Favorite VH Album

All of them
    Favorite VH Song

DTNA, 5150
    Last Online

01.22.17 @ 06:34 AM
    Liked 40 Times in 22 Posts

Default Second amp.....

So; I have the itch to pick-up a second amp for cleaner sounds and potentially a pedal platform; I love my 5153 but...I have the itch.

Based on some other threads I have read into and research (along with what I am willing to spend) I am looking at a used amp of the following:

Fender Bassbreaker
    Fender Blues Jr
    Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
    Peavey Classic 30
    Peavey Blues

Any opinions on these or others that fit that genre? Most of this I can find around $400 locally used or online; as much as I would love a Fender Reverb of any sort they are just too much to spend right now and the 5153 was my big purchase towards the end of last year.

Look forward to the input.
    It's 5150 time!

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Mean Street
    Last Online

01.20.17 @ 12:18 PM
    Liked 505 Times in 262 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by rvk5150 View Post
    So; I have the itch to pick-up a second amp for cleaner sounds and potentially a pedal platform; I love my 5153 but...I have the itch.

Based on some other threads I have read into and research (along with what I am willing to spend) I am looking at a used amp of the following:

Fender Bassbreaker
    Fender Blues Jr
    Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
    Peavey Classic 30
    Peavey Blues

Any opinions on these or others that fit that genre? Most of this I can find around $400 locally used or online; as much as I would love a Fender Reverb of any sort they are just too much to spend right now and the 5153 was my big purchase towards the end of last year.

I own a Peavey Classic 50. It has a great clean sound as well as a good lead channel. Have not owned but played through several Hot Road Deluxes when shopping. They sound awesome on the clean channel. Most Fenders do, in my experience. A Bassbreaker is actually own my list of possible future amps because of its quality distortion AND sublime clean sounds.

TK

Last Online

01.22.17 @ 07:18 AM
    Liked 1,838 Times in 724 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

I feel like every single pedal ever designed to be used in a clean-platform setting has been tested on a Hot Rod Deluxe. If I ever got an amp for that purpose (to supplement my 5150iii as well), I'd probably go for an HRDx.

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen 1
    Favorite VH Song

Romeo Delight
    Last Online

01.22.17 @ 07:33 AM
    Liked 403 Times in 226 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jedi McFly View Post
    I feel like every single pedal ever designed to be used in a clean-platform setting has been tested on a Hot Rod Deluxe. If I ever got an amp for that purpose (to supplement my 5150iii as well), I'd probably go for an HRDx.
    Good choice and it's got those big 6L6s . I'm not a fan of EL84s but that's just me

Romeo Delight
    Favorite VH Album

All of them
    Favorite VH Song

DTNA, 5150
    Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by 51501984 View Post
    Good choice and it's got those big 6L6s . I'm not a fan of EL84s but that's just me
    It's funny....I was continuing my research and came to the same conclusion; that along with a 12" speak and more headroom (40w) and I think we have a winner!
    It's 5150 time!

Sinner's Swing!
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Mean Street
    Last Online

01.20.17 @ 12:40 PM
    Liked 856 Times in 520 Posts

Tough to go wrong with the Peavey Classic 30 or 50.
    Very versatile amps that do clean exceptionally well.
    In my opinion, you'd almost have to look past the HRD, and Blues Jr. And step up to a Fender Twin, to get in ballpark of the same kind of balls the Peavey have, with less size and cost.
    The other Fenders you mentioned are good amps..don't get me wrong, and it comes down to your ear, and personal taste, but dollar to dollar, the Peavey Classics really have a lot of punch, and are just dialed in with very nicely balanced EQ stacks, and a full richness.
    They work just as well with whatever guitar you throw at 'em. Single coils work as well as humbuckers, and don't over or under saturate , sounding either weak, and tinny with sc's switching from a HB guitar /pu combo, or clippy switching from an SC pickup. They are very well designed, and you can easily dial in a preamp setting, and eq setting that works well with both types of pickups, or positions. They never sound too muddy, or bright, unless of course you intentionally push them there.
    They have great creamy sustain, and a beautiful full midrage just like a Twin without sounding hollow, or "missing something", that you often find a compromise with some combos.
    In fear of sounding like a Peavey shill, I just can't say enough about them.
    They are about as close to an all purpose amp as you can get, and they take what you throw at them.
    I don't own one at the moment, but it is on my list after playing through them the past couple years, and renting recently for my own work.
    Last edited by we die young; 01.11.17 at 08:18 AM.
    Rest In Peace Dad. 1938-2015

7. The Following 2 Members Like This Post:

Favorite VH Album

ADKOT/Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

In a Simple Rhyme
    Last Online

01.22.17 @ 07:48 AM
    Liked 524 Times in 243 Posts

Fender Bassbreaker
    Fender Blues Jr
    Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
    Peavey Classic 30
    Peavey Blues

I've had a few experiences with Bassbreakers, and have loved them every time. They're really versatile, and have a great sound.
    I'm just here.

Hotty Toddy, gosh almighty,
    Who the hell are we? Hey!

Flim flam, bim bam,
    Ole Miss, by damn!

Romeo Delight
    Favorite VH Album

All of them
    Favorite VH Song

DTNA, 5150
    Last Online

Looking at some Peavey Classics vs. Blues Deluxe vs. Hot Rod....it will be one of the three.

I will admit I am leaning towards Fender just because I have always wanted a Fender amp for the legendary clean tone but I watched some vids of the Classic 50 and that thing really is silky smooth.

Appreciate all the replies!
    It's 5150 time!

Favorite VH Album

WACF
    Favorite VH Song

Romeo Delight
    Last Online

01.20.17 @ 07:15 AM
    Liked 56 Times in 37 Posts

Fender Bassbreaker
    Fender Blues Jr
    Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
    Peavey Classic 30
    Peavey Blues

Hot Rod Deluxe. Anything else, is just an immitation.
    Music inspired from my love of VH https://joezrocks.bandcamp.com/releases

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Mean Street
    Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by joezlo View Post
    Hot Rod Deluxe. Anything else, is just an immitation.
    Just amending to say the Peavey Classic 50 is a very good imitation. And I paid $450 for mine, used.

p.s. - the dirt channel kicks ass.

TK

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen 1
    Favorite VH Song

Romeo Delight
    Last Online

01.22.17 @ 07:33 AM
    Liked 403 Times in 226 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by pickslide View Post
    Just amending to say the Peavey Classic 50 is a very good imitation. And I paid $450 for mine, used.

TK
    And like the Fender the Classic 50 has the big 6L6s which is a big plus

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

the one Ed plays guitar on
    Last Online

01.22.17 @ 02:48 AM
    Liked 541 Times in 292 Posts

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by we die young View Post
    Tough to go wrong with the Peavey Classic 30 or 50.
    Very versatile amps that do clean exceptionally well.
    In my opinion, you'd almost have to look past the HRD, and Blues Jr. And step up to a Fender Twin, to get in ballpark of the same kind of balls the Peavey have, with less size and cost.
    The other Fenders you mentioned are good amps..don't get me wrong, and it comes down to your ear, and personal taste, but dollar to dollar, the Peavey Classics really have a lot of punch, and are just dialed in with very nicely balanced EQ stacks, and a full richness.
    They work just as well with whatever guitar you throw at 'em. Single coils work as well as humbuckers, and don't over or under saturate , sounding either weak, and tinny with sc's switching from a HB guitar /pu combo, or clippy switching from an SC pickup. They are very well designed, and you can easily dial in a preamp setting, and eq setting that works well with both types of pickups, or positions. They never sound too muddy, or bright, unless of course you intentionally push them there.
    They have great creamy sustain, and a beautiful full midrage just like a Twin without sounding hollow, or "missing something", that you often find a compromise with some combos.
    In fear of sounding like a Peavey shill, I just can't say enough about them.
    They are about as close to an all purpose amp as you can get, and they take what you throw at them.
    I don't own one at the moment, but it is on my list after playing through them the past couple years, and renting recently for my own work.

...everything stated above is spot on, but I would have probably been a little more succinct in my response. Like this:

Quote Originally Posted by pickslide View Post

TK
    The second amp I ever bought (and first "real" one) was a Peavey Classic 30. LOVED that thing. And, in 25 years of gear hoarding, it's the only thing I've ever sold off or traded away...and I'm STILL kicking myself for getting rid of it 15 years after the fact.

14. The Following 2 Members Like This Post:

Favorite VH Album

VH, 1984, 5150, F.U.C.K.
    Favorite VH Song

A few of Daves, a few of Sams!
    Last Online

01.22.17 @ 01:24 AM
    Liked 5,247 Times in 3,686 Posts

Premium Member

Roland Cube 60, or 80.
    Built like tanks, amp modeling and effects, portable, reliable.

The clean tone is their JC (jazz chorus) model, which is pristine. Takes pedals extremely well.
    "There's too many people on this basketball that's floating around the sun, who are too afraid to allow themselves to FEEL" - Edward Van Halen
    "Van Halen was never about the singer..." - a very wise fan.
    "Embrace the past. Live in the moment but keep your eyes on the future, and keep on moving forward..." - Richie Sambora

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Mean Street
    Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by RRvh1 View Post
    Roland Cube 60, or 80.
    Built like tanks, amp modeling and effects, portable, reliable.

The clean tone is their JC (jazz chorus) model, which is pristine. Takes pedals extremely well.
    If I ever went back to solid state, I'd probly get an 80. I agree their clean tone is superb. Not crazy about modelers, but you could always use pedals anyway.

TK

Sinner's Swing!
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Mean Street
    Last Online

01.20.17 @ 12:40 PM
    Liked 856 Times in 520 Posts

Looking at some Peavey Classics vs. Blues Deluxe vs. Hot Rod....it will be one of the three.

I will admit I am leaning towards Fender just because I have always wanted a Fender amp for the legendary clean tone but I watched some vids of the Classic 50 and that thing really is silky smooth.

Appreciate all the replies!
    It really is...the 30 too, and I find you can achieve those Fender tones at damn near bedroom levels. Very good amps.
    Rest In Peace Dad. 1938-2015