Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

"Unchained"
    Last Online

12.01.16 @ 03:06 PM
    Liked 1,312 Times in 418 Posts

Default ADKOT still stands up

The thread about "Tattoo" and "Up for Breakfast" got me into listening to ADKOT again recently. After a handful of spins in the car, I am blown away at how blown away I still am over this album!

"Tattoo" felt like a neat little bit of nostalgia for me -- I remember how exciting it was to hear the very first snippets of that tune. That said, it is the weakest tune on the album.

When "She's the Woman" came up, I felt an overload of goosebumps. This one belongs in the pantheon of Flawless VH Songs. Every single thing about that track is perfection.

"You and Your Blues" is a bit overlooked to me for some reason. What an incredible tune, especially vocally.

"China Town" -- another one for the pantheon. What an absolutely amazing track -- and a big step outside of the proverbial VH box IMHO.

"Blood and Fire" and "Bullethead" are excellent, although I prefer the original "Back to School" version of B&F. The heavily effected solo to "Bullethead" is extremely unique for Ed.

"As Is" and "Honeybabysweetiedoll" are the next most stand-out tunes for me in the long run. I feel like they were really taking chances and treading new ground and it paid off.

"The Trouble With Never" is another one in the "Tattoo" category for me. Very good, but it's no...

..."Outta Space". What an incredible tune -- and a very creative concept ("out of space"). This one is in the same category as "As Is" and "Honeybabysweetiedoll" -- new ground and it paid off. It's still paying off.

Which leads me to "Stay Frosty" -- the best tune on ADKOT. This is as Van Halen as Van Halen gets. It's got the VH1 vibe plus a little something new and different. I think it is a high crime that this song was not played on tour! I love every single thing about this track, and the fact that Dave essentially wrote it is all good for me.

"Big River" and "Beats Workin'" are excellent later album tracks and I love them both equally. I think that "Stay Frosty" may have made for a better closer in the vein of "Beautiful Girls".

All in all -- 4+ years on and this album still strikes me as a masterpiece and rounds out the Magnificent Seven.

If you haven't spun it for a while -- it had been easily over a year and half for me -- queue it up and soak it in. I'm hoping we'll get another, but if we don't, ADKOT was as good as it could have been, and maybe even better.

KBD3

Favorite VH Album

The Super Seven
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained/I'm the One
    Last Online

12.02.16 @ 12:58 AM
    Liked 318 Times in 167 Posts

Premium Member

I thought it was solid when it came out. Seems like it grows on me each time I listen to it. Felt like the first real Van Halen album in 28 years despite the absence of Michael Anthony. Nice break down of the songs, I completely concur.

3. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Sinner's Swing!
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Drop Dead Legs
    Last Online

12.01.16 @ 03:44 PM
    Liked 2,125 Times in 1,076 Posts

I listen to it all the time, I just don't often listen to it all the way through because of ear fatigue because it's so loud and abrasive, but that's certainly not unique to VH, just the way things often are now. But it's never been out of rotation for me.

5. The Following 3 Members Like This Post:

Favorite VH Album

WOMEN AND CHILDREN FIRST/ADKOT
    Favorite VH Song

EVERYBODY WANTS SOME!!
    Last Online

12.02.16 @ 06:54 AM
    Liked 5,345 Times in 2,797 Posts

Premium Member

Still love the album. The VH album I waited 28 years for. Their heaviest album since 1984, which is what I wanted, but honestly not what I expected. And, for me, no filler, just killer.

As Is, Beats Workin, Blood & Fire, You And Your Blues, and Outta Space I guess would be my top 5 tracks. But then I remember how much I love the whole album, and Tattoo and The Trouble With Never are probably the two weakest tracks for me. A lot of people don't like Bullethead, but it's primal and four on the floor, with some of Dave's funniest lines, and when I'm driving that song makes me speed every time.

Much love and appreciation for this album. Good thread, Kevin.

7. The Following 5 Members Like This Post:

Last Online

12.02.16 @ 09:40 AM
    Liked 1,626 Times in 639 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

I just recently gave the entire VH catalog a re-play (yes, including VHIII). When you look at their discography as a whole and take into account their age and the gap in productivity, ADKOT really is phenomenal. It is worth of being placed next to the original six pack. Here's my song-by-song analysis and opinions on the album. There's not a bad tune on there, but there are a few I could live without. Like a few of the other more recent fans, this was the first NEW Van Halen album I could buy in a store on the release date, so it'll always hold a special place in my heart.

1. Tattoo - I used to be indifferent about this song, but listening to it now is kind of endearing, as it was the first taste of new VH with Dave that I ever got. Definitely a misstep to release as the first single though.
    2. She’s The Woman - Should’ve been the first single. Classic VH with a 2012 makeover.
    3. You and Your Blues - Has always reminded me of “One I Want” from VH III. Wouldn’t be surprised if this was a leftover from that era. Some of Dave's vocal reaches bother me, but overall a solid tune.
    4. China Town - What an ass kicker. Was instantly one of my favorites on the album.
    5. Blood and Fire - Nice update to Ripley.
    6. Bullethead - Totally a “meh” song for me. I get a few chuckles out of Dave’s lyrics, but musically this song is a bit boring. I don't like the overly chorused solo either.
    7. As Is - Really neat tune, love all its twists and turns.
    8. Honeybabysweetiedoll - Again, cool song. I don’t find myself seeking it out, but I don’t skip it when it comes on either. Just something different. Love Dave’s Dog barking in the break towards the end.
    9. The Trouble With Never - Another new tune I really dig. There’s the Crosstown Traffic similarities, but I also feel this may have been a bit influenced by Extreme, so it could've come out of the Gary era.
    10. Outta Space - While “Let’s Get Rockin’” had a better lyrical theme I think Dave’s melodies improved on this song. Another tune that captures the classic VH spirit and updates it for the 2010s.
    11. Stay Frosty - Fun tune, but it’s essentially Ice Cream Man 2.0. Eddie’s solos are fire, Dave’s lyrics are clever, but those “uh uh uh” runs in the beginning are pretty grating. Acoustic tone on the intro is weird too.
    12. Big River - LOVE the solo section on this. Ed and Wolf sound awesome together. I always really liked the main riff in this tune, so I was glad they refreshed it.
    13. Beats Workin’ - Hard to handle Dave on this tune. The band’s on point, but it’s definitely my least favorite of the updated tracks.

Overall it's a kick ass record. I do wish the production was reigned in a bit. Less gain on the guitars and less brickwall, please. If this ends up being VH's last studio effort then they've gone out with a band. But fingers are still crossed for at least one more studio album.

Favorite VH Album

VH, 1984, 5150, F.U.C.K.
    Favorite VH Song

A few of Daves, a few of Sams!
    Last Online

12.02.16 @ 08:04 AM
    Liked 4,828 Times in 3,411 Posts

Premium Member

Great album! No argument here...

However, in going for an effected solo that is unique for Ed, I'd also mention the haphazard first part of the From Afar solo... More Hendrix than TTWN, imo.

Trippy !
    "There's too many people on this basketball that's floating around the sun, who are too afraid to allow themselves to FEEL" - Edward Van Halen
    "Van Halen was never about the singer..." - a very wise fan.
    "Embrace the past. Live in the moment but keep your eyes on the future, and keep on moving forward..." - Richie Sambora

10. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Last Online

12.01.16 @ 07:54 PM
    Liked 1,366 Times in 550 Posts

Premium Member

ADKOT is in my top 5 favorite albums ever. It has a unique place for me due to the anticipation and excitement when it came out. As Is and Chinatown are my favorites.

Sent from my VS425 using Tapatalk

12. The Following 3 Members Like This Post:

Favorite VH Song

Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love
    Last Online

12.02.16 @ 09:17 AM
    Liked 876 Times in 544 Posts

An updated, classic sound of Van Halen. Yeah, Mike isn't on vocals but the band plays great on this album.
    Remember the Heroes - 9/11/01

In 2012, the phoenix has risen!!

"High speed, low drag."

"Look at all the people here tonight!!!" - 10/5/07, 5/20/08 Mohegan Sun

Congratulations to Van Halen as part of the Class of 2007 Rock and Roll Hall of Fame!

Cinco de Cabo @ Foxwoods: "A giant party with live music" - S. Hagar

got tequila?

http://keepitaliveforever.com

14. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Favorite VH Album

WACF
    Favorite VH Song

Romeo Delight
    Last Online

11.23.16 @ 07:47 AM
    Liked 46 Times in 33 Posts

Blood & Fire, As Is, China Town, & Big River all day.
    Music inspired from my love of VH https://joezrocks.bandcamp.com/releases

16. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Favorite VH Album

('78-'84) VH 1; ('86-'95) 5150
    Favorite VH Song

Dave- I'm The One ; Sam- 5150
    Last Online

11.24.16 @ 12:59 PM
    Liked 459 Times in 244 Posts

Still a great album. Dave is so-so with some strong moments but some real cringe-worthy moments too. But Ed is ridiculous on it. Amazing guitar playing all over this album.

The dumbest thing ever to come from ADKOT is the criticism that they were lazy and took the easy way out be reworking demos. Give me a fkn break. Four years later and I still don't understand what's so bad about dusting off UNRELEASED riffs and songs and giving them a fresh sound. Especially when they did it all the time back then. It's just such a stupid criticism and people still can't deal with it. I don't get it at all. The VH fanbase can be some of the most miserable fans going. Never fucking happy.
    VH with Dave ('78-'84) - The best years....the "real" VH.
    VH with Sam ('86-'96) - Incredible era....."We have renamed this town 'New Halen!'.
    VH with Gary ('98) - Fucking disaster. WTF was that??
    VH with Wolf/Dave ('12-'15) - Amazing comeback. Smokin' album and tours.

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by Jedi McFly View Post
    I just recently gave the entire VH catalog a re-play (yes, including VHIII). When you look at their discography as a whole and take into account their age and the gap in productivity, ADKOT really is phenomenal. It is worth of being placed next to the original six pack. Here's my song-by-song analysis and opinions on the album. There's not a bad tune on there, but there are a few I could live without. Like a few of the other more recent fans, this was the first NEW Van Halen album I could buy in a store on the release date, so it'll always hold a special place in my heart.

1. Tattoo - I used to be indifferent about this song, but listening to it now is kind of endearing, as it was the first taste of new VH with Dave that I ever got. Definitely a misstep to release as the first single though.
    2. She’s The Woman - Should’ve been the first single. Classic VH with a 2012 makeover.
    3. You and Your Blues - Has always reminded me of “One I Want” from VH III. Wouldn’t be surprised if this was a leftover from that era. Some of Dave's vocal reaches bother me, but overall a solid tune.
    4. China Town - What an ass kicker. Was instantly one of my favorites on the album.
    5. Blood and Fire - Nice update to Ripley.
    6. Bullethead - Totally a “meh” song for me. I get a few chuckles out of Dave’s lyrics, but musically this song is a bit boring. I don't like the overly chorused solo either.
    7. As Is - Really neat tune, love all its twists and turns.
    8. Honeybabysweetiedoll - Again, cool song. I don’t find myself seeking it out, but I don’t skip it when it comes on either. Just something different. Love Dave’s Dog barking in the break towards the end.
    9. The Trouble With Never - Another new tune I really dig. There’s the Crosstown Traffic similarities, but I also feel this may have been a bit influenced by Extreme, so it could've come out of the Gary era.
    10. Outta Space - While “Let’s Get Rockin’” had a better lyrical theme I think Dave’s melodies improved on this song. Another tune that captures the classic VH spirit and updates it for the 2010s.
    11. Stay Frosty - Fun tune, but it’s essentially Ice Cream Man 2.0. Eddie’s solos are fire, Dave’s lyrics are clever, but those “uh uh uh” runs in the beginning are pretty grating. Acoustic tone on the intro is weird too.
    12. Big River - LOVE the solo section on this. Ed and Wolf sound awesome together. I always really liked the main riff in this tune, so I was glad they refreshed it.
    13. Beats Workin’ - Hard to handle Dave on this tune. The band’s on point, but it’s definitely my least favorite of the updated tracks.

Overall it's a kick ass record. I do wish the production was reigned in a bit. Less gain on the guitars and less brickwall, please. If this ends up being VH's last studio effort then they've gone out with a band. But fingers are still crossed for at least one more studio album.
    Almost word for word the review I would give the album. We share the same opinions of pretty much all of it.

One difference is on Stay Frosty I have nothing negative to say about it. I'll take Ice Cream Man 2.0 and if there's another album coming I'd take a 3.0 too. Ed is blistering on both of them. The solos on Frosty are mesmerizing.
    VH with Sam ('86-'96) - Incredible era....."We have renamed this town 'New Halen!'.

19. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Favorite VH Album

Alex, Dave, Ed and Mike
    Favorite VH Song

Little Guitars
    Last Online

12.02.16 @ 09:35 AM
    Liked 11,814 Times in 5,785 Posts

Premium Member

It was a great comeback album, it fits in well with the catalog and is better than some of the material they have released.

No complaints, I rocked out to that sucker every day for a while. I still really like about half of it.
    Taylor Swift is nice to look at. Adele can sing.

Emperor Brett - "I can't believe you guys are analyzing song-by-song Van Halen III? What next, analyzing the script of Stroker Ace looking for some shred of Citizen Kane?"

David Lee Roth did the impossible. He made Van Halen better. Deal with it!

Preferred pronouns: he/him/his

Hurricane Halen - Let's all gingery touch our sword tips!!!

DONATE TO THE LINKS YA CHEAP BASTARDS!!!!

21. The Following 2 Members Like This Post:

Favorite VH Album

WOMEN AND CHILDREN FIRST/ADKOT
    Favorite VH Song

EVERYBODY WANTS SOME!!
    Last Online

12.02.16 @ 06:54 AM
    Liked 5,345 Times in 2,797 Posts

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by Double Down View Post
    Still a great album. Dave is so-so with some strong moments but some real cringe-worthy moments too. But Ed is ridiculous on it. Amazing guitar playing all over this album.

The dumbest thing ever to come from ADKOT is the criticism that they were lazy and took the easy way out be reworking demos. Give me a fkn break. Four years later and I still don't understand what's so bad about dusting off UNRELEASED riffs and songs and giving them a fresh sound. Especially when they did it all the time back then. It's just such a stupid criticism and people still can't deal with it. I don't get it at all. The VH fanbase can be some of the most miserable fans going. Never fucking happy.
    Especially when NOBODY in the public was really supposed to have heard those demos. I think it wouldve been a travesty if those songs had NEVER been properly recorded and released.

23. The Following 6 Members Like This Post:

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by JUNGLE DRUMMER View Post
    Especially when NOBODY in the public was really supposed to have heard those demos. I think it wouldve been a travesty if those songs had NEVER been properly recorded and released.
    Exactly. It's been my feeling since it came out. Without YouTube how many people know or own the demos?

How is a killer sounding 2012 recording of She's The Woman a bad thing? Again...it was an UNRELEASED DEMO. It's not like they cherry picked the best of VH1 and VH2 and re-recorded them in 2012!

Every time I listened to Outta Space in that first year I was like 'thank god they gave me this as an official recording.' The guitar work on that tune is so damn good!

25. The Following 6 Members Like This Post:

Romeo Delight
    Favorite VH Album

I-II-WACF-FW-DD-1984-ADKOT
    Favorite VH Song

Hear About It Later
    Last Online

11.29.16 @ 03:34 AM
    Liked 16 Times in 11 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by snowdog View Post
    I listen to it all the time, I just don't often listen to it all the way through because of ear fatigue because it's so loud and abrasive, but that's certainly not unique to VH, just the way things often are now. But it's never been out of rotation for me.
    I listen to it infrequently, so each time I do fire it up it's surprising how tough it is to listen to it. This album made me understand what was meant by "ear fatigue". When it first came out, I listened to nothing else for weeks while in the car, so ,I became accustomed to it. Now when I listen I have to adjust the eq settings.