Eruption
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

I'm The One
    Last Online

12.26.18 @ 07:56 PM
    Liked 651 Times in 358 Posts

Tattoo grew on me. I didn't think much of it at first, but when ADKOT came out I listened to the album almost constantly for about a month on repeat and after a few listens began liking Tattoo. Not a fan of it live though in any of the boots I've heard or Tokyo.

Last Online

11.11.19 @ 07:22 AM
    Liked 138 Times in 68 Posts

Up For Breakfast is a really catchy song too. I agree Tattoo and most of the new songs don't sound that great live though. I get both it's about time and up for breakfast popping into my head for no apparent reason sometimes. I admit it. Adnot has some catchy stuff like that too. Something about the energy of those songs and how they open up. They have good intros. Up For Breakfast has one the better van halen intros ever imo. It's not I'll wait or Mean streets or Everybody wants some but catchy still. It's a little too much like Why can't this be love with the bass sound but who cares. The first verse with Sammy is great. They have a certain cheese factor and so does the new stuff but it's still van halen. It's more blatant than the old stuff. Sammy is obviously talking about his dick.

The intro to up for breakfast is like everybody wants some, ill wait and why can't this be love if they mated in ways but more blatant.
    Last edited by JudgementDay; 09.29.16 at 08:02 AM.

Favorite VH Album

Alex, Dave, Ed and Mike
    Favorite VH Song

The songs with Ed on them
    Last Online

11.20.19 @ 04:51 AM
    Liked 26,626 Times in 13,435 Posts

I think She's the Woman translates well live, that should be in the set consistently instead of China Town, but China Town is a show off song for Wolf, so I understand why it's there.

As for Tattoo, I didn't like it, still really don't, but I grew to appreciate it after learning to play. Lots of little nuanced stuff going on that made me appreciate it, and I think they released it first because they are proud of it all around. For me, it's a well written and executed song that I don't particularly like.

Not a critique, just an observation.
    If I don't respond to you it means I have you on ignore, which means you are a douchenozzle.

Emperor Brett - "I can't believe you guys are analyzing song-by-song Van Halen III? What next, analyzing the script of Stroker Ace looking for some shred of Citizen Kane?"

David Lee Roth did the impossible. He made Van Halen better. Deal with it!

A man's rights rests in three boxes: the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box

Hurricane Halen - Let's all gingery touch our sword tips!!!

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen II
    Favorite VH Song

Dance the Night Away
    Last Online

05.08.19 @ 10:10 AM
    Liked 4,223 Times in 2,233 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Pacfanweb View Post
    Now...Up for Breakfast. Those are just the dumbest damned lyrics. He was 50-ish years old, writing that crap? And he thought it was funny. Just didn't work.
    And there is why rock music is the only genre that is for young musicians. If Sammy wrote that lyric in 1982 no one would blink....we might even think it was awesome.

We almost always think the best music a rock act puts out just happens to be what they produce in their 20s...by an amazing coincidence. Even though we logically know that most musicians should get more knowledgeable about their instruments, songwriting, and lyrics as they get older....it very rarely appeals to us as much as the music they made in their 20s.

I mean..."rock and roll" actually is an allusion to the act of sex so the genre is built around hormones, youth, and reckless abandon. Sucks for rock musicians of course. It's like being a pro athlete, you have a short window in your life to have success.

Van Halen is a great example. They actually put out a bunch of songs they wrote in their teens and early 20s, but we knew it was being played by some 50-60 year olds so it wasn't "as good as the demos". I personally didn't know about the demos so it just sounded like some of the best riffs and songs they had produced since the 80s to me. What a coincidence it would sound that way to me, right? Those riffs were written by a young hungry EVH and I picked up on it somehow. My least favorite song on ADKOT?.....The Trouble with Never. A song they wrote for the album. What are the odds?

Favorite VH Album

FAIR WARNING
    Favorite VH Song

Dirty Movies & Girl Gone Bad
    Last Online

08.20.19 @ 04:01 PM
    Liked 5,169 Times in 2,434 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by NoBrownM&M's View Post
    Wow. The crushing weight of one era's airplay vs another's.
    I didn't notice

Favorite VH Album

FUCK or 5150
    Favorite VH Song

Mine All Mine, 5150
    Last Online

11.20.19 @ 06:01 AM
    Liked 2,335 Times in 1,393 Posts

not to defend UFB but I think, when we look back and we know what kind of shape ed was in while they did the BOBW songs, I think Sam just wanted to get the fuck out of there. Hindsight being what it is, Sam never should have signed up for anything with Ed in that shape but he did and I think a pretty short time after he just wanted to get the fuck out of there.

I never listen to those songs anymore. I still think IAT is "ok" at best. LTS was the best of the bunch and I still think it's kind of terrible.

all of 04 was a total disaster IMHO.

7. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Hot For Teacher
    Last Online

11.02.19 @ 12:44 PM
    Liked 100 Times in 50 Posts

The things that make IAT VH's worst song (imo) are Ed's hideous intro, and the lame ass lyrics written about the reunion itself. I hate songs that do this, Kiss did it with Psycho Circus and Judas Priest did it with Revolution.

Favorite VH Album

FUCK or 5150
    Favorite VH Song

Mine All Mine, 5150
    Last Online

11.20.19 @ 06:01 AM
    Liked 2,335 Times in 1,393 Posts

the song is all over the map. back in the day Ed could noodle and it always worked when he does it on IAT it just sounds out of place.

the lyrics are "ok", I think it was already coming apart when they wrote that, they're not good by any stretch of the imagination. it's just a jumbled mess. there is no context for things like the "hey Mike, Hey sam" part....it's like....what is that in there for?

Eruption
    Last Online

02.23.18 @ 12:04 PM
    Liked 700 Times in 399 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Darrin Stephens View Post
    Unrelated but this reminded me of a colorful evening in 87 when I actually did have to assist in a different way. Girl wanted to take a champagne bath and well it was a celebration so wtf. Well fyi don't do it, had to take her to the ER for vaginal burns due to the alcohol. Funny how random shit gets jarred loose by posts, well looked good on paper anyway.

And yes Fair Warning is perfection
    It's been so long you can reasonably add flavor to that story. Maybe you recall playing FW on the way to the hospital. That's a bummer for the girl. She probably has not told that story again. Nice defiling.

Baluchitherium
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Drop Dead Legs
    Last Online

11.20.19 @ 05:30 AM
    Liked 3,879 Times in 1,964 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Darkness View Post
    The things that make IAT VH's worst song (imo) are Ed's hideous intro, and the lame ass lyrics written about the reunion itself. I hate songs that do this, Kiss did it with Psycho Circus and Judas Priest did it with Revolution.
    Yeah, I'm a huge Judas Priest fan and like in so many other cases with other bands they released Revolution off that album which in my mind was by far the worst song on the album, not even counting the lyrics. But as a hardcore fan of many bands I guess I'm just the opposite of the target audience. Bland and generic (like Can't Stop Loving You) is the goal with singles. Nothing challenging (or interesting).

12. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Baluchitherium
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Drop Dead Legs
    Last Online

11.20.19 @ 05:30 AM
    Liked 3,879 Times in 1,964 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Harpospoke View Post
    And there is why rock music is the only genre that is for young musicians. If Sammy wrote that lyric in 1982 no one would blink....we might even think it was awesome.

We almost always think the best music a rock act puts out just happens to be what they produce in their 20s...by an amazing coincidence. Even though we logically know that most musicians should get more knowledgeable about their instruments, songwriting, and lyrics as they get older....it very rarely appeals to us as much as the music they made in their 20s.

I mean..."rock and roll" actually is an allusion to the act of sex so the genre is built around hormones, youth, and reckless abandon. Sucks for rock musicians of course. It's like being a pro athlete, you have a short window in your life to have success.

Van Halen is a great example. They actually put out a bunch of songs they wrote in their teens and early 20s, but we knew it was being played by some 50-60 year olds so it wasn't "as good as the demos". I personally didn't know about the demos so it just sounded like some of the best riffs and songs they had produced since the 80s to me. What a coincidence it would sound that way to me, right? Those riffs were written by a young hungry EVH and I picked up on it somehow. My least favorite song on ADKOT?.....The Trouble with Never. A song they wrote for the album. What are the odds?
    I always enjoy your posts Harpo, but I just don't agree with a lot of this. But it's completely subjective of course. I also think it's pretty well established that TTWN was the Hendrix sounding song described from around 2000-2001. To my mind the only possible "new" songs on ADKOT are Stay Frosty, which Dave claims to have written himself, and possibly You and Your Blues. Two of my favorites on the album. As far as young bands always being better, if you're talking about just sheer aggressiveness and stage energy then yeah, that's a function of youth. But like with anything else people get better the more they do something unless they damage themselves with vices. These older bands have survived this long but there really hasn't been a receptive audience or platform for showing off new rock music in decades.

Most bands don't hit it big right away, for every one that has a monster debut like Van Halen and Boston and Guns and Roses there are a ton of big names where they had 6, 7, 8, albums before they even made it big. after that, it's just the diminishing returns factor, it's hard to make an impression over and over and over. If F.U.C.K. had been VH's debut album in 1978 it probably would have been just as revolutionary. But many years later it's just "their next album". That's not the fault of the band, it's just saturation and long-term exposure. Think of it this way, there are anonymous kids on youtube doing things on guitar that would have made them world famous at another time. Now they're insignificant. Also, rock was such a young form of music, and the audience was young, and young people will forever be more impressionable than older people. There's not a song Van Halen could write that will resonate with 55 year olds like the songs they listened to when they were teenagers and have lived with for 35-40 years.

Watch this guy. Will he ever be known like Malmsteen or Vai or Van Halen? No, because he's just some dude doing what others have done. He's no less impressive, but the impact is nil. It's like that with bands but on a macro level.

14. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Favorite VH Album

The First One
    Favorite VH Song

I'm The One
    Last Online

11.19.19 @ 05:53 PM
    Liked 24,677 Times in 14,017 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Darrin Stephens View Post
    Unrelated but this reminded me of a colorful evening in 87 when I actually did have to assist in a different way. Girl wanted to take a champagne bath and well it was a celebration so wtf. Well fyi don't do it, had to take her to the ER for vaginal burns due to the alcohol. Funny how random shit gets jarred loose by posts, well looked good on paper anyway.

And yes Fair Warning is perfection
    "I can almost taste it, it burns ..."

"It's so lonely at the top because it's so crowded at the bottom" - Diamond David Lee Roth

"The truth sounds like hate to those who hate the truth" - Todd Wagner

"Women and Children First ... The REAL Van Halen III"

16. The Following 2 Members Like This Post:

Sinner's Swing!
    Last Online

11.20.19 @ 05:43 AM
    Liked 4,763 Times in 2,145 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by 5150u812 View Post
    It's been so long you can reasonably add flavor to that story. Maybe you recall playing FW on the way to the hospital. That's a bummer for the girl. She probably has not told that story again. Nice defiling.
    It did kinda freak me out as she she started screaming I was like I have not even gotten in the bath yet (laughter I was used to but not horror movie screams). Thankfully someone in our traveling circus at the time was sober enough to drive so we could get her to the ER fast. The 80's were filled with bad hair and stupid shit, you live and learn.

ADKOT I always find it interesting Stay Frosty always seem to top out in reviews and fan polls as favorite song. It was all new, was catchy, and definitely very Van Halen, sadly a victim of land wars. I think that is some of Dave's better lyrical work which is impressive to say any artist in the 60's does something at a peak level (avoiding the controversial "super peak " level). There's creative life in the band with all clear minds now it is the non-musical land wars and well just life stuff that gets in the way. Of course if they were not wrapped up in themselves they could say fuck ADKOT 2 and release the 2000 songs plus some new ones but of course Mike is on those so can't have that.

Tattoo and Chinatown did not work well live. Would have loved to see more rotation of a few more tracks.
    Last edited by Darrin Stephens; 09.29.16 at 11:47 AM.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Push comes to shove
    Last Online

11.19.19 @ 02:08 PM
    Liked 1,417 Times in 864 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by Darkness View Post
    Understand, I'm more of a Hagar fan and don't like VH4 anyway so I'm not trying to shit on Van Hagar at all. However, it's incredible to me that Tattoo, which was admittedly not well received, didn't even crack the top 10 on the mainstream rock charts, but VH's worst song (and one of the worst of all time), It's About Time, managed to hit #6. Was VH just more relevant in 2004 than in 2012?
    WGAF
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."

A patriot must always be ready to defend his country against his government.

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Women and Children First
    Favorite VH Song

Everybody Wants Some!!
    Last Online

11.18.19 @ 04:42 PM
    Liked 1,470 Times in 888 Posts

“Tattoo” is an okay song. Sometimes I listen to it, sometimes I hit skip. I get why they released it as the first single. Poppiest song on the album and they hoped to recreate some of the success of “Jump”.
    For their first song, from their first full album with Roth almost 30 years, they needed make a statement that they were back and ready to rock!