VH, 1984, 5150, F.U.C.K.
    Favorite VH Song

A few of Daves, a few of Sams!
    Last Online

12.03.16 @ 03:16 AM
    Liked 4,833 Times in 3,414 Posts

Premium Member

Default Upcoming NGD suggestions?

I'm going to have a new guitar day, coming up. That much is certain... I've narrowed it down to three candidates;
    Sterling AX40D, with the coveted EVH/Axis pickups, and purple quilt finish. Ibanez Jem Jr. in white. Just not sure how long it would take to be comfortable with the vine inlays on the fretboard!? Haha. Charvel 2016 San Dimas in white.

I'd certainly get a trem stopper for either of the last two axes! Just curious as to what some of you have to say/suggest? Truth be told, I know which one I'm leaning towards, and which one will follow... But hey, things have been slow around here!
    Discuss...
    "There's too many people on this basketball that's floating around the sun, who are too afraid to allow themselves to FEEL" - Edward Van Halen
    "Van Halen was never about the singer..." - a very wise fan.
    "Embrace the past. Live in the moment but keep your eyes on the future, and keep on moving forward..." - Richie Sambora

Favorite VH Album

VHII
    Favorite VH Song

Light up the Sky
    Last Online

12.02.16 @ 06:29 PM
    Liked 88 Times in 52 Posts

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by RRvh1 View Post
    I'm going to have a new guitar day, coming up. That much is certain... I've narrowed it down to three candidates;
    Sterling AX40D, with the coveted EVH/Axis pickups, and purple quilt finish. Ibanez Jem Jr. in white. Just not sure how long it would take to be comfortable with the vine inlays on the fretboard!? Haha. Charvel 2016 San Dimas in white.

I'd certainly get a trem stopper for either of the last two axes! Just curious as to what some of you have to say/suggest? Truth be told, I know which one I'm leaning towards, and which one will follow... But hey, things have been slow around here!
    Discuss...
    I'd go San Dimas! I love the way those play. Just feels right. IMHO
    ~ I like the way the line runs up the back of her stockings ~

3. The Following 2 Members Like This Post:

Favorite VH Album

VH, 1984, 5150, F.U.C.K.
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by ScottyBHarris View Post
    I'd go San Dimas! I love the way those play. Just feels right. IMHO
    My main guitar for many years, was a Charvel model 1, with aftermarket Schaller Floyd and locking nut. I've really been wanting to get back to that style of guitar, and I really like the new models that have the ability to split the humbuckers! It's a strong candidate for sure...
    "There's too many people on this basketball that's floating around the sun, who are too afraid to allow themselves to FEEL" - Edward Van Halen
    "Embrace the past. Live in the moment but keep your eyes on the future, and keep on moving forward..." - Richie Sambora

Favorite VH Album

Pirates of the Carribean
    Favorite VH Song

How Many Say Aye?
    Last Online

12.03.16 @ 04:36 AM
    Liked 993 Times in 526 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

I love my MIJ SAN Dimas. Only thing I've done to it is add a trem stopper. Thinking about a brass block too.
    -TVH-

If there must be trouble, let it be in my day, that my child may have peace. -Thomas Paine

What is government itself but the greatest of all reflections on human nature? - James Madison

Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the Government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian. - Henry Ford

6. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Last Online

12.03.16 @ 01:15 AM
    Liked 1,638 Times in 643 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

Definitely the San Dimas. I've played all 3 in stores recently and jived with the SD the most. While the Sterling series are great guitars something about their necks still feels very budget to me. I'm also not a fan of the frets. The SD I played this afternoon felt great. And with the blade switch you can have more than 3 pickup options.

Good luck in your decision, and enjoy!

8. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Favorite VH Album

('78-'84) VH 1; ('86-'95) 5150
    Favorite VH Song

Dave- I'm The One ; Sam- 5150
    Last Online

11.24.16 @ 12:59 PM
    Liked 459 Times in 244 Posts

Personally it definitely would not be be the JEM.

I'd go white San Dimas all day out of those three.
    VH with Dave ('78-'84) - The best years....the "real" VH.
    VH with Sam ('86-'96) - Incredible era....."We have renamed this town 'New Halen!'.
    VH with Gary ('98) - Fucking disaster. WTF was that??
    VH with Wolf/Dave ('12-'15) - Amazing comeback. Smokin' album and tours.

10. The Following 2 Members Like This Post:

Favorite VH Album

VH, 1984, 5150, F.U.C.K.
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Premium Member

Thanks for the input ^^^, guys!
    Tbh... I was leaning Ax40, then Jem Jr., then Charvel.
    At least, yesterday! Lol.

Favorite VH Album

VH, 1984, 5150, F.U.C.K.
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by Double Down View Post
    Personally it definitely would not be be the JEM.

I'd go white San Dimas all day out of those three.
    Curious as to why? The Jem is one I'm almost partial to. Just for the versatility, 24 jumbo frets, and price. Not to mention, the monkey grip!

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Push comes to shove
    Last Online

12.02.16 @ 07:19 AM
    Liked 887 Times in 550 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

I have an 09 USA Charvel San Dimas HH. It's a killer guitar. The floating trem kinda sucks. I put a trem stopper in and it's all good.

14. The Following 3 Members Like This Post:

Favorite VH Album

For Unlawful Carnal Knowledge
    Favorite VH Song

Mine All Mine
    Last Online

12.01.16 @ 03:59 PM
    Liked 509 Times in 299 Posts

Premium Member

Ax40d.

Why?

Because you'll sell one or two of your other Ax40s. And then you could use that towards that Charvel.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

HAIL, DDL, Dirty Movies
    Last Online

12.03.16 @ 03:07 AM
    Liked 1,043 Times in 520 Posts

Premium Member

I've got the Jem Jr and two Charvels, both San Dimas's( although one of them needs a neck, so its unplayable ATM).

I liked the Jem when I first got it. I played it for a while and it felt pretty good to play. The pups aren't bad but will be replaced at some point. I liked the feel of the trem on it. It feels a lot better than the "cheaper" trems Ibanez used to use. It feels more like a Floyd Special than those old Lo Trs (or whatever they were called) they used to use. They were terrible. It was a good guitar fr a while. I put it in the rack for a while (I've got a few guitars and rotate them every few weeks) and I didnt play it for a while and when I picked it back up, I notice a few changes. First, the fret ends started popping out the edge of the neck (that could be a weather thing though), the neck moved a little and now buzzes on the first 3 frets (again, probably weather related but no other neck I own has done that so quickly, if at all) and the screws in the trem loosened a little because of the soft cheap metal they use. I picked it up, plugged it in & bent a note and 2 strings broke. When I looked closer, I realized the the trem screws loosened on all the saddles.... This is after maybe 5 weeks of not touching it... Luckily I had a spare Floyd Rose here and they fit quite nicely so you will have to replace the trem that's in it. All the things I mentioned are easy fixes, but it shouldn't really happen with a guitar that was only a few months old. I'm not say this will happen to yours, but it happened to mine and I thought I'd tell you. The guitar is in parts right now as I swirled it, but it will be back together soon.

Charvels on the other hand are awesome. I love them. As I said, I've got 2 atm and plan on getting a few more next year. They are fast becoming my favorite guitars. They play great, sound great, look great... I cant say enough about them.

I haven't played an Ax40, so I cant comment on them. I do have the EVH EBMM though and that thing is stupid good.

Good luck to whichever you decide....

Dutchie: team Charvel.
    If you have nothing nice to say about Eddie Van Halen, you're at the right website. - Me (A few years ago)

"People take Van Halen much more seriously than we do" - David Lee Roth (1980's)

"I don't sit on the end of your bed while you're trying to make a living" - David Lee Roth (1988)

"For some reason people love to complain about everything. The internet has made it easy for people to do that. Shut the fuck up and get a life, or show me how good you can do it."- Edward Van Halen

"A lot of people ask me which Van Halen singer was better. You can't compare them. It's like asking which guitarist is better. Nobody is better than anybody. Every player is their own person."-Edward Van Halen

"I do like Eddie Van Halen as a player. He gets it right quite often." -Paul McCartney

17. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Last Online

12.01.16 @ 03:45 PM
    Liked 383 Times in 189 Posts

I've been looking hard at the Jem Jr. lately. Not because it's what I want, but because it isn't. I think, based on the ones that I've played, that it's a pretty solid guitar. Yeah, the trem isn't top-of-the-line, but it seems to be pretty stable. I would mainly want it to tinker with. I'm already looking at it with a build list to make it "right".

-Replace pickups- Thinking of a Steve's Special for the Bridge, and maybe an Air Norton for the neck.
    -Replace pickguard with a pearloid pickguard
    -Replace all hardware with gold/upgrade to a FU trem

I know I would have more invested in parts than what the guitar is worth, but what the hell, that's what I do.
    "Having an opinion that people disagree with doesn't make you a Douche, arguing with the people who disagree with your opinion and calling them stupid does!" -Me.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

HAIL, DDL, Dirty Movies
    Last Online

12.03.16 @ 03:07 AM
    Liked 1,043 Times in 520 Posts

Premium Member

^ I agree. I didn't buy mine to keep it original either. I was always going to upgrade it. The pups and trem were always going to go. I'm a little ticked off about the neck but like I said, its an easy fix. I just wanted to let RR know what happened to mine.

Here how my body looks now. I need to wet sand it soon.... Summer's coming and I want it back together before then...

If you have nothing nice to say about Eddie Van Halen, you're at the right website. - Me (A few years ago)

"People take Van Halen much more seriously than we do" - David Lee Roth (1980's)

"I don't sit on the end of your bed while you're trying to make a living" - David Lee Roth (1988)

"For some reason people love to complain about everything. The internet has made it easy for people to do that. Shut the fuck up and get a life, or show me how good you can do it."- Edward Van Halen

"A lot of people ask me which Van Halen singer was better. You can't compare them. It's like asking which guitarist is better. Nobody is better than anybody. Every player is their own person."-Edward Van Halen

"I do like Eddie Van Halen as a player. He gets it right quite often." -Paul McCartney

20. The Following 2 Members Like This Post:

Last Online

12.03.16 @ 01:15 AM
    Liked 1,638 Times in 643 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by Dutchie5150 View Post
    Summer's coming and I want it back together before then...
    This confused the hell out of me till I looked at your location.

22. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Favorite VH Album

VH, 1984, 5150, F.U.C.K.
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Premium Member

Great insights into the Jem Jr.
    Thanks, guys!