Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
Page 1 of 8 1234 ... LastLast
    Top Of The World
    Last Online

10.10.16 @ 12:00 PM
    Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts

Default Why did IAT get more airplay than Tattoo?

Understand, I'm more of a Hagar fan and don't like VH4 anyway so I'm not trying to shit on Van Hagar at all. However, it's incredible to me that Tattoo, which was admittedly not well received, didn't even crack the top 10 on the mainstream rock charts, but VH's worst song (and one of the worst of all time), It's About Time, managed to hit #6. Was VH just more relevant in 2004 than in 2012?

Hang 'Em High Get The Show On The Road's Avatar
    Favorite VH Album

Van Halen
    Favorite VH Song

I'm The One
    Last Online

12.02.16 @ 08:25 AM
    Liked 5,638 Times in 2,880 Posts

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by Darkness View Post
    Understand, I'm more of a Hagar fan and don't like VH4 anyway so I'm not trying to shit on Van Hagar at all. However, it's incredible to me that Tattoo, which was admittedly not well received, didn't even crack the top 10 on the mainstream rock charts, but VH's worst song (and one of the worst of all time), It's About Time, managed to hit #6. Was VH just more relevant in 2004 than in 2012?
    It's not their worst song.

There's one on OU812 that a good number of fans would state as their worst song, along with one on 5150, and a whole album of stuff on III.
    I don't always listen to hard rock, but when I do, I prefer Van Halen. Stay Frosty my friends.

3. The Following 2 Members Like This Post:

Favorite VH Song

Secrets
    Last Online

12.02.16 @ 09:11 AM
    Liked 482 Times in 250 Posts

Premium Member

Was VH just more relevant in 2004 than in 2012?
    VH hasn't been relevant since maybe 1998. And after VH3 they ceased to be.
    In 2004 they essentially became an "oldies" act like The Who or Rolling Stones.
    They can put out new music until their ears bleed but what people wanna hear are the radio staples like "Jump" and "Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love" and "Panama."

Just the way it goes.....
    some stuff I drew and/or filmed:
    http://portfolios.sva.edu/steveherold

Favorite VH Song

Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love
    Last Online

12.02.16 @ 09:17 AM
    Liked 876 Times in 544 Posts

Maybe if Tattoo came out when Dave first got back in the band (2007), it would've gotten more airplay than IAT.
    Remember the Heroes - 9/11/01

In 2012, the phoenix has risen!!

"High speed, low drag."

"Look at all the people here tonight!!!" - 10/5/07, 5/20/08 Mohegan Sun

Congratulations to Van Halen as part of the Class of 2007 Rock and Roll Hall of Fame!

Cinco de Cabo @ Foxwoods: "A giant party with live music" - S. Hagar

got tequila?

http://keepitaliveforever.com

6. The Following 3 Members Like This Post:

orig VH fan x craps champ edwardv's Avatar
    Favorite VH Album

diver down
    Favorite VH Song

drop dead legs
    Last Online

12.02.16 @ 09:49 AM
    Liked 1,268 Times in 801 Posts

Premium Member

I would not dial up Tattoo as a song of choice but I agree with Raldo it would have gotten a bit more airplay in 07. I honestly don't think that any single from ADKOT would have flown up the charts. Young people don't like VH. FM radio did give it a shot I heard it a few times. That's saying a lot because I have never heard any new Journey with Agere or Pineda for example
    EVH 1979: Well, actually it's not much of a vacation, because we run everything ourselves. We design our own album cover, we have to be in the office every day to sign checks - the whole corporation revolves around us. Nothing can be done without our approval. We even have photo approval.

8. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Favorite VH Album

Alex, Dave, Ed and Mike
    Favorite VH Song

Little Guitars
    Last Online

12.02.16 @ 09:35 AM
    Liked 11,814 Times in 5,785 Posts

Premium Member

Well, I have heard each of them the same amount on the radio. Once.

The local DJ's here killed IAT, and they killed Tattoo.

But all things aside, the reason is simple, they were closer to their glory days in 2004 than they were in 2012. No other reason.

I can still remember when DC101 played It's About Time, the DJ said afterwards "they better find some more time to write a better song" and it was never played again that I heard.
    Taylor Swift is nice to look at. Adele can sing.

Emperor Brett - "I can't believe you guys are analyzing song-by-song Van Halen III? What next, analyzing the script of Stroker Ace looking for some shred of Citizen Kane?"

David Lee Roth did the impossible. He made Van Halen better. Deal with it!

Preferred pronouns: he/him/his

Hurricane Halen - Let's all gingery touch our sword tips!!!

DONATE TO THE LINKS YA CHEAP BASTARDS!!!!

10. The Following 2 Members Like This Post:

Last Online

12.02.16 @ 09:40 AM
    Liked 1,626 Times in 639 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by Hide Your Sheep View Post
    VH hasn't been relevant since maybe 1998. And after VH3 they ceased to be.
    In 2004 they essentially became an "oldies" act like The Who or Rolling Stones.
    They can put out new music until their ears bleed but what people wanna hear are the radio staples like "Jump" and "Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love" and "Panama."

Just the way it goes.....
    The shame of the situation is that VH could've remained relevant had they continued putting out quality content consistently. Since VH3 was such a disaster it is almost like they hadn't put out anything of note since '96. So when Hagar finally returned it was semi relevant and got more airplay. And since the songs were mediocre at best VH faded into oldie act status as you said.

