it should be.

My suggestion to you, would be to take that passion and put it towards something a little more constructive. Surf the web and find all the rare Van Halen tracks you can and make them available. Or build a site that links to various radio stations in different areas so people can request Van Halen. Or any number of things.

But, just my opinion: 1,000,000 people telling Ed they want new music isn't going to sway his mind. If he doesn't want to make music, he won't.

Favorite VH Album

Last Online

02.17.17 @ 11:44 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Sounds like a great idea. I don't know about 'personal' messages because we know how that can fall apart. I think a clear concise message allowing people to indicate they agree with it. The key then would be to get local rock stations around the country to do a mention and maybe get picked up by some industry folks who would eventually get it out to the key players.

Great idea. Not sure it would work but I'm sure Eddie could use a little ego lift. I think a "We Want Van Halen" statement with 10,000 'signatures' could go along way.
    If you want a little peace, sometimes you got to fight
    We got to walk through the darkness
    Before we stand in the light.
    -S. Hagar

http://www.chickenfoot.us/

Top Of The World
    Last Online

12.12.17 @ 09:30 PM
    Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts

I have a better idea. Get all the fans on this web site and others to donate a dollar to chip in for a full page ad in the USA Today and send the message of our support and that we want more VH music! We have all seen Corporate Sponsors do it, why not us? How about a "We Want More Van Halen Music" on the side of a Nascar Race Car at the Indy Brickyard Race in August? That would be an attention grabber! 500,000+ fans as well as millions of TV viewers on NBC. I work for a Nascar Team and I see first hand the effect it has for the Sponsors. Let's Sponsor VH! Maybe if the Bros. get wind of it they might throw in a few bucks?

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Panama
    Last Online

03.03.15 @ 08:24 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I will give 20$ for this ad in the USATODAY...No kidding, someone set this up and everyone donate for the message. Someone find out how much for a one page ad!?!? [img]graemlins/thumb.gif[/img]
    "Knowing is not enough, we must apply,willing is not enough, we must do" -Goethe

Minds are like parachutes. They only function when they are open.--Sir James Dewar, Scientist (1877-1925)

Always drink upstream from the herd...
    --Will Rogers

It is amazing how much some people can do with so little, however, what is even more amazing to me is how little some people can do with so much.
    --Somewhat me, mostly someone else, not sure who

Top Of The World
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

DOA
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

A one page Ad in USA Today, would cost approx $50,000.00.

Those newspapers make a killing on those ADs.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear About It Later, Atomic Pu
    Last Online

07.20.17 @ 03:43 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Regardless of what anybody may feel about your plan, that was a very nice post, subway. I probably enjoyed the first part of it even more than the "plan" part myself.

I don't think the brothers' opinion and/or motivation is entirely non-subject to sway, but a website would probably just be seen as "another website". But a collective primal scream from a large quantity of longtime fans could certainly have an effect if the right vehicle were used.

I will say this however -

MORE MUSIC, PLEASE!!!!!! [img]graemlins/yell.gif[/img]

[img]smile.gif[/img]

[ July 23, 2002, 05:34 AM: Message edited by: Wolfman ]

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Panama
    Last Online

03.03.15 @ 08:24 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Ok, well, if we all pool together, we can maybe afford a footnote on the back page...yikers! 50,000$
    "Knowing is not enough, we must apply,willing is not enough, we must do" -Goethe

Minds are like parachutes. They only function when they are open.--Sir James Dewar, Scientist (1877-1925)

Always drink upstream from the herd...
    --Will Rogers

It is amazing how much some people can do with so little, however, what is even more amazing to me is how little some people can do with so much.
    --Somewhat me, mostly someone else, not sure who

Top Of The World
    Last Online

12.12.17 @ 09:30 PM
    Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts

Let's get the fans together and do it. Maybe some celebrities would chip in as well. There's millions of fans across the world. I'm sure we could get 50,000 fans or more to throw in a dollar or two.

Little Dreamer
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

ALL
    Last Online

09.11.07 @ 08:22 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I'm up for whatever it takes.....
    I'm sure Ed will make music when he damn
    well feels like it! Not because we asked kindly!

BUT!!!! I think there is nothing like a little motivation
    to get this guy off his ass!!!!

Sorry Ed. But we as fans are pissed!

So lets select an idea like this and run with it.
    Full Page ad in USA Today.....fantastic Idea
    Reality.......Bucko Dinero
    Nascar......Cool But not as direct and in your face
    as the newspaper AD!

Love the Shock value of that idea!

Internet ..... Cost Cheap
    so lets get something started as a group
    and maybe some day after a million fans
    have responded we can take out that
    fullpage ad. and then take out another
    saying thanks for the new music.

Motivated to help

"Mike R."

[img]graemlins/thumb.gif[/img]
    "All The Bills Are Paid<br />I've Got it made In The Shade"

Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Favorite VH Song

Right Now
    Last Online

01.30.06 @ 10:11 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

OK!
    I'll try to contact the Dutch 5150 VH Fanclub, to see if they want to contribute in some way.

I hope our voice will be heard [img]graemlins/yell.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/thumb.gif[/img]

PEACE! [img]graemlins/thumb.gif[/img]
    "You go there once, you'll be there twice" CABO WABO!

Romeo Delight
    Favorite VH Album

Any
    Favorite VH Song

Any
    Last Online

04.19.12 @ 08:32 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Originally posted by Zahzoo:
    I'll get back to you in 2 days when I've finished reading this...
    LOL [img]smile.gif[/img]
    Into every life, a little Halen must fall