Favorite VH Album

('78-'84) VH 1; ('86-'95) 5150
    Favorite VH Song

Dave- I'm The One ; Sam- 5150
    Last Online

10.19.17 @ 01:01 AM
    Liked 1,027 Times in 543 Posts

Default Finally got a Stealth

Got it this past week and have had 5 days to feel it out and see what's up with it. And holy shit this is easily the best guitar I've ever owned or played. I'm blown away. It's so good that I've already sold my Unchained Striped Series and have my Wolf Standard up for sale.

Got it for $785 as an open box item and it showed up in pristine mint condition. It's stunning in person and the neck is to die for. My biggest surprise is how noticeably better it feels than the Wolf Standard. And that's not a knock on the Standard. I've played one for four months and think it's a great guitar. But this is a whole other level. I'm most blown away by the rock solid tuning and ease of setup of the Floyd. I've been dicking around with Floyd's for a while now and have never had one cooperate so well and stay in tune as tight as this.

Really can't say enough about it. My guitar search is over. This is so perfect I don't know what more I could want. Like I said, it's knocked two guitars out of my collection (I only had four before getting this). Just an amazing guitar.

VH with Dave ('78-'84) - The best years....the "real" VH.
    VH with Sam ('86-'96) - Incredible era....."We have renamed this town 'New Halen!'.
    VH with Gary ('98) - Fucking disaster. WTF was that??
    VH with Wolf/Dave ('12-'15) - Amazing comeback. Smokin' album and tours.

2. The Following 9 Members Like This Post:

Whoa, this is heavy! Jedi McFly's Avatar
    Last Online

10.19.17 @ 05:58 AM
    Liked 2,755 Times in 1,040 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

Nice grab, congrats! I love my MIM special, but sometimes I do regret not getting the Stealth for the ebony fretboard. Now post some clips of it in action!

4. The Following 3 Members Like This Post:

Favorite VH Album

VH, 1984, 5150, F.U.C.K.
    Favorite VH Song

A few of Daves, a few of Sams!
    Last Online

10.19.17 @ 02:34 AM
    Liked 6,673 Times in 4,777 Posts

Premium Member

Congrats on the new axe! Hard to tell from your vague post, but what do you think of it? Haha. J/K.

Glad you're enjoying it.
    "There's too many people on this basketball that's floating around the sun, who are too afraid to allow themselves to FEEL" - Edward Van Halen
    "Van Halen was never about the singer..." - a very wise fan.
    "Embrace the past. Live in the moment but keep your eyes on the future, and keep on moving forward..." - Richie Sambora

6. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Last Online

10.16.17 @ 09:53 AM
    Liked 716 Times in 334 Posts

Congrats on the find. I would say if you find a MIM Wolf Special that plays good out of the box, hang on to it. Mine required some slight modification to make it right. Seems like quality control is somewhat erratic from what I've seen.

I got a MIM Stealth Special, and kept it for a week. I just couldn't get used to the Ebony Fretboard. The setup and fitment on the Stealth was perfect, but I traded it for a gloss black MIM Special, which had a couple fitment issues. I had to lower both pickups int the body more, and discovered the holes for the Floyd nut were drilled slightly off angle, and made the nut have a gap between the nut and the fingerboard that you could slide a heavy pick into. No big deal to make the necessary adjustments, since I was going to be dropping chrome hardware and a new bridge pickup in it anyway, but it's funny how different the quality control was between the two guitars.
    "Having an opinion that people disagree with doesn't make you a Douche, arguing with the people who disagree with your opinion and calling them stupid does!" -Me.

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by nobozos View Post
    Congrats on the find. I would say if you find a MIM Wolf Special that plays good out of the box, hang on to it. Mine required some slight modification to make it right. Seems like quality control is somewhat erratic from what I've seen.

I got a MIM Stealth Special, and kept it for a week. I just couldn't get used to the Ebony Fretboard. The setup and fitment on the Stealth was perfect, but I traded it for a gloss black MIM Special, which had a couple fitment issues. I had to lower both pickups int the body more, and discovered the holes for the Floyd nut were drilled slightly off angle, and made the nut have a gap between the nut and the fingerboard that you could slide a heavy pick into. No big deal to make the necessary adjustments, since I was going to be dropping chrome hardware and a new bridge pickup in it anyway, but it's funny how different the quality control was between the two guitars.
    Interesting. I wouldn't expect that kind of randomness on the quality control. I guess I did get lucky.

Funny you mention the ebony fretboard. As bad as I've wanted a stealth for a few years now the only thing that made me hesitant was the fretboard. I wasn't sure how I'd adapt to the dark frets but it's turned out to be a non-issue. Felt comfortable with it right away.
    VH with Sam ('86-'96) - Incredible era....."We have renamed this town 'New Halen!'.

Hot For Teacher
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Cant pick 1!
    Last Online

08.27.17 @ 02:51 PM
    Liked 96 Times in 77 Posts

Welcome to the club!
    Yeah, I had set up issues too but once sorted out this axe cant be beat.

10. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

10.16.17 @ 06:18 AM
    Liked 20 Times in 13 Posts

Donor

Congrats on the new guitar! I'm a die hard MM fan but have been seriously considering a MiM Special. Are the newer ones (Natural, Satin Red, Drab Green and Gold) the only MiM specials with the EVH Wolfgang pickups? I'm under the impression the other ones (including the Stealth) don't have the EVH Wolfgangs. Is that correct?

Thanks
    Orange whip?

12. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by edhalen View Post
    Congrats on the new guitar! I'm a die hard MM fan but have been seriously considering a MiM Special. Are the newer ones (Natural, Satin Red, Drab Green and Gold) the only MiM specials with the EVH Wolfgang pickups? I'm under the impression the other ones (including the Stealth) don't have the EVH Wolfgangs. Is that correct?

Thanks
    No, all of the Wolf's have Wolf pickups.