Register
Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast
    Favorite VH Album

Van Halen
    Last Online

07.24.17 @ 04:17 PM
    Liked 602 Times in 379 Posts

Default Ed's Major Scale Exercise from Steven Rosen interview

My buddy Bill (who goes by wjamflan on the MetroAmp forum) and I have been working on some licks together recently and Bill transcribed the amazing A maj. scale alternate picking workout that Eddie quickly tosses out like it was nothing (around the 6:22 mark):

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    E---|----------------------------------------------------------------------------|
    B---|----------------------------------------------------------------------------|
    G---|----------------------------------------------------------------------------|
    D---|---------------------------------------------------------4-------------4---|
    A---|----------------4---5--------4---5---7---4---5---7---------5---7--------|
    E---|---5-(5)---7------------7--------------------------------------------------|
    ---------D-------D--U---D---U---D---U---D---U---D---U---D---U---D---U----

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    E---|-----------------------------------------------------------------------------|
    B---|-----------------------------------------------------------------------------|
    G---|----------------------------------------4------------4---6--------4---6---|
    D---|---6--------4---6---7---4---6---7---------6---7------------7-------------|
    A---|--------7-------------------------------------------------------------------|
    E---|-----------------------------------------------------------------------------|
    ---------D---U---D---U---D---U---D---U---D---U---D---U---D---U---D---U-----

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    E---|-----------------------------------------------------4--------4---7---5---|
    B---|---------------------5-------------5---7---5---7--------5-----------------|
    G---|---7---4---6---7--------6---7--------------------------------------------|
    D---|----------------------------------------------------------------------------|
    A---|----------------------------------------------------------------------------|
    ---------D---U---D---U---D---U---D---U---D---U---D---U---D---U---D---U----

---------B1----~~~~~~~~~-------------------------------------------------------
    E---|---5-------------------------------------------------------------------------|
    B---|---8-(10)-------------------------------------------------------------------|
    G---|----------------------------------------------------------------------------|
    D---|----------------------------------------------------------------------------|
    A---|----------------------------------------------------------------------------|
    ---------D-------------------------------------------------------------------------

And here it is slowed down:

http://www.mediafire.com/?n0219zoc40plikz (1/5 speed) - starts at 6:22

This is a GREAT workout and it is the only time you will ever hear Eddie actually play a major scale (or almost any scale besides blues scales)...the picking attack is the important thing here. Pay CLOSE attention to the picking directions (ie. "Up" or "Down"...)...this is an exercise in alternate picking.

Essentially, Eddie's picking technique comes either straight from a few patterns by Eric Clapton or alternate picking. I've gone over one Clapton pattern in my "Clapton/Van Halen Lesson" clip before and there are a couple of others from Clapton...but everything else is alternate picking. And this is a great exercise/lesson in alternate picking DIRECT from Eddie. This is interview is as close as you can get to Eddie giving you an actual lesson because that's exactly what he's doing. Bill and I have learned A TON from this whole interview, including the reinforcement of the Clapton licks when he demos the ending solos to "You Really Got Me" and "Ice Cream Man" which I have gone over before. It also proved my discoveries about how he kept the vintage tremolo system in tune by diving with the bar to get the guitar back in tune (that I've also discussed before)...you can hear him diving with the bar to get back in tune all over the place in this interview.

Enjoy this alternate picking drill and work with a metronome to eventually get up to Eddie's blinding speed and AGAIN PLAY CLOSE ATTENTION TO THE PICKING DIRECTIONS! It will really help you greatly if you should decide to put the effort into learning his music as note-for-note correctly as you can...
    Last edited by garbeaj; 09.26.16 at 09:54 AM.

Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Favorite VH Song

Aint Talkin Bout Love
    Last Online

07.26.17 @ 06:26 AM
    Liked 390 Times in 173 Posts

awesome thanks Allen.... cant wait to check into this one bro...

Rob

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen
    Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by 5150rob View Post
    awesome thanks Allen.... cant wait to check into this one bro...

Rob
    Hey Rob! Get in your martial arts mode and start drilling this with a metronome with these specific picking directions...you will start experiencing the unique "pop" on the upstrokes that Eddie gets in this interview clip. This is a real eye opener to the aggressive "popping" sounds that you hear in this interview and you can really hear it in the picked parts at the beginning of "Spanish Fly". You'll start to realize that the aggressive sound of Eddie's pick attack is not really because of picking hard...it's really because of the picking directions, especially the "pop" on the upstrokes that just don't occur with a downstroke.

In fact, try playing the notes in this exercise that are on the G string that I have notated as "Up"-strokes as "Down"-strokes instead...I think you will hear the dramatic difference in the response of the string and you'll see, hear and feel the "pop" that makes Eddie's pick attack so aggressive. Just use a comfortable "medium" picking force as you play through the pattern, you'll find the picking directions will give you the aggression without picking extremely hard. BIG part of Eddie's playing that gets missed so often, but he lays it all out to Steven Rosen in this interview.
    Last edited by garbeaj; 09.26.16 at 12:03 PM.

4. The Following 3 Members Like This Post:

Favorite VH Album

All four
    Favorite VH Song

One, Sky, Control, Movies
    Last Online

07.25.17 @ 02:31 PM
    Liked 378 Times in 247 Posts

Thanks for posting that garbeaj!
    Just hearing Edward noodle around (that's his phrase) on that clip, solved about 5 or 6 snags I've had for years! Thanks!
    It seems when the guitar is at that low volume, it's very clear and pure.

Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Favorite VH Song

Aint Talkin Bout Love
    Last Online

07.26.17 @ 06:26 AM
    Liked 390 Times in 173 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by garbeaj View Post
    Hey Rob! Get in your martial arts mode and start drilling this with a metronome with these specific picking directions...you will start experiencing the unique "pop" on the upstrokes that Eddie gets in this interview clip. This is a real eye opener to the aggressive "popping" sounds that you hear in this interview and you can really hear it in the picked parts at the beginning of "Spanish Fly". You'll start to realize that the aggressive sound of Eddie's pick attack is not really because of picking hard...it's really because of the picking directions, especially the "pop" on the upstrokes that just don't occur with a downstroke.

In fact, try playing the notes in this exercise that are on the G string that I have notated as "Up"-strokes as "Down"-strokes instead...I think you will hear the dramatic difference in the response of the string and you'll see, hear and feel the "pop" that makes Eddie's pick attack so aggressive. Just use a comfortable "medium" picking force as you play through the pattern, you'll find the picking directions will give you the aggression without picking extremely hard. BIG part of Eddie's playing that gets missed so often, but he lays it all out to Steven Rosen in this interview.
    awesome Allen.... awesome. I am working on this tonight after work. I will for sure as I am excited to get this down.

Rob

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen
    Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by 5150rob View Post
    awesome Allen.... awesome. I am working on this tonight after work. I will for sure as I am excited to get this down.

Rob
    Awesome Rob! This little exercise is proof that Eddie DID know and practice the major scale and alternate picking...not noodling around, not playing a fingerboard pattern that makes no musical sense or playing a Clapton lick-he's just doing what everybody does, and he says so right before he plays the exercise!

8. The Following 2 Members Like This Post:

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

RightNowSummerNights5150Dreams
    Last Online

07.21.17 @ 12:26 PM
    Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts

I noticed twice now eddie referring to his tremolo as a spasum. And he's able to skip strings with this what seems very inaccurate method. I'm guessing it's down to a huge amount of practice to keep his hand steady and his hypermobile thumb. I appreciate the notation. What is 5 (5) ? B1? 8 (10)? ~~~~ is tremolo correct?
    Last edited by ReProgrammer; 09.27.16 at 09:25 AM.

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen
    Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by ReProgrammer View Post
    I noticed twice now eddie referring to his tremolo as a spasum. And he's able to skip strings with this what seems very inaccurate method. I'm guessing it's down to a huge amount of practice to keep his hand steady and his hypermobile thumb. I appreciate the notation. What is 5 (5) ? B1? 8 (10)? ~~~~ is tremolo correct?
    Thanks very much!

I wouldn't say that Eddie skips strings while tremolo picking. The famous "Kreutzer Etude" tremolo picked melody in "Eruption" is played entirely on the first (high E) string. There is no movement in the thumb in Eddie's tremolo picking...all the movement comes from the wrist.

The parentheses around the second "5" in my TAB indicates that you hold the note for another beat after you first strike the low E string at the fifth fret. The last part you mentioned is simply a full step bend at the 8th fret of the B string while striking and holding the note (A) at the 5th fret of the first (high E) string.

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts

Thanks man, I'm to drunk to comprehend the last part of your message atm lol but as for his tremlo, in the 1989 video in tokyo of uhh.. rock something, jeezz this damn wine. There's only one way to rock. He does a very fast run across the strings at. damn I have to focus lol. look at 3:40 i've got high and just have the expression of holy fuck watching him do this. He really inspires me he play guitar. Some people make me depressed to play... but ed. he's a true original. Love him. Once again thanks for the notation I'm not good enough yet to play by ear and anythiñg I can get from eddie I play non stop, He's a real driving force for me in my practice.

And by hypermobile thumb I mean the position he's able to hold the pick and do this wrist "spasm" he has hitchhikers thumb. Unlike me
    Last edited by ReProgrammer; 09.27.16 at 11:32 AM.

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen
    Last Online

Yep, that's tremolo picking on one string at a time, but he does go from one string to another as you described.

I really don't have any advice for tremolo picking, it's just always come easy to me. I was able to do it up to speed exactly as Eddie does it from the moment I first picked up a guitar when I was 8 years old. I don't use the same motion as Eddie does, but I do it mostly from the wrist as well.

Atomic Punk Get The Show On The Road's Avatar
    Favorite VH Album

Van Halen
    Favorite VH Song

I'm The One
    Last Online

07.26.17 @ 05:38 AM
    Liked 8,933 Times in 4,694 Posts

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by garbeaj View Post
    Yep, that's tremolo picking on one string at a time, but he does go from one string to another as you described.

I really don't have any advice for tremolo picking, it's just always come easy to me. I was able to do it up to speed exactly as Eddie does it from the moment I first picked up a guitar when I was 8 years old. I don't use the same motion as Eddie does, but I do it mostly from the wrist as well.
    That's one thing that came easy to me too. But like you I don't do it quite like Ed, I kind of rest my pinky on my guitar but it's still from the wrist. I don't "float" above the bridge like Ed does.
    I don't always listen to hard rock, but when I do, I prefer Van Halen. Stay Frosty my friends.

14. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts

I also can tremolo at that speed if I'm anchored, but it is dull and uninspiring. When eddie does it with his sarod/butterfly wrist movement, it's a performance, a display. An added extra that adds to his showman ship and something I've been very inspired by, almost like when I first discovered quick scoping in mw2, it's an added element of depth to improve on and enjoy. Anyway I don't wish to highjack your thread änd go off topic. I really appreciate the notation and will be practicing this. Thank you.

16. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen
    Last Online

I also can tremolo at that speed if I'm anchored, but it is dull and uninspiring. When eddie does it with his sarod/butterfly wrist movement, it's a performance, a display. An added extra that adds to his showman ship and something I've been very inspired by, almost like when I first discovered quick scoping in mw2, it's an added element of depth to improve on and enjoy. Anyway I don't wish to highjack your thread änd go off topic. I really appreciate the notation and will be practicing this. Thank you.
    You are very welcome!

Last Online

07.25.17 @ 02:34 PM
    Liked 373 Times in 220 Posts

Respectfully disagree about the showmanship aspect. Ed doesnt tap to show off. I don't think he tremelo picks in that method to show off. It's the most efficient method for smooth super fast picking. It's part of my arsenal just like the whammy bar. Just a part of How I play. I assume it's the same with Ed.
    VH III is Ed's solo album. So everybody who keeps saying they wish he'd do one needs to stfu and listen to III. Then stfu again.

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen
    Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by AFU View Post
    Respectfully disagree about the showmanship aspect. Ed doesnt tap to show off. I don't think he tremelo picks in that method to show off. It's the most efficient method for smooth super fast picking. It's part of my arsenal just like the whammy bar. Just a part of How I play. I assume it's the same with Ed.
    I don't think Re Programmer was saying that Eddie did it to show off...I think he was making the point that Eddie's tremolo picking motion just happens to look extremely cool while being his natural movement for tremolo picking. That movement is not natural for me at all and I can tremolo pick easily...if I were to learn that movement it would only benefit me because it looks cool, not because it would improve my tremolo picking.

I think we all can agree with you that Eddie's tremolo picking was no stage stunt, but rather his natural and best movement for him

20. The Following Member Likes This Post: