Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
Save
    Sinner's Swing!
    Last Online

08.20.17 @ 02:46 PM
    Liked 1,329 Times in 781 Posts

Default Anyone Having Sudden Problems With Samsung Android Devices?

Hey all.
    This is a bit long, but just thought I'd post this because myself, and other people I know are having some very sudden erratic behavior on their slightly older Samsung phones and tabs.

First problem I noticed:

Last Saturday, I was charging my Galaxy S III phone, which has been flawless, and it reached full charge as normal in a little under 40 mins. or so.
    About 45 mins. later, I was heading out, grabbed my phone, and the power was off even though I charged it while on.

I turned it on, it booted up, but immediately I got a "battery critically low" message, and a 1% level before it shut itself down again.

Charged it again later....No problem at all with the battery, but then later that day, I swiped my unlock pattern on the screen, and the ghost line froze half way, and kinda jittered around the screen, and I couldn't clear it.
    Restarted...It went away.
    Next issue on Monday....Tried calling out, and would connect, ring once, but then disconnect on it's own. People calling in...My phone would ring, but when I answered, it would disconnect immediately, and show home screen on it's own.

So yesterday, my boss who also uses a Samsung III was late for work as he had to pick up a new phone, because his had the same issue with the battery mine did, but then after he recharged, and restarted, his phone completely crashed, and it wiped everything. Took it in, and it couldn't even be hard reset.

He also said that he found out another guy in line had the exact same issue on his S4, and two other people the previous day had come in with the battery drain issue.

Weird.

So....Last night, I was using my Galaxy Tab, which is two years old, and out of the blue, with 78% battery, my screen started to flicker on and off erratically, the tab beeped, and the screen went black. WTF? I tried to press the buttons, and restart, and it wouldn't.

Took a chance, grabbed my charger, plugged it in, and it booted up, but battery now showed only 3%. This was all in a span of about 20 seconds that my battery depleted once the screen started flickering, to shutting down. Never had one problem with this device, and battery has charged, and held charge fine until this happened. The battery got stinkin' hot too, so this kind of alarmed me considering their Note 7 situation.

Now.....I just was talking to my boss about this, and one of my coworkers was walking by, and he just said that his Samsung S4 has been acting weird the past couple of days with freezing, charge, and random loss of installed apps.

I've looked around online, and have not seen any mass reports of issues, malware, or trojans...at least right now.

Granted, theses are older, or slightly older platforms depending on your device, and I know a lot of people often get a new phone or device the instant they come out, so maybe not as many users of these particular units now, but this is pretty damn coincidental that all these issues are springing up out of the blue all within a week.

I asked these guys if they'd had any problems before, and all of them said no, and they were just as surprised these issues were happening given they've been so reliable. My S3 has been a workhorse in my business...I could get a new phone, or change brand, but I've been afraid too given mine has been so good...Best phone I've had, and I've had a lot over the years, including an Apple IPhone.

So just thought I'd ask if any forum users who might be using a generation or two, or even older are all of a sudden having these issues?

The reason I'm asking here, is I'm thinking is there was probably a system update (I set mine to auto, as did all these other people apparently) that is causing a conflict somewhere.

I will do a full reset on them of course, but just wanted to know if anyone had had a similar problem, and maybe had another update that corrected the issue.
    In Canada, we get the Android updates later than the US, so if there was a bug with the last system update, we might not get it for a while, but I'd rather wait for the update then have to spend a lot of time reloading all the updates after a hard factory reset, if a fix is out there, and I just have to wait for a brief time. I don't know if this is a local issue, Canada wide, or possibly International...Who knows? Like I said, it's early on, so maybe it just hasn't happened in mass yet...Not sure.

Thanks!
    Last edited by we die young; 04.20.17 at 10:28 AM.

Baluchitherium
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Respect my Wind
    Last Online

08.20.17 @ 09:17 PM
    Liked 1,102 Times in 629 Posts

One of my phones in use is an S3 and the only issue I have with it is battery related but other than that its flawless. I turned off the upload manager and my battery life tripled. Also, i turn off the digital network option at night and it maybe will use 3 percent overnight.

3. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Sinner's Swing!
    Last Online

Yeah...I do the same things. Turn off my network and WiFi at night....Always have. This thing has been great overall. The battery life has still remained quite good since I've had it. This set of issues though. Very strange that an update would cause them to go this haywire.
    Really pissed that my tablet is affected as well. It's a real lifeline for quick access to business files.
    I've backed everything up now, and will do the hard resets tonight. I was just a bit concerned by how hot these batteries got. (not to mention that my devices may be severely damaged by whatever is going on) It was almost like a dead short! Both phone and tablet got hot, and my bosses as well got so hot, he said it actually smelled like something was burning on it. I should mention that as my tablet screen was flickering, you could actually here an electrical kind of pinging as it did so. I'm assuming this is what caused the battery to snuff out so fast.
    Very odd situation. I've never run into anything like this on Android.
    Last edited by we die young; 04.20.17 at 01:19 PM.

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen/ADKOT
    Favorite VH Song

Hot For Teacher
    Last Online

08.20.17 @ 05:22 PM
    Liked 1,826 Times in 918 Posts

I've got a Galaxy S3 and haven't had any problems with battery life. I've been getting some crappy pop-ups on some sites that basically force me to close Chrome and go back to the website and I've also had some lag issues, but other than that nothing out of the normal.
    CNN may think my opinion matters, but you shouldn't.

Sinner's Swing!
    Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by bsbll4 View Post
    I've got a Galaxy S3 and haven't had any problems with battery life. I've been getting some crappy pop-ups on some sites that basically force me to close Chrome and go back to the website and I've also had some lag issues, but other than that nothing out of the normal.
    Yeah......The popups have gotten real bad on Android in general. Well.....Good to know you guys have not had any problems so far. I wonder if this was just a relatively local update by certain carriers? Since I started this thread this morning, my wife called me, and told me her Sister's SIII just died today as well. Same as my bosses though....She took it in ,and it's fried. She just picked up the S6.
    Something very strange going on. The running joke around here with my boss is that Samsung maybe got tired of supporting the old platforms, so they hit the Big Red Button to kill off all the old shit.

Eruption
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

I'm The One
    Last Online

08.21.17 @ 01:16 AM
    Liked 603 Times in 332 Posts

Premium Member

A few phones back I had an S2 and that happened a couple of times. Turned out it was an app that had gone rogue and was sucking all the battery. Took a long time to work out which one, and after deleting it, all was fine.

My wife currently has an S7 and she reports no problems. She's had it a bit over a year now.

Eruption
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

I'm The One
    Last Online

08.21.17 @ 01:16 AM
    Liked 603 Times in 332 Posts

Premium Member

Regarding popups, I'm not in the US but haven't had any, or heard about any popups here. It's probably a carrier thing rather than an Android thing.

Baluchitherium
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Respect my Wind
    Last Online

08.20.17 @ 09:17 PM
    Liked 1,102 Times in 629 Posts

I think it is a carrier thing, I dont have too many pop ups. The battery drain is probably all the google shit, as soon as I disabled the download manager it all stopped.

Sinner's Swing!
    Last Online

*UPDATE:

Hey all.
    Ok...So after attempting a data wipe (to remove any unwanted previous system update garbage) on my phone, and getting an error message several times, I took it to my local repair center.

He went into the operation system, and found that the latest update, as well as residual components from a previous update or two were the problem.

Long story short, these update components were causing severe clashes with each other.
    He removed them, and reinstalled the latest update, and it works like brand new.....It also freed up over 3 gigs of space that they were occupying.

Went home with some instructions for my tablet, and the same thing happened. Works super fast now, and freed up tons of memory, and everything is perfect. Battery life is amazing compared to the past month too.

He said in the past three weeks, he's had over 70 devices brought to him with system issues since this update came out, so he just told me to take the devices off auto updater, and make sure as soon as I get any new updates installed, to do a data wipe, and it should be fine.

Apparently when these units are set to auto, and the old updates are replaced automatically, there's always some artifacts left over, and the longer you leave it, some of this existing data gets partially overwritten which causes these errors, and conflicts when the system accesses components that carry the same names as the previous update. Basically it accesses both files that will work in tandem, but when one is missing data, it goes out of sync, and screws everything up when they clash.

It totally explains why I was getting odd error messages, and also why my WiFi was so terrible, bumping out every few minutes, in addition to the battery, and call issues.

Glad it was relatively simple. The guy only charged 40 bucks which is cheap compared to what I would have to spend on new devices. He was saying he'd seen some major damage to some of the devices coming in from bulging batteries (from the charging/discharge problem), to fried logic boards.

Hopefully if any of you do eventually come across this problem, this post helps a little.

Like I said....I could get new devices, but they've both been exceptional, and I'm so used to them, I almost hate to replace them.