Favorite VH Song

Changes with the day
    Last Online

02.21.17 @ 07:39 PM
    Liked 334 Times in 193 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by Get The Show On The Road View Post
    I always love it when people try to compare professional sports to "normal" professions.

Nobody gives a shit whether I work at Google or AOL. Nobody gives a shit about my rec league basketball team either. No one is buying a replica of my Google work shirt or putting a Fathead of me in my rec league uniform on their wall. Whether he likes it or not, Durant let down hundreds of thousands of fans in the OKC area, and a lot of kids who looked up to him and were hoping he could lead them to a championship. Of course he's free to do as he chooses, but his choice doesn't happen in a vacuum as he is a public figure. That's life in professional sports.

You're okay with it, fine. I think it's chickenshit. Guess what? Neither of us are wrong or right. It's all opinion.
    Again - agreed, nobody gives a fuck where you work. My point is that it is hypocritical to call someone chickenshit for doing something you do in your every day life. Just because he's an athlete doesn't change the fact he's a human being earning a living. Pretty damn good living too, agreed. But to sit back and say "he should do this" or "he should do that" - who the fuck are you to say that? A fan? Really? A fucking FAN? Pathetic.

And yeah, I'm exaggerating to make the point. I really may not think you're pathetic.

Point is I wouldn't have done it. I would've stayed with the team that drafted me and tried to change the outcome this year. Hence my opinion of the matter.
    How could you possibly know that? You have no idea what you'd do or not do in that situation, you have no reference point whatsoever.

Quote Originally Posted by Brett View Post
    I know but they suck ass too. The Celtics are good and they still don't post.
    Hey!

Although you're right - every time I've tried to talk Celts on here over the past few years, crickets chirping...

Quote Originally Posted by Brett View Post
    Realize too the Lakers have only signed one major free agent in their prime in their history, at that was Shaq. Everything else was drafts and trades.
    That is surprising, and not what you'd think. Of course, that's a pretty damn big exception, LOL.

Very interesting...

Then again, now that I think about it - how many "major" free agents actually move? I'm thinking there aren't all that many that end up changing teams in their primes.

Durant, Lebron (x2), Bosh, Shaq. Dwight Howard? Or was he traded?

Seriously - there has to be more than that, but I think not as many as you'd guess offhand...

Or maybe they do and I'm just not thinking of them.

For example, not sure I consider Horford a "major" free agent, but he's close.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained, Hear About It Later
    Last Online

02.21.17 @ 07:03 PM
    Liked 1,376 Times in 956 Posts

I went to my first Warrior game back in 1980. Back then there was only 1 team in NORCAL. Most NBA fans would argue that there were ZERO NBA teams in NORCAL from 1980-2000....lol...

I get that most across the country only see Warrior fans as Bandwagon jumpers. Most around the country are. BUT don't forget, there was always about 20,000 die hard hoops fans that would go to the Oakland Arena. Guy like Steve McQueen from this VHboard.

Even when the Kings came to Sacramento in 85, the basketball vibe was still better in Oakland. It was just different. Kings made a few runs in the 00s, but even then only fans right in Sacramento were Kings fans. Everyone west of Davis was Warriors fans.

3. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Hang 'Em High Get The Show On The Road's Avatar
    Favorite VH Album

Van Halen
    Favorite VH Song

I'm The One
    Last Online

02.21.17 @ 10:02 PM
    Liked 6,865 Times in 3,524 Posts

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by jrk5150 View Post
    Again - agreed, nobody gives a fuck where you work. My point is that it is hypocritical to call someone chickenshit for doing something you do in your every day life. Just because he's an athlete doesn't change the fact he's a human being earning a living. Pretty damn good living too, agreed. But to sit back and say "he should do this" or "he should do that" - who the fuck are you to say that? A fan? Really? A fucking FAN? Pathetic.

And yeah, I'm exaggerating to make the point. I really may not think you're pathetic.

How could you possibly know that? You have no idea what you'd do or not do in that situation, you have no reference point whatsoever.

Hey!

Although you're right - every time I've tried to talk Celts on here over the past few years, crickets chirping...

That is surprising, and not what you'd think. Of course, that's a pretty damn big exception, LOL.

Very interesting...

Then again, now that I think about it - how many "major" free agents actually move? I'm thinking there aren't all that many that end up changing teams in their primes.

Durant, Lebron (x2), Bosh, Shaq. Dwight Howard? Or was he traded?

Seriously - there has to be more than that, but I think not as many as you'd guess offhand...

Or maybe they do and I'm just not thinking of them.

For example, not sure I consider Horford a "major" free agent, but he's close.
    LMAO. I don't know what I'd do in that situation? What else do you want to tell me about myself wise guy?

I know myself pretty well having been on this Earth for close to 42 years. I dont need a "reference point" to know that I wouldnt do what Durant did. For you to try to tell me that I don't know what I'd do is pretty arrogant don't you think?
    I don't always listen to hard rock, but when I do, I prefer Van Halen. Stay Frosty my friends.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

02.21.17 @ 08:07 PM
    Liked 53 Times in 26 Posts

I really miss The Sonics. It was a huge part of my childhood, my parents had season tickets for years, I was at a lot of games. Then when sports radio took off I just ingested it all day and night.

When they left town I was in such shock. I really have not followed the NBA since.
    ((Just My Two Cents))
    And thats about what its worth.

6. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Favorite VH Album

WOMEN AND CHILDREN FIRST/ADKOT
    Favorite VH Song

EVERYBODY WANTS SOME!!
    Last Online

02.21.17 @ 09:50 PM
    Liked 6,019 Times in 3,153 Posts

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by OLO View Post
    I really miss The Sonics. It was a huge part of my childhood, my parents had season tickets for years, I was at a lot of games. Then when sports radio took off I just ingested it all day and night.

When they left town I was in such shock. I really have not followed the NBA since.
    FUCK Howard Schultz. Lying POS.

8. The Following Member Likes This Post:

OLO

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

02.21.17 @ 08:42 PM
    Liked 8,664 Times in 3,599 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by OLO View Post

Don't blame you.
    Webmaster
    VHLinks.com - Your Van Halen Internet Resource Guide
    http://www.vhlinks.com

JamToThis.com
    Audio/Video Trading Community
    Tons of Van Halen!

Favorite VH Album

WOMEN AND CHILDREN FIRST/ADKOT
    Favorite VH Song

EVERYBODY WANTS SOME!!
    Last Online

02.21.17 @ 09:50 PM
    Liked 6,019 Times in 3,153 Posts

Premium Member

The Supersonics will be back.

Massachusetts by way of the Great State of New Jersey
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Changes with the day
    Last Online

Premium Member

Donor

LMAO. I don't know what I'd do in that situation? What else do you want to tell me about myself wise guy?

I know myself pretty well having been on this Earth for close to 42 years. I dont need a "reference point" to know that I wouldnt do what Durant did. For you to try to tell me that I don't know what I'd do is pretty arrogant don't you think?
    Arrogant really isn't the right word there.

Okay - what's your reference point? When in your life have you been in similar circumstances - where you've been put into a job with no choice on what town you live in or who your coworkers are, and then when given the opportunity (that you earned contractually), elected not to go to what you perceive is a better situation.

First, I don't feel sorry for these guys - they make a ton of money and their careers are relatively short, so they'll have plenty of time at a pretty young age to do whatever they want to do. So boo hoo that someone is "stuck" living in a mansion or penthouse in OKC vs. San Francisco or whatever until they're 35. Suck it up. I get it.

But I will not go to the other extreme and call them juvenile little names and say things like it's chickenshit when they simply want to change their circumstances, based on some bizarre notion of loyalty to a team and/or town they had no choice but to join/live in.

I've been around longer than you, and have a pretty damn good base of self-awareness for a number of reasons. I can sit here and say I would be unlikely to jump like he did, and I'd be able to point to things in my life that I've done, choices I've made, that support my opinion. But the FACT is, I can't actually know that because I haven't had to make that decision, I've never been in his shoes. 99.9% of us will never personally know the circumstances he's in, and I'm smart enough not to jump to a conclusion about what I "would do" when I have no reference point to understand those circumstances.

And yeah, I would call bullshit on anyone who would say differently if they haven't had such a decision in their past - I see enough in my profession to know that people generally have no idea what actually drives them, no matter how much they say they do. If you're that .1%, good for you. Until I see it, I ain't buyin it.

That's not arrogant. Could be wrong, sure.
    Last edited by jrk5150; 02.16.17 at 10:45 AM.

Favorite VH Album

The First One
    Favorite VH Song

I'm The One
    Last Online

02.21.17 @ 08:16 PM
    Liked 12,151 Times in 6,836 Posts

Premium Member

"Some only see what they wanna see
    Claiming victory, oh, but that's not me"

"It's so lonely at the top because it's so crowded at the bottom" - Diamond David Lee Roth

"The past ain't what it used to be"

"Music is like candy. You throw out the rappers"

"Be careful what you wish for because you just might lose what you already have"

"Women and Children First ... The REAL Van Halen III"

13. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained, Hear About It Later
    Last Online

02.21.17 @ 07:03 PM
    Liked 1,376 Times in 956 Posts

Warriors destroyed the Kings last night.

Klay and KD led the scoring barrage.

Draymond got ejected again with the double Tech. Fired the team up I guess....haha... They dropped 42 in just the 3rd quarter.... including a insane 28-2 run.

15. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Favorite VH Album

The First One
    Favorite VH Song

I'm The One
    Last Online

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by atomicpunk5151 View Post
    Warriors destroyed the Kings last night.

Klay and KD led the scoring barrage.

Draymond got ejected again with the double Tech. Fired the team up I guess....haha... They dropped 42 in just the 3rd quarter.... including a insane 28-2 run.
    My Lakers must have tired the Kings out the night before. You're welcome!
    "It's so lonely at the top because it's so crowded at the bottom" - Diamond David Lee Roth

"Be careful what you wish for because you just might lose what you already have"

Hang 'Em High Get The Show On The Road's Avatar
    Favorite VH Album

Van Halen
    Favorite VH Song

I'm The One
    Last Online

02.21.17 @ 10:02 PM
    Liked 6,865 Times in 3,524 Posts

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by jrk5150 View Post
    Arrogant really isn't the right word there.

Okay - what's your reference point? When in your life have you been in similar circumstances - where you've been put into a job with no choice on what town you live in or who your coworkers are, and then when given the opportunity (that you earned contractually), elected not to go to what you perceive is a better situation.

First, I don't feel sorry for these guys - they make a ton of money and their careers are relatively short, so they'll have plenty of time at a pretty young age to do whatever they want to do. So boo hoo that someone is "stuck" living in a mansion or penthouse in OKC vs. San Francisco or whatever until they're 35. Suck it up. I get it.

But I will not go to the other extreme and call them juvenile little names and say things like it's chickenshit when they simply want to change their circumstances, based on some bizarre notion of loyalty to a team and/or town they had no choice but to join/live in.

I've been around longer than you, and have a pretty damn good base of self-awareness for a number of reasons. I can sit here and say I would be unlikely to jump like he did, and I'd be able to point to things in my life that I've done, choices I've made, that support my opinion. But the FACT is, I can't actually know that because I haven't had to make that decision, I've never been in his shoes. 99.9% of us will never personally know the circumstances he's in, and I'm smart enough not to jump to a conclusion about what I "would do" when I have no reference point to understand those circumstances.

And yeah, I would call bullshit on anyone who would say differently if they haven't had such a decision in their past - I see enough in my profession to know that people generally have no idea what actually drives them, no matter how much they say they do. If you're that .1%, good for you. Until I see it, I ain't buyin it.

That's not arrogant. Could be wrong, sure.
    Good post.

Yeah, I can't say with 100 percent certainty that I wouldn't do what Durant did because I've never been a pro athlete. But my athletic experiences in high school and college lead me to believe that I wouldn't do what he did.

In high school my senior season of basketball we were unanimously picked to win our league and we squandered a couple games and ended up tying for the league title. The last thing I would have done if I could have would have been to transfer to that school. I was pissed that we even lost a game to them and wanted to play 'em again and kick their ass.

Same thing in college cross country (I was a better runner than a basketball player). I never considered transferring to the teams that beat us at the conference meet, I always thought that we just needed to get better and challenge them the next year.

My friend who was a groomsman in my wedding is also a runner and every time we toe the line at a race I want to beat his ass. We go to each others' kid's birthdays and all that but there's still a competitive element and I know he wants to beat me too. Again, not the NBA or pro anything but I still want to beat him and get upset when I don't.

So my past history leads me to believe that if the money was more or less equal that I would stay with the team I was with as opposed to jumping ship to the team that just eliminated me from the playoffs and killed my title hopes.

But your point is taken that both examples that I cited aren't exact duplicates of his situation. I don't know Kevin Durant so I don't know what kind of competitor he is. I just know that my first instinct when I get beat whether it's on the basketball playground or in a running race is that I want to go at them again and try to beat them next time.

Same
    Last edited by Get The Show On The Road; 02.16.17 at 07:01 PM.
    I don't always listen to hard rock, but when I do, I prefer Van Halen. Stay Frosty my friends.

Favorite VH Album

The First One
    Favorite VH Song

I'm The One
    Last Online

Premium Member

Did your hear about the guy who stapled his nuts together? He figured if he couldn't beat 'em, he'd join 'em ...

19. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Massachusetts by way of the Great State of New Jersey
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Changes with the day
    Last Online

Premium Member

Donor

Yeah, I can't say with 100 percent certainty that I wouldn't do what Durant did because I've never been a pro athlete. But my athletic experiences in high school and college lead me to believe that I wouldn't do what he did.

Same
    And that was my only point - not saying you would do it, only that (anyone) going so far as to call him chickenshit is pretty strong when you haven't walked in his shoes.

I loved my HS and my college, still miss playing for both. Very loyal. As I am now in my "regular" job. That's who I am.

My HS had a contract dispute the summer before my Sr. year, and they were talking about no sports as part of a work to rule thing. There was no way I could not play my Sr. year, so I started thinking about where I could go, and where I'd fit. This was a rural county, there were 9 other teams in our league, all guys I knew to some extent, who I'd been butting heads with since 8th grade. Some strong rivalries both traditional and individual from playing against each other for so long. Ordinarily I'd have never thought about playing for another school (wasn't done back then), but the situation got me thinking. Had there been a mechanism where I could be a "free agent" and jump to another school without breaking any rules, I'm not sure what I would have done. Now, my HS team my Sr. year was supposed to be very good, but there was some internal baggage within the team - jealousies, rivalries, etc. - and there were two teams that I'm not sure we could beat. Would I have jumped to one of those two teams for a shot to win the league and maybe take a run in states? I just don't know. Probably not, but maybe. Like I said, I remember thinking I might have to be a free agent, and it was a pretty fun exercise to look at teams and think "where would I fit". And I was the second best player in our county, so whatever team I went to would have immediately been a contender in the conference.

And by the way - the second best team in our league was the hated private Catholic school. Absolutely hated that school at the time, they were the evil empire of our county. In hindsight, with the perspective of an adult, had I been given an opportunity to go there, I SHOULD have gone. My 17 year old self - 50/50. My 27 year old self - I probably make that move. My 47 year old self - DUH, GO.

As for college - you can argue I could have transferred, but it's not quite the same thing. After my senior season I had a chance to play in some all star games and USBL tryout camps with some of the kids I'd competed against, and I remember thinking how fun it would have been play with this guy or that guy. So if there was an open "free agent" period, would I have gone situation hunting? Maybe, I don't know.

I know you hate the comparison, but I still think it's valid to look at your own professional/job experience and compare. Would you feel loyalty to an employer who you didn't choose? Have you ever changed jobs for advancement and/or a better situation? Have you ever gone from a job you liked/loved to another one because you felt dead-ended in your current job? All things that Kevin Durant is going to feel as well, to whatever extent. Just because he's in the NBA doesn't mean he doesn't have the same thoughts/feelings that all of us do. And if I was in a job working for a company that I'd had no choice in joining, in a city that I'd had no choice but to live in, and there was an opportunity to openly and ethically go looking for another situation, I'd certainly look...
    Last edited by jrk5150; 02.17.17 at 05:45 AM.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

02.21.17 @ 08:42 PM
    Liked 8,664 Times in 3,599 Posts

Guess what? Durant is still a gutless pussy.
    Webmaster
    VHLinks.com - Your Van Halen Internet Resource Guide
    http://www.vhlinks.com

JamToThis.com
    Audio/Video Trading Community
    Tons of Van Halen!