Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register

Thread: Big Gear Day!

Last Online

12.12.17 @ 03:16 PM
    Liked 724 Times in 341 Posts

Default Big Gear Day!

Well, not really, but I'm pretty excited. I finally got to pick up my Fly Rig 5 from GC, as the police hold has expired (but enough about the police hold), and also got a call from my buddies at Flores music that my Bassbreaker 15 was off the bench and ready for pick-up.

The Bassbreaker 15 was in for a noisy effects loop. I've never been able to use the effects loop since I got it. I completely gave up on ever using it until I became aware that Fender sent out a Tech Note that the effects loop jacks needed to be changed on some of them. I took it in and they got it fixed, no charge.

So now, I have a few things I will be doing tonight.

1) Set up PA and see how the Fly Rig 5 sounds direct into the board
    2) Run my 5150 Overdrive into the front end of the Fly Rig 5 with the "Plexi" off, and see how the SansAmp handles the Overdrive
    3) Run my 5150 Overdrive into my Bassbreaker 15, and see how it sounds. I haven't used my Bassbreaker with a 5150 Overdrive yet, and I got it while my amp was in the shop.
    4) Run my Pitchfactor in the effects loop of the Bassbreaker 15, with and without the 5150 Overdrive in front of it to see how it sounds with the effects loop corrected.

So now, Rig Rundown:

My primary rig consists of a 5150 III 1x12 combo, and a Bassbreaker 15. I A/B them, 5150 for dirt and Fender for cleans. I can also turn my Fender to High Gain mode and turn on A and B, and it sounds pretty glorious.

So why have a 5150 Overdrive when I already have a 5150 III Combo? Options.

Alternate rig one:
    -For smaller gigs where I don't have room for, or don't want to bring everything. I put the 5150 overdrive in front of the Fender with the Pitchfactor in the effects loop, and I should have just about the same sound as what I do with the 5150 III Combo and the Fender. Also useful for band practice.

Alternate rig two:
    -For open Mic nights or super small gigs where stage space is extremely limited. I put the 5150 overdrive in front of the Fly Rig 5, and use the on-board delay to approximate a chorus and delay effect, set up the SansAmp for cleans, the Plexi for a good heavy tone. I run this direct into the console and feed the guitar back to me in the monitors. I would basically have a virtual 3 channel amp setup, with Clean, moderate high gain with the Plexi, and my usual tone with the 5150 Overdrive.

Now, I just need to go home and figure out if this is all going to work the way I just described to my satisfaction. The nice thing is, I can set the 5150 Overdrive up, and A/B it in real time with my 5150 Combo to dial in my tone.
    "Having an opinion that people disagree with doesn't make you a Douche, arguing with the people who disagree with your opinion and calling them stupid does!" -Me.

2. The Following 2 Members Like This Post:

Last Online

So, I had a chance to play around with my stuff tonight, and here's the results:

I spent most of my time playing around with the Fly Rig, mostly because I was prey blown away by it. Plugged into my PA, and spent about 15 minutes playing around with the EQ on the SansAmp portion to get the clean tone dialed in the way I liked it before I even turned on the Plexi portion. I turned on the Plexi, and at first I had the gain set at about 4 o'clock. I was pretty happy with it. It was nice and thick, but after a while, I turned it to about 2 o'clock, and I think that is where it sounds best. Nice and crunchy classic rock tone. When you kick the Hot button, it raises the volume slightly and fattens up the gain a bit.

When I was content with the settings on the Fly Rig, I put the 5150 Overdrive in front of it, and it sounded really outstanding. Almost exactly like I remember it sounding in front of my Hot Rod Deluxe. I screwed around with that for a little while and determined that I needed to bring the gain on the SansAmp portion down from 12 o'clock to about 10 o'clock. Perfection.

Next, I put the 5150 Overdrive in front of my Bassbreaker. It sounded ok, but not as good as the Fly Rig, and not as good as it used to sound into my old HRD. I was able to tweak it and get it to sound close to what it should, but never got it to sound exactly right. I don't think I would ever be able to set it to where it's going to be mistaken for the actual amp, but I could easily get that plugged into the Fly Rig. It must either be the size of the cabinet, or the EL-84 tubes in the Bassbreaker coloring the tone.

Anyway, I didn't get a chance to get the pitchfactor into the loop tonight, but I will update when I do.
    "Having an opinion that people disagree with doesn't make you a Douche, arguing with the people who disagree with your opinion and calling them stupid does!" -Me.

4. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Push comes to shove
    Last Online

12.09.17 @ 03:43 PM
    Liked 1,106 Times in 675 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

I've been seeing a lot of video of Ritchie Kotzen using the Flyrig 5 and a wah wah. He sounds totally kuckass.
    Post up some audio if you can please
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."

“A patriot must always be ready to defend his country against his government.”

Last Online

I'll see what I can do. Trying to decide the best way to do the recordings. I could go direct out of the board and into Garage Band. I'd like to do it with my 5150III Combo Mic'd into one channel, and the Fly Rig with the 5150 Overdrive into the other so I can A/B them in real time to hear the differences.

The other option is just to take a video with the Ipad, which would let you hear what it actually sounds like in the room. Not sure which I'd like to do yet.

Last Online

Here is the best I could do tonight. Just a quick clip of the rig. My Les Paul with a Custom Custom in the bridge, into a 5150 Overdrive, then the Fly Rig 5 SansAmp Portion, (no Plexi). Delay and reverb from the Fly Rig 5. Out of the Fly Rig 5 and into a mixer. Out of the mixer and into my Ipad via a Irig and recorded with Garageband.

https://soundcloud.com/user-55947566...5150-overdrive

8. The Following 4 Members Like This Post:

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Mean Street
    Last Online

12.12.17 @ 01:49 PM
    Liked 796 Times in 432 Posts

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by nobozos View Post
    Here is the best I could do tonight. Just a quick clip of the rig. My Les Paul with a Custom Custom in the bridge, into a 5150 Overdrive, then the Fly Rig 5 SansAmp Portion, (no Plexi). Delay and reverb from the Fly Rig 5. Out of the Fly Rig 5 and into a mixer. Out of the mixer and into my Ipad via a Irig and recorded with Garageband.

I've been obsessed with the Fly Rig for a while. Seems like a really cool solution. But I don't record directly. I'm always playing through my amp. Would it make any sense, in your view, to run my 5150 into the Fly Rig like you?

This is further complicated by the fact that I use time-based effects in my loop and often use amp distortion instead of the pedal. I also currently run a tube screamer clone in front of the 5150 right now for mid-range kick.

Just like to hear your thoughts, since you've used it.

TK

Favorite VH Album

VH, 1984, 5150, F.U.C.K.
    Favorite VH Song

A few of Daves, a few of Sams!
    Last Online

12.12.17 @ 04:05 PM
    Liked 6,969 Times in 5,005 Posts

Premium Member

Sounds pretty good to my ears! We appreciate the clip.
    What settings on the 5150 overdrive, particularly the gain?
    "There's too many people on this basketball that's floating around the sun, who are too afraid to allow themselves to FEEL" - Edward Van Halen
    "Van Halen was never about the singer..." - a very wise fan.
    "Embrace the past. Live in the moment but keep your eyes on the future, and keep on moving forward..." - Richie Sambora

Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by RRvh1 View Post
    Sounds pretty good to my ears! We appreciate the clip.
    What settings on the 5150 overdrive, particularly the gain?
    Gain was set at 9 o'clock with the boost button in for a more early vh tone
    Last edited by nobozos; 04.26.17 at 06:29 PM.

Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by pickslide View Post
    I've been obsessed with the Fly Rig for a while. Seems like a really cool solution. But I don't record directly. I'm always playing through my amp. Would it make any sense, in your view, to run my 5150 into the Fly Rig like you?

This is further complicated by the fact that I use time-based effects in my loop and often use amp distortion instead of the pedal. I also currently run a tube screamer clone in front of the 5150 right now for mid-range kick.

Just like to hear your thoughts, since you've used it.

TK
    I'm not sure I understand the question, but it sounds like you were asking if you should run your 5150 Amplifier into the Fly Rig. If that is the question, I'm not sure how that would work. If you were asking about the 5150 Overdrive pedal into the Fly Rig, I have to say, Hell Yes!

So, the next thing you were asking about is time-based effects. I would have to know what you are using to try to provide you an answer, but the Fly Rig comes with reverb in the SansAmp Section, as well as a Delay section that would be in the "effects loop" of the SansAmp section, virtually. The Fly Rig is basically laid out from right to left in 3 sections. Farthest to the right is the "Plexi" section, which is just the Tech21 Plexi effects pedal that would normally be put in front of an amp. The middle is the SansAmp section, which is basically an amp simulator direct box with cabinet emulation. The left side is the Delay, which is set up to simulate being in the effects loop of the SansAmp.

The Fly Rig does not have an effects loop, but the Delay section offers a little more than just delay. It has a "Drift" knob that adds kind of a modulation to the delay and can simulate a tape warble at certain settings. Anyway, there is a hidden Chorus effect if you turn the Time knob all the way down, and turn the drift knob to 12 o'clock, it's basically a chorus.

There is a "Hot" button in the Plexi section that boosts the volume of either the SansAmp, the SansAmp with the Plexi on, or your dry signal without anything else on the pedal on, and it's level is adjustable.

So, the configurations that you could use the pedal for would be in front of an amp, in which case you could use the Delay and Plexi sections with the SansAmp off. Some people run the SansAmp on into an amp, but then you have all the EQ of the SansAmp, as well as the amplifier eq to adjust. It's really not made to run the SansAmp into an amp, as you are running a cabinet simulation into the front of an amplifier. I wouldn't recommend it. You could run the Fly Rig direct into your mixer, in which case you would have the SansAmp section on all the time, and add Delay or the Plexi sections as desired. You would never run just the Plexi section direct into the mixer without the SansAmp section on, or it will sound like crap.

So, when running direct, don't look at the Fly Rig as 2 channels and a delay, you have to look at it as an amplifier, a boost pedal, and a delay, which is what it really is. When running into an amp, same thing. You wouldn't plug a boost pedal direct into a mixer, and you wouldn't run an amp into another amp.

Oh, and one more thing. I have my SansAmp section set to moderately clean, but it is capable of getting very crunchy on it's own. You could set the SansAmp to a dirty tone and kick your leads up with the Hot switch, or you can set it up like I did, which is moderately clean, and then kick on the Plexi section for my dirt tone. The Plexi section can go from classic Plexi to Modded early VH type gain.

At some point when I have time, I plan on making clips of just the Fly Rig demonstrating the clean and Plexi tones, as well as a recording of my 5150III Amp for comparison to the Fly Rig setup. I honestly can see myself gigging with just the pedalboard in the picture above. It's got a great tone on it's own, but when you add the 5150 Overdrive into the equation, I've got a virtual 3 channel amp that sounds really good, with a lot less time setting up and tearing down.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Mean Street
    Last Online

Premium Member

I'm not sure I understand the question, but it sounds like you were asking if you should run your 5150 Amplifier into the Fly Rig. If that is the question, I'm not sure how that would work. If you were asking about the 5150 Overdrive pedal into the Fly Rig, I have to say, Hell Yes!...
    Yeah, my question was poorly phrased. I use a Peavey Classic 50 (at YOUR recommendation ). For moderate gain, I use amp distortion that I sometimes kick up with a tube screamer. But sometimes I use a 5150 pedal for my distortion (both with and without the tube screamer). It gives me basically four channels on the fly for different levels and flavors of gain. I also have a chorus, delay, and a clean boost in the loop.

But you know how gear heads are. I've been wanting to try the Fly Rig for a while. For your application, it sounds like you're running the 5150 pedal into the Fly Rig and using the time-based effects in the Fly Rig. So, to and extent, the Fly Rig would make my loop set-up redundant unless the Fly Rig were bypassed.

Just trying to think of new excuses to buy gear, basically. But also seriously wondering if I would like the Fly Rig better than my current set-up.

Can't wait to hear your clips.

TK

Last Online

I don't think the Fly Rig would be better than your current set-up, but I do think that it is really damn good. So good in fact, that most people in the audience would not know the difference. I have my doubts that most musicians in the audience would be able to tell that you weren't using a real amp. One thing is for sure, it's a hell of a lot easier to carry than our current set-ups.

That being said, I would never give up my tube amps and just go strictly to the Fly Rig. It just gives me a really good option for smaller gigs and practice. Could I go with the Fly Rig only, yeah, but let's face it, we all want to impress people with our amps and gear set-ups too much to just plug into a pedalboard.

15. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Mean Street
    Last Online

Premium Member

I don't think the Fly Rig would be better than your current set-up, but I do think that it is really damn good. So good in fact, that most people in the audience would not know the difference. I have my doubts that most musicians in the audience would be able to tell that you weren't using a real amp. One thing is for sure, it's a hell of a lot easier to carry than our current set-ups.

That being said, I would never give up my tube amps and just go strictly to the Fly Rig. It just gives me a really good option for smaller gigs and practice. Could I go with the Fly Rig only, yeah, but let's face it, we all want to impress people with our amps and gear set-ups too much to just plug into a pedalboard.
    Yeah, you're probably right. I don't do much direct recording. None, actually. And though my amp is somewhat cumbersome, it's not that hard to cart it to practice or a gig. All my pedals are on one board, so that's not an issue either. Maybe if my amp blows up, I'll get an HRD and go all pedals. THEN I might get a fly rig.

Thanks for the insight.

TK

Last Online

I would say that a Fly Rig would be a worthwhile addition to any gigging musician's pedalboard. You can run it in front of your amp for normal gigs, and it gives you a pretty kick-ass Plexi distortion pedal and delay if you choose to use the delay in front of your amp. If your amp loses a tube in the middle of a gig, you just switch a couple cables around, and you can continue your gig inside of 5 minutes with very little impact to your tone.

I personally just plan on keeping two pedalboards, the one I use for my amp setup, and the Fly Rig pedalboard you see pictured above. I can run my Fly Rig into my Bassbreaker, or use it direct. My other pedalboard is for my 5150 and Bassbreaker, with an A/B box. If I got really crazy, I could run my amps with both pedalboards. Options.

18. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Last Online

If you are following this thread, I'm going to start a new thread with the sound clips I recorded tonight, so take a look at that one.

Last Online

12.12.17 @ 01:24 PM
    Liked 727 Times in 293 Posts

For what it's worth... All the guitars on this were done with the Kotzen Fly rig thing that my bass player owns. We just ran it into his computer. The insane harmonizing thing was done with whatever program he uses, but the tracks were all recorded with the Kotzen unit. Even the acoustic track. It is extremely easy to record with once you set the levels. I don't think I would like it live though through a PA.

~Eric
    https://www.reverbnation.com/kingslevel1
    https://twitter.com/kingslevel1
    New EP "Awakening" out on Amazon, Spotify, Google, iTunes 122117