Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Girl Gone Bad
    Last Online

11.20.19 @ 08:12 PM
    Liked 1,755 Times in 933 Posts

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jedi McFly View Post
    Looking forward to your clips, Brett. I've been thinking about replacing my MXR 5150 OD with either the BE-OD or the new Wampler Pinnacle V2.
    They are the 3 i'm weighing up. At this stage the Wampler is the one i'm liking more, but the BE-OD does sound incredible too. Based on the tube clips, they both sound better than the 5150.
    Most rock journalism is people who can't write, interviewing people who can't talk, for people who can't read. - Frank Zappa

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen I & Balance
    Favorite VH Song

I'm the One & Feelin'
    Last Online

06.07.18 @ 11:54 PM
    Liked 321 Times in 170 Posts

I have the Pinnacle Deluxe V2, BE-OD, and 5150; maybe I can offer some of my opinions, pros, and cons on them. First and foremost, I absolutely love all 3, and there are really no bad sounds in any of them.

BE-OD: Just a fucking monster of a pedal. It sounds very amp-like, and the EQ is very responsive. The real magic is in the Tight knob and the way it can muddy, or de-muddy up the low end. A small change to the Bass or Treble knob goes a long way. I don't think it in any way sounds like the Pinnacle--not even close. However, it sounds damn close to the 5150 OD. The BE-OD sounds 'chunkier' than the 5150, if that makes sense...

Cons: No 3 band EQ. I'd prefer a Mid knob instead of the Presence knob. Sure, it's a nice touch, but I just don't think it's needed and would have MUCH rather had a knob for Mids. The gain seems to have one setting, and adjusting the Gain knob doesn't really seem to do all that much. My internal Gain pot is still in the factory position at noon and I've not messed with it. Gain at 9:00 seems almost the same tone as having the Gain at 5:00. The tone doesn't seem to clean up much either when you roll your guitar volume back.

5150:
    Most of us are probably more familiar with this one, but it sounds very close to the Friedman. The 5150 is odd in the sense that higher gain settings sound identical to the blue channel of the amp, while lower gain settings with the boost button in seem closer to the early VH tone. This is actually my go-to pedal for the early VH tone of the 3 pedals. EQ is very responsive and adjustable as well. While I don't use the built in noise gate, I've tried it and it does work great and it's very adjustable. The 5150 is very amp-like and cleans up well as you roll back your guitar volume.

Really no cons here. Nails the new tone, nails the old tone.

Pinnacle Deluxe V2: Again, another great sounding pedal. I think this might get closer to the 1984ish tone than any other eras. The new 3 band EQ is great and quite adjustable. The biggest benefit to me was the addition of the Sag switch. Previous versions of the Pinnacle sagged like a bitch with high-output pickups--especially EVH Wolfs. This Sag switch fixes that and this thing now plays very nice with all of my guitars. Having the Vintage/Modern switch is also great. There are just a f'n TON of tones within this pedal, and flipping that switch changes the voicing so it's more/less 2 pedals in one. I don't think the Pinnacle sounds even remotely close to the 5150 or the Friedman. Overall, this is a VERY versatile pedal and simply sounds outstanding.

Cons: The pre-boost is at best, ok... It just really doesn't seem to do much when you engage the 2nd footswitch. It does add some gain, but no volume at all. Likewise with the Gain/Boost toggle switch. It does add in more gain, but no volume. You can however use the pre-gain with or without the main circuit engaged, so it sounds just lightly overdriven. That tone is voiced based on a Tubescreamer but without the mid-hump. I would have preferred a post-gain boost instead whereas it adds both gain AND volume. Rolling your guitar volume back doesn't have a massive effect on cleaning up your tone either, but it is far more dramatic than rolling your guitar volume back with the Friedman; the Pinnacle cleans up much better. In contrast, you could just dis-engage the main gain and use the pre-boost gain of the Pinnacle. It has about the same effect as rolling your volume back.

I screwed around playing the first 2 VH albums while fucking with the 3 pedals, their EQs, and gain settings. Every time the 5150 'won' because it sounded the absolute closest to my ears. The 5150 and BE-OD are also the most amp like of the 3. I really feel like I'm playing through the amp. The Pinnacle is close, and sounds great, but I still feel like I'm playing through a pedal.

Again, this is all just my opinion. What sounds best to you will be in your ears, not mine. I've thought about selling off the BE-OD at one point, but it just sounds so damn good. In the end, I really love all 3 pedals.

EDIT: I should probably note my setup too: I'm playing through a modded 5150 III 50 watt that was modded by Voodoo Amps so my clean channel is perfectly clean. I'm running a Wampler Ego comp, and Dunlop Echoplex pre-amp early in my chain and both are always on. That might contribute to how little 'clean up' I get when rolling the volume back. However, the 5150 cleans up perfectly fine.
    Last edited by Stealth5150; 05.17.17 at 05:29 AM.

3. The Following 3 Members Like This Post:

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen 1
    Favorite VH Song

Romeo Delight
    Last Online

05.19.19 @ 02:04 PM
    Liked 1,197 Times in 700 Posts

Good review Stealth5150 . I felt the BEOD and the EVH were pretty close and I had both together for a few months . I actually preferred the EVH OD over the 5150lll 50 watt that I had
    You may think I`m being mean but I`m really just being sarcastic

5. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Last Online

11.20.19 @ 10:48 AM
    Liked 4,559 Times in 1,720 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

I couldn't have asked for a better comparison, Stealth5150. I've got the 5150 OD and at home I test it out through a modded 5150iii 50w just like yourself, so I had a good reference point for your descriptions of the other two pedals. Thanks very much for writing that up.

The BE-OD being so close to the 5150 OD makes me consider a swap it solely due to size reasons. Real estate is in high demand on my pedalboard, and since my toddler just inexplicably broke my delay pedal (he was playing with the pretty lights on it one minute, the next minute it's a brick) I may be due for a pedalboard refresh.

7. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Mean Street
    Last Online

11.19.19 @ 12:41 PM
    Liked 1,299 Times in 736 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jedi McFly View Post
    I couldn't have asked for a better comparison, Stealth5150. I've got the 5150 OD and at home I test it out through a modded 5150iii 50w just like yourself, so I had a good reference point for your descriptions of the other two pedals. Thanks very much for writing that up.

The BE-OD being so close to the 5150 OD makes me consider a swap it solely due to size reasons. Real estate is in high demand on my pedalboard, and since my toddler just inexplicably broke my delay pedal (he was playing with the pretty lights on it one minute, the next minute it's a brick) I may be due for a pedalboard refresh.
    I hope you...corrected him, sir.

TK

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen 1
    Favorite VH Song

Romeo Delight
    Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by CalFB View Post
    They are the 3 i'm weighing up. At this stage the Wampler is the one i'm liking more, but the BE-OD does sound incredible too. Based on the tube clips, they both sound better than the 5150.
    Well if we're just gong by YouTube clips I've heard the Wampler Pinnacle sound great but in person I thought the EVH OD smoked it . Gotta be careful making a choice thru clips online . I haven't tried the latest revised version of the Pinnacle though . Just my 2 cents

10. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Favorite VH Album

vh1
    Favorite VH Song

black and blue
    Last Online

11.17.19 @ 04:12 AM
    Liked 7 Times in 2 Posts

I have the be-od and love it. Internal trim pot at 9 o'clock
    gain almost off
    volume at noon ish
    I use it with my Clean channels with my 5150 50 watt with a evh 2x12 and my baby tone monster Peavey 6505 mh with a 1x12 peavey birch cab with a celestion greenback

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Eruption
    Last Online

06.30.17 @ 01:26 AM
    Liked 131 Times in 74 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Brett View Post
    I was thinking I'd use the Friedman for a main distortion tone on the clean channel and use the lead channel on the 5150 and boost it for solos so basically I'd have a three-channel amp. Right now I use the lead channel as my main tone and use an MXR Micro Amp for a solo boost. I'd rather not have to do it that way honestly.

If the Friedman didn't sound so fucking good I wouldn't even bother messing with an amp like the 5150 which has plenty of distortion on its own.
    sounds like a good idea Brett

Favorite VH Album

1984, VH1, ADKOT
    Favorite VH Song

ATBL, China Town
    Last Online

11.20.19 @ 11:38 AM
    Liked 394 Times in 234 Posts

Premium Member

I've got the BE-OD & it sounds great as an overdrive for my JCM 800. Best OD pedal I've ever used.
    "People ask me how far I've come. And I tell them twelve feet: from the audience to the stage." - David Lee Roth

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Girl Gone Bad
    Last Online

11.20.19 @ 08:12 PM
    Liked 1,755 Times in 933 Posts

Premium Member

Does anyone have a JHS Angry Charlie? It sounds like another great hot rodded marshall style pedal.
    Most rock journalism is people who can't write, interviewing people who can't talk, for people who can't read. - Frank Zappa

Eruption
    Last Online

10.15.19 @ 10:00 PM
    Liked 280 Times in 152 Posts

I got the first BE-OD the local GC had last summer. I had just finished my '69 Plexi clone build and, although it had a massive and deep tone, it had next to no gain. So I decided to make it a pedal platform. The BE-OD absolutely slayed with that head, though it took some dialing in. My amp tech wanted to borrow it to do a video comparison between it and the Freaking Sick 30v pedal he builds. So he gave me one of his to tie me over until he was done with the BE-OD video. I liked his pedal more and bought it. Now the BE-OD is my back up and I just throw it in my bag of cables and stuff when I head to a gig.

FWIW, last night I was at a benefit, sort of all-star gig and everyone had to share a backline. My buddy, who works at Fender and has all the EVH stuff, couldn't bring anything but his pedalboard and two guitars. So he used a BE-OD, but the amp they gave him was a Friedman Runt through a Friedman 4x12. He didn't have time to dial it all in and just couldn't get it below way distorted. By itself head wasn't enough, but he couldn't clean it up enough to make the pedal provide all the gain. He was really fighting to control the feedback. That was his first night out with the BE-OD, but he really bought it for fly-in gigs, where he has to use another amp. IMHO, that pedal sounds killer through a very clean amp, but would not be good for a boost or anything else through an amp with any kind of gain on it.

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen 1
    Favorite VH Song

Romeo Delight
    Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by CalFB View Post
    Does anyone have a JHS Angry Charlie? It sounds like another great hot rodded marshall style pedal.
    I had it I much preferred the BEOD , EVH OD and Bogner Red
    Last edited by 51501984; 05.21.17 at 06:49 PM.

Last Online

11.20.19 @ 10:48 AM
    Liked 4,559 Times in 1,720 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

My buddy has the JHS @ - the Andy Timmons signature version of the Angry Charlie. I thought it sounded better than the AC.

Last Online

11.14.19 @ 01:14 PM
    Liked 803 Times in 389 Posts

When I was putting together my Fly Rig rig, I was seriously considering a BE-OD. Based on my research it seems that the 5150 OD and BE-OD are very similar, and the 5150 OD comes very close to sounding as good as the BE-OD. The reason I went with the 5150 OD, was because of the 3-band eq, and the fact that it may not sound quite as good at some things as the BE-OD, but it had a little more versatility. I would love to have a BE-OD as well, but it's hard for me to justify having two pedals at that price that are so similar in tone.
    "Having an opinion that people disagree with doesn't make you a Douche, arguing with the people who disagree with your opinion and calling them stupid does!" -Me.

Last Online

11.20.19 @ 03:26 PM
    Liked 2,196 Times in 925 Posts

Premium Member

A guy traded me this plus $100 for an Indonesian wolfgang I wasn't using anymore

Very hard to describe, but its like no other Distortion I've heard. Really gets a nice 1984 tone.
    It was like brand new, in the box, never used.