Favorite VH Album

The Magnificent 7
    Last Online

12.11.18 @ 03:23 AM
    Liked 14,892 Times in 8,432 Posts

Premium Member

Published 2 hours ago

·Last Update 1 hour ago

Huawei CFO Meng Wanzhou’s arrest may prompt China to retaliate, 'take hostages,' expert says

China could 'take hostages' and is almost certain to retaliate against the United States, experts say, after the stunning arrest of a top Chinese tech executive for allegedly trying to skirt sanctions on Iran.

Huawei Technologies' chief financial officer Meng Wanzhou was arrested Saturday in Canada and faces extradition to the U.S. Meng was taken into custody on behalf of the U.S. while she was transferring flights in Vancouver, the tech company said.

Chinese officials on Thursday blasted Meng's arrest — but experts warn more forceful actions, including the possibility of tit-for-tat detentions of high-profile citizens, could be coming.

James Lewis, the director of technology policy at the Center for Strategic and International Studies, told Axios the U.S. should be prepared for a backlash and warned American tech executives to steer clear of China for now.

"If I was an American tech executive, I wouldn't travel to China this week," warned Lewis, who labeled Huawei "one of the Chinese government's pet companies" and charged the communist country's leaders wouldn't be afraid to "take hostages."

Chinese foreign ministry spokesman Geng Shuang on Thursday called Meng’s arrest a violation of human rights and demanded the “immediate release” of the 46-year-old executive, who also goes by the name Sabrina.

“Detaining a person without providing an explanation has undoubtedly violated her human rights,” Geng said, adding the Chinese government “has made clear our solemn positions to the U.S. and Canada.”

Geng said the U.S. and Canada haven’t provided reasons for Meng's detention. But the Wall Street Journal reported in April that U.S. authorities were investigating whether Huawei violated sanctions on Iran, leading the Chinese government to appeal to Washington to avoid any steps that might have damaged business confidence.

Meng is the deputy chairman of the company’s board and the daughter of its founder, Ren Zhengfei, a former Chinese military engineer. Her stature in Chinese culture has been compared to American tech giants such as Steve Jobs or Mark Zuckerberg.

“Washington is attempting to damage Huawei's international reputation and taking aim at the tech giant's global market in the name of law,” the editorial stated. “The Chinese government should seriously mull over the U.S. tendency to abuse legal procedures to suppress China's high-tech enterprises. It should increase interaction with the U.S. and exert pressure when necessary. China has been exercising restraint, but the U.S. cannot act recklessly. U.S. President Donald Trump should rein in the hostile activities of some Americans who may imperil Sino-U.S. relations.”

Meng’s arrest and detention have only amplified the already-tense state of U.S.-China relations. Though Trump and Chinese President Xi Jinping announced a temporary truce in a tariffs war -- with Trump agreeing to suspend U.S. tariff hikes for a period -- a more permanent resolution is nowhere in sight. Trump and Xi have dug in on their respective positions and have mostly been waiting for the other party to blink. Neither has.

Huawei Technologies Ltd., the biggest global supplier of network gear used by phone and Internet companies, has previously been the target of U.S. security concerns. Under Trump and his predecessor, former President Barack Obama, Washington has pressured European countries and other allies to limit their business with Huawei, alleging the company's technology aids China's spy operations.

Huawei said in a statement Wednesday it has not been provided many details about Meng's arrest.

"The company has been provided very little information regarding the charges and is not aware of any wrongdoing by Ms. Meng," the statement said.

https://www.foxnews.com/world/china-...es-expert-says
     "He has a swaggering retro machismo that will give hives to the Steinem cabal" -Camille Paglia on Donald Trump

"But, fucking with Brook is like fucking with hot shit on and ax handle. You just don't get a grip"-track5

"Make way for the bad guy"- Tony Montana

'This hamburger don't need no helper"- David Lee Roth

"I wish Bon Jovi would've given me a call before he recorded all of his hits, because the lyrics would've been smarter, the melodies would've been much more smashing, and they would've sold a lot fewer records." -David Lee Roth

"My beef is people thinking Bon Jovi is good cuz they sold lots of records to housewives." -tango

"But being number one doesn’t really mean jack fuck all. We sold twice as many records as other records that year (1984) that landed in the Number One position." ~Eddie Van Halen

Favorite VH Album

like them all, no favourite
    Last Online

12.11.18 @ 05:06 AM
    Liked 9,467 Times in 5,314 Posts

This is a big story up here. Many have been critical of Canada making this arrest on America's behalf.

3. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Favorite VH Album

The Magnificent 7
    Last Online

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by It's Mike View Post
    This is a big story up here. Many have been critical of Canada making this arrest on America's behalf.

Huawei CFO Arrest is a ‘Declaration of War’ Says Editor of Global Times

6 Dec 2018

The arrest of a top Chinese technology executive by Canadian authorities acting at the behest of the United States is threatening to upend the Trump administration’s efforts to sustain a trade truce with China.

The arrest of Sabrina Meng, the chief financial officer of China’s largest mobile phone marker, has been condemned by Chinese officials, who are calling for her immediate release. The U.S. has reportedly requested Meng be extradited to New York, where she would reportedly face federal charges of violating Iran sanctions.

Hu Xijin, the editor in chief of the Global Times, described the arrest as a “declaration of war” against China, according to the New York Times. The Global Times is a state-run newspaper whose views are thought to reflect the ruling communist party in China. Hu’s comments were made on Weibo, a Twitter-like service, the New York Times reported.

“Without any solid evidence, the Canadian and US governments trampled on international law by basically ‘kidnapping’ Chinese citizen Meng,” an official with the Chinese Ministry of Commerce said in a Global Times op-ed. “The China-US trade row could become a protracted war.”

The Global TImes also reported, in a news story, that Chinese experts view the arrest as an intentional effort to “heat up the ongoing trade war.”

Although Meng and Huawei are not well-known in the U.S., the executive and her company are extremely high profile in China. Precise analogies are hard to come by but U.S. observers are making comparisons to well-known American executives.

“This is like China arresting Steve Jobs’ son,” Art Cashin said on CNBC.

Others have compared it to China arresting Sheryl Sandberg, the chief operating officer of Facebook.

Meng is the daughter of the company’s founder, Ren Zhengfei, and has recently become his presumed successor. Ren is a former Chinese military official who founded the company more than 30 years ago. It has become China’s premier global brand and it central to its “Made in China 2025” plan to dominate high-tech manufacturing. The company has been making a push to become the world leader in 5G technology and met with strong resistance from U.S. officials.

It is not clear whether President Donald Trump knew about the arrest in advance. The arrest was reportedly made on the same day that Trump and senior members of his administration were having dinner with their Chinese counterparts in Buenos Aires. After the dinner, the two nations announced they would pause any escalation of tariffs and resume trade negotiations for 90 days.

A source familiar with Justice Department procedures said it is unlikely the U.S. attorneys would have acted without consulting other agencies in pursuing the international arrest. U.S. national Security officials were aware of the arrest prior to the news breaking Wednesday evening, a different source said. It was not clear if they were aware of the arrest beforehand, however.

When the Trump administration blocked the merger of Qualcomm and Broadcom it singled out the risk that the deal would give Huawei an advantage in developing 5G technology.

Bloomberg quoted an analyst in China who sees the arrest as the result of the national security White House staff pushing back against the Wall Street-friendly China doves in the White House, led by Treasury Secretary Steven Mnuchin, who pushed for the trade truce.

“Their goal is to decouple with China,” said Wang Yong, a professor at the School of International Studies at Peking University. “Negotiations are the wish of Trump and Wall Street.”

https://www.breitbart.com/economy/20...-global-times/
     "He has a swaggering retro machismo that will give hives to the Steinem cabal" -Camille Paglia on Donald Trump

"But, fucking with Brook is like fucking with hot shit on and ax handle. You just don't get a grip"-track5

"I wish Bon Jovi would've given me a call before he recorded all of his hits, because the lyrics would've been smarter, the melodies would've been much more smashing, and they would've sold a lot fewer records." -David Lee Roth

"My beef is people thinking Bon Jovi is good cuz they sold lots of records to housewives." -tango

"But being number one doesn’t really mean jack fuck all. We sold twice as many records as other records that year (1984) that landed in the Number One position." ~Eddie Van Halen

Favorite VH Album

Alex, Dave, Ed and Mike
    Favorite VH Song

The songs with Ed on them
    Last Online

12.11.18 @ 05:07 AM
    Liked 22,817 Times in 11,478 Posts

Premium Member

What the fuck are we doing?

I am missing something, why are we arresting a Chinese businesswoman over Iran?
    Taylor Swift is nice to look at. Adele can sing.

Emperor Brett - "I can't believe you guys are analyzing song-by-song Van Halen III? What next, analyzing the script of Stroker Ace looking for some shred of Citizen Kane?"

David Lee Roth did the impossible. He made Van Halen better. Deal with it!

A man's rights rests in three boxes: the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box

Hurricane Halen - Let's all gingery touch our sword tips!!!

Favorite VH Album

like them all, no favourite
    Last Online

12.11.18 @ 05:06 AM
    Liked 9,467 Times in 5,314 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Dave's Dreidel View Post
    What the fuck are we doing?

I am missing something, why are we arresting a Chinese businesswoman over Iran?
    Her attorney applied and got a publication ban on the details of the arrest. Canada doesn't arrest foreign business people on a whim. I'm sure there's something to this.

Sent from blah blah using Tapatalk

Favorite VH Album

Alex, Dave, Ed and Mike
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by It's Mike View Post
    Her attorney applied and got a publication ban on the details of the arrest. Canada doesn't arrest foreign business people on a whim. I'm sure there's something to this.

Sent from blah blah using Tapatalk
    I have a client that I say likes to "manufacture crisis"...this seems to be one of those instances. Unless she killed somebody, this is probably a bad idea.

Emperor Brett - "I can't believe you guys are analyzing song-by-song Van Halen III? What next, analyzing the script of Stroker Ace looking for some shred of Citizen Kane?"

A man's rights rests in three boxes: the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box

Atomic Punk
    Last Online

12.10.18 @ 07:31 PM
    Liked 2,123 Times in 1,428 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Dave's Dreidel View Post
    I have a client that I say likes to "manufacture crisis"...this seems to be one of those instances. Unless she killed somebody, this is probably a bad idea.
    I agree. Why can't our stupid fucking government just stay out of shit?
    Michael Caine on Jaws: The Revenge:

"I have never seen it, but by all accounts it is terrible. However, I have seen the house that it built and it is terrific."

Samuel Johnson 1775 : “Patriotism is the last refuge of a scoundrel”

"McDonalds is The Antichrist" - Bill Hicks

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jSH6ofHbeUw

"See, if you look at the drug war from a purely economic point of view, the role of the government is to protect the drug cartel." - Economist Milton Friedman (1991)

Favorite VH Album

The Magnificent 7
    Last Online

Premium Member

Senior Hillary Adviser Has Meltdown At Fox News While Wearing No Pants

12:34 PM 11/28/2018

Philippe Reines, a former top adviser to Hillary Clinton, allegedly went on a pants-less, unhinged rant against a Trump campaign adviser at Fox News’ D.C. bureau on Tuesday night.

Harlan Hill, a member of the Trump 2020 advisory board, joined Reines for a segment on Fox Business Network about border wall funding and the General Motors layoffs.

Despite the relative tameness of the debate, Hill claimed Reines confronted him in the Fox bureau afterward “screaming like a maniac.”

Hill told The Daily Caller that Reines said, “You’re just as much of a jackass on TV as you are online” and that Hill needs to “stop hiding behind [FBN anchor Trish Regan’s] skirt.”

“We chirped back and forth, and he said, ‘You’re not half the debater you think you are.’ To which I said, ‘That’s probably the lamest, most D.C. diss I’ve ever heard,'” Hill told TheDC.

Reines allegedly followed Hill through the newsroom screaming, and Hill started snapping photos of Reines’ pants-less suit.

“Yeah, I know how I look. How about you wipe the pubic hair off your face?” Reines allegedly told Hill in response to his photo being taken.

Reines blocked several Daily Caller reporters on Twitter after they retweeted Hill’s account of the incident. According to an anonymous eyewitness, Reines did not wear pants during a recent appearance on Tucker Carlson’s Fox News program either.

The Daily Caller was unable to reach Reines for comment.

One of the most nasty and smug jackasses in Washington.

https://dailycaller.com/2018/11/28/p...an-hill-pants/

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Push comes to shove
    Last Online

12.09.18 @ 06:39 PM
    Liked 1,228 Times in 757 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by bklynboy68 View Post
    Senior Hillary Adviser Has Meltdown At Fox News While Wearing No Pants

12:34 PM 11/28/2018

Philippe Reines, a former top adviser to Hillary Clinton, allegedly went on a pants-less, unhinged rant against a Trump campaign adviser at Fox News’ D.C. bureau on Tuesday night.

Harlan Hill, a member of the Trump 2020 advisory board, joined Reines for a segment on Fox Business Network about border wall funding and the General Motors layoffs.

Despite the relative tameness of the debate, Hill claimed Reines confronted him in the Fox bureau afterward “screaming like a maniac.”

Hill told The Daily Caller that Reines said, “You’re just as much of a jackass on TV as you are online” and that Hill needs to “stop hiding behind [FBN anchor Trish Regan’s] skirt.”

“We chirped back and forth, and he said, ‘You’re not half the debater you think you are.’ To which I said, ‘That’s probably the lamest, most D.C. diss I’ve ever heard,'” Hill told TheDC.

Reines allegedly followed Hill through the newsroom screaming, and Hill started snapping photos of Reines’ pants-less suit.

“Yeah, I know how I look. How about you wipe the pubic hair off your face?” Reines allegedly told Hill in response to his photo being taken.

Reines blocked several Daily Caller reporters on Twitter after they retweeted Hill’s account of the incident. According to an anonymous eyewitness, Reines did not wear pants during a recent appearance on Tucker Carlson’s Fox News program either.

The Daily Caller was unable to reach Reines for comment.

One of the most nasty and smug jackasses in Washington.

https://dailycaller.com/2018/11/28/p...an-hill-pants/
    Just another idiot who needs access to an assisted suicide program.....piss on him
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."

“A patriot must always be ready to defend his country against his government.”

11. The Following 2 Members Like This Post:

Favorite VH Album

Women and Children First
    Favorite VH Song

Everybody Wants Some!!
    Last Online

12.10.18 @ 01:55 PM
    Liked 1,309 Times in 802 Posts

Premium Member

Accused Russian agent Maria Butina asks judge to change plea in conspiracy case

WASHINGTON – Maria Butina, a Russian national charged with conspiracy and acting as the agent of a foreign government, joined prosecutors Monday in asking a judge to schedule a hearing for her to change her plea.

Butina has pleaded innocent so far in the case in U.S. District Court for the District of Columbia. She has been jailed since July, largely in solitary confinement. But now lawyers for both sides are asking for a plea hearing Tuesday, Wednesday or Thursday.

“The parties have resolved this matter,” the two-page filing said.

The latest court filing suggests that Butina could be preparing to plead guilty to charges involving what prosecutors claim were efforts to infiltrate U.S. political organizations in order to advance Russia's interests.

A plea deal could shed further light on her activities.

On Friday, U.S. District Judge Tanya Chutkan appointed public defender A.J. Kramer as an advisory counsel to Butina without further explanation. The move came after Chutkan held a phone conference with Butina's defense lawyers, Robert Driscoll and Alfred Carry, and assistant U.S. attorneys Erik Kenreson and Thomas Saunders.

Chutkan earlier placed a gag order on both the federal prosecutors and the defense team that prevents them from speaking publicly about the case.

The case against Butina was filed by the U.S. attorney for the District of Columbia and is unrelated to Justice Department special counsel Robert Mueller's ongoing inquiry into Russia's interference in the 2016 presidential election.

Butina, who entered the United States in 2016 on a student visa, has been jailed as a flight risk without bond in Alexandria, Virginia, since her arrest in July. She has been held for months in solitary confinement, which keeps her in "a steel door cage the size of a parking space" for 22 hours each day, according to one of her court filings. She asked Chutkan to allow her into the jail's general population, but was rejected.

The Russian Embassy has called repeatedly for her release, most recently on Thursday.

We will continue demanding the release of Maria, victim of the blatant outrage. Meanwhile, we have heard numerous statements by #US🇺🇸 officials as regards the detained Ukrainian sailors. No such measures have been imposed on any of them

Butina is accused of engaging in a years-long campaign as a covert agent for the Kremlin in an attempt to "advance the interests of her home country."

She is accused of infiltrating multiple political organizations, including the National Rifle Association, to gain influence for Russia.

In the original charging documents filed in July, prosecutors claimed that Butina worked at the direction of "a high-level official in the Russian government who was previously a member of the legislature of the Russian Federation and later became a top official at the Russian Central Bank."

The official, whose description matches Alexander Torshin, had been sanctioned by the Treasury Department's Office of Foreign Assets Control in April 2018 and is prohibited from traveling to the U.S.

The pair identified political organizations and politically connected individuals who they could "exploit," the indictment said. She has been active with the NRA in recent years and is credited for creating a Russian version of the gun-rights organization, which officials have pointed to as a way for her to gain contacts and supporters.

A March report issued by Democrats on the House Intelligence Committee referred to the public reporting about Butina and Torshin, claiming that Butina "sought to facilitate meetings with Trump campaign officials and between President Putin and candidate Trump during the election."

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...ea/2265118002/

Favorite VH Album

Alex, Dave, Ed and Mike
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Premium Member

When I read about the 2016 election in several books, Reines was the guy that played Trump in Hillary's mock debates. Was so good at it he supposedly really pissed her off at times.

Favorite VH Album

Alex, Dave, Ed and Mike
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Premium Member

There was a lady on my team that was born in Russia and her parents still lived there, and she was going back to Russia regularly to visit. Always made me nervous to have her around. Probably nothing, but I didn't like it.

Last Online

12.11.18 @ 04:11 AM
    Liked 9,021 Times in 4,850 Posts

Premium Member

Supreme Court Refuses to Hear a Case About Defunding Planned Parenthood

Conservative Justices John Roberts and Brett Kavanaugh sided with their liberal colleagues on the issue

The Supreme Court on Monday refused to hear a case that could have paved the way for Republican states around the country to defund Planned Parenthood.

A lower court had previously blocked laws passed in Louisiana and Kansas that declared Medicaid funds couldn’t be used to receive services at the women’s health care clinic. Those rulings will remain in place.

Dr. Lena Wen, president of Planned Parenthood, cheered the court’s decision Monday. “Every person has a fundamental right to health care, no matter who they are, where they live, or how much they earn,” Wen said in a statement. “As a doctor, I have seen what’s at stake when people cannot access the care they need, and when politics gets in the way of people making their own health care choices. We won’t stop fighting for every patient who relies on Planned Parenthood for life-saving, life-changing care.”

While Monday’s ruling is a victory for Planned Parenthood, it’s only a limited one: a federal court in Arkansas has ruled it’s perfectly legal for the state to deny funds to the organization. Because the court refused to hear the case, that ruling will remain in place as well.

Conservatives Justices John Roberts and Brett Kavanaugh sided with their liberal colleagues in rejecting the case; Justices Samuel Alito, Clarence Thomas and Neil Gorsuch voted to hear it. “Some tenuous connection to a politically fraught issue does not justify abdicating our judicial duty,” Thomas wrote in his dissent. “We are responsible for the confusion among the lower courts, and it is our job to fix it.”

But the court may get another opportunity soon: Similar efforts to defund Planned Parenthood are still being fought in court in Ohio and Texas.

https://www.rollingstone.com/politic...20nbbdiXF5sI3A

But wait! ...I thought... oh, never mind. Must have just been a lot of hot air.