Favorite VH Album

All four
    Favorite VH Song

One, Sky, Control, Movies
    Last Online

07.25.17 @ 02:31 PM
    Liked 378 Times in 247 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by garbeaj View Post
    I don't know why you think I don't trust my own ears...I use Eddie's settings and it sounds exactly like the record on everything that I can think of in the Van Halen catalog to my ears. About the only thing I haven't tried to duplicate as far as flanger sounds go is the sound at the coda of "Dirty Movies" and the flanger feedback section at the end of "Loss Of Control" and I haven't had a go with "Push Comes To Shove" yet.

My ears tell me that Eddie's settings are correct on the vintage MXR Flanger that you and I are using.

Have you listened to the clips I posted? The "Hear About It Later" intro? The "So This Is Love?" overdub? The "Outta Love Again" intro (again on that one I didn't get the right feedback pitch)...all of these examples sound exactly like the records to me as far as the Flanger settings go. What do you think of my clips? Do they sound completely off of the record?

I'm not hearing flanger in the spots you mentioned in "Dirty Movies", I only hear it at the coda section...but I'll try to keep listening to those timings and see if I can hear any flanger there.

I'll make some more clips to demo different songs and riffs that I think obviously use Eddie's flanger settings...like "Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love", "Unchained", "On Fire", "Atomic Punk", etc. and you can judge for yourself.

But I thought you didn't care about getting Eddie's exact settings or even trying to sound like Eddie at all
    garbeaj, sir, I had mentioned what I do in the Random thread;

At the last chord of LOC, I null the Manual and max the Regen with my foot, so the thing goes f*cking crazy, just like the end should go. That would be awful hard to do with those little bitty knobs, all tucked in there

But I bet they could do it, with all those old bits and pieces, packed into a little IC chip.
    I've never seen the guts of the M117R(eissue), but I'd guess there's a lot of air.
    (The vintage M117s are chocked full of good old fashioned bits and pieces)

Speaking of pedals, I just got my Belle Epoch today, all thanks to that damn Carbon Copy thread, LOL! That makes 5 delays for me. I got some decisions to make!

And you quoted me with;

You don't have to change any of the knobs to do the Flanger feedback noises at the end of "Loss Of Control". If you have a vintage MXR Flanger or even if you have a reissue or an EVH Flanger, you just leave it on the same setting and get feedback...no manipulation of knobs required.

Remember that Eddie always used the same setting (11:30 on all knobs except for the "Regen" knob which is full up) for everything except the intro to "Outta Love Again"/"Bullethead" which is the same except the "Speed" knob is maxed out.

IMHO, you are the one always jumping in, waving that rule book, and personally, I don't like it.
    I don't need this kind of aggravation.
    BTW, your speed looks to be at 10 o'clock, like mine is
    Last edited by turnbuckle; 01.10.17 at 04:35 AM.

Favorite VH Album

All four
    Favorite VH Song

One, Sky, Control, Movies
    Last Online

07.25.17 @ 02:31 PM
    Liked 378 Times in 247 Posts

I only do this for fun. I'm a an early Edward style enthusiast, and nothing more.
    I came to this forum to share thoughts and ideas, but have grown weary of run ins with the resident expert.

I humbly bow out, with this one thought for everyone;
    You may not want to believe everything you read, most things you will have to figure out for yourself.

3. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen
    Last Online

07.24.17 @ 04:17 PM
    Liked 602 Times in 379 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by turnbuckle View Post
    I only do this for fun. I'm a an early Edward style enthusiast, and nothing more.
    I came to this forum to share thoughts and ideas, but have grown weary of run ins with the resident expert.

I humbly bow out, with this one thought for everyone;
    You may not want to believe everything you read, most things you will have to figure out for yourself.
    If you noticed, I said that you might be correct about the flanger setting at the end of "Loss Of Control" being different. I said I'd give it a try.

Really, I have only challenged you and anyone with a vintage MXR Flanger to try out Eddie's settings because as I've said, in my experience, they sound exactly like the records to my ears.

I never said that I was the "resident expert"...YOU said that. If anything, I only pointed out what came straight from Eddie in the recent interviews in Guitar World regarding the flanger settings.

So you still haven't commented on the clips I've posted so far using Eddie's settings.I'm interested to hear your opinion on them.

And again, you seem to contradict what you said about not caring about what Eddie actually did and having your "original" take on the settings. It seems that you do in fact care...otherwise you wouldn't have started this thread. You seem so convinced that you are right that you started this thread and accused me of not using my ears.

Let's make more clips and compare and discuss them...I want to learn something from you, assuming that you care about getting as close to the recorded sounds as possible...and all of your posts seem to point out that you do care. Really, I'm open to the possibility that you are right and I am wrong, but you don't seem to be open to the possibility that you could learn something yourself.
    Last edited by garbeaj; 01.10.17 at 06:14 AM.

Favorite VH Album

VH, 1984, 5150, F.U.C.K.
    Favorite VH Song

A few of Daves, a few of Sams!
    Last Online

07.26.17 @ 04:52 AM
    Liked 6,176 Times in 4,394 Posts

Premium Member

^^^ Whoa, guys...
    If anything, these guitar room threads should be neutral ground for us EVH fans.

Let the faceless beat each other up with redundant Hagar vs Roth crap, in virtually every thread... This forum is different IMO. The musicians should be on the same team. Constructive criticism only. It takes balls to post clips of your playing, when there are so many fantastic guitarists out there!

Keep the bickering in Main, where there's no shortage of lead singer whining and Internet attempts at one-upmanship.

Happy jammin', gents!
    "There's too many people on this basketball that's floating around the sun, who are too afraid to allow themselves to FEEL" - Edward Van Halen
    "Van Halen was never about the singer..." - a very wise fan.
    "Embrace the past. Live in the moment but keep your eyes on the future, and keep on moving forward..." - Richie Sambora

6. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

07.25.17 @ 07:40 PM
    Liked 10,131 Times in 4,243 Posts

Easy guys it's just guitar stuff come on.
    Webmaster
    VHLinks.com - Your Van Halen Internet Resource Guide
    http://www.vhlinks.com

JamToThis.com
    Audio/Video Trading Community
    Tons of Van Halen!

8. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen 1
    Favorite VH Song

Romeo Delight
    Last Online

07.26.17 @ 02:14 AM
    Liked 876 Times in 518 Posts

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen
    Last Online

Here's a few bits and pieces from "Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love" to demo the vintage MXR Flanger settings that Eddie disclosed...hopefully the recording quality is good enough for you to hear the flanger:

11. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

Default Flanger settings

Sounds dead on to me. Are you keeping it on during the chorus or are you stepping off and on it? Hard to tell. I always wonder about that part if it's on during the power chords.
    Webmaster

JamToThis.com
    Tons of Van Halen!

Favorite VH Album

VH, 1984, 5150, F.U.C.K.
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Premium Member

Here's a few bits and pieces from "Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love" to demo the vintage MXR Flanger settings that Eddie disclosed...hopefully the recording quality is good enough for you to hear the flanger:
    Sounds great to me!
    Love the flanger sweep and how it accents those low notes.
    "There's too many people on this basketball that's floating around the sun, who are too afraid to allow themselves to FEEL" - Edward Van Halen
    "Embrace the past. Live in the moment but keep your eyes on the future, and keep on moving forward..." - Richie Sambora

Favorite VH Album

VH, 1984, 5150, F.U.C.K.
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by Brett View Post
    Sounds dead on to me. Are you keeping it on during the chorus or are you stepping off and on it? Hard to tell. I always wonder about that part if it's on during the power chords.
    Off and on, to my ears. Ed used to engage the flanger to enhance/accent certain passages. Rarely did he leave the effect on all the time, although he did that with his Phase 90 on some songs in the club days.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

Yeah that's what I do when I play it just curious. Also needs that slap back tape echo too.
    Webmaster

JamToThis.com
    Tons of Van Halen!

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen
    Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by Brett View Post
    Thanks very much! And yeah, just as Robbie said, I'm just stepping on the flanger to accent the little melody on the A string as Eddie does and then kicking it on and leaving it on during the "Bleed for it..." parts of the Bridge and then turning it off as I slide back into the chorus. I don't think he uses the flanger at all during any of the choruses.

I also kicked on my vintage Phase 90 during the solo as Eddie did.

I used my Eventide H9 into my Fender Super Reverb for the reverb and my Rockstah Marshall combo for my main sound. The signal from the Marshall is split to line level with a David Bray Line-Out box to feed the H9 which then has a wet output going to the Super Reverb.

The signal chain goes from the guitar into the flanger, then the Phase 90, then the Echoplex Pre-Amp, then the Echoplex Delay (for the slap-back delay) and out to the Marshall...same as the pictures I posted a few days ago.
    Last edited by garbeaj; 01.11.17 at 03:00 PM.

17. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Top Of The World
    Favorite VH Album

All of them
    Favorite VH Song

DTNA, 5150
    Last Online

07.26.17 @ 01:38 AM
    Liked 89 Times in 59 Posts

Sounds and looks good brother. When you state EVH settings are you referring to:

"Remember that Eddie always used the same setting (11:30 on all knobs except for the "Regen" knob which is full up)"

from that EVH interview? If so when one says Regen full up in terms of time you mean 5-6 o'clock (or max basically)? I have the EVH Flanger; I need to check my settings.....
    It's 5150 time!

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen
    Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by rvk5150 View Post
    Sounds and looks good brother. When you state EVH settings are you referring to:

"Remember that Eddie always used the same setting (11:30 on all knobs except for the "Regen" knob which is full up)"

from that EVH interview? If so when one says Regen full up in terms of time you mean 5-6 o'clock (or max basically)? I have the EVH Flanger; I need to check my settings.....
    Yes, just turn the Regen knob all the way to the right as far as it can go which will be about 6:00.

But as I've stated, the Dunlop and EVH Flanger reissued are completely different than the vintage MXR Flangers that turnbuckle and I are using. They will sound different...

As Eddie said, the "EVH" button on the EVH Flanger reverts the pedal to the "11:00 settings on all knobs except Regen, which is full up" setting.

Favorite VH Album

('78-'84) VH 1; ('86-'95) 5150
    Favorite VH Song

Dave- I'm The One ; Sam- 5150
    Last Online

07.25.17 @ 03:26 PM
    Liked 957 Times in 515 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by RRvh1 View Post
    All this flanger talk makes me want to get back into the game! Meaning, looking at trading my MXR Micro Flanger for its big brother... There's a semi local seller with an EVH model.
    I had the Micro and EVH side by side last summer looking to dial in the Unchained setting. The micro is a fantastic flanger but the Unchained button setting can't be found in it. It's just not in there. But that's being real VH nit-picky. You could get away with it for Unchained if you wanted to.

I love the Unchained setting for 5th and 6th string stuff and use it for the A string parts in ATBL when needed. It sounds awesome. Otherwise it's just too much flanger for my liking.

I'll have to try out some of the settings in this thread. I've got mine locked in at 12:00,12:00,9:00,9:00 when not engaged in Unchained and I really like the sound. But admittedly I haven't played with the four knobs much other that to look for a nice flange sound that wasn't too thick and 'flangy'.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    VH with Dave ('78-'84) - The best years....the "real" VH.
    VH with Sam ('86-'96) - Incredible era....."We have renamed this town 'New Halen!'.
    VH with Gary ('98) - Fucking disaster. WTF was that??
    VH with Wolf/Dave ('12-'15) - Amazing comeback. Smokin' album and tours.