It's really sad because I feel like VH could've maintained better cultural relevance. Not U2 level, but decent enough.

orig VH fan x craps champ edwardv's Avatar
    Favorite VH Album

diver down
    Favorite VH Song

drop dead legs
    Last Online

12.02.16 @ 09:49 AM
    Liked 1,268 Times in 801 Posts

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jedi McFly View Post
    The shame of the situation is that VH could've remained relevant had they continued putting out quality content consistently. Since VH3 was such a disaster it is almost like they hadn't put out anything of note since '96. So when Hagar finally returned it was semi relevant and got more airplay. And since the songs were mediocre at best VH faded into oldie act status as you said.

It's really sad because I feel like VH could've maintained better cultural relevance. Not U2 level, but decent enough.
    Too late now.....that ship sailed in 98
    EVH 1979: Well, actually it's not much of a vacation, because we run everything ourselves. We design our own album cover, we have to be in the office every day to sign checks - the whole corporation revolves around us. Nothing can be done without our approval. We even have photo approval.

Last Online

12.01.16 @ 07:54 PM
    Liked 1,366 Times in 550 Posts

Premium Member

Suprisingly enough, Tattoo reached #67 on the Billboard top 100 singles chart as a hit. It's the first VH song to reach the Billboard top 100 singles since Can't Stop Lovin You in '95.
    I'll take It's About Time any day over CSLY.

14. The Following 4 Members Like This Post:

Favorite VH Album

Complete Zero
    Favorite VH Song

Lets Get Rockin
    Last Online

12.02.16 @ 04:43 AM
    Liked 1,715 Times in 687 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

Another reason could be that there just aren't as many rock stations on the air anymore as well as what is now considered rock. Throw some electric guitar in a Taylor Swift song and all of a sudden it's rock. In the market where I live there is maybe 1 rock station that doesn't classify itself as a classic rock station. There isn't a single over the air FM station that plays current rock music accept possibly WPLR.
    Neither of the songs mentioned even come close to Van Halen's greatest works but IMO they are not their worst either.
    I used to jog but the ice cubes kept falling out of my glass.

16. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Favorite VH Album

ADKOT
    Favorite VH Song

Outta Space
    Last Online

11.30.16 @ 04:11 PM
    Liked 293 Times in 159 Posts

Donor

Wait....you think IAT is worse than Tattoo? I would agree it's not their best effort, but it's a better song than Tattoo by a mile or two. Up For Breakfast, now that one is VHIII-worthy.

You pretty much answered the question, but it's a two-fold answer in reality:

One, VH was more relevant in 2004. Hell, it was 7 years earlier, of course they were more relevant.

Two, Tattoo is a terrible song. Just turrible. And everyone knows it, realized it at the time, laughed at it, and it died a quick death. Worst song to release as your first single with DLR since 1996. All the good songs on ADKOT, and you go with that one. Anything on the record would have been better that Tattoo.
    I asked a ref if he could give me a technical foul for thinking bad things about him. He said, of course not. I said, well, I think you stink. And he gave me a technical. You can't trust em. -
    Jimmy V

18. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Favorite VH Album

WOMEN AND CHILDREN FIRST/ADKOT
    Favorite VH Song

EVERYBODY WANTS SOME!!
    Last Online

12.02.16 @ 06:54 AM
    Liked 5,345 Times in 2,797 Posts

Premium Member

Tattoo is my least favorite track on ADKOT, but it is far from a terrible song.

20. The Following 5 Members Like This Post:

Last Online

12.02.16 @ 08:53 AM
    Liked 882 Times in 374 Posts

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by vcooper3 View Post
    Suprisingly enough, Tattoo reached #67 on the Billboard top 100 singles chart as a hit. It's the first VH song to reach the Billboard top 100 singles since Can't Stop Lovin You in '95.
    I'll take It's About Time any day over CSLY.

Bringing facts into it does not help, this is Van Halen.

The industry was vastly different in 04 vs 12. The industry was dying on the vine 04 but was rotting in the ground by 12. That context plus the fact it was almost a decade later with little support other than a black n white home made looking video that had no where to play. Given that context I actually thought Tattoo having the best Billboard top 100 position in decades is somewhat of an over perform. It is not the fan's choice of songs off ADKOT and an ok song with crap marketing that is to me better charting than expected. That said I always feel the marketing of Van Hagar was much more thoughtful and effective. Van Halen's marketing often seems a happy accident or after thought, while Van Hagar seemed to always be better planned from a marketing standpoint.
    Last edited by Darrin Stephens; 09.28.16 at 06:15 AM.

22. The Following 4 Members Like This Post:

Favorite VH Album

Women and Children First
    Favorite VH Song

Everybody Wants Some!!
    Last Online

12.01.16 @ 11:33 AM
    Liked 220 Times in 140 Posts

Almost all of the radio stations that play Van Halen are all oldies stations. They don't call themselves that, but that's what they are. It is very rare to hear any station in Chicago, that plays VH, Def Leppard, Aerosmith,... to play anything by any band released after the mid-90s.

The only exception I can think of, off the top of my head, Foo Fighters.

Favorite VH Album

Fair warning, 5150
    Favorite VH Song

HAIL, love walks in, 5150
    Last Online

@
    Liked 3,460 Times in 1,992 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

They still play stuff off of adkot on ozzys boneyard. Heard Chinatown not too long ago.

I don't listen to terrestrial radio.