Little Dreamer
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

couldn\'t say
    Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hey all. Long time fan but pretty much been a lurker here for a while. Thought you guys might be interested in hearing, what was for me, one cool day - no rumors or innuendo or anything like that.

My buddy owns a rehearsal/recording studio in the Bay Area and called to let me know that Sammy had rented the main room for a week or so to rehearse with Planet Us (I think that is what it's called). So I head down there and am hanging out in front of the place having a smoke when a black VW Bug pulls up (nope, no Ferrari) and the window rolls down and its Sammy with Mike in the passenger seat - "Is thie ****** studio's?" Me - "Uh..duh....Sammy!?...yea, park right over there".

Anyway, the whole thing turned into one memorable day. For the most part I was very reluctant to engage them in the typical fan type questions because I figured they're paying for this space and its a professional arrangement not like I bumped into them in some public space. And, of course, this was a big break to my friend from a business standpoint so I wanted to maintain the illusion that I was used to hanging around with famous musicians etc...or something to that effect....yea right.

So long story short I was pretty quiet and stayed out of there way until I couldn't take it anymore. Mike, Sammy, Neil Schon and Dean (last name?) were jamming in the next room and I was sitting there in my friends office listening through the walls. Finally, I just decided that what the hell, I'll head in there and at least look like I'm there to do something...wire up a mixing board - anything.

Once I got in there it seemed pretty casual so after I did a few things I took a seat on one of the couches and grabbed a beer out of the fridge and proceeded to kick back and watch these guys jam for about two hours! It really was something else!

During breaks I got the chance to talk with both Mike and Sam. Both were very cool and in a weird way I didn't even feel so much like a fan than just somebody working in the studio and hanging with the customers! I spoke with Mike about VH's future but not Sammy. Couple of things from Mike - he told me he had spoken with Ed about an hour ago and Ed wanted to know how Sammy was doing, as in - where's his head at regarding VH and the future. He also mentioned that Ed has gone through a LOT, he only referenced his health, and shit, cancer is enough, but it seemed to allude to a little more than that. He also mentioned that maybe we can get this guy back in (pointing to Sammy on the other side of the room with his back turned). And nothing new here, mentioned that Dave really didn't have his chops together and took forever to record the two best of tracks.

I only spoke with Sammy a bit and didn't talk any VH, just how the tunes they were working on sounded and such. Really nice guy. All in all, when I look back at it, I wish I had asked them some more questions I wanted to know about - there's a million - but I was probably just too nervous. They probably would have been more than happy to discuss more VH future topics - it was so laid back.

BTW - the songs were in a very raw format but sounded good. No vocals when I heard them just Sam humming different melodies over them. Mike is a godamn machine! Just jumps into any jam, lock in and rocks - Neil Schon was jumping all over the place throwing out different licks. The drummer is insane...like a metal Peart. And also, Neil Schon is the nicest, most down to earth guy. We sat outside taking smoke breaks together and he was just an all around cool guy...told me that the Journey drummer, same Neil guy, could sing as well as Perry but with balls!

Hell of a day for me. Sorry to be so long winded but I wanted to share with others who might be interested

Last Online

03.03.15 @ 08:31 PM
    Liked 2 Times in 1 Post

Donor

Sounds like you had a great day! Thanks for sharing it with us! [img]graemlins/thumb.gif[/img]

Favorite VH Album

"Fair Warning" & "OU812"
    Favorite VH Song

"Romeo Delight" & "Cabo Wabo"
    Last Online

09.21.15 @ 04:44 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Besides, the Planet Us material, what other stuff were they jammin'? I wouldn't think that for 2 hours they'd be playing the same 2 songs over and over.

As for Neal Schon, I met him Vegas at the HRH while I was there for the Hagar shows, and he came off totally different. He was struttin' around the hotel like he owned the place.

Great story, though! [img]graemlins/thumb.gif[/img]
    "Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that."

"This is a lttle prayer dedicated to the separation of church and state. I guess if they are going to force those kids to pray in schools they might as well have a nice prayer like this: Our Father who art in heaven, and to the republic for which it stands, thy kingdom come, one nation indivisible as in heaven, give us this day as we forgive those who so proudly we hail. Crown thy good into temptation but deliver us from the twilight's last gleaming. Amen and Awomen. ."

"I think it's the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately."

-George Carlin 1937 - 2008

Last Online

09.26.07 @ 02:38 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

Awesome story, man! [img]graemlins/thumb.gif[/img] I'd have killed to be in your shoes that day.
    "It's so damn hot... milk was a bad choice." --Ron Burgundy, Anchorman

Unchained
    Favorite VH Album

F.U.C.K.
    Favorite VH Song

POUND CAKE
    Last Online

05.08.08 @ 02:22 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Originally posted by Vince G.:
    Besides, the Planet Us material, what other stuff were they jammin'? I wouldn't think that for 2 hours they'd be playing the same 2 songs over and over.

As for Neal Schon, I met him Vegas at the HRH while I was there for the Hagar shows, and he came off totally different. He was struttin' around the hotel like he owned the place.

Great story, though! [img]graemlins/thumb.gif[/img]
    That's interesting Vince. I always thought that Neil came across as approachable and down to earth. But, since you met him and I didn't, I guess you would know more how he was!

Top Of The World
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

08.22.12 @ 09:58 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hey dufus! That's a fabulous piece of fiction you've concocted! I'm very proud of you. Did Mike also mention that Ed will never work with Sam again because he now realizes how much Capt. Ham & Egg damaged the VH legacy?

Seriously, dillweed - take your Sammy stories elsewhere. I know for a FACT that you're full of shit.

There's only one previous singer VH has EVER considered reuniting with - and his name aint Sammy. Sorry, kids.

[ July 21, 2002, 03:35 AM: Message edited by: lance watts ]

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen/Balance/5150
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained/5150/Don\'t Tell Me
    Last Online

04.29.16 @ 07:05 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

You're hanging with Sammy and Mike........I'm test driving Minivans............what's wrong with my life.......
    Actually I think most of us are Dave, Sam, and Mike fans. There's just a small group of people who have strange allegiances and like to get into petty pissing contests that I can't believe everyone on this site isn't bored of. - Brett

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Panama
    Last Online

03.03.15 @ 08:24 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Lance, Lance, he's our man, he can say it like noone else can! SHArmy is gonna crucify ya know... [img]graemlins/thumb.gif[/img]
    "Knowing is not enough, we must apply,willing is not enough, we must do" -Goethe

Minds are like parachutes. They only function when they are open.--Sir James Dewar, Scientist (1877-1925)

Always drink upstream from the herd...
    --Will Rogers

It is amazing how much some people can do with so little, however, what is even more amazing to me is how little some people can do with so much.
    --Somewhat me, mostly someone else, not sure who

Favorite VH Album

Last Online

09.07.08 @ 02:03 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Originally posted by lance watts:
    Hey dufus! That's a fabulous piece of fiction you've concocted! I'm very proud of you. Did Mike also mention that Ed will never work with Sam again because he now realizes how much Capt. Ham & Egg damaged the VH legacy?

Seriously, dillweed - take your Sammy stories elsewhere. I know for a FACT that you're full of shit.

There's only one previous singer VH has EVER considered reuniting with - and his name aint Sammy. Sorry, kids.
    Hey Lance, would you consider this a "Strange and Twisted Tale"?
    Van Halen without the original 4 is just not Van Halen.

On Fire
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning, VH, WACF, Balance, 1984
    Favorite VH Song

Mean Street, H4T, I\'m the One, Romeo
    Last Online

12.26.07 @ 04:47 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Cool Story Rock On mate
    Deen's surname is Castronovo
    Was Sammy driving the New VW bug? (God I hope so~!)

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Carnal Knowledge
    Last Online

03.30.13 @ 09:28 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Great story jcr. Good to see ya here.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Mean Street
    Last Online

08.10.15 @ 12:03 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Cool way to spend an afternoon.
    For me it sucks that Sammy may be back in, but hey even I agree Roths voice is shot.

Eruption
    Favorite VH Album

fair warning
    Favorite VH Song

mean street
    Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

good story jcr, hey everyone knows it has to be either dlr/ or sammy back, whoever they take back so be it. i would love dlr to come back, but lets face it it would not last everyone here knows that i rather have sammy back then no vh at all.
    van halen shall return. what you think is nothing might be something after all.

Favorite VH Album

ADKOT
    Favorite VH Song

Outta Space
    Last Online

12.10.17 @ 04:46 PM
    Liked 559 Times in 303 Posts

Donor

Originally posted by lance watts:

I think you're wrong about that....I've read a quote from Sammy saying that Mike was telling him that EVH was pumping Mike for info about Sammy, asking exactly what this guy is saying...where's Sam's head at?
    Sammy then said my head's the same place as always, and all they had to do was call and ask him.
    You definitely don't know for a fact that JCR is full of it. I'm sure others here have read or heard the same interview with Sam.
    I asked a ref if he could give me a technical foul for thinking bad things about him. He said, of course not. I said, well, I think you stink. And he gave me a technical. You can't trust em. -
    Jimmy V

Sinner's Swing! 79th and Sunset's Avatar
    Last Online

10.22.17 @ 12:35 PM
    Liked 16 Times in 4 Posts

Premium Member
    Man, great story !!

Sounds like the Planet Us music will be pretty good, I sure am looking forward to hearing it !!

Thanks for sharing !