Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning & 1984
    Favorite VH Song

Girl Gone Bad
    Last Online

12.10.17 @ 08:25 PM
    Liked 106 Times in 43 Posts

There is a tremendous void in the hearts of many left by VH.

It's not just that people want to see or hear Eddie playing guitar or the void would have been filled with VHIII. It's not that people want so dearly to see the Hagar era hold up those 5150 Bosephus hand gestures while singing Wham Bam Amsterdam or Eddie would have tried 3 times with Sam over the last few years to make some music (which he didn't).

The void is what the original lineup brought to society in terms of attitude. It is what makes the word Van Halen not so much a noun, but a verb. To Van Halenize something clearly depicts a reckless abandon, a forgetting of the words, a party that extends for days, a carefree attitude, and a cheeseless environment.

It's amazing that groups like Bon Jovi just roll along like it's 1985 and no one calls them a nostalgia act. Aeorosmith keeps filling arenas year after year, and the void left by the best group out there, the ORIGINAL VH, is gapping wide open.

Funny, that same voiceless, vaudvillian (Dave) that can't buy his way into being taken seriously on his own is still acting EXACTLY how he did when VH was known as the greatest American Rock band, a legend if you will. People say Dave lost it, but this is EXACTLY how he was years ago. Van Halen lost it in 1985.

When VH was at the MTV 1996 Awards Ceremony, that obnoxious lack of control and respectless attitude was the event being Van Halenized. Eddie is no Don Henly. When he tries to be even his own fans don't give a shit about him. Even Beck thought it was cool that the original VH was Van Halenizing his moment. He was right.

Eddie has friends and family who ccasionally check these boards and you bet your ass, he knows what needs to be done in order to fill the void, and a Sam & Dave tour will not do it.

The void will be filled when we get a full ORIGINAL VH CD and tour. There is no other true Van Halenized way to make this happen.

Many, many, many other bands continue to make great music that fills their fans needs, it is obscene that the VH legacy has been driven down to the point it currently is, and I think we will eventually get that void fullfilled.

Here's to being Van Halenized in the future by Dave, Eddie, Alex and Michael!

[ August 17, 2002, 09:24 AM: Message edited by: Rocket ]

Favorite VH Album

All 7 with Dave
    Favorite VH Song

Hear About It Later
    Last Online

12.06.17 @ 03:05 PM
    Liked 147 Times in 87 Posts

Here here. [img]graemlins/thumb.gif[/img]

Eruption
    Favorite VH Album

A Different Kind of Truth
    Favorite VH Song

Girl Gone Bad
    Last Online

01.13.16 @ 05:43 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I am ready to be Van Halenized.

[img]graemlins/drunk.gif[/img]
    Staying Frosty

Last Online

12.13.11 @ 02:09 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

That makes four of us! [img]graemlins/thumb.gif[/img]

Top Of The World
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Why Can\'t This Be Love
    Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Beam me up to be Halenized...
    Right now, rock n' roll needs a swift kick in the...<br /><br />"Gimme a bottle o' anything... and a glazed donut... to go!"

Romeo Delight
    Favorite VH Album

fair warning
    Favorite VH Song

So this is love?
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Great post!!! Amen to that!!
    Lets Hope VH gets some Sensible Shoes that lead them back to Dave.

Little Dreamer
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

What an ignorant post
    "One thing about Eddie... when he has a guitar around his neck, he's not tryin' to bullshit anybody..." - Sammy Hagar, 2002

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning & 1984
    Favorite VH Song

Girl Gone Bad
    Last Online

Hey 4Leaf,

This may very well be an ignorant post. Please let us know why you feel that way and we can discus it.

Here's to being Van Halenized in the future, by Dave, Ed, Al and Mike.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Last Online

01.15.14 @ 05:39 AM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

That was a good bit of writing! You have presented your opinion well, however there are millions who went to the shows and had very good times after Dave quit the only band he's ever been in that really matters.

It wasn't some leftover Dave-era nostalgia that fuelled Van Halen's success until they produced the debacle that III became. Van Halen's popularity endured through the grunge movement when many of their musical ilk suffered spectacular and quick failures. Make no mistake: Van Halen with Sammy Hagar was a GREAT band.

I still prefer the Dave era because of the songwriting and the edge that the music had, but there was a perspective to the music of the Sam era that was not presented in the Dave era. Dave has shown himself to be able to write good lyrics on many occasions but even I as a big fan am forced to admit that his topicality is severely limited. He intentionally limits himself to appeal to the fans and in my opinion that's too bad. He's a very well spoken guy and I'm sure he could really explore some issues well, it's just not what he chooses to do, y'know?

The latest FHM interview makes it abundantly clear to the reader that Dave understands his image - he understands how his character is percieved and how to act upon those perceptions. In a way that's too bad too. I mean, sooner or later the guy who always comes to your parties and walks around with the lampshade on his head gets BOORING. Enter Sam..he couldn't have come at a better time for Van Halen.

There is the sense of reckless abandon you discuss in the music of the Sam era too. This was a band, after all, that had the guy who wrote "I can't Drive 55" as their lead singer. People like to pretend that the Sam era was all ballads but some of those who were there remember things differently.

And to re-emphasize, I greatly enjoy BOTH eras and those who infer that one should be forced to CHOOSE one over the other are beng ridiculously obnoxious socially and are exhibiting the kind of close mindedness that starts petty "wars" and breeds personal misunderstanding (roftards). If the Dave-Only fans want to have some silly online war because of their taste in music they should GO FOR IT but don't be upset when many here refuse to play along. And they shouldn't infer that we're all exclusively Sammy fans either, because that's simply not true.

As for me, I'll continue to reserve my musical ire for certain Duran Duran songs and most modern rap, thanks. Oh and Bob Seger...hell for me would be a Van Halen led by Bob Seger.

bk
    A headless body in a topless bar...

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning & 1984
    Favorite VH Song

Girl Gone Bad
    Last Online

Bad K -

Many good points there, and I admit, Van Hagar was not a bad band. In my opinion they were very good, not great, but very good group. I had a girlfriend who hated VH with Roth. When Hagar came in she started to love them because of Dreams and Love Walks In. Her other favorites were....Survivor, Air Supply, The Carpenters, Ah Ha, and Harry Chapin. With Sammy, VH suddenly was added to her list.

Honestly, Sammy gets major nods for keeping the ball rolling and for brining VH to different musical areas where they could not go with Roth. The closest thing to a ballad that Dave would get involved in would be, "I'll Wait". It is not in Dave's "VH" library to do so. Hey, his "Coconut Grove" stuff, whatever, but he decided that VH would not go there with him involved in the writing process. I think Eddie has a Top 40 itch in him that occasionally he likes to scratch, and Sammy, not Dave is willing to go there. "That's What Dreams Are Made Of".

I LOVE the art that Roth brings to the group. His VH lyrics are totally from left field. Honestly, are there any writers on this board who would write a song called "Panama" and expect it to be a huge success? How do you write a great song called "panama"! Dave's craftsmanship leads VH down some very unique trails. Saay what people will about his voice, looks, spandex, hair or not, no one else on the planet will offer that art to the VH mix and I feel that, that is the void left open by the original VH.

ps.. Thanks for keeping this conversation a conversation.

[ August 18, 2002, 09:26 AM: Message edited by: Rocket ]

Favorite VH Album

All of them
    Favorite VH Song

Girl Gone Bad, Hang 'em High
    Last Online

11.28.17 @ 10:56 AM
    Liked 2,848 Times in 1,230 Posts

Premium Member
    I have made very few posts regarding Van Halen "speculation," but this one really hits home for some reason.

This past week, I have been getting the chills listening to Van Halen I. I live here in San Francisco and while riding the bus full of tourists, VH 1 was just cranking through my headphones. At one point I just felt like jumping up and breaking something. Eddie's almost perfect riffs and fills with Al's beat. Dave being Dave. And Mike's vocals. God, does it get any better?

Anyway, with this said, I want to say that the thought of being Van Halenized by a couple of guys reaching and into their 50's is not really something that appeals to me anymore. Personally, I wish that it was 1977 (even though that is when I was born) and we could hear VH1 fresh off the radio again. Van Halen did a tremendous job staying relevant to people for years. When we look back, we are going to see many different faces on the Van Halen name and I truely believe that history is going to look very kindly on them.

My void comes in two forms. Eddie hiding and doing nothing just leaves a hole in my musical heart. His personal life isn't my business, but my musical world needs Eddie. Personally, I'd like to see him move on with the "non-commercial" and experimental aspect of his career and write what makes him happy. I remember him saying that he loved Peter Gabriel. I think those two have more in common than most people think and would be capable of doing amazing projects together. Maybe the delay on Gabriels album and Eddie's silence recently...ah never mind!

Anyway, The void that you are talking about in the music world is true. But I think that the only ones that can fill that are a couple of twenty something guys WHO ACTUALLY CAN PLAY THEIR INSTRUMENTS and have that reckless abandon to their music. The ultimate tribute to Van Halen would be to see the person/people that could come in and pick up where they left off. Not in terms of sound, but in terms of the things that made classic Van Halen the greatest ever: Attitude, incredible musicianship, showmanship and a few beer cans laying on the ground...

Cheers all, do know that I would kill for any incranation of Van Halen right about now. Shit, I'd even be thrilled if Gary came back! Eddie, are you out there? Please play music again!!!

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning & 1984
    Favorite VH Song

Girl Gone Bad
    Last Online

Wow..What an amsome reply Mr. Fable.

I personally still love getting the crap kicked out of me by Townshend at a Who concert, Stones concert, Aerosmith concert.

If VH with Roth did an album and tour yes it would be a touch nostalgic, but I think the energy of the real deal performing old and new catalog would feel fantastic.

Agreed that we should not fool ourselves into thinking we are at the forefront of Pop music, but a tour with Roth would certainly fill a huge void left over 15 years ago...for me anyway.

[ August 18, 2002, 10:25 AM: Message edited by: Rocket ]

Favorite VH Album

All of them
    Favorite VH Song

Girl Gone Bad, Hang 'em High
    Last Online

11.28.17 @ 10:56 AM
    Liked 2,848 Times in 1,230 Posts

Premium Member
    Good point, Rocket. The Who and the Stones really did kick the crap out of people for years. I would debate that Aerosmith is kicking the crap out of people, but that is beside the point .

But there is one thing that is inherant in all these bands (Stones, The Who) that Van Halen (with Dave) would need to go through. And that is change. My fear is that if Van Halen got back together with Dave is that it would be a one and done deal. They would have to be extra careful to avoid trying to fit a square peg into a round hole and let the music go where it may. In other words Dave has to stretch his current boundries a little farther, IMO. I really like Me Wise Magic for that reason. It was a stretch for Dave, but he did a great job in the end. Granted, these are very far from absolute statements and just little apprehensions. I think Eddie has these same thoughts right now and that is why nothing has happened in 3 - 6 years.

With all this said, if VH said, "Dave's in we have a record coming out in January," it would take ever ounce of my being to keep from defecating my shorts!

Hot For Teacher
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Last Online

01.02.15 @ 09:39 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Rocket,
    That was a fantastic post, Eddie surely has to know the world is waiting and wanting to hear some new music out of him. I'm willing to bet he has some flunky printing out the posts on this board and reads them with his Frosted Fruity O's every morning. He knows how we feel. Does he actually give a shit though is the question.

Romeo Delight
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

it isnt ignorant at all. I too am ready to be Halenized and I was tonight at the Sam/Dave tour. I though am a Sam fan and wait for VH 2.0 to once again take flight