Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
Page 18 of 18 FirstFirst ... 815161718
Results 256 to 265 of 265
  1. #256
    Atomic Punk atomicpunk5151's Avatar
    Join Date
    05.26.04
    Location
    NOR-CAL
    Posts
    12,384
    Favorite VH Album

    Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

    Unchained, Hear About It Later
    Last Online

    03.28.17 @ 02:36 PM
    Likes
    1,389
    Liked 1,432 Times in 994 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Double Down View Post
    Start the season already? It's March 20.

    You're all lucky I'm not the commish. Season would start May 1 and finish Labor Day weekend. World Series over by Oct 1 not November freaking 1.
    May 1? Nah, to late. Get your snow blower going....haha... Clean up Fenway!

    I do totally agree with you that the schedule should be shorter. MLB needs to go back to 154 games. 162 is to long with the longer playoffs.

  2. The Following 2 Members Like This Post:


  3. #257
    carpe damn diem billy007's Avatar
    Join Date
    04.19.00
    Age
    53
    Location
    On the wild card line...
    Posts
    27,947
    Favorite VH Song

    "Dance The Night Away"
    Last Online

    03.28.17 @ 10:19 AM
    Likes
    816
    Liked 1,034 Times in 712 Posts


    Premium Member

    Default

    I was all prepared to come in here and say the modern player gets too many days off, but in reality...

    The 1975 Red Sox started on April 8th and finished on September 28th - they had 19 scheduled days off in between (6 in April(!), 3 in May, 2 in June, 3 in July (the All-Star break, lol), 4 in August and 1 in September. They had 7 scheduled double headers - 2 in June, 3 in July, 1 in August and 1 in September.

    The 2017 Red Sox start on April 3 and finish on October 1 - they have 19 scheduled days off in between (3 in April, 3 in May, 2 in June, 5 in July, 4 in August and 3 in September. They have no scheduled double headers.

    So I guess that's the key - more double headers!

  4. #258
    Atomic Punk Raldo's Avatar
    Join Date
    01.11.00
    Location
    Cromwell, CT USA
    Posts
    16,416
    Favorite VH Song

    Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love
    Last Online

    03.28.17 @ 06:59 AM
    Likes
    1,366
    Liked 1,047 Times in 645 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by billy007 View Post
    I was all prepared to come in here and say the modern player gets too many days off, but in reality...

    The 1975 Red Sox started on April 8th and finished on September 28th - they had 19 scheduled days off in between (6 in April(!), 3 in May, 2 in June, 3 in July (the All-Star break, lol), 4 in August and 1 in September. They had 7 scheduled double headers - 2 in June, 3 in July, 1 in August and 1 in September.

    The 2017 Red Sox start on April 3 and finish on October 1 - they have 19 scheduled days off in between (3 in April, 3 in May, 2 in June, 5 in July, 4 in August and 3 in September. They have no scheduled double headers.

    So I guess that's the key - more double headers!
    Double headers are the key but they just don't schedule them like they used to. Owners want both gates so the fans don't get the 2 for 1 deal.
    Remember the Heroes - 9/11/01

    In 2012, the phoenix has risen!!

    "High speed, low drag."

    "Look at all the people here tonight!!!" - 10/5/07, 5/20/08 Mohegan Sun

    Congratulations to Van Halen as part of the Class of 2007 Rock and Roll Hall of Fame!

    Cinco de Cabo @ Foxwoods: "A giant party with live music" - S. Hagar

    got tequila?

    http://keepitaliveforever.com

  5. #259
    Forum Frontman Double Down's Avatar
    Join Date
    10.10.05
    Age
    48
    Location
    Boston
    Posts
    17,552
    Favorite VH Album

    ('78-'84) VH 1; ('86-'95) 5150
    Favorite VH Song

    Dave- I'm The One ; Sam- 5150
    Last Online

    03.28.17 @ 11:30 AM
    Likes
    394
    Liked 717 Times in 379 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by atomicpunk5151 View Post
    May 1? Nah, to late. Get your snow blower going....haha... Clean up Fenway!

    I do totally agree with you that the schedule should be shorter. MLB needs to go back to 154 games. 162 is to long with the longer playoffs.
    154? I'd drop it to about 120. GUARANTEE you you'd enjoy that season more than you ever have. Remember how awesome the NHL's 40 game strike season was a few years ago?


    If money whoring wasn't at the heart of it then common sense says less is more.
    .
    .
    .
    VH with Dave ('78-'84) - The best years....the "real" VH.
    VH with Sam ('86-'96) - Incredible era....."We have renamed this town 'New Halen!'.
    VH with Gary ('98) - Fucking disaster. WTF was that??
    VH with Wolf/Dave ('12-'15) - Amazing comeback. Smokin' album and tours.

  6. #260
    Atomic Punk bsbll4's Avatar
    Join Date
    02.17.03
    Age
    33
    Location
    St. Louis, MO
    Posts
    7,887
    Favorite VH Album

    Van Halen/ADKOT
    Favorite VH Song

    Hot For Teacher
    Last Online

    03.28.17 @ 11:23 AM
    Likes
    392
    Liked 1,488 Times in 752 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Raldo View Post
    Double headers are the key but they just don't schedule them like they used to. Owners want both gates so the fans don't get the 2 for 1 deal.
    Plus it plays hell with the pitching staff these days. From a competitive standpoint, the team that has the deeper bullpen/bench and even minors system will be at the advantage in those games and the ones that follow. Granted that's generally what the regular season results tease out anyway, but from a game to game standpoint I think most coaches would like to always go in using their best players available...

    ...unless you're Tony La Russa on a getaway day game, then you put out the absolute worst lineup imaginable.
    CNN may think my opinion matters, but you shouldn't.

  7. #261
    Swollen Member Nostalgia Act's Avatar
    Join Date
    11.05.06
    Location
    there's a sleepy town
    Posts
    8,032
    Favorite VH Album

    fair warning/ 5150
    Favorite VH Song

    happy trails/ dreams
    Last Online

    03.28.17 @ 08:36 AM
    Likes
    3
    Liked 1,731 Times in 927 Posts


    Premium Member

    Donor

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Double Down View Post
    154? I'd drop it to about 120. GUARANTEE you you'd enjoy that season more than you ever have. Remember how awesome the NHL's 40 game strike season was a few years ago?


    If money whoring wasn't at the heart of it then common sense says less is more.
    I'm seriously jonesing for the season to start...I wouldn't want to start the season in later, but they could shorten the season so that even if all playoff games went the maximum amount of games, the WS would still be over by mid October.
    Utilize. Improvise. Adapt. Overcome.

    I love coffee and sarcasm.

    RJD \m/


    Sig Pic courtesy of Greenpaw

  8. The Following Member Likes This Post:


  9. #262
    Forum Frontman Double Down's Avatar
    Join Date
    10.10.05
    Age
    48
    Location
    Boston
    Posts
    17,552
    Favorite VH Album

    ('78-'84) VH 1; ('86-'95) 5150
    Favorite VH Song

    Dave- I'm The One ; Sam- 5150
    Last Online

    03.28.17 @ 11:30 AM
    Likes
    394
    Liked 717 Times in 379 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Nostalgia Act View Post
    I'm seriously jonesing for the season to start...I wouldn't want to start the season in later, but they could shorten the season so that even if all playoff games went the maximum amount of games, the WS would still be over by mid October.
    But there are so many games played in rotten April weather. Freezing cold, rain...it sucks so bad.
    .
    .
    .
    VH with Dave ('78-'84) - The best years....the "real" VH.
    VH with Sam ('86-'96) - Incredible era....."We have renamed this town 'New Halen!'.
    VH with Gary ('98) - Fucking disaster. WTF was that??
    VH with Wolf/Dave ('12-'15) - Amazing comeback. Smokin' album and tours.

  10. #263
    Atomic Punk atomicpunk5151's Avatar
    Join Date
    05.26.04
    Location
    NOR-CAL
    Posts
    12,384
    Favorite VH Album

    Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

    Unchained, Hear About It Later
    Last Online

    03.28.17 @ 02:36 PM
    Likes
    1,389
    Liked 1,432 Times in 994 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Double Down View Post
    But there are so many games played in rotten April weather. Freezing cold, rain...it sucks so bad.
    Especially in the Midwest and East Coast. Still snow on the ground.

    HELL, it was even raining in LA last night for the WBC game. Can't go earlier.

  11. #264
    carpe damn diem billy007's Avatar
    Join Date
    04.19.00
    Age
    53
    Location
    On the wild card line...
    Posts
    27,947
    Favorite VH Song

    "Dance The Night Away"
    Last Online

    03.28.17 @ 10:19 AM
    Likes
    816
    Liked 1,034 Times in 712 Posts


    Premium Member

    Default

    probably why they had those 6 off days built in in April of '75!

  12. #265
    Atomic Punk atomicpunk5151's Avatar
    Join Date
    05.26.04
    Location
    NOR-CAL
    Posts
    12,384
    Favorite VH Album

    Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

    Unchained, Hear About It Later
    Last Online

    03.28.17 @ 02:36 PM
    Likes
    1,389
    Liked 1,432 Times in 994 Posts

    Default

    Less then a week to go.

    Opening day on Sunday April 2.

    ESPN with the wall to wall TV coverage on Sunday and Monday:

    Sun, Apr 2 1:10 pm New York Yankees - Tampa Bay Rays ESPN
    Sun, Apr 2 4:10 pm San Francisco Giants - Arizona Diamondbacks ESPN2
    Sun, Apr 2 8:35 pm Chicago Cubs - St. Louis Cardinals ESPN
    Mon, Apr 3 1:10 pm Atlanta Braves - New York Mets ESPN
    Mon, Apr 3 4:10 pm San Diego Padres - Los Angeles Dodgers ESPN
    Mon, Apr 3 7:05 pm Cleveland Indians - Texas Rangers ESPN
    Mon, Apr 3 10:05 pm Los Angeles Angels - Oakland Athletics ESPN2

 

 

Similar Threads

  1. THE MLB Hot Stove thread - 2015/16 edition
    By billy007 in forum Play Ball!
    Replies: 350
    Last Post: 04.04.16, 07:10 PM
  2. 2010/2011 hot stove thread!
    By sisca in forum Play Ball!
    Replies: 415
    Last Post: 03.27.11, 09:22 AM
  3. 2008 Hot Stove Thread
    By sisca in forum Play Ball!
    Replies: 460
    Last Post: 02.11.08, 05:35 AM
  4. MLB Hot Stove and off-season thread.
    By BREW CREW in forum Play Ball!
    Replies: 779
    Last Post: 03.28.07, 10:35 AM
  5. Hot Stove Thread
    By sisca in forum Play Ball!
    Replies: 497
    Last Post: 02.15.06, 07:34 PM

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •