Register
Save
    Favorite VH Album

The Magnificent 7
    Last Online

10.17.17 @ 12:32 PM
    Liked 11,163 Times in 6,146 Posts

Premium Member

Default How a scientist learned to work with exorcists.

Being that Halloween is just around the corner, I thought this would be cool to share.

Richard Gallagher is a board-certified psychiatrist and a professor of clinical psychiatry at New York Medical College. He is at work on a book about demonic possession in the United States.

As a psychiatrist, I diagnose mental illness. Also, I help spot demonic possession.

By Richard Gallagher July 1, 2016

In the late 1980s, I was introduced to a self-styled Satanic high priestess. She called herself a witch and dressed the part, with flowing dark clothes and black eye shadow around to her temples. In our many discussions, she acknowledged worshipping Satan as his “queen.”

I’m a man of science and a lover of history; after studying the classics at Princeton, I trained in psychiatry at Yale and in psychoanalysis at Columbia. That background is why a Catholic priest had asked my professional opinion, which I offered pro bono, about whether this woman was suffering from a mental disorder. This was at the height of the national panic about Satanism. (In a case that helped induce the hysteria, Virginia McMartin and others had recently been charged with alleged Satanic ritual abuse at a Los Angeles preschool; the charges were later dropped.) So I was inclined to skepticism. But my subject’s behavior exceeded what I could explain with my training. She could tell some people their secret weaknesses, such as undue pride. She knew how individuals she’d never known had died, including my mother and her fatal case of ovarian cancer. Six people later vouched to me that, during her exorcisms, they heard her speaking multiple languages, including Latin, completely unfamiliar to her outside of her trances. This was not psychosis; it was what I can only describe as paranormal ability. I concluded that she was possessed. Much later, she permitted me to tell her story.

The priest who had asked for my opinion of this bizarre case was the most experienced exorcist in the country at the time, an erudite and sensible man. I had told him that, even as a practicing Catholic, I wasn’t likely to go in for a lot of hocus-pocus. “Well,” he replied, “unless we thought you were not easily fooled, we would hardly have wanted you to assist us.”

So began an unlikely partnership. For the past two-and-a-half decades and over several hundred consultations, I’ve helped clergy from multiple denominations and faiths to filter episodes of mental illness — which represent the overwhelming majority of cases — from, literally, the devil’s work. It’s an unlikely role for an academic physician, but I don’t see these two aspects of my career in conflict. The same habits that shape what I do as a professor and psychiatrist — open-mindedness, respect for evidence and compassion for suffering people — led me to aid in the work of discerning attacks by what I believe are evil spirits and, just as critically, differentiating these extremely rare events from medical conditions.

Is it possible to be a sophisticated psychiatrist and believe that evil spirits are, however seldom, assailing humans? Most of my scientific colleagues and friends say no, because of their frequent contact with patients who are deluded about demons, their general skepticism of the supernatural, and their commitment to employ only standard, peer-reviewed treatments that do not potentially mislead (a definite risk) or harm vulnerable patients. But careful observation of the evidence presented to me in my career has led me to believe that certain extremely uncommon cases can be explained no other way.

The Vatican does not track global or countrywide exorcism, but in my experience and according to the priests I meet, demand is rising. The United States is home to about 50 “stable” exorcists — those who have been designated by bishops to combat demonic activity on a semi-regular basis — up from just 12 a decade ago, according to the Rev. Vincent Lampert, an Indianapolis-based priest-exorcist who is active in the International Association of Exorcists. (He receives about 20 inquiries per week, double the number from when his bishop appointed him in 2005.) The Catholic Church has responded by offering greater resources for clergy members who wish to address the problem. In 2010, for instance, the U.S. Conference of Catholic Bishops organized a meeting in Baltimore for interested clergy. In 2014, Pope Francis formally recognized the IAE, 400 members of which are to convene in Rome this October. Members believe in such strange cases because they are constantly called upon to help. (I served for a time as a scientific adviser on the group’s governing board.)

Unfortunately, not all clergy involved in this complex field are as cautious as the priest who first approached me. In some circles, there is a tendency to become overly preoccupied with putative demonic explanations and to see the devil everywhere. Fundamentalist misdiagnoses and absurd or even dangerous “treatments,” such as beating victims, have sometimes occurred, especially in developing countries. This is perhaps why exorcism has a negative connotation in some quarters. People with psychological problems should receive psychological treatment.

But I believe I’ve seen the real thing. Assaults upon individuals are classified either as “demonic possessions” or as the slightly more common but less intense attacks usually called “oppressions.” A possessed individual may suddenly, in a type of trance, voice statements of astonishing venom and contempt for religion, while understanding and speaking various foreign languages previously unknown to them. The subject might also exhibit enormous strength or even the extraordinarily rare phenomenon of levitation. (I have not witnessed a levitation myself, but half a dozen people I work with vow that they’ve seen it in the course of their exorcisms.) He or she might demonstrate “hidden knowledge” of all sorts of things — like how a stranger’s loved ones died, what secret sins she has committed, even where people are at a given moment. These are skills that cannot be explained except by special psychic or preternatural ability.

I have personally encountered these rationally inexplicable features, along with other paranormal phenomena. My vantage is unusual: As a consulting doctor, I think I have seen more cases of possession than any other physician in the world.

Most of the people I evaluate in this role suffer from the more prosaic problems of a medical disorder. Anyone even faintly familiar with mental illnesses knows that individuals who think they are being attacked by malign spirits are generally experiencing nothing of the sort. Practitioners see psychotic patients all the time who claim to see or hear demons; histrionic or highly suggestible individuals, such as those suffering from dissociative identity syndromes; and patients with personality disorders who are prone to misinterpret destructive feelings, in what exorcists sometimes call a “pseudo-possession,” via the defense mechanism of an externalizing projection. But what am I supposed to make of patients who unexpectedly start speaking perfect Latin?

I approach each situation with an initial skepticism. I technically do not make my own “diagnosis” of possession but inform the clergy that the symptoms in question have no conceivable medical cause.

I am aware of the way many psychiatrists view this sort of work. While the American Psychiatric Association has no official opinion on these affairs, the field (like society at large) is full of unpersuadable skeptics and occasionally doctrinaire materialists who are often oddly vitriolic in their opposition to all things spiritual. My job is to assist people seeking help, not to convince doctors who are not subject to suasion. Yet I’ve been pleasantly surprised by the number of psychiatrists and other mental health practitioners nowadays who are open to entertaining such hypotheses. Many believe exactly what I do, though they may be reluctant to speak out.

As a man of reason, I’ve had to rationalize the seemingly irrational. Questions about how a scientifically trained physician can believe “such outdated and unscientific nonsense,” as I’ve been asked, have a simple answer. I honestly weigh the evidence. I have been told simplistically that levitation defies the laws of gravity, and, well, of course it does! We are not dealing here with purely material reality, but with the spiritual realm. One cannot force these creatures to undergo lab studies or submit to scientific manipulation; they will also hardly allow themselves to be easily recorded by video equipment, as skeptics sometimes demand. (The official Catholic Catechism holds that demons are sentient and possess their own wills; as they are fallen angels, they are also craftier than humans. That’s how they sow confusion and seed doubt, after all.) Nor does the church wish to compromise a sufferer’s privacy, any more than doctors want to compromise a patient’s confidentiality.

Ignorance and superstition have often surrounded stories of demonic possession in various cultures, and surely many alleged episodes can be explained by fraud, chicanery or mental pathology. But anthropologists agree that nearly all cultureshave believed in spirits, and the vast majority of societies (including our own) have recorded dramatic stories of spirit possession. Despite varying interpretations, multiple depictions of the same phenomena in astonishingly consistent ways offer cumulative evidence of their credibility.

As a psychoanalyst, a blanket rejection of the possibility of demonic attacks seems less logical, and often wishful in nature, than a careful appraisal of the facts. As I see it, the evidence for possession is like the evidence for George Washington’s crossing of the Delaware. In both cases, written historical accounts with numerous sound witnesses testify to their accuracy.

In the end, however, it was not an academic or dogmatic view that propelled me into this line of work. I was asked to consult about people in pain. I have always thought that, if requested to help a tortured person, a physician should not arbitrarily refuse to get involved. Those who dismiss these cases unwittingly prevent patients from receiving the help they desperately require, either by failing to recommend them for psychiatric treatment (which most clearly need) or by not informing their spiritual ministers that something beyond a mental or other illness seems to be the issue. For any person of science or faith, it should be impossible to turn one’s back on a tormented soul.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/poste...=.c66ca681d452
     "He has a swaggering retro machismo that will give hives to the Steinem cabal" -Camille Paglia on Donald Trump

"Make way for the bad guy"- Tony Montana

'This hamburger don't need no helper"- David Lee Roth

"I wish Bon Jovi would've given me a call before he recorded all of his hits, because the lyrics would've been smarter, the melodies would've been much more smashing, and they would've sold a lot fewer records." -David Lee Roth

"My beef is people thinking Bon Jovi is good cuz they sold lots of records to housewives." -tango

"But being number one doesn’t really mean jack fuck all. We sold twice as many records as other records that year (1984) that landed in the Number One position." ~Eddie Van Halen

Favorite VH Album

The Magnificent 7
    Last Online

Premium Member

I read the book, heard tons of interviews and speeches. This guy was brilliant, controversial, and had an interesting life.

"He has a swaggering retro machismo that will give hives to the Steinem cabal" -Camille Paglia on Donald Trump

"I wish Bon Jovi would've given me a call before he recorded all of his hits, because the lyrics would've been smarter, the melodies would've been much more smashing, and they would've sold a lot fewer records." -David Lee Roth

"My beef is people thinking Bon Jovi is good cuz they sold lots of records to housewives." -tango

"But being number one doesn’t really mean jack fuck all. We sold twice as many records as other records that year (1984) that landed in the Number One position." ~Eddie Van Halen

Favorite VH Album

The Magnificent 7
    Last Online

Premium Member

Venice: William Friedkin on Shooting a Real Exorcism: ‘It Was Terrifying!’

SEPTEMBER 3, 2017 

William Friedkin shot “The Exorcist” in 1973, he had never seen an exorcism, though even at the time he believed in the power of this rite. Decades later, the U.S. director came full circle when he was able to film one close up — involving violent thrashing, foaming at the mouth and screaming — thanks to Father Gabriele Amorth, who performed exorcisms for the Vatican’s Rome Diocese. The result is documentary “The Devil and Father Amorth,” which screened at the Venice Film Festival. Friedkin spoke to Variety about the experience.

How did you and Father Amorth connect?

I was familiar with his books, four or five of which are translated into English. And I knew that he was kindly disposed towards “The Exorcist” movie, even though he had said the special effects were over the top. He felt that it helped people to understand his work. I had never tried to meet him; I never thought I could. But I was in Lucca [Italy] a year or so ago…and someone casually mentioned that Lucca was about a half-hour drive to Pisa…where there was an airport where I could catch a one-hour flight to Rome. Something clicked, and through a friend I was able to write Father Amorth. Two days later he wrote me back, and said he would meet me.

So it was your idea?

Yes. This idea just popped onto my head. I call it providential. I had an inner voice that said to me, “I wonder if I could meet Father Amorth?”

It’s a known fact that Amorth was a fan of “The Exorcist.” It’s really so wonderful that in that film you had been able to capture something that resonated for him, even without doing that much research into the specifics of what he did.

There is no research; the only research is his books. In the United States in the 20th century, there were two reported cases of possession, as far as Mr. Blatty [who wrote the novel “The Exorcist”] and I could tell. There were only two cases that had any substantial writing about them in the United States….The church doesn’t say a lot about this. They don’t try to publicize it at all. They are not promoting it. I doubt that they will even have a position about my film [this latest one]. They never comment about these things. I doubt that they would have given me permission to do what I did. He gave me permission, and he operated quite independently from church procedure and was openly critical of the Vatican.

The amazing thing is that you were able to get access to a real exorcism so easily.

I was shocked. I had no idea that I would ever be able to even meet with him. I did know how busy he was. He was doing exorcisms all day every day right up until he went into the hospital and then died [in September 2016].

Why do you think you got the access?

I think I came along at a time when he wanted people to become aware of this work because he wanted the Vatican to train more exorcists. He believed that I had enough cachet to take his story…that I would be able to bring it to the public by way of a film.

Tell me about the shoot.

I had to shoot it alone, obviously. The conditions were that I come along with no crew and no lights. So I used a Sony still camera that shot high-definition video. I had only that camera running and I was about two feet away from them, probably even closer.

What was the experience of witnessing a real exorcism so close up like?

It was terrifying. I went from being afraid of what could happen to feeling a great deal of empathy with this woman’s pain and suffering, which is obvious in the film.

As I understand it, Amorth had been doing exorcisms on her for some time.

The one that I filmed was her ninth, and she was having one a month.

You have subsequently consulted with scientists in the U.S. about what you witnessed and filmed. What did they say?

I consulted with neurologists, brain surgeons, some of the best in the United States. The brain surgeons had no idea what her affliction was and none of them would recommend an operation. They believe that everything originates in the brain but — and they say this in the film — they have never seen anything quite like these symptoms….Then the psychiatrists…all described how psychiatry now recognizes demonic possession. It’s called dissociative identity disorder/demonic possession. And if a patient comes in and says they are possessed by a demon or a devil, they don’t tell them that they are not….They do whatever psychiatric treatment they think is necessary, including medication. And they bring an exorcist in.

http://variety.com/2017/film/festiva...sm-1202546386/

Favorite VH Album

=VH= II
    Last Online

10.17.17 @ 10:51 AM
    Liked 702 Times in 339 Posts

Premium Member

Never mess around with Ouija boards or witchcraft/magic/occult or any new age spirituality. You're begging for real trouble if you do.

Demonology's a fascinating subject. It's good to know your enemy by studying what is the nature of these things, studying these cases, etc. But NEVER mess with the occult or invite or try to contact spirits. Know how to protect yourself (in Christ), and what NOT to do. Be careful.

Christ speaks to this reality of malevolent spiritual entities and he acts on it multiple times, performs exorcism's, and grants power to his Apostles to fight/exorcise these devils.

Here's an interesting account from a case involving a family in Indiana a few years ago which was documented by state health officials and police. One of so many strange happenings in this case. The Department of Child Services got involved and took Latoya Ammons children from her, believing that she was delusional and abusing her children. Then at the hospital this happened....

According to Washington's original DCS report — an account corroborated by Walker, the nurse — the 9-year-old had a "weird grin" and walked backward up a wall to the ceiling. He then flipped over Campbell, landing on his feet. He never let go of his grandmother's hand.

"He walked up the wall, flipped over her and stood there," Walker told The Star. "There's no way he could've done that."

Later, police asked Washington whether the boy had run up the wall, as though performing an acrobatic trick.

No, Washington told them. She said the boy "glided backward on the floor, wall and ceiling," according to a police report.

Washington did not respond to The Star's requests for comment.

But she told police she was scared when it happened and ran out of the room. As for Walker, Washington said, "he ran out of the room with me."

"We didn't know what was going on," Walker told The Star. "That was crazy. I was like, 'Everybody gotta go.' "

Intake officers report (page 4 in particular) > https://www.documentcloud.org/docume...rs-report.html

Story > http://www.indystar.com/story/news/2...mmons/4892553/

Other testimonies online too from police and heath officials involved with this case.

Very interesting account you posted from Dr. Gallagher, bboy.
    Here he is speaking on it >> https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...hard+Gallagher
    _-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_

5. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Atomic Punk Get The Show On The Road's Avatar
    Favorite VH Album

Van Halen
    Favorite VH Song

I'm The One
    Last Online

10.17.17 @ 03:36 PM
    Liked 10,157 Times in 5,343 Posts

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by Wruff_ajax View Post
    Never mess around with Ouija boards or witchcraft/magic/occult or any new age spirituality. You're begging for real trouble if you do.

Demonology's a fascinating subject. It's good to know your enemy by studying what is the nature of these things, studying these cases, etc. But NEVER mess with the occult or invite or try to contact spirits. Know how to protect yourself (in Christ), and what NOT to do. Be careful.

Christ speaks to this reality of malevolent spiritual entities and he acts on it multiple times, performs exorcism's, and grants power to his Apostles to fight/exorcise these devils.

Here's an interesting account from a case involving a family in Indiana a few years ago which was documented by state health officials and police. One of so many strange happenings in this case. The Department of Child Services got involved and took Latoya Ammons children from her, believing that she was delusional and abusing her children. Then at the hospital this happened....

According to Washington's original DCS report — an account corroborated by Walker, the nurse — the 9-year-old had a "weird grin" and walked backward up a wall to the ceiling. He then flipped over Campbell, landing on his feet. He never let go of his grandmother's hand.

"He walked up the wall, flipped over her and stood there," Walker told The Star. "There's no way he could've done that."

Later, police asked Washington whether the boy had run up the wall, as though performing an acrobatic trick.

No, Washington told them. She said the boy "glided backward on the floor, wall and ceiling," according to a police report.

But she told police she was scared when it happened and ran out of the room. As for Walker, Washington said, "he ran out of the room with me."

"We didn't know what was going on," Walker told The Star. "That was crazy. I was like, 'Everybody gotta go.' "

Intake officers report (page 4 in particular) > https://www.documentcloud.org/docume...rs-report.html

Other testimonies online too from police and heath officials involved with this case.

Here he is speaking on it >> https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...hard+Gallagher
    I remember reading about that. Something I hope I never see.
    I don't always listen to hard rock, but when I do, I prefer Van Halen. Stay Frosty my friends.

Eruption
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

I'm The One
    Last Online

10.17.17 @ 06:59 AM
    Liked 644 Times in 355 Posts

Premium Member

I've seen people allowing possession a few times during various religious festivals. It's quite fascinating albeit very strange.

Favorite VH Album

The Magnificent 7
    Last Online

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by Wruff_ajax View Post

The Latoya Ammons case. I posted that when it happened. Very creepy

http://www.vhlinks.com/vbforums/thre...ted-In-Indiana

Favorite VH Album

=VH= II
    Last Online

10.17.17 @ 10:51 AM
    Liked 702 Times in 339 Posts

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by bklynboy68 View Post
    The Latoya Ammons case. I posted that when it happened. Very creepy

http://www.vhlinks.com/vbforums/thre...ted-In-Indiana
    I just read Zig's Ouija testimony there. Wild stuff, Zig. Right in line too with so many peoples experiences while (and well after) messing around w those boards.
    _-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_

10. The Following 2 Members Like This Post:

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Dance the Night Away
    Last Online

10.17.17 @ 09:51 AM
    Liked 4,644 Times in 2,368 Posts

Premium Member

Yeah when I talk about some of the shit that I have seen for about in my life, a lot of people look at me weird. I don't know if I attracted shit (well some of it I was looking for trouble) but just experienced crap that can't be explained.

So here is a story about messing with shit (to go along with that link), so when I was in Scotland I had a friend who lived in this big old house. I think it was 10 bedrooms or something like. Had a servants quarters and a couple of cannons in the front yard. Beautiful. The mother would go on business trips so there would be weeks where we would just hang out. So we used to actually do Ouija stuff without a board. Would write letters on post it notes, use a shot glass and sit around this circular table.

I remember one time my friends were doing it and talking to a spirit. I was just talking to my friend and he is like "I am hungry, lets make some eggs" so off we go into the kitchen. Pass the stair case and he stops. Points up and there is an old man standing up there dressed in something like Victorian clothes. Not solid, not translucent....it was dark but he was there and then not. We kind of flip out go into the room and tell our friends. Well the sister and brother who lived there took us to the bathroom adjacent to where we were at. They had about hundred photos on the wall of various things. Just stuff to look at it but never pay attention to. So they pointed to one and there was the man we just saw. They said he used to live there early 1900's and was a scientist or something. They would see him from time to time or hear his bell. Guess where we were doing the Ouija used to be his study. His wife didn't want him to drink so he put a pressure sensor on the bed so when she would lie down, a bell would ring in his den. So he would have a drink or three when she went to bed. They said they would hear sometimes.

One time we brought the home made Ouija board to his grave to tell him not to haunt the place. Brought some candles, etc and it was a calm night. No wind which was unusual for Scotland. Anyway placed it on his grave and went to work. About 5 minutes in a huge gust of wind blew out all the candles and we got the fuck out of there. However they never saw him again.

Anyway bunch of weird shirt like this has happened to me throughout my life. I stay away from it now because I don't want to have an exorcist type of moment. Well one time I had a scare with something else so I just leave shit be

12. The Following 2 Members Like This Post: