03.24.20 @ 08:57 PM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by garbeaj View Post
    A vintage Uni-Vibe?
    Garbeaj, you're going to reach through the internet and strangle me....

Around 1993, I was working at a local music store as a guitar clerk. Some guy brought in a couple of old pedals, when he returned his rental gear. One of the pedals was an original script logo MXR Phase 90. Beat to hell, yet fully functional. My boss at the time gave it to me for free, as he didn't think it would fetch much $$$ next to the newer shinier pedals on the display counter.

So I had one of the originals for a while, FOC, and because it didn't cost me a penny, I later (stupidly) gave it to a former bandmate - never to be seen again!
    Ouch. That hurt to type...

2. garbeaj thanked for this post.
    Top Of The World
    Posts Per Day
    Last Online

05.20.20 @ 05:16 AM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Premium Member
    Achievements:
    Padawan PraiserSupremely-LikedVHLinks Proud!25,000 VHL Life PointsKnight Of Da Roundtable

Quote Originally Posted by we die young View Post
    True story.
    Of all the other pedals I own going back some 30+ yrs. and that I've only bought once BTW, and NEVER had an issue with, I have now owned 6 MXR Phase 90's going back from around 1990. Sadly, I've come to the conclusion that they are somewhat disposable for some reason. I used to think I just had shit luck with them, but I've heard of so many issues over the years....Don't know why. People love their sound, me included, but maybe the key to "that" sound makes them less robust? Dunno.
    Seriously, I've got corpses of them laying around the house with parts I've canibalized from them (Buttons, knobs, jack sockets, etc.) for other stuff that I may be able to use them for.

I don't know what it is about them and their tendency to fail. I've not experienced the high pitch thing you describe... that's a new one to me, but 3 of my 90's era ones developed a very audible thump on each sweep that started out fairly minor and audible when you'd stop playing, but got progressively worse as time went on, to being audible above your playing, and eventually just stopped working alltogether. I was told on the first one that did that, that alkaline batteries might have been the problem, so I switched to the old style heavy duty Mallory's on suggestion from some forum members on another site. (I think MJ who used to frequent the Links also gave me that suggestion).
    No difference. My most recent 3...2 of them had the thump right out of the box, again this time only ever using HD Mallory's, and the one EVH 90 I bought (thinking it must be better) was fine for about 2 yrs. but then you'd press the switch, and the effect would not click on...Just this huge hum.

Good luck with yours. I did send the third one I had bought back to Dunlop a couple times being fed up with them crapping out, and they fixed it the first time. It happened again, and under warranty, they replaced it, but it eventually failed, so I guess I've technically had 7 of them really.
    Dunlop are great to deal with, but you shouldn't have to. They've had so many years to fix these issues. I've never had an issue with any other electronic problem with Dunlop/MXR/Crybaby products.
    It's a real mystery to me.
    I had a couple of the Zakk Wylde 90s that I found on clearance for $40 brand new. They both did the "thump" heartbeat thing. It sucked because I really liked the sound but that thump was too noticeable at gigging levels. I sold them both. The phase 90 I have now I got used and dude said its stock but it is modded somehow by a previous owner. Its very subtle sounding compared to the standard 90. Its the only pedal I use aside from a noise gate. I hope it never craps out like yours did. That pedal is instant VH1.

4. we die young thanked for this post.
    Banned!

Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

All of them
    Favorite VH Song

DTNA, 5150
    Last Online

02.12.20 @ 03:09 AM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

So to give an update when I got home last night I took everything apart; prayed; and went back at it. I first tried just going guitar - pedal - amp and it was fine.

Then I started reconstructing my set-up pedal by pedal and after each addition to the chain I would hook up to check....no issues.

Finally got everything back to EXACTLY how it was and......no issues. WTF?!?!?

I believe it was potentially due to some major interference; considering I work with that everyday for 16+ years I should have known better but that is the fun of the science; you learn something new daily.

It seems for now all is well; I also wonder if by cycling the Phaser on and off so many times if the switch was stuck......happens with these true bypass types utilizing a DPDT switch.

6. we die young thanked for this post.
    Bullethead
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Favorite VH Song

Light IN The Sky
    Last Online

07.02.20 @ 02:05 PM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    Padawan PraiserVeteranWell-Liked5,000 VHL Life Points

Nice! Happy it worked for you!

Banned!

Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Panama
    Last Online

03.24.20 @ 08:57 PM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Premium Member

Right on!
    It's cool reading those kinds of happy ending stories related to gear issues.
    Stuff isn't cheap, and it's frustrating when a piece doesn't perform as it should, so I'm glad it worked out for you.

I'm The One
    Posts Per Day
    Last Online

10.13.19 @ 02:06 PM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

A vintage Uni-Vibe?
    Not sure how "vintage" it is. Lol! It's a reissue of sorts I'm sure... It has "Univox" on it. No idea when it was made, and the serial # tag is long gone. I got it second hand. Pretty big cast box, and came with a pedal, but I had to replace it as the pedal rocker shaft mount was broken, and I couldn't get it back together. I tried brazing it, but the metal kept falling away with the heat. I used an old volume pedal, and retrofitted the Univibe guts over to the other. It works fine. I was told I could have left the volume pedal guts in, but for some reason the pedal worked in reverse. You had to roll all the way forward to cancel the effect. Maybe I crossed the wiring in experimenting at first, but that's what happened when I was monkeying around with it the first time.
    It basically looks like this

Mine has a footswitch and a manual speed control under the fuse location though, and the switch engages the effect on and off instead of relying soley on the pedal which from what I understand, you roll back and it cancels the effect out. Not sure if this was factory, or if someone modded it because of the broken pedal.
    Definitely does NOT have silent switching. You click it over between chorus and vibrato, and you can here the effect kick over with a brief pop, and a intermittent drop in sound as it engages, but I'm told that's how the original circuit was too when making changes on the buttons. I've opened it up, and it's all point to point...Not modern style boards with all the micronized parts. I really love that thing to be honest. I was actually jamming Machine Gun with it last night. So cool sounding. It's a great pedal, and built like a brick shithouse. Heavy, and takes up a lot of real estate on my pedal board, but for that classic Hendrix vibe, it does very well, but if you spend some time, and set it right, you can get remarkably close to the '90. It has that grit the '90 has...The only thing is you've gotta slow the sweeps a tad more, or that phase shift at the top end of the sweep is too pronounced.

It's no MXR Phase 90 though. I was at a real boutique-ish music shop a couple years ago, and they had a lot of classic vintage gear, but they wanted an absolute arm and leg for most of the stuff. I really wanted to pick up an original vintage Phase 90 because those things were built like tanks, but they wanted $375 bucks for it, and it wasn't in real good shape. Cool nonetheless.
    Iv'e got a real old Morley Flanger (that was essentially exactly the same internally as the MXR) That is great sounding, but out of curiosity, an original MXR Flanger had a $799 price tag on it, and again...It had seen better days!
    This was a couple years ago when the Canadian dollar was much closer to the Greenback, so a bit rich for my blood.
    I mean, I get that some of these things are pretty sought after, and ones that aren't beat to shit by now are pretty rare, but I couldn't justify it.
    On the other hand..... To date, I've spent about 600 bucks over the years replacing fuckin' modern Phase 90's at around 100 bucks a pop!
    Maybe that $375 would have been the last I put into them? Who knows? All relative I guess.
    Last edited by we die young; 02.22.17 at 09:15 AM.

10. garbeaj thanked for this post.
    Runnin' With The Devil
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

Van Halen
    Last Online

06.18.20 @ 09:24 AM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    Padawan PraiserVeteranWell-Liked15,000 VHL Life Points

You have an original Shin-Ei Uni-Vibe like mine...it is worth between $2,200 and $2,500.

I paid $250 for mine in 1988:

There are some dead accurate recreations that are now being made in Austin by a company called Honey...you can get exact reproductions of the housing and everything. You can buy a replacement pedal for yours that is identical to the original...

Take care of that thing!
    Last edited by garbeaj; 02.22.17 at 10:51 AM.

12. we die young thanked for this post.
    Runnin' With The Devil
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

Van Halen
    Last Online

06.18.20 @ 09:24 AM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    Padawan PraiserVeteranWell-Liked15,000 VHL Life Points

Quote Originally Posted by RRvh1 View Post
    Garbeaj, you're going to reach through the internet and strangle me....

Around 1993, I was working at a local music store as a guitar clerk. Some guy brought in a couple of old pedals, when he returned his rental gear. One of the pedals was an original script logo MXR Phase 90. Beat to hell, yet fully functional. My boss at the time gave it to me for free, as he didn't think it would fetch much $$$ next to the newer shinier pedals on the display counter.

So I had one of the originals for a while, FOC, and because it didn't cost me a penny, I later (stupidly) gave it to a former bandmate - never to be seen again!
    Ouch. That hurt to type...
    Wow...I paid $20 for mine at a pawn shop back in the late 80s. Sad to hear yours disappeared!

Banned!

Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

All of them
    Favorite VH Song

DTNA, 5150
    Last Online

02.12.20 @ 03:09 AM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by RRvh1 View Post
    Right on!
    It's cool reading those kinds of happy ending stories related to gear issues.
    Stuff isn't cheap, and it's frustrating when a piece doesn't perform as it should, so I'm glad it worked out for you.
    Thanks man...I am pleased also!

15. we die young thanked for this post.
    I'm The One
    Posts Per Day
    Last Online

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

You have an original Shin-Ei Uni-Vibe like mine...it is worth between $2,200 and $2,500.

I paid $250 for mine in 1988:

There are some dead accurate recreations that are now being made in Austin by a company called Honey...you can get exact reproductions of the housing and everything. You can buy a replacement pedal for yours that is identical to the original...

Take care of that thing!
    Wow! Actually, I was sure mine was a reissue. The guy I bought it from said it was, but if it is original, then that's awesome. He didn't know a whole lot about them (like me), and it was brought in on a trade at some point. I didn't pay much more than you for mine...Think it was closer to 3 bills, but I got mine some years after you, so I guess I'm lucky. I know they've gone through the roof price wise. It's insane.
    The body on mine is kind of an army olive drab sort of color. (yours looks a little browner...(but maybe it's just on my monitor here at work). Maybe it was repainted? You paid pretty much the same as me, but then that was because the assumption was it was a reissue. If original, then the footswitch, and manual speed control were definitely add-ons by someone. They work perfectly well though, and the placement looks bone stock. It would probably hurt the value, but I don't plan on selling it...Ever!

I do also have the Dunlop version with the stainless body shell. It sounds pretty identical to be honest. It has a "vintage" switch much like the EVH Phase 90 has the "script" button which is handy.
    On high gain, I leave it in the normal position to cut through a little more, but on my Marshalls, which are more crunchy, I always engage the vintage button. Just sounds a bit less aggressive. This thing though....I just love the way it looks. It's got that funky old purpose built military spec thing going on. It ain't pretty, but sounds beautiful!
    Good to know about the replacement pedals being available. Mine works fine, but for the vintage look, I may consider it at some point.
    Last edited by we die young; 02.22.17 at 11:50 AM.

I'm The One
    Posts Per Day
    Last Online

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by rvk5150 View Post
    So to give an update when I got home last night I took everything apart; prayed; and went back at it. I first tried just going guitar - pedal - amp and it was fine.

Then I started reconstructing my set-up pedal by pedal and after each addition to the chain I would hook up to check....no issues.

Finally got everything back to EXACTLY how it was and......no issues. WTF?!?!?

I believe it was potentially due to some major interference; considering I work with that everyday for 16+ years I should have known better but that is the fun of the science; you learn something new daily.

It seems for now all is well; I also wonder if by cycling the Phaser on and off so many times if the switch was stuck......happens with these true bypass types utilizing a DPDT switch.
    You know...That may be very possible. Switches can get stuck internally. Like I said...With my EVH 90, It had a loud grounding hum, and clicking the switch did nothing, but then I also didn't have it set to "script" when it originally happened. Just overbearing hum. I can't remember if I tried clicking the script button on and off...I'm sure I did.
    With the different circuit in the EVH 90 with the script button, maybe a sticky switch could be causing this high pitch another poster said had happened with his EVH model.
    Last edited by we die young; 02.22.17 at 12:00 PM.

Romeo Delight

Posts Per Day
    Last Online

01.23.20 @ 09:46 AM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Premium Member

I recently brought an evh flanger and the speed knob intermittently gets stuck at full speed. The evh button overrides the knobs but is a bit too strong of an effect. The seller on reverb refunded 75 of the 125 that I paid for it. I thought about getting it fixed. Dunlop will fix it for 75 bucks. I just went out and brought a brand new one. The internals look a little different. Must have made some changes. It sucks buying something used to save money and then having a problem. At least new you are covered.