Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
Save
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 23
  1. #1
    Hang 'Em High Hurricane Halen's Avatar
    Join Date
    07.17.03
    Age
    48
    Location
    Shreveport Louisiana
    Posts
    6,580
    Favorite VH Album

    All of them
    Favorite VH Song

    All of them
    Last Online

    09.24.17 @ 07:51 PM
    Likes
    3,021
    Liked 2,273 Times in 1,245 Posts

    Default Light Up the Sky VH Tribute.....

















    For a group of older guys that really don't look the part, not to shabby on the musicianship side of things. Just takes a moment to get your head round what you're actually watching.

    HH<-----Mods, please move this to the appropriate location because quiet frankly, I don't know where that might be. It's VH, but not VH, but VH related because its a VH tribute etc etc etc....---------------
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    VH LINKS Resident Paramedic/Firefighter
    #officialhashtaghater
    Copyright holder of all things, "<-----------------"

    UC<------Goal in life to be included in an HH sig-----

  2. The Following Member Likes This Post:


  3. #2
    Baluchitherium Harpospoke's Avatar
    Join Date
    03.12.12
    Location
    Dallas, TX
    Posts
    4,104
    Favorite VH Album

    Van Halen II
    Favorite VH Song

    Dance the Night Away
    Last Online

    09.24.17 @ 05:57 PM
    Likes
    9,480
    Liked 2,629 Times in 1,346 Posts

    Default

    I've seen a few tribute acts lately and the trend seems to be concentrating more on the sound of the songs than the look. I like to have both, but I guess the sound is more important. Seems like most of them now don't even bother trying to look like the artists. I saw a David Bowie tribute and they put no effort into it at all..and he was a very visual artist.

  4. The Following Member Likes This Post:


  5. #3
    Atomic Punk Get The Show On The Road's Avatar
    Join Date
    01.05.12
    Age
    42
    Location
    Castle Rock, CO
    Posts
    10,174
    Favorite VH Album

    Van Halen
    Favorite VH Song

    I'm The One
    Last Online

    09.24.17 @ 08:28 PM
    Likes
    15,232
    Liked 9,896 Times in 5,213 Posts


    Premium Member

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Hurricane Halen View Post
















    For a group of older guys that really don't look the part, not to shabby on the musicianship side of things. Just takes a moment to get your head round what you're actually watching.

    HH<-----Mods, please move this to the appropriate location because quiet frankly, I don't know where that might be. It's VH, but not VH, but VH related because its a VH tribute etc etc etc....---------------
    Dude looked and sounded more like Vince Neil than DLR, but it was good.
    I don't always listen to hard rock, but when I do, I prefer Van Halen. Stay Frosty my friends.

  6. The Following 2 Members Like This Post:


  7. #4
    Good Enough hubs's Avatar
    Join Date
    02.05.02
    Age
    46
    Location
    Lincoln, NE
    Posts
    1,570
    Favorite VH Album

    1984
    Favorite VH Song

    the one Ed plays guitar on
    Last Online

    09.24.17 @ 08:47 PM
    Likes
    970
    Liked 762 Times in 405 Posts


    Premium Member

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Get The Show On The Road View Post
    Dude looked and sounded more like Vince Neil than DLR, but it was good.

    ...damn it, you beat me to it...

  8. The Following 3 Members Like This Post:


  9. #5
    Atomic Punk Get The Show On The Road's Avatar
    Join Date
    01.05.12
    Age
    42
    Location
    Castle Rock, CO
    Posts
    10,174
    Favorite VH Album

    Van Halen
    Favorite VH Song

    I'm The One
    Last Online

    09.24.17 @ 08:28 PM
    Likes
    15,232
    Liked 9,896 Times in 5,213 Posts


    Premium Member

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by hubs View Post
    ...damn it, you beat me to it...
    At least I now know that I wasn't imagining things...
    I don't always listen to hard rock, but when I do, I prefer Van Halen. Stay Frosty my friends.

  10. The Following Member Likes This Post:


  11. #6
    Atomic Punk atomicpunk5151's Avatar
    Join Date
    05.26.04
    Location
    NOR-CAL
    Posts
    13,192
    Favorite VH Album

    Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

    Unchained, Hear About It Later
    Last Online

    09.22.17 @ 02:40 PM
    Likes
    1,754
    Liked 1,814 Times in 1,252 Posts

    Default

    After Ralph and Russ left "The Atomicpunks"...... They probably should have just made a rule outlawing VH tribute bands. Shit will never get better then that.


  12. #7
    Atomic Punk Get The Show On The Road's Avatar
    Join Date
    01.05.12
    Age
    42
    Location
    Castle Rock, CO
    Posts
    10,174
    Favorite VH Album

    Van Halen
    Favorite VH Song

    I'm The One
    Last Online

    09.24.17 @ 08:28 PM
    Likes
    15,232
    Liked 9,896 Times in 5,213 Posts


    Premium Member

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Harpospoke View Post
    I've seen a few tribute acts lately and the trend seems to be concentrating more on the sound of the songs than the look. I like to have both, but I guess the sound is more important. Seems like most of them now don't even bother trying to look like the artists. I saw a David Bowie tribute and they put no effort into it at all..and he was a very visual artist.
    It's funny that you mention this because I have toyed with the idea of trying to put together a Van Halen tribute band because I like playing Van Halen music and none of the cover bands I see around here ever do it.

    However, I refuse to put on a wig or striped coveralls and I'm not buying or building a Frankenstrat. I get that some people dig it, and I'm not trying to be insulting but as a grown man I would just feel ridiculous doing something like that. But that's just me, obviously a lot of people don't feel that way and a few of them are making good money doing it so more power to them.
    I don't always listen to hard rock, but when I do, I prefer Van Halen. Stay Frosty my friends.

  13. #8
    Good Enough hubs's Avatar
    Join Date
    02.05.02
    Age
    46
    Location
    Lincoln, NE
    Posts
    1,570
    Favorite VH Album

    1984
    Favorite VH Song

    the one Ed plays guitar on
    Last Online

    09.24.17 @ 08:47 PM
    Likes
    970
    Liked 762 Times in 405 Posts


    Premium Member

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Get The Show On The Road View Post
    However, I refuse to put on a wig or striped coveralls and I'm not buying or building a Frankenstrat. I get that some people dig it, and I'm not trying to be insulting but as a grown man I would just feel ridiculous doing something like that. But that's just me, obviously a lot of people don't feel that way and a few of them are making good money doing it so more power to them.

    ...I'm of the same opinion, GTSOTR.

    To me, you've got two ways to go if you wanna do the whole "tribute" vibe:

    1. If you can nail the look and the vibe, I'll give you a slight pass on the sound. You don't have to play note-for-note, or have THE perfect sound, but get close...80-85% (almost there) is good enough. But NAIL the vibe. After all, image is everything.

    2. If you don't have the looks but you have the chops, then just play...and stay as far away from the "look" as you can: NO Frankenstrats, NO exact replicas of Al's ki, NO chaps and spandex, etc. Just focus on the music, and I'll understand if you come out in jeans and sneakers playing a plain black guitar.


    ...my band has done the occasional "tribute" set...8-10, maybe 12 songs from one band (we've done STP, AIC, and The Foos), but it was part of a multi-band event or a fundraising effort. And we did NOT worry about trying to cop the "look", either.

  14. The Following Member Likes This Post:


  15. #9
    Baluchitherium Harpospoke's Avatar
    Join Date
    03.12.12
    Location
    Dallas, TX
    Posts
    4,104
    Favorite VH Album

    Van Halen II
    Favorite VH Song

    Dance the Night Away
    Last Online

    09.24.17 @ 05:57 PM
    Likes
    9,480
    Liked 2,629 Times in 1,346 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Get The Show On The Road View Post
    It's funny that you mention this because I have toyed with the idea of trying to put together a Van Halen tribute band because I like playing Van Halen music and none of the cover bands I see around here ever do it.

    However, I refuse to put on a wig or striped coveralls and I'm not buying or building a Frankenstrat. I get that some people dig it, and I'm not trying to be insulting but as a grown man I would just feel ridiculous doing something like that. But that's just me, obviously a lot of people don't feel that way and a few of them are making good money doing it so more power to them.
    I doubt it would be a problem nowadays. It's getting rarer to see an act do the look too. There is even a Beatles tribute act that makes no effort to look like them.


  16. The Following Member Likes This Post:


  17. #10
    Eruption xk319's Avatar
    Join Date
    09.10.07
    Posts
    806
    Favorite VH Album

    Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

    In a Simple Rhyme
    Last Online

    09.24.17 @ 12:24 AM
    Likes
    565
    Liked 383 Times in 170 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by atomicpunk5151 View Post
    After Ralph and Russ left "The Atomicpunks"...... They probably should have just made a rule outlawing VH tribute bands. Shit will never get better then that.
    Naw, they weren't that great...


  18. The Following Member Likes This Post:


  19. #11
    Good Enough pickslide's Avatar
    Join Date
    02.02.04
    Age
    48
    Location
    Jacksonville, FL
    Posts
    1,708
    Favorite VH Album

    Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

    Mean Street
    Last Online

    09.22.17 @ 12:48 PM
    Likes
    664
    Liked 695 Times in 373 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by xk319 View Post
    Naw, they weren't that great...

    Great job on that solo. That thing is murder...

    TK

  20. The Following 2 Members Like This Post:


  21. #12
    Eruption
    Join Date
    03.07.16
    Posts
    949
    Last Online

    09.24.17 @ 06:00 PM
    Likes
    1,291
    Liked 1,457 Times in 601 Posts


    Premium Member

    Default

    Hope the fat "Dave" in that cover band doesn't go for the split off the drum riser, it will result in someone getting a doctor.


  22. #13
    Emperor of VHLinks.com Brett's Avatar
    Join Date
    09.02.99
    Age
    46
    Location
    Somewhere Near LA
    Posts
    67,999
    Favorite VH Album

    Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

    Unchained
    Last Online

    09.24.17 @ 11:27 PM
    Likes
    1,131
    Liked 10,889 Times in 4,614 Posts

    Default

    There were the Punks with Ralph and then there's everyone else.
    Webmaster
    VHLinks.com - Your Van Halen Internet Resource Guide
    http://www.vhlinks.com

    JamToThis.com
    Audio/Video Trading Community
    Tons of Van Halen!


  23. #14
    Atomic Punk I Coulda Hada VH's Avatar
    Join Date
    12.29.00
    Location
    Land O' Lakers
    Posts
    28,763
    Favorite VH Album

    The First One
    Favorite VH Song

    I'm The One
    Last Online

    09.24.17 @ 02:39 PM
    Likes
    9,281
    Liked 15,377 Times in 8,710 Posts


    Premium Member

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Brett View Post
    There were the Punks with Ralph and then there's everyone else.
    I'll never forget the first time I saw them at the Anaheim House of Blues back in the summer of 2000. I was completely blown away. Brian Young did the best impersonation of Eddie Van Halen I've ever seen. Flawless.
    "It's so lonely at the top because it's so crowded at the bottom" - Diamond David Lee Roth

    "If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving is not for you"

    "Be careful what you wish for because you just might lose what you already have"

    "Women and Children First ... The REAL Van Halen III"

  24. The Following Member Likes This Post:


  25. #15
    Atomic Punk atomicpunk5151's Avatar
    Join Date
    05.26.04
    Location
    NOR-CAL
    Posts
    13,192
    Favorite VH Album

    Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

    Unchained, Hear About It Later
    Last Online

    09.22.17 @ 02:40 PM
    Likes
    1,754
    Liked 1,814 Times in 1,252 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by I Coulda Hada VH View Post
    I'll never forget the first time I saw them at the Anaheim House of Blues back in the summer of 2000. I was completely blown away. Brian Young did the best impersonation of Eddie Van Halen I've ever seen. Flawless.
    I first saw Ralph and The Atomic Punks in 1994. They carried the DLR-era VH torch through some DARK YEARS....lol... They were the one band playing DEEP VH tracks, the ones I wanted to hear.

    Bart Walsh nailed the EVH parts as well. Saw them many times with B Young and Russ as well.

 

 

Similar Threads

  1. Light Up The Sky
    By space4rent5150 in forum Main VH Discussion
    Replies: 53
    Last Post: 06.11.12, 07:41 PM
  2. Light Up the Sky
    By extreme red roth in forum VH Songs/Albums/Videos
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 09.25.05, 04:16 AM
  3. Bud Light I Said!!!!!
    By JCM 800 in forum VH Fans Meeting Place (Non-Music)
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 08.17.05, 07:53 PM
  4. Does anyone have the new Beatles tribute album or the Sun Records tribute album...wel
    By Blind Willie Loons in forum VH Fans Meeting Place (Music Only)
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 02.23.02, 10:57 AM
  5. Light In The Sky
    By Wolfie3 in forum VH Songs/Albums/Videos
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 12.19.01, 11:21 AM

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •