Little Dreamer
    Favorite VH Album

none
    Favorite VH Song

none
    Last Online

01.22.05 @ 02:41 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I live in the NY area... NJ to be exact, lots of radio to choose from anyway there is a classic rock station they play the stadards Eagles,stones,the who, led zep etc.etc. and also VH. I kinda weirds me out to think of VH as "classic rock". I mean does Unchained sound like classic rock, yeah its a classic tune but I don't think it falls under the "classic rock" umbrella. Does anyone else find this a bit strange???

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen
    Favorite VH Song

Hot for Teacher
    Last Online

10.28.15 @ 05:22 PM
    Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts

Donor

Originally posted by inversion:
    I live in the NY area... NJ to be exact, lots of radio to choose from anyway there is a classic rock station they play the stadards Eagles,stones,the who, led zep etc.etc. and also VH. I kinda weirds me out to think of VH as "classic rock". I mean does Unchained sound like classic rock, yeah its a classic tune but I don't think it falls under the "classic rock" umbrella. Does anyone else find this a bit strange???
    Back a few years ago, I was thumbing through the channels and caught Ozzy on VH1. It was at that moment when I realized I had become my father, and the crap kids listen to today is meaningless. No more Ozzy on MTV... er... you know what I mean, just a bunch of trash talking crap that doesn't make sense. Shit, at least Suicide Solution lets you accompolish something! Compare it to the friggin' "Ketchup" tune. Dammmmmn!

Little Dreamer
    Favorite VH Album

Van Halen 1
    Favorite VH Song

Right Now
    Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Not really. I've always considered the Dave Era to be more "Classic Rock" (even 1984). The Sammy Era, while still keeping that "classic rock" sound, is more or less "modern". So I wouldn't expect my local classic rock station to play any Sammy. I have, however, heard "Runnin' with the Devil", "Dance the Night Away", "And the Cradle will rock...", and "Ain't Talkin Bout Love". In my opinion, the last great "classic rock" song (devoid of time period) was "Me Wise Magic" from 1996. Now only if that song and CGTSNM had come out on VH2... I bet we'd have 3 VH diamond albums. The two songs were just too overdue, yet I love them both. So.... No, I've very glad they play VH on our classic rock stations, and I think they should be played more often.
    How do I know when its love?<br />I can't tell you but it lasts forever.<br />How do I know when its love?<br />Its just somethin you feel together.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning & 1984
    Favorite VH Song

Girl Gone Bad
    Last Online

12.13.17 @ 08:48 AM
    Liked 109 Times in 44 Posts

VH as a band now belong in the classic rock bin. Just like if the Stones come out with a new tune, you will not here it on the new Rock stations, cause it wouldn't fit with the garbage on there and doesn't meet the demo.

Actually, I love classic rock stations, cause I get a taste of old rock like the who and stones, but also some good 80s and 90s stuff, like the cult, VH or Pearl Jam, or Alice In C, or Smash Pump.

95.5 in LA has been a real godsend for me, cause I can finally hear VH (good VH) on the radio. I don't count hearing Dreams play on top 40 or light FM radio as hearing VH. Just doesn't work for me. But rockin VH can be heard all day long.

Romeo Delight
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Little Guitars
    Last Online

02.21.06 @ 01:24 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

When classic rock stations started popping up about 15 years ago or so, all the stuff being played was about 15-20 years old which would make it 30 years old today. A lot of Beatles, Stones Who and Zeppelin were played on those stations. Fast forward to today VH is over 20 years old. Classic rock stations play VH Rush, GnR, Aerosmith etc. There is more classic rock today. Plus simple fact of the matter is we're all getting old when the music we grew up listening to is considered classic rock. So in a nutshell, Vh is classic rock.

Favorite VH Song

Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love
    Last Online

12.17.17 @ 03:32 AM
    Liked 1,484 Times in 905 Posts

Someday bands like Creed and 3 Doors Down will be considered 'Classic Rock'. Although, I hate the thought of Creed being classic.
    Remember the Heroes - 9/11/01

In 2012, the phoenix has risen!!

"High speed, low drag."

"Look at all the people here tonight!!!" - 10/5/07, 5/20/08 Mohegan Sun

Congratulations to Van Halen as part of the Class of 2007 Rock and Roll Hall of Fame!

Cinco de Cabo @ Foxwoods: "A giant party with live music" - S. Hagar

got tequila?

http://keepitaliveforever.com

Little Dreamer
    Favorite VH Album

For Unlawful Carnal Knowledge
    Favorite VH Song

You Really Got Me
    Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I live in the Tampa Bay area. And if Van Halen were to have a new album released today, I cannot think of one station that would play a track from it regularly.

I haven't heard any new songs from Bruce Springsteen, Tom Petty, Def Leppard on any rock stations. And it friggin sucks! Unless your a band that will sing with Britney Spears and Nelly, ala Aerosmith. New material from great rocks bands won't be heard here. [img]graemlins/irked.gif[/img]

Favorite VH Album

The Classic 6 Pack
    Favorite VH Song

Take Your Whiskey Home
    Last Online

11.04.17 @ 06:01 AM
    Liked 185 Times in 65 Posts

It's all a simple matter of age... Hell some of the stuff I grew up with is hitting the frickin Oldies stations.

Classic rock tend to run mostly 60's, 70's & 80's material. Remeber back when Rock was king... so there's a lot of material there to work with.

Secondly... musically there's a large market within us baby boomers leading into generation X. Radio stations target advertising market groups. I think you will see an even bigger proliferation of "Classic" rock radio in the next 10-15 years as more of us boomers & X'ers dominate the financial markets with our buying power.

I don't see 3 Doors Down, Creed, Lickin Pork any of the current "rock" groups penetrating much if at all in the classic rock market. At best long term they'll play out probably in the same vein as punk and grunge... a popular thing in their day but not much of money burner as mainstream rock has been over a 20, 30 or 40 year stretch.
    Woke up this mornin, got Blue Moon in your eyes...
    http://www.myretrolounge.com

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Dreams
    Last Online

01.08.05 @ 11:08 AM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

It's a rotation. The Oldies station around here started adding early 70s pop standards to their playlists. In time, when the music on the radio right now is on "classic rock" stations, you'll be able to catch your favorite Van Halen songs on the local Oldies station. Yeah, oldies.

'Tis the way things go, unfortunately. VH isn't exactly doing much to keep themselves current.
    "Just once I'd like to do the right thing and not get punished for it."

Favorite VH Album

all of them
    Favorite VH Song

If its Eddie, its Van Halen
    Last Online

12.17.17 @ 11:10 AM
    Liked 527 Times in 242 Posts

Most classic rock stations also play new songs by "classic Rock" artists. So the label "classic rock station" should really be "classic rock stars" instead. I love those stations, because I can't stand most new bands. But even "Van Hagar" is considered classic rock by these people. Which you know what? It suits me just fine. Because I define classic rock as music that has stood the test of time and is not just about some fad. If your song gets airplay on classic rock , then you know you did something right. [img]graemlins/thumb.gif[/img]
    'Old Van Halen, when I was in it-classic Van Halen-makes you wanna drink, dance and screw, right? And the new Van Halen encourages you to drink milk, drive a Nissan and have a relationship.' - David Lee Roth.