Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
    Favorite VH Album

The Magnificent 7
    Last Online

05.23.17 @ 01:51 PM
    Liked 9,330 Times in 5,065 Posts

Premium Member

Default Joy Villa Is Just The First Wave Of The New Conservative Counterculture

by Milo

15 Feb 2017

For at least a year now, I’ve been telling everyone who will listen that being right-wing is the new counterculture, the new punk, an act of rebellion in an era of political correctness, safe spaces, multiculturalism and globalism. Joy Villa’s surge to fame after shocking the Grammys with a pro-Trump dress has proven me right again.
    Villa’s politics don’t seem particularly radical or dangerous — certainly nothing on the level of, say anarchist punk rockers. “For me, I voted for Trump, and a lot of my friends did as well,” says Villa. And we felt like we had to be closeted, we had to be quiet about it, or we would face a backlash, and bullying.”

“I just got tired of the narrative of hate — you’re a racist, you’re a bigot, you’re this, you’re that, people losing jobs all because they voted for a now-elected President. [With] this dress, I was hoping to make a statement, some small little statement about unity, togetherness, and supporting our President as one unified country.”

Like me, all Villa wants is more room for free speech, free thought, and political tolerance. With views like that, it’s only a matter of time before the left start calling her a Nazi. And therein lies the source of her success: a mild call for more freedom and tolerance is, in an age of stultifying censorship from the progressive left, considered shocking and unusual.

The reason punk rock shocked the world is because no-one else dared say what they said, or dress like they dressed. The dyed mohawks, pierced faces and studded, thuggish leather jackets were profoundly unsettling to a society that still balked at long hair and flared jeans. I still balk at long hair and flared jeans of course, but only because it looks atrocious.

Compare that cultural climate to today’s. Are dyed hair and piercings offensive? Leather jackets? Anti-imperialism? Feminism?

No, of course not. Everyone from state governments to Goldman Sachs panders to feminist orthodoxy these days. Ask yourself what would cause more outrage today: a CEO saying they are a feminist, or a CEO saying they aren’t?

Lady Gaga caused rumbles of discontent at the Super Bowl for failing to deliver a widely expected anti-Trump statement. Leftists have become so accustomed to celebrity pandering to them that even avoiding politics altogether is seen by some as an act of betrayal.

Once you understand that, Joy Villa’s success is easy to understand. She could have played it safe, following the example of Meryl Streep, J.K Rowling and other anti-Trump celebrities, and remain unnoticed. What she did instead was remain true to her values, and as a result commanded the attention of the world last Sunday. Like the punk rockers, she dared to do what no-one else would, and reaped the benefits.

Celebrities today act edgy, but restrict themselves to utterly safe belief systems. There can be no better example of this than Madonna’s speech at the Women’s March, where she casually suggested someone bomb the White House. Outrageous, yes, but also an entirely unsurprising sentiment at a time of left-wing panic and hyperbole.

It was a ruse: she wanted to sound dangerous while actually buying into the safest opinions you can have. What a comedown from the Madonna of the Erotica album and the Sex book.

Social justice has turned previously interesting, funny celebrities into dull, unoriginal clones who regularly embarrass themselves in fits of political hysteria. Witness Sarah Silverman, who was funny before she contracted feminism, once cracking jokes about gays, Jews and Hispanics with abandon, now seeing swastikas in road construction markings and throwing a fit on Twitter. Or Madonna’s claim that Camille Paglia criticized her for “sexually objectifying” herself (Paglia’s position is more or less the exact opposite).

Villa found herself surprised by the positive response to her dress. On Fox, she explained that people at the Grammys told her in hushed voices “I voted for him [Trump] too.”

Villa’s experience on the web was much the same. “Honestly, I’ve had so many overwhelming responses of love and support, I haven’t even been able to read the negative comments.” But despite her focus on the positive, Villa acted bravely. She knew she’d be attacked, perhaps even physically, and she must surely have realized how many doors will now slam shut in her face in the entertainment industry.

The fact that so many other people at the Grammys quietly admitted to supporting Trump reveals the pickle that celebrities have got themselves into. By allowing leftist virtue-signalling to run wild, they are now unable to admit to voting the same way as half the country, as well as a sizeable chunk of their own fans. This is an absurd position to be in, and it’s all because celebrities have allowed political intolerance to spread unchecked.

Some of the braver liberal comedians — Jerry Seinfeld, Chris Rock, and even Tina Fey — have spoken out against the dangers of political correctness.

Villa’s success should be a signal to other pro-Trump celebrities, artists, and entertainers: it’s not just safe to come out of the closet, it’s beneficial. The grandees of showbiz might hate you, but an army of rebels, renegades, and deplorables in the public will rally to your side. None of this is news to me, of course — in June of 2015, I called it the “law of Heckle Shekels”.

Chadwick Moore, a gay journalist from New York who recently came out as a conservative, has discovered the same untapped market. Subjected to months of shunning, bullying, and cold-shouldering from his former liberal friends after he profiled me in Out magazine, Moore has now found in conservatism a much bigger, more appreciative and perhaps even larger audience.

Keep in mind Chadwick Moore is a gay man and Joy Villa is a black woman. The man who designed Villa’s dress is a gay Filipino immigrant. All, then, come from constituencies that the left believes it owns, and both work in fields that the left consider their home turf. But if lone rebels like them can make such an impact so quickly, something tells me that dominance is in peril.

The left’s seething outrage at the sight of their formerly loyal voting blocs turning on them will be delicious to watch during the Trump presidency. Fox news has for years defied its critics with shows like Outnumbered, that feature women and minorities trampling on political correctness on a daily basis.

We are about to see dissident minorities all across America rise up and rub the left’s nose in their failure. They know, as we do, that left-wing taboos and language codes don’t protect minorities, they coddle them. Already abandoned by their old white-working class base, the left’s next humiliation will be the rebellion of their vaunted “rainbow coalition.”

Villa now says that she wants to go to the White House, meet President Trump, and sing for him wearing her MAGA dress. I hope Daddy makes it happen.

http://www.breitbart.com/milo/2017/0...unter-culture/
     "He has a swaggering retro machismo that will give hives to the Steinem cabal" -Camille Paglia on Donald Trump

"Make way for the bad guy"- Tony Montana

'This hamburger don't need no helper"- David Lee Roth

"I wish Bon Jovi would've given me a call before he recorded all of his hits, because the lyrics would've been smarter, the melodies would've been much more smashing, and they would've sold a lot fewer records." -David Lee Roth

"My beef is people thinking Bon Jovi is good cuz they sold lots of records to housewives." -tango

"But being number one doesn’t really mean jack fuck all. We sold twice as many records as other records that year (1984) that landed in the Number One position." ~Eddie Van Halen

2. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Baluchitherium
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Respect my Wind
    Last Online

05.23.17 @ 07:00 AM
    Liked 1,063 Times in 611 Posts

I welcome it and her, death to political dynasties, career politicians and establishment politics.

4. The Following 2 Members Like This Post:

Favorite VH Album

Women and Children First
    Favorite VH Song

Everybody Wants Some!!
    Last Online

05.23.17 @ 12:04 PM
    Liked 483 Times in 280 Posts

These stupid celebrities should keep their mouths shut when it comes to politics!

Except when they say something I agree with.

Oy

6. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Favorite VH Album

The Magnificent 7
    Last Online

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by TJENZ View Post
    These stupid celebrities should keep their mouths shut when it comes to politics!

Except when they say something I agree with.

Oy
    Really? Do you really not get it?
     "He has a swaggering retro machismo that will give hives to the Steinem cabal" -Camille Paglia on Donald Trump

"I wish Bon Jovi would've given me a call before he recorded all of his hits, because the lyrics would've been smarter, the melodies would've been much more smashing, and they would've sold a lot fewer records." -David Lee Roth

"My beef is people thinking Bon Jovi is good cuz they sold lots of records to housewives." -tango

"But being number one doesn’t really mean jack fuck all. We sold twice as many records as other records that year (1984) that landed in the Number One position." ~Eddie Van Halen

Favorite VH Album

Fair warning, 5150
    Favorite VH Song

HAIL, love walks in, 5150
    Last Online

@
    Liked 5,639 Times in 2,799 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by bklynboy68 View Post
    by Milo

15 Feb 2017

For at least a year now, I’ve been telling everyone who will listen that being right-wing is the new counterculture, the new punk, an act of rebellion in an era of political correctness, safe spaces, multiculturalism and globalism. Joy Villa’s surge to fame after shocking the Grammys with a pro-Trump dress has proven me right again.
    Villa’s politics don’t seem particularly radical or dangerous — certainly nothing on the level of, say anarchist punk rockers. “For me, I voted for Trump, and a lot of my friends did as well,” says Villa. And we felt like we had to be closeted, we had to be quiet about it, or we would face a backlash, and bullying.”

“I just got tired of the narrative of hate — you’re a racist, you’re a bigot, you’re this, you’re that, people losing jobs all because they voted for a now-elected President. [With] this dress, I was hoping to make a statement, some small little statement about unity, togetherness, and supporting our President as one unified country.”

Like me, all Villa wants is more room for free speech, free thought, and political tolerance. With views like that, it’s only a matter of time before the left start calling her a Nazi. And therein lies the source of her success: a mild call for more freedom and tolerance is, in an age of stultifying censorship from the progressive left, considered shocking and unusual.

The reason punk rock shocked the world is because no-one else dared say what they said, or dress like they dressed. The dyed mohawks, pierced faces and studded, thuggish leather jackets were profoundly unsettling to a society that still balked at long hair and flared jeans. I still balk at long hair and flared jeans of course, but only because it looks atrocious.

Compare that cultural climate to today’s. Are dyed hair and piercings offensive? Leather jackets? Anti-imperialism? Feminism?

No, of course not. Everyone from state governments to Goldman Sachs panders to feminist orthodoxy these days. Ask yourself what would cause more outrage today: a CEO saying they are a feminist, or a CEO saying they aren’t?

Lady Gaga caused rumbles of discontent at the Super Bowl for failing to deliver a widely expected anti-Trump statement. Leftists have become so accustomed to celebrity pandering to them that even avoiding politics altogether is seen by some as an act of betrayal.

Once you understand that, Joy Villa’s success is easy to understand. She could have played it safe, following the example of Meryl Streep, J.K Rowling and other anti-Trump celebrities, and remain unnoticed. What she did instead was remain true to her values, and as a result commanded the attention of the world last Sunday. Like the punk rockers, she dared to do what no-one else would, and reaped the benefits.

Celebrities today act edgy, but restrict themselves to utterly safe belief systems. There can be no better example of this than Madonna’s speech at the Women’s March, where she casually suggested someone bomb the White House. Outrageous, yes, but also an entirely unsurprising sentiment at a time of left-wing panic and hyperbole.

It was a ruse: she wanted to sound dangerous while actually buying into the safest opinions you can have. What a comedown from the Madonna of the Erotica album and the Sex book.

Social justice has turned previously interesting, funny celebrities into dull, unoriginal clones who regularly embarrass themselves in fits of political hysteria. Witness Sarah Silverman, who was funny before she contracted feminism, once cracking jokes about gays, Jews and Hispanics with abandon, now seeing swastikas in road construction markings and throwing a fit on Twitter. Or Madonna’s claim that Camille Paglia criticized her for “sexually objectifying” herself (Paglia’s position is more or less the exact opposite).

Villa found herself surprised by the positive response to her dress. On Fox, she explained that people at the Grammys told her in hushed voices “I voted for him [Trump] too.”

Villa’s experience on the web was much the same. “Honestly, I’ve had so many overwhelming responses of love and support, I haven’t even been able to read the negative comments.” But despite her focus on the positive, Villa acted bravely. She knew she’d be attacked, perhaps even physically, and she must surely have realized how many doors will now slam shut in her face in the entertainment industry.

The fact that so many other people at the Grammys quietly admitted to supporting Trump reveals the pickle that celebrities have got themselves into. By allowing leftist virtue-signalling to run wild, they are now unable to admit to voting the same way as half the country, as well as a sizeable chunk of their own fans. This is an absurd position to be in, and it’s all because celebrities have allowed political intolerance to spread unchecked.

Some of the braver liberal comedians — Jerry Seinfeld, Chris Rock, and even Tina Fey — have spoken out against the dangers of political correctness.

Villa’s success should be a signal to other pro-Trump celebrities, artists, and entertainers: it’s not just safe to come out of the closet, it’s beneficial. The grandees of showbiz might hate you, but an army of rebels, renegades, and deplorables in the public will rally to your side. None of this is news to me, of course — in June of 2015, I called it the “law of Heckle Shekels”.

Chadwick Moore, a gay journalist from New York who recently came out as a conservative, has discovered the same untapped market. Subjected to months of shunning, bullying, and cold-shouldering from his former liberal friends after he profiled me in Out magazine, Moore has now found in conservatism a much bigger, more appreciative and perhaps even larger audience.

Keep in mind Chadwick Moore is a gay man and Joy Villa is a black woman. The man who designed Villa’s dress is a gay Filipino immigrant. All, then, come from constituencies that the left believes it owns, and both work in fields that the left consider their home turf. But if lone rebels like them can make such an impact so quickly, something tells me that dominance is in peril.

The left’s seething outrage at the sight of their formerly loyal voting blocs turning on them will be delicious to watch during the Trump presidency. Fox news has for years defied its critics with shows like Outnumbered, that feature women and minorities trampling on political correctness on a daily basis.

We are about to see dissident minorities all across America rise up and rub the left’s nose in their failure. They know, as we do, that left-wing taboos and language codes don’t protect minorities, they coddle them. Already abandoned by their old white-working class base, the left’s next humiliation will be the rebellion of their vaunted “rainbow coalition.”

Villa now says that she wants to go to the White House, meet President Trump, and sing for him wearing her MAGA dress. I hope Daddy makes it happen.

http://www.breitbart.com/milo/2017/0...unter-culture/
    You know, some of these celebrities probably voted for trump but won't admit it for fear of being shunned.

And whoever said it is true, politics have no business in the entertainment industry. The way I see it is that there's a no win situation but divulging their political views in public is that they'll piss off half of their fan base by saying it. I mean freedom a speech and all that but I don't need Meryl Streep telling me her political beliefs. And truthfully I could care less what anyone thinks about their candidate. And it could cost the celebrity jobs. I know this isn't a super fair comparison but just look what happened to Mel Gibson and the Dixie chicks.

But I know politicians use celebrities to get votes. Everyone does it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Panama
    Last Online

05.20.17 @ 05:19 PM
    Liked 1,989 Times in 1,198 Posts

Who? oh yeah the chick who showed up nearly naked when she wore little more than orange construction fence last year

girl is thirsty but her album is finally selling. commerce and politics. maybe she could give Ivanka a tip or two

survivor of the Bowling Green Massacre 9-3-2016 BGSU 10 OSU 77

She was warned. She was given an explanation. Nevertheless, she persisted.

10. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Favorite VH Album

The Magnificent 7
    Last Online

Premium Member

Doesn't matter if she's a household name or not, she made a statement and rolled the dice with her career. You'd have to be a total jackass to think that this would endear you to an industry you work in that is so left that Stalin would be surprised. Why risk it? I don't know, maybe she believes in what she's saying? Millions in the country did on Nov. 8th.

How about her dress designer? A gay immigrant fashion designer who takes a stand against the majority of his industry. Certainly nobody thinks that would endear him to the industry.

Joy Villa's Pro-Trump Grammys Dress Designer Is an Immigrant

It's about bringing people together," says Andre Soriano.

The designer behind Joy Villa's "Make America Great Again" pro-Trump Grammys gown, Filipino immigrant Andre Soriano, tells THR that he is supportive of the new president despite his controversial immigration ban, and that the message of the dress was one of positivity.

"It’s more so about love," he said of the red, white and blue gown. "We all live on this planet. I’ve never been in the political area. However, it’s just so crazy that people are getting beat up because they voted for Trump, or this and that, someone wants to bomb the White House....I am an American, I moved here from the Philippines and I highly believed in the trueness of what this country can bring. It’s about bringing people together, that’s the message."

Soriano skirted questions regarding the meat of his political beliefs, but said he is proud American and believes that he is an example of the American Dream. He was first discovered on Rihanna's Bravo reality show, Styled to Rock, and launched his label in San Diego in 2013, selling ready-to-wear and red carpet looks online only. He is a naturalized citizen.

"There are a lot of people that are in power that really misconstrued what this country stands for," he said. "I love this country. I’m from the Philippine islands, I am a proud American. I really love this country. I am a minority, Joy is black. America is about immigrants."

He added of his relationship with Villa, "We’ve been working since the orange gown she wore two years ago, the fence dress. My husband is a contractor and we went to Home Depot and I saw that fabric….the look went viral."

Soriano has also outfitted Macy Gray, Courtney Love and Bai Long for red carpet events, but says he has a special relationship with Villa.

"I always channel Joy’s music as a designer -- we’re both artists and I love her so dearly," said Soriano. "She is one of the people on this planet that really promotes love. We need to move this country forward, and we believe it’s time to promote love. We only live once, and we need to promote love. We have one president now who is going to do the best thing for planet America."

As for the inspiration behind the pro-Trump dress, he says, "I heard that somebody wanted to bomb the White House. And then I saw the Women’s March... Joy Villa is all about love with her music. I’m like Joy, We have to make a statement on what is right for our country, of what we believe in, for the constitution."

This article was originally published by The Hollywood Reporter.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/new...migrant-975226

12. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Favorite VH Album

WOMEN AND CHILDREN FIRST/ADKOT
    Favorite VH Song

EVERYBODY WANTS SOME!!
    Last Online

05.23.17 @ 02:14 PM
    Liked 6,923 Times in 3,688 Posts

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by bklynboy68 View Post
    Doesn't matter if she's a household name or not, she made a statement and rolled the dice with her career. You'd have to be a total jackass to think that this would endear you to an industry you work in that is so left that Stalin would be surprised. Why risk it? I don't know, maybe she believes in what she's saying? Millions in the country did on Nov. 8th.

How about her dress designer? A gay immigrant fashion designer who takes a stand against the majority of his industry. Certainly nobody thinks that would endear him to the industry.

Joy Villa's Pro-Trump Grammys Dress Designer Is an Immigrant

It's about bringing people together," says Andre Soriano.

The designer behind Joy Villa's "Make America Great Again" pro-Trump Grammys gown, Filipino immigrant Andre Soriano, tells THR that he is supportive of the new president despite his controversial immigration ban, and that the message of the dress was one of positivity.

"It’s more so about love," he said of the red, white and blue gown. "We all live on this planet. I’ve never been in the political area. However, it’s just so crazy that people are getting beat up because they voted for Trump, or this and that, someone wants to bomb the White House....I am an American, I moved here from the Philippines and I highly believed in the trueness of what this country can bring. It’s about bringing people together, that’s the message."

Soriano skirted questions regarding the meat of his political beliefs, but said he is proud American and believes that he is an example of the American Dream. He was first discovered on Rihanna's Bravo reality show, Styled to Rock, and launched his label in San Diego in 2013, selling ready-to-wear and red carpet looks online only. He is a naturalized citizen.

"There are a lot of people that are in power that really misconstrued what this country stands for," he said. "I love this country. I’m from the Philippine islands, I am a proud American. I really love this country. I am a minority, Joy is black. America is about immigrants."

He added of his relationship with Villa, "We’ve been working since the orange gown she wore two years ago, the fence dress. My husband is a contractor and we went to Home Depot and I saw that fabric….the look went viral."

Soriano has also outfitted Macy Gray, Courtney Love and Bai Long for red carpet events, but says he has a special relationship with Villa.

"I always channel Joy’s music as a designer -- we’re both artists and I love her so dearly," said Soriano. "She is one of the people on this planet that really promotes love. We need to move this country forward, and we believe it’s time to promote love. We only live once, and we need to promote love. We have one president now who is going to do the best thing for planet America."

As for the inspiration behind the pro-Trump dress, he says, "I heard that somebody wanted to bomb the White House. And then I saw the Women’s March... Joy Villa is all about love with her music. I’m like Joy, We have to make a statement on what is right for our country, of what we believe in, for the constitution."

This article was originally published by The Hollywood Reporter.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/new...migrant-975226
    Liberals love women and gay minorities...as long as they're liberal.

14. The Following Member Likes This Post: